PDA

View Full Version : Trump Jr. Says He Wanted Russian Dirt to Determine Clinton’s ‘Fitness’ for Office

Zippyjuan
09-07-2017, 04:21 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/us/politics/trump-russia-investigation.html?mcubz=0

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump Jr. told Senate investigators on Thursday that he set up a June 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer because he was intrigued that she might have damaging information about Hillary Clinton, saying it was important to learn about Mrs. Clinton’s “fitness” to be president.

But nothing came of the Trump Tower meeting, he said, and he was adamant that he never colluded with the Russian government’s campaign to disrupt last year’s presidential election.

In a prepared statement during an interview with Senate Judiciary Committee investigators, the younger Mr. Trump said he was initially conflicted when he heard that the lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, might have damaging information about Mrs. Clinton. Despite his interest, he said, he always intended to consult with his own lawyers about the propriety of using any information that Ms. Veselnitskaya, who has ties to the Kremlin, gave him at the meeting.

A copy of Mr. Trump’s statement was obtained by The New York Times.

The acknowledgment by the president’s eldest son that he intended to seek legal counsel after the meeting suggests that he knew, or at least suspected, that accepting potentially damaging information about a rival campaign from a foreign country raised thorny legal issues.

“To the extent they had information concerning the fitness, character or qualifications of a presidential candidate, I believed that I should at least hear them out,” he said. “Depending on what, if any, information they had, I could then consult with counsel to make an informed decision as to whether to give it further consideration.”

Mr. Trump sat down with committee investigators in the Capitol shortly before 9:30 a.m. and was expected to remain under questioning for several hours. The interview was being conducted by staff, but a handful of Democratic senators attended.

Mr. Trump entered the Capitol under cover and did not speak with reporters.

The June 2016 meeting came about after the younger Mr. Trump received an email from a family associate saying that potentially damaging information was being provided as part of the Russian government’s support for his father. But in his statement on Thursday, he described his decision to agree to the meeting as the byproduct of the chaotic, seat-of-the pants campaign assembled by his father, rather than any attempt to collude with Russia.

Mr. Trump has given differing accounts of his contacts last year with Russians. He told the Times in March that he never met with Russians on behalf of the campaign, a statement his lawyer has since said was meant to refer to Russian government officials. In July, he described the Trump Tower meeting as primarily focused on the issue of Russian adoptions, before eventually acknowledging that he took the meeting because he was told Ms. Veselnitskaya had damaging information about Mrs. Clinton.

But intentionally misspeaking to Congress is a crime, giving his statement on Thursday added weight.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Let me know when you have something.

https://www.playerattack.com/imagery/2015/01/skeleton-computer.jpg

jllundqu
09-07-2017, 04:26 PM
I stopped reading at "https://www.nytimes"

Swordsmyth
09-07-2017, 04:31 PM
CPUd would be proud of this worthless post.

Ender
09-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Is FOX still on the "good" list?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/07/trump-jr-says-wanted-to-know-about-clintons-fitness-for-office-in-russian-lawyer-meeting.html

Swordsmyth
09-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Is FOX still on the "good" list?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/07/trump-jr-says-wanted-to-know-about-clintons-fitness-for-office-in-russian-lawyer-meeting.html

I wouldn't know, I judge each story on it's merits.

Danke
09-07-2017, 04:55 PM

Those are big shoes to fill, do you think this Zippy version is up to the task?

Swordsmyth
09-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Those are big shoes to fill, do you think this Zippy version is up to the task?

No not unless he gets a chatbot to run his account while he sleeps.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-07-2017, 05:11 PM
I stopped reading at "https://www.nytimes"

I stopped reading at "Zippyjuan--Supporting Member"

Zippyjuan
09-07-2017, 05:34 PM

So you never read any of my posts.

timosman
09-07-2017, 05:35 PM

This account has not been very entertaining lately.:rolleyes:

timosman
09-07-2017, 05:36 PM

We need a poll.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-07-2017, 05:38 PM

Any? You mean zero?

timosman
09-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Any? You mean zero?

Zippy - an apprentice of the art of logic stretching.

nikcers
09-07-2017, 05:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jdt6F8P.gif

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-07-2017, 05:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nTPjbXU.jpg

lol

nikcers
09-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Trump Jr. Says He Wanted Russian Dirt to Determine Clinton’s ‘Fitness’ for Office
Certainly a lot of conspiracies ranging from her throwing up and taking a shit in the middle of the street to a robot malfunctioning and body doubles during the campaign and she didn't even make appearances for a long time. There will be more conspiracies about the 2016 election before Trump's presidency is over, I think its going to be the democrat's benghazi. I certainly like reading them for entertainment, just got to know that we won't get to know the truth about stuff like that, people that leak shit out like that die.

juleswin
09-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Certainly a lot of conspiracies ranging from her throwing up and taking a $#@! in the middle of the street to a robot malfunctioning and body doubles during the campaign and she didn't even make appearances for a long time. There will be more conspiracies about the 2016 election before Trump's presidency is over, I think its going to be the democrat's benghazi. I certainly like reading them for entertainment, just got to know that we won't get to know the truth about stuff like that, people that leak $#@! out like that die.

Does that mean you think there is something with this Russia collusion story? cos last I checked, Benghazi was a real scandal that the republicans bungled because they too supported the war in Libya and the running of arm to Syria.

juleswin
09-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Assuming this story is 100% true, why is any of this a problem? I don't get it.

This is the biggest non story I can remember in a long time and the fact that everybody including the Trump seem to be playing along drives me crazy. Just say that yes you got information from the Russians about Hillary, I'd love to know what thorny legal issue the Russia gate people are talking about.

Zippyjuan
09-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Assuming this story is 100% true, why is any of this a problem? I don't get it.

This is the biggest non story I can remember in a long time and the fact that everybody including the Trump seem to be playing along drives me crazy. Just say that yes you got information from the Russians about Hillary, I'd love to know what thorny legal issue the Russia gate people are talking about.

The issue is that the meeting might have been in violation of campaign laws. http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-emails-illegal-campaign-2017-7

He admitted that he took the meeting because he was promised secret information on Hillary Clinton from a foreign government.

Campaign legal experts on Tuesday said Donald Trump Jr.'s self-published email correspondence showed that he violated a key campaign law.

In the correspondence, which chronicled the organization of a June 2016 meeting with a Russian lawyer that members of President Donald Trump's inner circle believed would produce dirt on Hillary Clinton, Trump Jr. was told that a Russian official had "offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father."

And the British publicist who helped organize the meeting described the information as being "part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump," something that prompted Trump Jr. to respond that "if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer."

Experts said there was a clear violation of 52 USC 30121, 36 USC 510, a law that prohibits contributions to campaigns from foreign nationals.

"If these emails are not a hoax, they are the smoking gun showing that Donald Trump Jr. illegally solicited a contribution from a foreign national — in the form of opposition research against Hillary Clinton — as our complaints yesterday alleged," Paul S. Ryan, the vice president of policy and litigation at Common Cause, said in a statement after Trump Jr. tweeted out the emails on Tuesday.

Common Cause, a nonpartisan ethics organization, filed a complaint with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and the special counsel leading the FBI's investigation into Russian election meddling, Robert Mueller, on Monday. It came after a series of New York Times stories beginning Saturday detailed the previously unreported meeting of Trump Jr.; Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya; the Trump campaign chair at the time, Paul Manafort; and Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

The complaint requested that the Department of Justice investigate whether the Trump campaign and Trump Jr. solicited an illegal campaign contribution from a foreign national, a violation of the law listed above.

The law contains two key passages as it relates to the Trump Jr. meeting.

The first: "A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election."

The email exchange showed that information was promised from a foreign national — in this case the Russian government — and would be presented by a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer. The line "other thing of value," experts said, covers opposition research or damaging information on another candidate.

Brendan Fischer, the director of the Federal Election Commission reform program at the Campaign Legal Center, told Business Insider that the FEC had previously interpreted the definition of "other thing of value" to include nonmonetary contributions in relation to the foreign national ban.

"So getting opposition research or dirt on Hillary Clinton, or however they tried to portray it, would constitute a contribution both on the definition of a contribution and on the foreign-national contribution ban," he said. "And then solicitation: Did Trump Jr. solicit the contribution? I think there the answer is also yes."

That leads to the second key passage, which says: "No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by" the law.

Regardless of whether Trump Jr. received any information, which he insists he did not, the solicitation of the meeting violates this statute, Ryan said.

Swordsmyth
09-07-2017, 06:58 PM
The issue is that the meeting might have been in violation of campaign laws. http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-emails-illegal-campaign-2017-7

He admitted that he took the meeting because he was promised secret information on Hillary Clinton from a foreign government.

That is not how "Thing of value" has EVER been understood, besides if it had been true the information would have been "Priceless".

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-07-2017, 07:00 PM
The issue is that the meeting might have been in violation of campaign laws.

Call me when "might" turns into something more substantial.

Ooooo, secret information! Did he find out that Sultry Sally was stuffing her shirts? And so he dropped her as his prom date?

Jamesiv1
09-07-2017, 07:08 PM
nothingburger

juleswin
09-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Does this law also apply to anyone from any other country? or just Russia? For some reason it seems like this is the first time anyone has brought up this so called law. This is just a bunch of nonsense and I think even you know it.

Zippyjuan
09-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Does this law also apply to anyone from any other country? or just Russia? For some reason it seems like this is the first time anyone has brought up this so called law. This is just a bunch of nonsense and I think even you know it.

Any foreign government or national.

"A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election."

"No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by" the law.

timosman
09-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Any foreign government or national.

Zippy, I talked to your mom and she is concerned you have not called her in a while. Maybe tonight would be a good time?

Swordsmyth
09-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Zippy, I talked to your mom and she is concerned you have not called her in a while. Maybe tonight would be a good time?

You spoke to Hitlery?

spudea
09-07-2017, 07:55 PM
That is not how "Thing of value" has EVER been understood, besides if it had been true the information would have been "Priceless".

He's already been told this in a prior thread on the topic but he doesn't care.

timosman
09-07-2017, 08:00 PM
He's already been told this in a prior thread on the topic but he doesn't care.

I think we all should be concerned about Zippy's mental state. I sure hope it all ends well.

nikcers
09-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Does that mean you think there is something with this Russia collusion story? cos last I checked, Benghazi was a real scandal that the republicans bungled because they too supported the war in Libya and the running of arm to Syria.
I think there is something with Clinton being sick, I think that's why she spent so long without doing any press and then when she finally started doing press she looked like she was have seizures. I think that was part of it. I think that could of been why they ran controlled opposition in the first place,

They might not of thought Clinton was healthy enough to campaign for president or win the nomination. That's the interesting part to this thread/story because if the Trumps supported the Clinton's like I suspected then its possible that they wanted to know what the Russians knew because otherwise they could just tell the whole world Clinton has cancer or something. It's literally the one thing I look forward to reading about every day ever since I heard about Mccain getting Cancer.