PDA

View Full Version : US needs to transcend neo-con view

thisisgiparti
12-11-2007, 10:43 AM
INTERNATIONAL headlines during the past week have been focused on the Bali conference on combating climate change. But headlines in Washington, DC, have been focused on the release of a National Intelligence Estimate saying that Iran stopped its nuclear weapons program in 2003, thereby contradicting the frequent statements from the White House concerning the imminence of a nuclear-armed Iran. That contrast highlights the wide gulf between the US view of the world and the rest of the world's view of itself.

President George W. Bush sees the world as engaged in an epic struggle that pits tyranny against freedom, tyranny that today takes the primary form of Islamo-fascism. Islamo-fascists are the heirs to Nazis and communists, determined to suppress individual freedom in the name of a totalitarian ideology.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22901329-7583,00.html

NOTE: I liked how this Australian journalist urges "it is important to avoid a swing of the classic pendulum in US foreign policy back towards isolationism." I suppose that is classic in the sense that isolationism went out with McKinley. Basically, I saw this piece as endorsing any Democrat over Guiliani, but I was encouraged by the title.

thisisgiparti
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
no opinions? huh.

also, here is something Lew Rockwell posted where Ron Paul elaborates on 'The Neoconservative Empire.' After all, globalism is imperialism but carried out through corporations now instead of nations. http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul369.html

adwads
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree that the neo-cons are trying to scare us regarding terrorism, and that there are a lot of other issues that we need to be focusing on as well...but I don't like the globalist tendencies in the article...

thisisgiparti
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
it seems like everything is a talking point. they say and do two different things.

the Iraq war is bad. / we'll stay there till 2013.

Bush is an idiot. / I voted for the war and every budget proposal.

"freedom." / the Patriot Act, waterboarding, Halliburton camps

I am fiscally conservative. / I raise taxes, and I have crooked friends.

then if you oppose these things, you're an isolationist. the more the press gangs up on Ron Paul or ignores him, the more convinced I am that he is perceived as a threat to the establishment. I hope he wins.