View Full Version : LIBERTY DIVISION STANDING STRONG

helmuth_hubener
08-21-2017, 09:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTgkTEDDog

THEY WILL NEVER COMPLY
THEY WOULD RATHER DIE

Valli6
08-21-2017, 02:17 PM
My father had an uncle who survived the battle of the Argonne Forest. He got an impressive medal for it - wish I could remember the proper name for it - I have it in a box of stuff somewhere. I didn't even know what it was when I found it in a drawer at my grandmothers house after she'd died. My Dad said he had shell shock so drank a lot, and became one of those hobos that would hop trains. Eventually he froze to death in a field with a bottle of whiskey in his hand.

oyarde
08-21-2017, 05:15 PM
My father had an uncle who survived the battle of the Argonne Forest. He got an impressive medal for it - wish I could remember the proper name for it - I have it in a box of stuff somewhere. I didn't even know what it was when I found it in a drawer at my grandmothers house after she'd died. My Dad said he had shell shock so drank a lot, and became one of those hobos that would hop trains. Eventually he froze to death in a field with a bottle of whiskey in his hand.

A Croix De Guerre ? Green and red stripes .

oyarde
08-21-2017, 05:28 PM
First American Private to receive a Croix De Guerre with Gold Palm for Valor in the Argonne was Henry Johnson ( Albany , NY ) of 369th Inf ( Harlem Hellfighters) formerly the 15th Regt of NY National Guard Wounded 21 times and held his position killing 4 germans with a bolo knife .

Valli6
08-22-2017, 11:00 AM
A Croix De Guerre ? Green and red stripes .
Thanks, but no, I don't think it was that and I haven't seen it in so long that can't remember exactly what was on it. Uncle John definitely wasn't a Harlem Hellfighter. He probably enlisted from either Cleveland, Ohio, NJ or possibly NY - that's how our family was spread out at the time

It was a brownish metal (bronze?). There was a larger, chunky part that hung from some smaller part. Unfortunately, I detached it from the upper part and only kept the bigger hanging part cause I had no idea what it was. (Stupid kid! :mad: I was a 13 year old girl at the time. :/) I only wanted the "nice" part. I can't even remember what the top part was - think it was just some type of bar, probably some ribbon. I found a picture of one like it online about 17 years ago but apparently never saved it to any newer computers. Wish I had paid more attention to my Dad's stories about the family.

What I do remember is that it was different from most medals I've seen because it wasn't just a symbol or face on it. It was more like a miniature illustration - there was a fiqure or two or more and I think little trees off in the background and that's why I liked it. They might've been crossing a small wooden bridge, towards the viewer. This had been sculpted onto a chunky cross shape similar to a + sign. If that rings any bells or if you know of a good website likely to have pictures of it, I'd appreciate you letting me know. I haven't been able to re-find it online anywhere.

oyarde
08-22-2017, 07:00 PM
Thanks, but no, I don't think it was that and I haven't seen it in so long that can't remember exactly what was on it. Uncle John definitely wasn't a Harlem Hellfighter. He probably enlisted from either Cleveland, Ohio, NJ or possibly NY - that's how our family was spread out at the time

It was a brownish metal (bronze?). There was a larger, chunky part that hung from some smaller part. Unfortunately, I detached it from the upper part and only kept the bigger hanging part cause I had no idea what it was. (Stupid kid! :mad: I was a 13 year old girl at the time. :/) I only wanted the "nice" part. I can't even remember what the top part was - think it was just some type of bar, probably some ribbon. I found a picture of one like it online about 17 years ago but apparently never saved it to any newer computers. Wish I had paid more attention to my Dad's stories about the family.

What I do remember is that it was different from most medals I've seen because it wasn't just a symbol or face on it. It was more like a miniature illustration - there was a fiqure or two or more and I think little trees off in the background and that's why I liked it. They might've been crossing a small wooden bridge, towards the viewer. This had been sculpted onto a chunky cross shape similar to a + sign. If that rings any bells or if you know of a good website likely to have pictures of it, I'd appreciate you letting me know. I haven't been able to re-find it online anywhere.

The French gave out an Honor medal of bronze that had an illustration on it ( Medaille d'honneur de Sante des Armees , for courage & devotion . ), but it was round not a cross . Many of the medals , french an american included were cross shaped but I do not remember any with illustrations . Probably would be French though , none of the US Campaign , Occupation or Service medals that I remember have that much detail.