PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Demands 1.3M IP Addresses Related to Trump Resistance Site

Antischism
08-14-2017, 04:30 PM
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/346544-dreamhost-claims-doj-requesting-info-on-visitors-to-anti-trump-website

The Department of Justice has requested information on visitors to a website used to organize protests against President Trump, the Los Angeles-based Dreamhost said in a blog post published on Monday.

DreamHost claimed that complying with the request from the Justice Department would amount to handing over roughly 1.3 million visitor IP addresses to the government, in addition to contact information, email content and photos of thousands of visitors to the website, which was involved in organizing protests against Trump on Inauguration Day.

“That information could be used to identify any individuals who used this site to exercise and express political speech protected under the Constitution’s First Amendment,” DreamHost wrote in the blog post on Monday. “That should be enough to set alarm bells off in anyone’s mind.”

The company is currently challenging the request. A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Friday in Washington.

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/we-fight-for-the-users/
Site in question (http://www.disruptj20.org/)
Search warrant (https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DH-Search-Warrant.pdf)

As we do in all such cases where the improper collection of data is concerned, we challenged the Department of Justice on its warrant and attempted to quash its demands for this information through reason, logic, and legal process.

Instead of responding to our inquiries regarding the overbreadth of the warrant, the DOJ filed a motion (PDF) (https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DH-DOJMotiontoShowCause.pdf) in the Washington, D.C. Superior Court, asking for an order to compel DreamHost to produce the records.

AngryCanadian
08-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Good.

KEEF
08-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Good.
Screw that... put the shoe on the other foot and had Hillary won and her DOJ asked for IP addresses of anyone who has visited a pro-Liberty anti Clinton site. Then what would the tune on this forum be?

dannno
08-14-2017, 05:26 PM
They should be investigating the terrorist organization Antifa. They have cause hundreds of thousands or more in property damage, they are responsible for the girl dying in Charlottesville yesterday and all those injurred in the car accident, they have assaulted countless Trump supporters with deadly weapons and they may have shot down a police helicopter.

I dunno about the anti-Trump inauguration rallies though.. There were people who had a hard time getting into the deploraball, there was some violence I believe that night as well.

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Good.

No, not good. You're brain dead if you think this is a good thing.

oyarde
08-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Good.

Nah , not really .

AngryCanadian
08-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Nah , not really .

So finding and punishing antifa members is not good?

oyarde
08-14-2017, 06:09 PM

I am not comforted by the DOJ investigating a million and 1/3rd IP addresses .

Danke
08-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Screw that...

Nah , not really .

Ok, what are you guys not telling us?

oyarde
08-14-2017, 06:34 PM
Ok, what are guys not telling us?

Well , this time they will find crimes against all the liberals on RPF's and next time it will be everyone else .

Pauls' Revere
08-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Screw that... put the shoe on the other foot and had Hillary won and her DOJ asked for IP addresses of anyone who has visited a pro-Liberty anti Clinton site. Then what would the tune on this forum be?

she probably already has that on her private server.

r3volution 3.0
08-14-2017, 07:10 PM

Hear Hear

The only people cheering this are mindless supporters of the NAZIs trying to deflect..

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Ok, what are guys not telling us?

I always thought you WERE a guy. Huh.

Danke
08-14-2017, 08:31 PM
I always thought you WERE a guy. Huh.

I am gender neutral. Bigot. And until recently, saying, "you guys" could be either sex, but I see you have fallen (jumped holding your skirt?) into the fray. Which pronoun should we address you as?

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 08:50 PM
I am gender neutral. Bigot. And until recently, saying, "you guys" could be either sex, but I see you have fallen (jumped holding your skirt?) into the fray. Which pronoun should we address you as?

Lol, took you a while to edit. Had to think pretty hard on that one?

angelatc
08-14-2017, 08:53 PM

I would rather the ISPs not even keep that information. No way would I support any administration going on a witch hunt like this.

Danke
08-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Lol, took you a while to edit. Had to think pretty hard on that one?

Your difinition of "a while." Cleaning up a post grammatically so AF doesn't get upset, takes a few minutes.

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Your difinition of "a while."

My 'difinition' would be 5 minutes.

UWDude
08-14-2017, 09:00 PM

So that's what you mean when you tell women you can last a while?

Back on topic... no, not good.

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
///

Danke
08-14-2017, 09:02 PM

I type with one finger on this stupid iPad, and many letters don't go though. So I have to edit.

but if it bothers you, I'll continue vs. using "preview post" etc.

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 09:04 PM

She always comes at 4;49 in so anything more is redundant.

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I type with one finger on this stupid iPad, and many letters don't go though. So I have to edit.

but if it bothers you, I'll continue vs. using "preview post" etc.

Yes, please do. Thank you.

Danke
08-14-2017, 09:05 PM

He is a minute man.

Origanalist
08-14-2017, 09:06 PM
He is a minute man.

5 minute man.

Danke
08-14-2017, 09:09 PM

Not sure you want to know what he tells his interests.

http://www.lacrosseplayground.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Screen-shot-2011-05-25-at-12.02.20-PM.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5a/6b/d1/5a6bd15887420df710b271227c0373af.jpg

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2732.jpg

Anti Federalist
08-14-2017, 09:12 PM
No, not good.

Not good at all.

Sets another horrible precedent.

spudea
08-14-2017, 10:04 PM
I would rather the ISPs not even keep that information. No way would I support any administration going on a witch hunt like this.

The website creators committed criminal acts and used the website to organize people for those criminal acts. If the voluntary request is denied, expect a warrant to follow soon after.

spudea
08-14-2017, 10:06 PM
No, not good.

Not good at all.

Sets another horrible precedent.

Crimes were committed. Evidence will be collected either voluntarily or with a warrant.

angelatc
08-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Crimes were committed. Evidence will be collected either voluntarily or with a warrant.

Unless they're Hillary, in which case they'll ask nicely and allow them to delete emails about yoga.

"Crimes were committed." Then arrest the people who got unruly.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2017, 10:27 PM

Then go and get a warrant.

Make damn sure:

no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Danke
08-14-2017, 10:28 PM

That is so 19th century.

Swordsmyth
08-14-2017, 10:32 PM

Make damn sure:
I am not sure which side I am on on this because I don't know enough about the alleged crimes, but they did get a warrant.
https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DH-Search-Warrant.pdf

enhanced_deficit
08-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Hopefuly Trump would not adopt ways of the "bad or sick guy" , "GFHTKOG".

https://thumbs.mic.com/ZjI2MmI4YjcxNyMvT2VRRmRmT1pkZXRkOE95UTJkSzRRamN4ST lJPS82eDA6MTI4MHg1ODcvNjIxeDI4Ni9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxp dHkoNzApL2h0dHA6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW 1pYy1pbWFnZXMvYmo5cnZrc2RsbmdubXJkb2JmbnBta3dwa21o amJnYXUwZTExaG1nam1ocndoY2J6ZXV6d2RzY2VqdXlsaGlmaC 5qcGc.jpg

James Woods called Obama GFHTKOG in 2013 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?428515-James-Woods-on-Obama-He%E2%80%99s-the-%E2%80%98gift-from-hell%E2%80%99&)
The Washington Times Thursday, September 12, 2013
The latest came this week, in response to a report from British press that revealed the National Security Agency commonly provides Israel with intelligence data — without first stripping out private and personal information on American citizens. The Guardian in London reported the item, the latest in its coverage of document leaks from Edward Snowden.

Antischism
08-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Andrew Napolitano is really angry about this. Watching him go off on Shep. Smith's show right now.

jllundqu
08-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Good.

You've lost your god damned mind if you think the government tracking IP traffic for political purposes is a good thing.

spudea
08-15-2017, 04:01 PM
You've lost your god damned mind if you think the government tracking IP traffic for political purposes is a good thing.

This isn't for political purposes. A warrant was obtained in the pursuit of a criminal investigation.

jllundqu
08-15-2017, 05:09 PM
This isn't for political purposes. A warrant was obtained in the pursuit of a criminal investigation.

Right... I'm sure they had probable cause for 1.3 million people, right?

jllundqu
08-15-2017, 05:10 PM
This isn't hard. If a person commits a crime, investigate and pursue legal means (ie warrant). Don't come into RPF and preach that the government can dragnet millions of people and not expect some pushback on your bullshit.

jllundqu
08-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Andrew Napolitano is really angry about this. Watching him go off on Shep. Smith's show right now.

Anyone grab the vid? I'd like to see

spudea
08-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Right... I'm sure they had probable cause for 1.3 million people, right?

A warrant was already obtained and probable cause argued was sufficient to the judge. This is no different than business records, when you register your information with a business entity, the individuals are no longer the owners of those records, you only have to establish probable cause on the business entity was engaged in criminal activity.

Swordsmyth
08-23-2017, 07:37 PM
DOJ gives up on getting all 1.3M IPs from anti-Trump websitehttps://finance.yahoo.com/news/doj-gives-getting-1-3m-054500755.html

KingNothing
08-23-2017, 07:45 PM

Oh, they most certainly would have gone after people like us had Hillary won. They did it when Obama won, for crying out loud, and you know Hillary would have pushed that one up to 11.

I'm done playing nice. They've defined a new set of rules, and we need to play by them. We literally never advocate violence. In fact, an overwhelmingly large swath of the right, namely the paleocons, nu-right, small-l and capital-L libertarians, advocate for the exact of violence. The far left is pulling crap like literally gunning down Republican congressmen, trashing campuses when a conservative speaker comes to down, executing police officers, lobbing balloons filled with urine at peaceful righties, and on and on. Screw them.

Now that someone from the right is in office, if they want to follow the law and seek judicial approval to investigate groups that have shown a propensity for violence, so be it. Hopefully this leads to more violent losers like Tim Kaine's son being tossed in jail.