PDA

View Full Version : Texas gun license is already RealID!

jmdrake
08-25-2017, 06:38 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. People think that RealID is only being applied to drivers licenses. That's simply not true. States are using the RealID template they drew up for drivers licenses in order to be compliant with the TSA and extending them to other forms of ID. It's simple political inertia.

There are laws being proposed by Republicans that will federalize handgun licenses as well. Here's one.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lawmakers-let-tsa-accept-concealed-carry-permits-as-id-at-airports/article/2576545

Sounds great right? Let the TSA accept concealed carry permits as ID at airports. Here's the catch. For that to happen, the handgun licenses will ultimately have to conform to RealID (national ID card). Texas handgun licenses are already RealID! Here are the basics for RealID.

The REAL ID Act sets forth new federally mandated requirements for all state driver’s licenses and ID cards. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has set standards not entirely dissimilar from the requirements already in place for most states throughout the country. On each ID, the following information must be present:

Full legal name
Residential address
Birth date
Driver’s license/identification card number
Digital front-facing photograph
Signature

Driver’s licenses and IDs must now also include a common barcode and security devices to prevent any tampering with or counterfeiting of the card, and must display a star in the upper right-hand corner, signifying that your identification has been approved by the TSA and your identity has been verified. There are also new requirements put in place to obtain an ID or license; all applicants must present the following documents during the application process:
A photo ID, or non-photo ID that contains the applicant’s full legal name and birth date
Valid birth certificate
Social Security number
Proof of legal U.S. citizenship, OR proof of lawful admittance into or temporary residence within the U.S.

Lastly, each state must also agree to share its database of licensed citizens and drivers with all other states, including every piece of data on the cards themselves (name, address, birth date, etc.), along with all driving records and driver histories of everyone licensed to drive in the state.

Here is a Texas concealed carry license.

http://pointblanksg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016-02-01LTCLicense.jpg

Here is the Texas drivers license front and back.

http://www.agavedesign.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/driverslicense1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--GjOvP26PTM/USvkoBWHiCI/AAAAAAAAAa4/vr0TRee0BXQ/s1600/DriversLicense.png

Note that both the Texas drivers license and the Texas handgun carry license are already RealID!

This is how government inertia works. It's simply easier to make everything the same. If the government is going to set up drivers licenses to be "RealID compliant", why the hell would it go out of its way to make concealed carry licenses or any other license it issues not RealID compliant? Short answer? It wouldn't! We are being suckered.

I remember the day when drivers licenses didn't have photos on them. I remember the day when social security cards said on them "These cannot be used as identification." Now you have to present a social security card to get a RealID compliant machine readable ID with your picture on it. And the problem with pushing for government issued photo ID for voting is that's just one more sphere where we're being told we have to have a government issued RealID! I hear the jackass talk show host pundits say "Well you have to have an ID to get on a plane so why not for voting?" I shouldn't have to have an ID to get on a plane! 9/11 didn't happen because of a lack of photo ID. Hell, the CIA under Bush was waving terrorists into the country and that has been admitted! The Obama administration purposefully let the underwear bomber on the plane and that has been admitted!

Here is the bottom line. The government is using fear to take over more and more of our lives. It doesn't matter if it's fear over "refer madness" or fear over terrorism or fear over illegal immigrants taking jobs or committing crimes or fear over liberal block voting taking away liberty, when conservatives are just as anti liberty! "Hey! Let's have more gubmit control to protect us from gubmit control!" That's crazy as hell!

Origanalist
08-25-2017, 06:59 AM
According to the legislation introduced by Reps. Diane Black, R-Tenn., and Bill Flores, R-Texas, "a concealed handgun license shall be treated as a verifying identity document" for the purposes of aircraft passenger security screening. It would also prohibit the federal government from collecting or storing information about an individual relating to a concealed handgun license.

Riiiiiightttt....... I believe them.....:rolleyes:

I see no gain to anyone but government from this. Reps. Black and Flores aren't helping anyone but the surveillance state.

TheTexan
08-25-2017, 06:59 AM
That's great news! Then my license to carry a weapon can also be used as a license to board an airplane!

William Tell
08-25-2017, 07:02 AM
Riiiiiightttt....... I believe them.....:rolleyes:

I see no gain to anyone but government from this. Reps. Black and Flores aren't helping anyone but the surveillance state.

Label something a pro-gun bill and everyone is for it, genius.

Anti Federalist
08-25-2017, 11:01 AM
My license is the Second Amendment.

Piss. Off.

TheTexan
08-25-2017, 11:24 AM
If we require everyone to have a RealID then we can start requiring licenses to do all kinds of things, like going shopping.

Imagine how much terrorism we could stop, if we required a RealID license to even go shopping?

TheCount
08-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Label something a pro-gun bill and everyone is for it, genius.
Anti-immigration / illegal immigration is being used the same way.

Raginfridus
08-25-2017, 11:42 AM
According to the legislation introduced by Reps. Diane Black, R-Tenn., and Bill Flores, R-Texas, "a concealed handgun license shall be treated as a verifying identity document" for the purposes of aircraft passenger security screening. It would also prohibit the federal government from collecting or storing information about an individual relating to a concealed handgun license.Riiiiiightttt....... I believe them.....:rolleyes:

I see no gain to anyone but government from this. Reps. Black and Flores aren't helping anyone but the surveillance state.What a lie! The concealed handgun license is a collection and storage of information about individuals relating to a concealed handgun license. Such a law would fall under the purview of laws allowing the feds to open state records relating to open investigations. This law's sole design is for branding gun owners, when the feds need a quick scapegoat for incidents involving airliners.

Anti-immigration / illegal immigration is being used the same way.Unfortunately so, as the wall debate distracts from illegal immigration's causes. The difference being illegal immigration is illegal, whereas owning a gun is a protected right.

TheCount
08-25-2017, 11:54 AM
The difference being illegal immigration is illegal, whereas owning a gun is a protected right.There is no difference.

Guns, voting, immigration: statists will make whatever argument they think that you want to hear in order to get you to support the expansion of government.

PS: if owning a gun is a protected right, why do you need a RealID card for it?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-25-2017, 12:39 PM
...statists will make whatever argument they think that you want to hear in order to get you to support the expansion of government.

Just like what you do here. I could ask if you're for laws that require state documentation for concealed carriers, but I'm sure that's a waste of time.

Pericles
08-25-2017, 12:53 PM
OK, so me and one million other Texas have a handgun license. Let the 50,000 employees of the FBI and 5000 ATF employees start the round up.

TheTexan
08-25-2017, 12:59 PM
OK, so me and one million other Texas have a handgun license. Let the 50,000 employees of the FBI and 5000 ATF employees start the round up.

Don't be silly they won't just take everyone's guns.

I'm sure they'll let people keep guns that have a legitimate hunting use & purpose.

Pericles
08-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Don't be silly they won't just take everyone's guns.

I'm sure they'll let people keep guns that have a legitimate hunting use & purpose.

I'm certainly keeping mine.

TheTexan
08-25-2017, 01:03 PM
I'm certainly keeping mine.

Reported.

Raginfridus
08-25-2017, 02:57 PM
There is no difference.

Guns, voting, immigration: statists will make whatever argument they think that you want to hear in order to get you to support the expansion of government.

PS: if owning a gun is a protected right, why do you need a RealID card for it?There's dissonance between legality and Constitutionality. Constitutionally, the founders' intent was the People's right to keep and carry guns, being necessary for an orderly, regular militia, wouldn't be undermined. This is clear from the need to appease founders on the fence, in the amendment's wording, and in the essays of several, attending founders. Legally speaking, legislatures have been allowed to regulate gun ownership, based on lifting the second and dependent clause out of it's context, or by requiring arms dealers to apply for a permit (which is fine, no one's right is infringed, and state commerce is the state's purview).

There is no protected, constitutional right extended to how and which migrants might be naturalized - the laws pertaining to migrants are within bounds of the Constitution. Anchor babies don't have a protected right to be American. There is no amendment guaranteeing citizenship to anybody, just because they were born on our soil. Its a legal question for the states, or for Congress to amend. SCOTUS have always decided, the 14th Amendment never had universal application, only a general application to freed blacks. The court surmised nobody could be citizens, except by birth into the parents' nation (the US), and nobody, having citizenship in another nation, could be citizens by any way but naturalization.

You're wrong on every count. Those who want anchor babies citizens by birth truly want extended government, beyond it's Constitutional bounds, even meddling in and overriding the migrant laws of other sovereign nations. You advocate robbing the rights of citizens, to advantage a push for unconstitutional laws entitling a foreigner to the rights of a citizen, on the basis of their economic class. Anchor baby laws only serve your masters, but go ahead and advocate a new amendment. Until you get one, pick your battles more carefully.

Ender
08-25-2017, 04:16 PM
There's dissonance between legality and Constitutionality. Constitutionally, the founders' intent was the People's right to keep and carry guns, being necessary for an orderly, regular militia, wouldn't be undermined. This is clear from the need to appease founders on the fence, in the amendment's wording, and in the essays of several, attending founders. Legally speaking, legislatures have been allowed to regulate gun ownership, based on lifting the second and dependent clause out of it's context, or by requiring arms dealers to apply for a permit (which is fine, no one's right is infringed, and state commerce is the state's purview).

There is no protected, constitutional right extended to how and which migrants might be naturalized - the laws pertaining to migrants are within bounds of the Constitution. Anchor babies don't have a protected right to be American. There is no amendment guaranteeing citizenship to anybody, just because they were born on our soil. Its a legal question for the states, or for Congress to amend. SCOTUS have always decided, the 14th Amendment never had universal application, only a general application to freed blacks. The court surmised nobody could be citizens, except by birth into the parents' nation (the US), and nobody, having citizenship in another nation, could be citizens by any way but naturalization.

You're wrong on every count. Those who want anchor babies citizens by birth truly want extended government, beyond it's Constitutional bounds, even meddling in and overriding the migrant laws of other sovereign nations. You advocate robbing the rights of citizens, to advantage a push for unconstitutional laws entitling a foreigner to the rights of a citizen, on the basis of their economic class. Anchor baby laws only serve your masters, but go ahead and advocate a new amendment. Until you get one, pick your battles more carefully.

Actually the 14th Amendment made everyone a slave.

Raginfridus
08-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Actually the 14th Amendment made everyone a slave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvD-rOn2Zm0

That's another topic. ;)