PDA

View Full Version : "Consumer units" spend more on taxes than food and clothing combined

Anti Federalist
08-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Consumer units, that is what our overlords call us now, "consumer units".

Also, absent, as far as I can see, is property taxation, which in some parts of the country is close to $1000 a month for a middle class home.

And also missing is government mandated health care insurance costs, which also are pushing $1000 a month or more for a family.

BLS: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/bls-average-family-tax-bill-increased-411-4-years

By Terence P. Jeffrey | August 30, 2017 | 12:18 PM EDT

Americans on average spent more on taxes in 2016 than they did on food and clothing combined, according to data released this week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The same data also shows that in three years—from 2013 to 2016—the average tax bill for Americans increased 41.13 percent.

In 2016, according to BLS, “consumer units” (which include families, financially independent individuals, and people living in a single household who share expenses) spent more on average on federal, state and local taxes ($10,489) than they did on food ($7,203) and clothing ($1,803) combined ($9,006).

The average tax bill for American “consumer units” increased from $7,423 in 2013 to $10,489 in 2016, according to data released this week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The tax-and-spending data was collected as part of the BLS’s Consumer Expenditure Survey, which is conducted for the BLS by the Census Bureau. The survey measures the expenditures and incomes of American consumers.

https://www.cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/food1.jpg?itok=elBO1zOM

https://www.cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/tax1.jpg?itok=zfulrAgD

In 2016, according to the survey, there were 129,549,000 “consumer units” in the United States. The average before-tax income of an American consumer unit was $74,664 for the year. The consumer unit then paid an average of $10,489 in personal taxes—including $8,367 in federal income taxes, $2,046 in state and local income taxes, and $75 in other taxes.

phill4paul
08-31-2017, 06:19 AM
Shouldn't tax payers be called "producer units?" "Consumer units" are those that pay no taxes and receive food and housing for free.

asurfaholic
08-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Smh. This is what kills my ability to truly live off the income I earn.

I work my life away just to barely be able to afford necessities after I pay my taxes first.

timosman
08-31-2017, 06:34 AM
Smh. This is what kills my ability to truly live off the income I earn.

I work my life away just to barely be able to afford necessities after I pay my taxes first.

Stop whining or we gonna have to raise your taxes even more. It sounds like you will not like that.

Schifference
08-31-2017, 06:54 AM
You must realize this is all for you. You are not just paying tax to live. They are receiving valuable services for your small tax. The government would not be able to exist if it were not for your tax contributions. All the agencies that keep us safe are funded by taxes. The air you breathe, water you drink, and the food you eat is only good because your tax dollars pay for regulatory agencies insure strict adherence to health related issues.

Anti Federalist
08-31-2017, 07:53 AM
Shouldn't tax payers be called "producer units?" "Consumer units" are those that pay no taxes and receive food and housing for free.

Pipe down, Nazi.

oyarde
08-31-2017, 07:57 AM
I wonder what that slacker consumer unit Danke is doing today ? Hopefully something productive in case I want to borrow a six pack .

Anti Federalist
08-31-2017, 08:01 AM
I wonder what that slacker consumer unit Danke is doing today ? Hopefully something productive in case I want to borrow a six pack .

Last I heard he was floating around in Houston with fat women, or some such.

oyarde
08-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Last I heard he was floating around in Houston with fat women, or some such.

About what I expected , loafing with the girls in Texas . I do not know how he will help look after me when I am old if he is never working .......

Anti Federalist
08-31-2017, 08:09 AM
About what I expected , loafing with the girls in Texas . I do not know how he will help look after me when I am old if he is never working .......

Dis-United shut down IAH operations (left me in a bind, thank you very much) so maybe he's on "paid administrative leave"...that should still be enough for beer and boudin.

DamianTV
08-31-2017, 08:42 AM
OP - Well, yeah? Duh? All that money that got printed up during QE has to be destroyed somehow, otherwise we would have hyperinflation! And guess who gets to foot the bill...

oyarde
08-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Well , just the property tax I pay in a year would cover several years of food & clothing at our house .

oyarde
08-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Dis-United shut down IAH operations (left me in a bind, thank you very much) so maybe he's on "paid administrative leave"...that should still be enough for beer and boudin.

Yeah , you are probably stuck for a week ?

kfarnan
08-31-2017, 09:17 AM
bad roi.

shakey1
08-31-2017, 09:29 AM
http://www.acting-man.com/blog/media/2015/11/tax-cartoon.gif

Slave Mentality
08-31-2017, 04:33 PM
You must realize this is all for you. You are not just paying tax to live. They are receiving valuable services for your small tax. The government would not be able to exist if it were not for your tax contributions. All the agencies that keep us safe are funded by taxes. The air you breathe, water you drink, and the food you eat is only good because your tax dollars pay for regulatory agencies insure strict adherence to health related issues.

Muh services.

Danke
08-31-2017, 04:44 PM

People blame United for everything...even the weather and FAA shutting down an airport...