PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

Anti Federalist
09-05-2017, 03:26 AM
The fact that most all of Hollyweird has spent the last year screaming in the face of roughly half their audience that they are essentially despicable, deplorable, disgusting human beings and should die as quickly as possible, had nothing at all to do with it. :rolleyes:

Hollywood Calls a Wrap on $3.8 Billion Summer, Worst Since 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-04/hollywood-calls-a-wrap-on-3-8-billion-summer-worst-since-2006

By Anousha Sakoui
and Megan Durisin

September 4, 2017, 12:39 PM EDT

The credits have rolled on Hollywood’s worst summer in a decade, closing out with a dismal Labor Day weekend that was the first in a generation without a big, new movie opening in wide release.

The summer drew a little more than $3.8 billion in sales, the first time the season’s tally has dipped below the $4 billion mark since 2006, according to Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at researcher ComScore Inc. The holiday weekend generated about $99.5 million in U.S. and Canadian theaters from Friday through Monday, the least since 1998, according to Comscore data.

DamianTV
09-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Easy fix. Stop making shitty movies, reboots, sequels, and instead offer us up some new fresh and innovative ideas that actually entertain us!

oyarde
09-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Obama probably would have started on working on a bailout for them . Trump would just offer to buy it all for 10k .

r3volution 3.0
09-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Easy fix. Stop making shitty movies

...pretty much sums it up.

angelatc
09-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Easy fix. Stop making shitty movies, reboots, sequels, and instead offer us up some new fresh and innovative ideas that actually entertain us!

With the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on entertainment. I quit going right about the time the last Harry Potter came out, I think. Hollywood elites literally insult conservatives on a regular basis. Why would I continue to fund them?

phill4paul
09-05-2017, 08:54 AM

What??? You're not just dying to see a Batman 're-imagining' with a black transgender Brucilla Wayne??? Say it ain't so!

enhanced_deficit
09-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, it is probably unrelaed to the fact that HW neocons were major financial sponsors of the "Founding Father" of ISIS terrorist group.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2017, 09:47 AM
What??? You're not just dying to see a Batman 're-imagining' with a black transgender Brucilla Wayne??? Say it ain't so!

Jaws where Hooper is a black man, Martin Brody a lesbian Asian, and Quint a 110 lb white chick who could kick 25 men's asses at a time after being the first female graduate of Navy SEAL training, and instead of being sunk on the Indianapolis was attacked by a misunderstood shark on an eco-tour of the Great Barrier Reef.

They don't kill the shark, but tranquilize it and fly it to new home off the coast of Costa Rica.

Ender
09-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Easy fix. Stop making $#@!ty movies, reboots, sequels, and instead offer us up some new fresh and innovative ideas that actually entertain us!

Exactly.

Big money in Hollywood always wants to make the huge success that was just made. The good news is that true innovators now have a chance at turning out some good films.

Dark_Horse_Rider
09-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Fuck You Hollywood !

Wooden Indian
09-05-2017, 11:13 AM
The Dark Tower is a perfect example of this. I've been a big King fan and a Tower junkie for 25 years or so, and was ecstatic to hear the film was being made.... Then Hollywood went all Hollywood and liberals liberaled...

Dumbed down version of a masterpiece designed to appeal to dimwitted SJWs.

angelatc
09-05-2017, 11:19 AM
The Dark Tower is a perfect example of this. I've been a big Kin fan and a Tower junkie for 25 years or so, and was ecstatic to hear the film was being made.... Then Hollywood went all Hollywood and liberals liberaled...

King is a dim-witted SJW. I used to buy all his books - hardback, as soon as they came out. When he started using social media to insult me, I stopped. I sold all the SK books I had. I really have no interest is reading anything of his ever again. Even The Stand.

phill4paul
09-05-2017, 11:22 AM
The Dark Tower is a perfect example of this. I've been a big King fan and a Tower junkie for 25 years or so, and was ecstatic to hear the film was being made.... Then Hollywood went all Hollywood and liberals liberaled...

Yup. Will not see.

King is a dim-witted SJW. I used to buy all his books - hardback, as soon as they came out. When he started using social media to insult me, I stopped. I sold all the SK books I had. I really have no interest is reading anything of his ever again. Even The Stand.

Yup. Will not buy or read.

Anti Federalist
09-05-2017, 11:26 AM

Happily it flopped, big time.

Champ
09-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Schadenfreude deluxe edition.

timosman
09-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Schadenfreude deluxe edition.

Nailed it! (http://www.brainlesstales.com/images/2011/Dec/nailed-it.jpg):rolleyes:

Wooden Indian
09-05-2017, 11:46 AM

I don't social media, thank God and outside of his struggles with addiction and his accident, I know little about his personal life.

When I said King fan, I should have specified, I'm a fan of his work.

Just curious, what was he going on about in social media?

PierzStyx
09-05-2017, 11:51 AM

The major problem with the Dark Tower isn't it being made to appeal to "dimwitted SJWs." The problem with that movie is that it is a sprawling complex story that transverse dimensions, time, and history, combining sci-fi, magic, and pop culture in crazy ways. It is impossible to make into a movie.

PierzStyx
09-05-2017, 11:53 AM
I don't social media, thank God and outside of his struggles with addiction and his accident, I know little about his personal life.

When I said King fan, I should have specified, I'm a fan of his work.

Just curious, what was he going on about in social media?

King is a pretty typical New England Democrat. Me, I don't care. I don't read books because of the politics of the author anymore than I watch movies because of the politics of the actors and actresses. I honestly find this modern day obsession about what some actor or author says on Twitter or Facebook to be fairly dumb. I just read Revival, which was fantastic. Very Lovecraftian. And my enjoyment of that book has nothing to do with whether King voted for Obama or Romney or Hillary or Trump. That is just irrelevant.

fisharmor
09-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Big money in Hollywood always wants to make the huge success that was just made.

This is just completely untrue.

In 2004, Mel Gibson had to make his own distribution company to distribute a 30 million dollar film that grossed over 600 million, because nobody would touch it.
Hollywood's response? A full decade years later, they didn't even cast him as the character he spent 3 movies in, despite the fact that he was the obvious choice, and despite the fact that Tom Hardly-in-the-movie was the worst part of the film.

PierzStyx
09-05-2017, 11:58 AM
With the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on entertainment.

This is a part of the real answer of why Hollywood made less money than expected this year. TV also has had some excellent long form productions as well. People are getting their entertainment in so many more ways than in the past.

Wooden Indian
09-05-2017, 12:15 PM
King is a pretty typical New England Democrat. Me, I don't care. I don't read books because of the politics of the author anymore than I watch movies because of the politics of the actors and actresses. I honestly find this modern day obsession about what some actor or author says on Twitter or Facebook to be fairly dumb. I just read Revival, which was fantastic. Very Lovecraftian. And my enjoyment of that book has nothing to do with whether King voted for Obama or Romney or Hillary or Trump. That is just irrelevant.

Agreed on Revival. Very Lovecraftian, as you put it. Dr. Sleep, Mr. Mercedes, Duma Key, all good recent reads too.

And DTK should have been a 3 part series, so that it could span the vast SK multiverse. Instead, they they rewrote it into 90 minutes of "don't think too hard" subpar action, helmed by a black Roland, for no other reason than to court liberal Millennials and replace the old Western Clint Eastwood image with a shiny new black dude.

Nothing to do with SJWs my backside.

RonPaulIsGreat
09-05-2017, 12:34 PM
The only movie I had any interest in seeing was the The Dark Tower movie but the reviews weren't good, and I'm more critical than most reviewers, so 2017 has seen exactly 0 movies I feel like seeing more than a 1.50 at redbox, and half of those weren't worth the 1.5 either. Hollywood is garbage art. 1 out of a 100 movies was worth the effort making it, IMO. I find myself watching old 50's movies and liking them better.

euphemia
09-05-2017, 12:51 PM
I don't think I have ever read a Stephen King novel. Have not seen a movie in the theatre. Snippets of movies on TV.

Hollywood has the opportunity to put their own point of view out there unopposed, and it's not marketable. Too bad for them.

Ender
09-05-2017, 12:57 PM
This is just completely untrue.

In 2004, Mel Gibson had to make his own distribution company to distribute a 30 million dollar film that grossed over 600 million, because nobody would touch it.
Hollywood's response? A full decade years later, they didn't even cast him as the character he spent 3 movies in, despite the fact that he was the obvious choice, and despite the fact that Tom Hardly-in-the-movie was the worst part of the film.

Actually that is proving my point.

The reason Mel was ostracized is because he dared to direct & produce a film that Big Film told him "no" on. He was told NO on The Passion of Christ, that no one would want to see a stupid Christian movie, and to move on. He defied this, paid for it with his own money, made a huge success, and then became hated by Hollywood elites as they tried to throw him into the abyss.

The Passion of Christ was called "antisemitic"; Mel was set up several times by Big Money (got him drunk etc.), his words were taken out of context and were used to "prove" the antisemitic BS. Every little thing that could be found about him, from a quarrel to oversleeping was highly publicized and used to promote his "evilness".

The fact that Mel has lived through all this and is back on the top of the charts (Hacksaw Ridge) is because he's a fighter and did not weaken his stance.

One of my fav Tubes- Robert Downing Jr at the Golden Globes telling how Mel saved his life & is the reason Downing was standing there receiving an award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyO4ftO5N6Y

CaptUSA
09-05-2017, 12:59 PM
So, I can pack the family in a car and go watch one movie for $60 (if I'm lucky). With no "pause" for bathroom breaks. And I have to go on their timetable.

Or I can get quality new release movies and shows on Netflix for $10/month?

Hmmm... I wonder why the old business model is failing...

phill4paul
09-05-2017, 01:18 PM

The reason Mel was ostracized is because he dared to direct & produce a film that Big Film told him "no" on. He was told NO on The Passion of Christ, that no one would want to see a stupid Christian movie, and to move on. He defied this, paid for it with his own money, made a huge success, and then became hated by Hollywood elites as they tried to throw him into the abyss.

The Passion of Christ was called "antisemitic"; Mel was set up several times by Big Money (got him drunk etc.), his words were taken out of context and were used to "prove" the antisemitic BS. Every little thing that could be found about him, from a quarrel to oversleeping was highly publicized and used to promote his "evilness".

The fact that Mel has lived through all this and is back on the top of the charts (Hacksaw Ridge) is because he's a fighter and did not weaken his stance.

One of my fav Tubes- Robert Downing Jr at the Golden Globes telling how Mel saved his life & is the reason Downing was standing there receiving an award:

Yup, and Hacksaw Ridge was the last movie I watched on the big screen because I knew Mel would make that experience worth it. And he did. Incidentally it was also the last movie I can remember seeing in which the audience, as a whole, left the theater 'shell shocked.'

donnay
09-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Hollywood has been morally and creatively bankrupt for a very long time. No real class acts like the ones from yesteryear. Grant, Mitchem, Stewart, Wayne, Heston, Douglas, de Havilland, Hayward, Reynolds, Katharine Hepburn, etc...

There is only a handful of creative people in Hollywood today, and Mel Gibson, Sylvester Stallone are a couple that come to mind.

pcgame
09-05-2017, 04:32 PM
didn't read posts in this thread

anyway, hollywood does not have monoply on entertainment anymore

If I wanted to make a movie or a series I would either go on youtube and start a patreon or go to netflix. I would cut out the movie theater or normal television.

this is a good thing, and it would be nice to see people outside the hollywood establishment to make movies and shows

Anti Federalist
09-05-2017, 04:36 PM

If it's simply a question of "I disagree with you politically, and here is why", that is one thing.

If, on the other hand, it's something along the lines of this:

"Republicans don't believe in the imagination, partly because so few of them have one, but mostly because it gets in the way of their chosen work, which is to destroy the human race and the planet. Human beings, who have imaginations, can see a recipe for disaster in the making; Republicans, whose goal in life is to profit from disaster and who don't give a hoot about human beings, either can't or won't. Which is why I personally think they should be exterminated before they cause any more harm." -- The Village Voice's Michael Feingold

Then fuck them.

Why would you put one dollar in the pocket of someone who, quite seriously, wants you exterminated?

Ender
09-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Hollywood has been morally and creatively bankrupt for a very long time. No real class acts like the ones from yesteryear. Grant, Mitchem, Stewart, Wayne, Heston, Douglas, de Havilland, Hayward, Reynolds, Katharine Hepburn, etc...

There is only a handful of creative people in Hollywood today, and Mel Gibson, Sylvester Stallone are a couple that come to mind.

Actually there are still tons of talented & creative people in Hollywood- it's just that the industry is so big these days, that you see a lotta mediocre stuff as well.

And those are all actors that you mentioned- not directors/writers/producers.

Some actors in today's cinema are fantastic- just underrated. Brad Pitt is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood because he's a pretty boy. He has also produced some outstanding films, in which most people have no idea he was even involved.

devil21
09-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Hollywood's migration from feature film to streaming "television" format has been underway a good bit longer than the SWJ agenda and/or conservative bashing propaganda of relatively recently. It's part of Agenda 21 model, keeping people at home to get conditioned to less freedom of movement, particularly in the cities where majority of theaters are. The Aurora incident and subsequent theater shootings (Louisiana was another iirc) was part of the psyop to make people not want to go to theaters, to stay home instead and intake much more propaganda through Netflix, et al. Same reason as proliferation of home delivery of meals, online shopping home delivery, online clothing "rental" businesses, etc. The point is to condition people to self-sheltering-in-place.

Also, the feature film studios and production companies are doing just fine but they're shifting their focus to Chinese movie-goers instead of the US. Interesting things that happen as an empire winds down, no?

fisharmor
09-05-2017, 06:50 PM
And those are all actors that you mentioned- not directors/writers/producers.

Terry Gilliam makes his movies in Europe.
David Lynch had the good sense to tell everyone in Hollywood to go fuck themselves back in 1984.
Besides Mel, there are only three directors whose work I would bother to see based just on name: Chris Nolan, Tarantino, and Spielberg.
And the only reason for that is because they have all figured out how to play the money game in addition to making movies that people with two eyebrows would want to see.

fisharmor
09-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Wife just reminded me of the Cohen brothers, who have done great things in the past, but their version of True Grit was both a remake, and awful.

Cleaner44
09-05-2017, 07:13 PM
With the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on entertainment. I quit going right about the time the last Harry Potter came out, I think. Hollywood elites literally insult conservatives on a regular basis. Why would I continue to fund them?

My thoughts too. I have a friend/client that told me he purposely doesn't spend money with Hollywood and I thought that made a lot of sense. I don't thin I have been to the movies since that conversation.

DamianTV
09-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Brucilla Wayne!?!?! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!

nikcers
09-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Hollywood is just doing bad because they are failing to adapt to the market. They are missing huge demographics of people. If you go to the movies all you see are a bunch of old people. They've finally built some higher quality theaters in my city which has brought some people back, but the movies they are coming out with are not bringing people in.

Raginfridus
09-05-2017, 10:10 PM
One of my mother's favorite stories growing up was Anne of Green Gables. She started watching the Netflix version, only to quit in the first season, because apparently their version was loaded with what I'd call gritty, edgy Presentism. Lesbians, suicides, homicides, anti-woman preachers, etc. ... She's like me now, all she watches are This Old House and the occasional nature show.

https://www.ecartelera.com/images/noticias/fotos/30300/30303/1.jpg

became

https://i0.wp.com/teaser-trailer.com/wp-content/uploads/Valerian-1.jpg?ssl=1

If this crap is what happens when Hollyweird get Valerian and Laureline wrong, all I can say is the new DUNE should kill somebody's career. When it comes to movies these days, it doesn't even matter what the directors want, if they're any good or not, the studio boss and their editors have the final word. Its always been that way, but this batch must be the most dependent and dullest tools in theater history - which is probably saying something. Men like Victor Fleming and Stanley Kubrick could write, wrangle the studios, direct their actors, and keep us entertained.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 08:12 AM
“Dear Christians, if you support @realDonaldTrump’s decision to end DACA your Christianity is bullshit. But on the other hand fuck you.” - Danny Zucker - TV producer.

Or this guy...why should I put a single dollar in the pocket of this asshole, who just told me to go fuck myself?

donnay
09-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Or this guy...why should I put a single dollar in the pocket of this $#@!, who just told me to go $#@! myself?

Kind of like Mark Zuckerberg calls the people on facebook dumb F--ks

Reference:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Why should any of these assholes get a pass?

Some working stiff at Screwgle writes a truthful, factual memo and gets lambasted around the globe, loses his job, reputation and privacy and these privileged pretend players get to scream in my face 24/7 with no negative repercussions?

Fuck them and fuck their "entertainment", most of which is just thinly disguised political programming anyway.

PierzStyx
09-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Agreed on Revival. Very Lovecraftian, as you put it. Dr. Sleep, Mr. Mercedes, Duma Key, all good recent reads too.

And DTK should have been a 3 part series, so that it could span the vast SK multiverse. Instead, they they rewrote it into 90 minutes of "don't think too hard" subpar action, helmed by a black Roland, for no other reason than to court liberal Millennials and replace the old Western Clint Eastwood image with a shiny new black dude.

Nothing to do with SJWs my backside.

Duma Key is one of my favorites. I have been meaning to read the Mr. Mercedes books, too. Just need to get around to them.

I wouldn't say the only reason Idris Elba was cast as Roland was because he was black. Elba is a fantastic actor. he has the chops for the role. The problem with the movie is, as you mention, they tried to do too much in too little time. Dark Tower just doesn't translate well into movies. They should have made a mini series out of it, a la Game of Throne or American Gods. Have each book be 4 to 6 episode seasons. It would've been fantastic.

PierzStyx
09-06-2017, 12:01 PM

That is a fantastic video. Thanks for sharing it.

PierzStyx
09-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Or this guy...why should I put a single dollar in the pocket of this $#@!, who just told me to go $#@! myself?

Well, I guess that depends on if you're one of the aforementioned Christians who allow their ties to worldly power trump the demands of their faith to love, serve, and have mercy upon others.

That said, I try to remember we all get really upset sometimes and go off the handle.

PierzStyx
09-06-2017, 12:07 PM
If it's simply a question of "I disagree with you politically, and here is why", that is one thing.

If, on the other hand, it's something along the lines of this:

Then $#@! them.

Why would you put one dollar in the pocket of someone who, quite seriously, wants you exterminated?

Fair point.

But I also don't know who Michael Feingold is either. So it isn't like I was giving him money anyway.

PierzStyx
09-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Hollywood's migration from feature film to streaming "television" format has been underway a good bit longer than the SWJ agenda and/or conservative bashing propaganda of relatively recently. It's part of Agenda 21 model, keeping people at home to get conditioned to less freedom of movement, particularly in the cities where majority of theaters are. The Aurora incident and subsequent theater shootings (Louisiana was another iirc) was part of the psyop to make people not want to go to theaters, to stay home instead and intake much more propaganda through Netflix, et al. Same reason as proliferation of home delivery of meals, online shopping home delivery, online clothing "rental" businesses, etc. The point is to condition people to self-sheltering-in-place.

Also, the feature film studios and production companies are doing just fine but they're shifting their focus to Chinese movie-goers instead of the US. Interesting things that happen as an empire winds down, no?

Exactly what I mean when I talk about paranoids who see everything as a conspiracy. Greater diversity in production, better storytelling, more view points, a greater diversity in business, and a greater ability to tailor what you watch exactly to your desires is somehow a psyop? Please. Wouldn't it work the other way around? Wouldn't they want to funnel you into theaters where they could control the single message everyone gets?

Someone tell me this is really a Poe post.

donnay
09-06-2017, 12:22 PM
More mental illness from Hollywood...

Alyssa Milano gets clobbered by BOTH sides for vile ‘National Day of Prayer’ tweet
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/09/05/so-tacky-alyssa-milano-gets-clobbered-by-both-sides-for-vile-national-day-of-prayer-tweet/

No aid for them! Bette Midler says no federal money for Texas until their attitude improves or something
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/09/05/no-aid-for-them-bette-midler-says-no-federal-money-for-texas-until-their-attitude-improves-or-something/

euphemia
09-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Wife just reminded me of the Cohen brothers, who have done great things in the past, but their version of True Grit was both a remake, and awful.

I disagree. The John Wayne version was not true to the book in any way. The Cohen brothers version was very true to the book and way better acted. At no point did I go, "Oh, there's Jeff Bridges playing Rooster Cogburn." I was like, "Whoa, that's Rooster Cogburn."

We saw The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, went to lunch, and went to see True Grit. We loved the Dawn Treader, but were blown away by True Grit. We agreed that even if we had seen True Grit first, it would still be the film we talked about on the way home. I really got a sense of the danger and desolation of Texas.

Ender
09-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Love the Cohens- especially Hudsucker Proxy! ;) Also, the Wachowski's The Matrix & V for Vendetta.

Frank Capra is my all time favorite director but there are still good one's out there in today's world- ever see Tony Scott's Spy Game? Brilliant. Too bad Tony has passed away.

Edward Zwick? The Last Samurai? Blood Diamond? Shakespeare in Love?

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Love the Cohens- especially Hudsucker Proxy!

O' Brother and Big Lebowski. ;)

Frank Capra is my all time favorite director but there are still good one's out there in today's world- ever see Tony Scott's Spy Game? Brilliant. Too bad Tony has passed away.

Why We Fight, stunning, even though it is technically, propaganda.

And Scott?

Enemy of the State.

That is all. ;)

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Fair point.

But I also don't know who Michael Feingold is either. So it isn't like I was giving him money anyway.

He's a NewsWeak pundit.

Not specifically "movie entertainment" but the same principle applies.

I could pull similar quotes from numerous HollyWeird celebrities as well.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Duma Key is one of my favorites. I have been meaning to read the Mr. Mercedes books, too. Just need to get around to them.

I wouldn't say the only reason Idris Elba was cast as Roland was because he was black. Elba is a fantastic actor. he has the chops for the role. The problem with the movie is, as you mention, they tried to do too much in too little time. Dark Tower just doesn't translate well into movies. They should have made a mini series out of it, a la Game of Throne or American Gods. Have each book be 4 to 6 episode seasons. It would've been fantastic.

That Elba is black most certainly entered into the decision, this has been documented in another thread on the subject.

And when fans (and I consider myself one of the fans of DT) complained about it, they were told by the, director, producer...I cannot recall for sure which, to essentially go fuck ourselves and that we were a bunch of racists, and he stood by his casting choice.

King said basically the same thing.

Which gave a pretty good indication right then and there that the story line was going to be butchered, since one of the main characters hatred of Roland, as a white man, was central to the plot and character development of the story.

So, fuck them both, glad it flopped.

specsaregood
09-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing and Big Lebowski for me. The others, meh.

Brian4Liberty
09-06-2017, 01:16 PM
The fact that most all of Hollyweird has spent the last year screaming in the face of roughly half their audience that they are essentially despicable, deplorable, disgusting human beings and should die as quickly as possible, had nothing at all to do with it. :rolleyes:

Yep, on top of other factors, that has something to do with. It is a poor business decision to tie oneself to one side of a bitter 50/50 split. You lose half your audience, to the cheers of the other half.

Comedy Central did this to themselves too. It would interesting to see year after year ratings of the late shows (Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, etc). Interesting if we can safely assume that the ratings/rankings are accurate/honest, which is not a given.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Well, I guess that depends on if you're one of the aforementioned Christians who allow their ties to worldly power trump the demands of their faith to love, serve, and have mercy upon others.

That said, I try to remember we all get really upset sometimes and go off the handle.

Trust me, he views you the same way, simply by being a hard hearted libertarian, that is not in favor of government redistribution of wealth and wants old ladies and children to die in the streets.

Quite sure he has you pegged for a racist as well.

So, be my guest, watch his shit (not even sure what it is he produces) if you like, but I won't.

I'm one smart remark away from canceling sat TV altogether.

Raginfridus
09-06-2017, 02:30 PM
I disagree. The John Wayne version was not true to the book in any way. The Cohen brothers version was very true to the book and way better acted.Everybody knows the stars of John Wayne's version were beer and General Price. I don't remember if Jeff Bridges even had a cat, but I guess he did. Both versions were good, its just the book often needs help (Fleming & Kubrick). Old Hollyweird had too much campy acting and Brooklyn accent, but New Hollyweird has sort of a formulaic edginess.

A24 have put out better movies in five years, than Hollywood have in 15. Debra Granik (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0335138/?ref_=tt_ov_dr) and Jeremy Saulnier (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1099918/) continue making good things. I'll buy their movies, but Hollywood's I won't.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-06-2017, 02:35 PM
The closest theatre to me is probably an hour or more. I don't miss sticky floors, crappy seats, and stupid air conditioning.

And I buy VHS tapes at the Good Will for 75 cent. :p

Raginfridus
09-06-2017, 02:46 PM
And I buy VHS tapes at the Good Will for 75 cent. :pYou buy movies?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-06-2017, 02:54 PM
You buy movies?

Do you mean buy a physical product versus online or renting?

Anti Federalist
09-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Kind of like Mark Zuckerberg calls the people on facebook dumb F--ks

Reference:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/

Why anybody in their right mind uses FedBook, voluntarily, is beyond me.

Raginfridus
09-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Do you mean buy a physical product versus online or renting?I meant versus torrent or free media hosts. If you can find good movies at goodwill, I guess buying's no big deal, but there are lots of so-called classics out of publication, or owned by the extortionists at Criterion. Then some never make it to America, for whatever reason. I haven't had any luck in the past at goodwill.

donnay
09-06-2017, 06:13 PM
I'll just add this quote right here:

"The American motion picture is the greatest unconscious carrier of propaganda in the world today."
~ Edward Bernays

euphemia
09-06-2017, 06:16 PM
It's not unconscious. It's very conscious and deliberate.

tod evans
09-06-2017, 06:32 PM

Now you've gone and offended someone too..:eek:

uncharted
09-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Thread needs more David Fincher fans. :)

That said, I reckon that the primary reason why feature films in Hollywood are on a decline (domestically) is due to inflation. The rising costs of movie tickets (plus the foods, drinks, popcorn, and other snacks) are driving customers to cheaper alternatives such as Netflix, Redbox, and Amazon Prime. In addition, said examples of alternatives continue to refine (exclusivity such as Netflix-only movies like Will Smith's/David Ayer's Bright coming out - http://variety.com/2017/film/news/david-ayer-will-smith-netflix-bright-1202501947/)

This is actually driving the corporation Disney into pulling their movies from Netflix in order to provide their own streaming services in the future - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

*HBO has done likewise.

Moreover, I don't think that the quality of movies is actually an issue (at least a major one for casual viewers). Superhero movies are WAY better than they used to be IMO (Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Russo Brothers MCU movies, and we now have crossovers which have been a dream come true for many superhero comic book fans) and although I'm not a fan of them it seems that top tier (in the eyes of many viewers) animated films are released every year (ex: Frozen, Zooptopia, Finding Dory, Minions, Inside Out, etc.). The horror movie "Get out" was widely praised when it released this year. Moreover, the horror movie "It" is supposed to be great. I'm personally not really into the horror genre myself but I am interested in reading Stephen King's novel that the movie is based on. I'll probably see the movie too.

As for war movies: Did anybody see Dunkirk? Apparently, it's an incredible movie.

Furthermore, many people have enjoyed the new Star Wars movies (The Force Awakens, Rouge One) and the upcoming one will probably also be an enjoyable Science Fiction blockbuster too.

I know that I only brought up a few genres and movies but I kept it to some popular ones because I suspect that most viewers aren't movie buffs (watching indies and other lesser popular genres) and don't watch nearly as many movies as a movie buff does annually in general regardless if Hollywood is doing well or not.

Of course, there was plenty of forgettable crap that was released this year but there is forgettable crap that is released every year and this has probably been the case since Hollywood started. This is nothing magical, just the long tail phenomenon of the bell-curve being applied to the movie industry. It's not rare to hear complaints that Hollywood isn't being original, but was the industry ever really original? - It seems like adaptations, based on a true story, franchises (ex: 007, Star Wars, Batman), sequels, reboots, and other derivative works are what (most/non-movie buffs) moviegoers like to see. Whether we're talking 1962 or 2017.

Ender
09-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Thread needs more David Fincher fans. :)

That said, I reckon that the primary reason why feature films in Hollywood are on a decline (domestically) is due to inflation. The rising costs of movie tickets (plus the foods, drinks, popcorn, and other snacks) are driving customers to cheaper alternatives such as Netflix, Redbox, and Amazon Prime. In addition, said examples of alternatives continue to refine (exclusivity such as Netflix-only movies like Will Smith's/David Ayer's Bright coming out - http://variety.com/2017/film/news/david-ayer-will-smith-netflix-bright-1202501947/)

This is actually driving the corporation Disney into pulling their movies from Netflix in order to provide their own streaming services in the future - https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

*HBO has done likewise.

Moreover, I don't think that the quality of movies is actually an issue (at least a major one for casual viewers). Superhero movies are WAY better than they used to be IMO (Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Russo Brothers MCU movies, and we now have crossovers which have been a dream come true for many superhero comic book fans) and although I'm not a fan of them it seems that top tier (in the eyes of many viewers) animated films are released every year (ex: Frozen, Zooptopia, Finding Dory, Minions, Inside Out, etc.). The horror movie "Get out" was widely praised when it released this year. Moreover, the horror movie "It" is supposed to be great. I'm personally not really into the horror genre myself but I am interested in reading Stephen King's novel that the movie is based on. I'll probably see the movie too.

As for war movies: Did anybody see Dunkirk? Apparently, it's an incredible movie.

Furthermore, many people have enjoyed the new Star Wars movies (The Force Awakens, Rouge One) and the upcoming one will probably also be an enjoyable Science Fiction blockbuster too.

I know that I only brought up a few genres and movies but I kept it to some popular ones because I suspect that most viewers aren't movie buffs (watching indies and other lesser popular genres) and don't watch nearly as many movies as a movie buff does annually in general regardless if Hollywood is doing well or not.

Of course, there was plenty of forgettable crap that was released this year but there is forgettable crap that is released every year and this has probably been the case since Hollywood started. This is nothing magical, just the long tail phenomenon of the bell-curve being applied to the movie industry. It's not rare to hear complaints that Hollywood isn't being original, but was the industry ever really original? - It seems like adaptations, based on a true story, franchises (ex: 007, Star Wars, Batman), sequels, reboots, and other derivative works have always been what (most/non-movie buffs) moviegoers like to see. Whether we're talking 1962 or 2017.

My family are all movie buffs and there are still good movies being made- because the industry is so large, there also more mediocre crap as well. but a great film is always a joy for us. :)

Also, Netflix etc is cool but watching a film on a TV will never compare to a film on the big screen. The sound, color, etc is completely different and can be a mind-blower once you actually compare the experience. Again, for the Matrix, the color is extremely important in the film, but is not very apparent on a small screen. The Matrix sound is incredible and cannot be duplicated online.

Ender
09-06-2017, 10:09 PM

Why We Fight, stunning, even though it is technically, propaganda.

And Scott?

Enemy of the State.

That is all. ;)

Agree 1000%! ;)

Wooden Indian
09-06-2017, 10:40 PM
We're an off grid family, work full time, plus homesteading. So TV and movies isn't something we have time for.

That said, we do have Netflix and enjoy some series on it.

For the most part though, the movies are trash. Sherlock, Lost, House MD, all shows we'll watch from time to time.

And if there's a movie we hear about that we really want to see, we'll go early on a Sunday and do just that.

But it's all... well, not a habit... if that makes sense. It's in moderation because there's quite simply better things to do usually.

Build, repair, have sex, read... TV is option 10 LOL.

nikcers
09-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Build, repair, have sex, read... TV is option 10 LOL.
Do you read for entertainment though? I think the big difference is people have to work more to make the same standard of living so they have less leisure time. Lots of people do still try to watch stuff on their down time but usually by skipping commercials, the line, ect. The world has gone and nationalized itself so we have to keep up by trying to produce more and more efficiently. This is not counting people who are not contributing of course but they never contributed much to Hollywood before.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-07-2017, 01:41 PM
I meant versus torrent or free media hosts. If you can find good movies at goodwill, I guess buying's no big deal, but there are lots of so-called classics out of publication, or owned by the extortionists at Criterion. Then some never make it to America, for whatever reason. I haven't had any luck in the past at goodwill.

A friend of ours showed us how to get many free movies, but it was really choppy. Not sure if it was just that day or what. He's the guy who really fixed my wife's computer and installed Linux and other programs, so he's fairly good with computers. I never really pursued it after that.

devil21
09-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Exactly what I mean when I talk about paranoids who see everything as a conspiracy. Greater diversity in production, better storytelling, more view points, a greater diversity in business, and a greater ability to tailor what you watch exactly to your desires is somehow a psyop? Please. Wouldn't it work the other way around? Wouldn't they want to funnel you into theaters where they could control the single message everyone gets?

Someone tell me this is really a Poe post.

I could address your points one by one but I have better things to do with my time.

You're not familiar with Agenda 21 and social engineering, eh? It's ok. Carry on, Pierz.

jllundqu
09-07-2017, 04:24 PM
I travel a lot for work, so I like to catch a movie at the theater's when I get the chance. I LOVE the movie theater experience. Cherry coke and a box of Junior Mints every time. This past year has been so lame in terms of movies, it saddens me. There were some diamonds in the rough.

Hacksaw Ridge (technically last year) was amazing.. should have won the oscar imo.
The movies mentioned above like Dunkirk, Star Wars, etc., were fun... but it has been a looooong damn time since a film has been made that really appealed to me. Interstellar was the last film that blew me away.

It's gotten so bad that my only choice for a movie at the theater that I would actually PAY to watch this past weekend? Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 40th Anniversary Edition. I had to watch a movie from 40 FUCKING YEARS AGO to be willing to pay money to see it.

lilymc
09-07-2017, 05:54 PM
You're not familiar with Agenda 21 and social engineering, eh? It's ok. Carry on, Pierz.

Not only that, but I think many people are unaware that there is a spiritual component, too.

Swordsmyth
09-09-2017, 01:38 PM
New Star Trek show to tackle the Trump-era divide and 'racial purity is a big theme'

Star Trek: Discovery to tackle real-world issues starting with US political divide
The controversial drama will show a war between the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire
The Klingons ideological ideas are inspired by the 2016 electoral divide
Isolationism and racial purity are big themes throughout the series

More at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4866498/Star-Trek-Discovery-Trump-era-political-divide.html#ixzz4sBNQjADT

juleswin
09-09-2017, 02:23 PM
This is the most confusing thread I have read in a long time, it seems like half the people just do not know what the internet has done to other businesses like the bookstore business, brick and mortar porn stores, movies rental businesses, the music/TV business, international phone cards, travel agencies, newspapers and the list goes on and on and on.

Non of this is because of SJW or movie industry making sequel and reboots (which btw are some of the most successful movies made by Hollywood). This is the natural order of things in this world when a newer, more superior technology comes into the market. I can access just about any movie released in the movie theatre less than 2 weeks after it is out and most of the time in very high quality. I can then watch it in front of my 4k ultra 70 inch TV with surround sound for free. And most dates now rarely go to the movies. Its dinner, walk and if you are luck, you "surf and turf" while pretending to "netflix and chill". The allure of going to the movies is dying among the youth, we older people may still reminisce of the good old days but our numbers are dwindling and new generation are creating their new habits which regular visits to the movie is not part of.

If nothing is done soon about pirating, the slow decline would continue until the business model is no longer viable.

Lastly, Obama is no more likely to bail out Hollywood than Trump. trump was a supporter of the last bailout just like Obama and if need be, he would also be in support of a new one. This idea that there is a gulf of difference between Obama and Trump needs to end ASAP. It is delusional thinking that is not helping anyone.

My thread of fantastic movies to watch on netflix is here. People talk about the Coen brother and no mention of "No Country for old men" shame on you people :(

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?508649-Netflix-Movie-gems

To some of you older members that were around when radio was still king, did people also accuse SJW for allowing TV to dethrone radio?

bunklocoempire
09-09-2017, 03:32 PM
This is the most confusing thread I have read in a long time, it seems like half the people just do not know what the internet has done to other businesses like the bookstore business, brick and mortar porn stores, movies rental businesses, the music/TV business, international phone cards, travel agencies, newspapers and the list goes on and on and on.

Non of this is because of SJW or movie industry making sequel and reboots (which btw are some of the most successful movies made by Hollywood). This is the natural order of things in this world when a newer, more superior technology comes into the market. I can access just about any movie released in the movie theatre less than 2 weeks after it is out and most of the time in very high quality. I can then watch it in front of my 4k ultra 70 inch TV with surround sound for free. And most dates now rarely go to the movies. Its dinner, walk and if you are luck, you "surf and turf" while pretending to "netflix and chill". The allure of going to the movies is dying among the youth, we older people may still reminisce of the good old days but our numbers are dwindling and new generation are creating their new habits which regular visits to the movie is not part of.

If nothing is done soon about pirating, the slow decline would continue until the business model is no longer viable.

Lastly, Obama is no more likely to bail out Hollywood than Trump. trump was a supporter of the last bailout just like Obama and if need be, he would also be in support of a new one. This idea that there is a gulf of difference between Obama and Trump needs to end ASAP. It is delusional thinking that is not helping anyone.

My thread of fantastic movies to watch on netflix is here. People talk about the Coen brother and no mention of "No Country for old men" shame on you people :(

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?508649-Netflix-Movie-gems

To some of you older members that were around when radio was still king, did people also accuse SJW for allowing TV to dethrone radio?

IMO, government spanked brick and mortars, and the internet is a market solution.

Now copyrights to the rescue? I don't think so, but I imagine that that will be the "solution" pushed.

Centralized movie distribution has had a lot to do with their own demise, IMO.
Movies are worse, and the price goes up or stays the same.

KrokHead
09-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Hollywood is going the way of the music industry. People are downloading the shit for free, even mental retards have firesticks.

Stealing movies, like music had been around as long as its media has been around but now it's easier to steal it than to pay for it. This means movies have finally been devalued.

The following also doesn't help:
1. Movies fucking suck, the only one I wanted to see this year was Dunkirk.
2. Too many fucking marvel and dc movies. Fuck Spiderman, he has been rebooted twice in like 4 years maybe nobody cares. Maybe people are tired of watching the same movie 3 times a year.
3. Do we really need 9 fast and furious Movies?
4. We live in an era of 2000 channels on tv, youtube, and alternative media. I can skip on prolefeed just fine.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Hollywood is going the way of the music industry. People are downloading the shit for free, even mental retards have firesticks.

Stealing movies, like music had been around as long as its media has been around but now it's easier to steal it than to pay for it. This means movies have finally been devalued.

1. Movies fucking suck, the only one I wanted to see this year was Dunkirk.
2. Too many fucking marvel and dc movies. Fuck Spiderman, he has been rebooted twice in like 4 years maybe nobody cares. Maybe people are tired of watching the same movie 3 times a year.
4. We live in an era of 2000 channels on tv, youtube, and alternative media. I can skip on prolefeed just fine.

All of that.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2017, 10:12 PM

I am the one and only person who does not wish to put money in the pocket of people who hate me.

Yup.

Just me.

:rolleyes:

angelatc
09-09-2017, 10:17 PM
I am the one and only person who does not wish to put money in the pocket of people who hate me.

Yup.

Just me.

I was boycotting their niose when you still thought we could compromise with them :D

juleswin
09-10-2017, 04:45 AM

Yup.

Just me.

Rolling your eyes would be appropriate here if that is what I actually said. There is a group of people that have been boycotting most of what Hollywood makes for years but that hasn't stopped then from raking in billions in profits. The vast majority of the people understand that what one or two movies critics says about people like you is not representative of what the industry as a whole think of people like you.

You are a small to insignificant reason for the low box office performance. Movie piracy is the top reason for it and not because SJW or crappy movies or movie sequels and reboots. All those types of movies have made up the vast majority of movies made. The movie gems are actually the exceptions to the rule ever since I can remember.

juleswin
09-10-2017, 05:00 AM
Hollywood is going the way of the music industry. People are downloading the $#@! for free, even mental retards have firesticks.

1. Movies $#@!ing suck, the only one I wanted to see this year was Dunkirk.
2. Too many $#@!ing marvel and dc movies. $#@! Spiderman, he has been rebooted twice in like 4 years maybe nobody cares. Maybe people are tired of watching the same movie 3 times a year.

1. Movies don't suck anymore than they were sucking in the 90s. If anything, Id say they have gotten better over the years. Btw, there are more movies playing than the ones heavily marketed to kids and teenagers. To hell and high water was one that was absolutely amazing and almost nobody say it because they were too busy complaining about sequels and reboots and missed an original screenplay. Personally, wouldn't see a Dunkirk if you paid me money. Do not fancy WWII movies especially those that portray the allies as the good guys(essentially all of em :)). Btw, how many different movies about some battle in WWII is going to be enough for the market, yes Dunkirk is not technically a reboot or remake but I swear, there are at least 50 different movies about battles in WWII over the years. I personally hope the market grow tired if em after this one.

2. People are not tired of it. Except for Pirate of the Caribbean, the vast majority of sequels made 100s of millions above their production cost. That is why they keep making it because the movie going audience is eating it up.

3. You may say no, but he market says yes. Furious 7 made $360 m nationwide and $1.5 billion worldwide on a production cost of $190m. And for this reason, there would be a part 8 coming out soon and most likely would continue to happen until the market says no. Didn't they make like 10 parts of Police Academy in the 90s?

4. This is true, can't argue with it but also don't forget video games. They have for many years been a strong competition to the movie industry. It gets better and better every year, it is a time sink and for the most part have been able to ward off serious pirating of its product.

In 2014, the global revenue for games was estimated at $83.6 billion (Polygon). Meanwhile, according to the MPAA, in 2014, the movie industry worldwide grossed $36.4 billion (MPAA). ... In fact, the bulk of the movie industry's revenues might not even come from the box office.

juleswin
09-10-2017, 05:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPF5tmgEdI

Hell or High water review. Don't pirate it, instead try and pay money for it. I have am sure the part Hollywood that made this movie doesn't hate u

Dark_Horse_Rider
09-10-2017, 05:40 AM
fuck Hollywood

fuck the MSM

fuck TPTB

GunnyFreedom
09-10-2017, 06:34 AM

One thing to keep in mind, is that the music and the movie industries have largely brought piracy upon themselves, by not only refusing to embrace online content delivery, but actively opposing it as a possibility until after people had come to rely on online content delivery. Had the music and movie industries embraced online content delivery up front, they would have increased their profits by billions of dollars.

I am not excusing or justifying theft, but neither do I have any sympathy for the industry right now. "They did it to themselves" actually applies here. If Hollywood and the music industry have to go completely bankrupt before someone else fills the void and starts caring about content delivery, fine. Good movies and good music will not go extinct from the human race. The leaders of the industry may have to completely fail to make way for the better models though.

These are the same people who refused to support content delivery of any kind, ever in the late 80's. Forget those ignorant technophobes. Hurry up and die off and let people who understand the modern era take over the music and movie industries and they will no longer be in danger of dying off due to piracy...... because they will actually offer the services that the consumers actually want.

Raginfridus
09-10-2017, 06:53 AM
If nothing is done soon about pirating, the slow decline would continue until the business model is no longer viable.o no?

kpitcher
09-10-2017, 02:24 PM
I tried to like King. He does great character development yet seems to fail on wrapping up his stories. I'd pick up one of his books from time to time but Under the Dome was the last straw for me. Last chapter the reason the Dome existed was given, yet somehow the entity that did this followed county lines? Um that's the best he could come up with?

Swordsmyth
09-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Superman defends illegals against angry American
The Man of Steel has now become a propaganda tool for the defenders of illegal aliens. (https://www.toddstarnes.com/column/superman-protects-illegals)
In the most recent issue of Action Comics, Superman comes to the rescue of a group of illegal aliens -- under attack from a white guy wearing an American flag bandana and waving around a machine gun.

Remember when Superman stood for truth, justice and the American way? Then again, Clark Kent is technically an illegal alien – a native of Krypton.
I reckon it's only a matter of time before DC Comics unleashes other superheroes in its corporate quest to defend the alien invaders.
So don't be surprised to see the Flash rushing Mexicans across the border or Wonder Woman using her lasso to round up Texas ranchers trying to defend their property.

More at: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/13/superman-defends-illegals-against-angry-american.html

juleswin
09-13-2017, 08:36 PM
So this past monday, I was taking care of this patient. So I would notice that he was on his ipad watching movies every time I came into the room. Anyway, I decided to ask him what he was watching and I kid you not, he was watching the Dark Tower on his ipad.

The site he was on had just about every movie that is on the theatre for free. IT the clown movie was even there but he said it was only available in spanish 4 days after it was released. I mean with this sort of technology and easy of pirating available, what is the motivation for the average man to pay for a movie ticket?