PDA

View Full Version : ‘Cake Is Speech’

goldenequity
09-09-2017, 06:44 PM
‘Cake Is Speech’ Is Now The Official Position Of The U.S. Government
http://truepundit.com/cake-is-speech-is-now-the-official-position-of-the-u-s-government/

https://i1.wp.com/truepundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Chocolate-Cake-5-1-Yoast.jpg?resize=1392%2C575

The U.S. Department of Justice filed an amicus (or “friend-of-the-court”) brief Thursday arguing that wedding cakes are a form of creative expression, and individuals cannot be coerced into expression with which they disagree.

The Roberts Court has taken an extremely capacious view of the First Amendment, finding that videos depicting violence against animals and the Westboro Baptist Church’s protests of military funerals are protected forms of artistic and political expression.

jkr
09-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Good!

fedupinmo
09-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Tasty, tasty speech... :p

CaptUSA
09-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Oh for crying out loud... Speech?! Really?! You're refusal to exchange with someone is now making a statement?!

Listen, I guess I like the outcome of the ruling, but the justification is beyond ridiculous. It's a freedom of association thing. It takes two to voluntarily make an exchange and if either party doesn't want to, the exchange doesn't happen. We don't need to bring freedom of speech into this.

dannno
09-09-2017, 07:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdHZ9OFHIpY

phill4paul
09-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Oh for crying out loud... Speech?! Really?! You're refusal to exchange with someone is now making a statement?!

Listen, I guess I like the outcome of the ruling, but the justification is beyond ridiculous. It's a freedom of association thing. It takes two to voluntarily make an exchange and if either party doesn't want to, the exchange doesn't happen. We don't need to bring freedom of speech into this.

Agreed.

euphemia
09-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Refusing to sell you a lawn mower is a refusal to exchange. Refusing to produce an artistic expression of sentiment is free speech. Kind of sad people don't know the difference.

Dr.3D
09-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Let them eat, free speech.

euphemia
09-10-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm down with that. The creative element is the key. A cake or a set of photographs is a one-off creation. I tend to be a bit artsy, and I could not express a principle or thought contrary to my own deeply held religious convictions. That means I would not participate in a lot of things, including establishment Republican kinds of things. I could not pay tribute to Lamar Alexander or Bob Corker through my work. I would not treat them disrespectfully in person, but I also would not create a piece of art that would celebrate what they represent.

On the other hand, if a gay neighbor had a birthday or had a death in the family, he or she would get a nice original card for that, and I would probably make a dish for them.

Natural Citizen
09-10-2017, 12:40 PM
But muh intellectual property.

euphemia
09-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Nobody said anything about intellectual property. I'm talking about creating a custom one-of-a-kind piece of art to convey a message that runs counter to deeply held religious beliefs. There is a big difference between that and selling a stock item off the shelf in a store.

William Tell
09-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Listen, I guess I like the outcome of the ruling, but the justification is beyond ridiculous. It's a freedom of association thing. It takes two to voluntarily make an exchange and if either party doesn't want to, the exchange doesn't happen. We don't need to bring freedom of speech into this.I'm with you in principle but good luck getting government to recognize we have a right to freedom of association. That one's been a losing issue for a long time. I'll take this, here's to hoping it stands.

Natural Citizen
09-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Nobody said anything about intellectual property.

That's right. Nobody did. Amateurs. :)

The right to property is what should be the basis of this thread. Not freedom of association. Not speech. Property. Property is liberty's primary support. That's what shoud be guiding the terms of controversy in the discussion.

The right to property is the main aspect of economic liberty. I'll say it again. Economic liberty is inseparable from the Indivisible whole of the right to Individual Liberty and any supporting principles thereof. Without economic liberty, the rest of the principles of Individual Liberty lack material support. Including freedom of association. As a consequence, any rights to Individual Liberty as an Indivisible whole cannot be defended or enjoyed. Freedom of association, while an important aspect, is after the fact and is dependent upon the former in order to be deemed defendable and enjoyable.

It's right to property/right to economic liberty/ right to freedom of association. And in that order. Not vice versa or any other way. The latter is dependent upon establishment of the former.

The terms in the op are just moving the goal posts. The proper return is NOT to meet them in the middle of wherever they feel like moving them.

Origanalist
09-10-2017, 10:52 PM
I'm sure Gary Johnson is devastated.

GunnyFreedom
09-11-2017, 05:35 AM
I'm sure Gary Johnson is devastated.

Damn. Out of rep

Danke
09-11-2017, 05:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdHZ9OFHIpY

Why Dannno, why?

shakey1
09-11-2017, 05:53 AM
Damn. Out of rep

got it.:)

euphemia
09-11-2017, 06:03 AM
Ii disagree that it's only about property or association. It is also about government trying to force me to put out a messqge that violates deeply held religious convictions. The government cannot make me speak when I choose not to. And I don't have to give a reason.

dannno
09-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Why Dannno, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daaH4WAlIX0

Wooden Indian
09-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Is art covered by Free Speech?

Origanalist
09-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Why Dannno, why?

You watched it?

Origanalist
09-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Is art covered by Free Speech?
dannno 's art is covered with something. I don't know if I would call it free speech.

Danke
09-11-2017, 09:27 PM
You watched it?

I look at every thing dannno posts, you and AF...not so much.

dannno
09-11-2017, 09:36 PM
You watched it?

Bitches love cake.

It's a fantastic allegory for life.

Slutter McGee
09-11-2017, 09:46 PM
And you guys hated my threads? lol

Origanalist
09-12-2017, 05:56 AM
I look at every thing dannno posts, you and AF...not so much.

It shows.