PDA

View Full Version : Is the Expanding U.S. Military Presence in Syria Legal?

Origanalist
08-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Washington has gone rogue.

By SHARMINE NARWANI • August 4, 2017

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/shutterstock_shutterstock_611480519.jpg

In July, the White House and Pentagon requested authority from Congress to build further “temporary intermediate staging facilities” inside Syria in order to combat ISIS more effectively. This request, it must be noted, comes in the wake of devastating ISIS defeats in Syria, mostly by the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and its allied forces.

Shortly afterward, the Turkish state-owned Anadolu news agency revealed previously unknown details and locations of ten U.S. bases and outposts in northern Syria, several of them with airfields. These are in addition to at least two further U.S. outposts already identified in southern Syria, on the Iraqi border.

When asked about these military bases, a CENTCOM (U.S. Central Command) spokesman told me: “We don’t have bases in Syria. We have soldiers throughout Syria providing training and assist to the SDF (the mainly Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces in the north of the country).” How many soldiers? “Roughly 1,200 troops,” says CENTCOM.

Yet when questioned about the international law grounds for this U.S. military presence inside Syria, CENTCOM didn’t have a response on hand. They referred me to the Office of the Secretary of Defense whose spokesman obstinately cited U.S. domestic law—an issue quite irrelevant to Syrians. He, in turn, referred me to the White House and State Department on the international-law angle. The State Department sent me back to the Department of Defense, the White House pointed me in the direction of the National Security Council (NSC), and the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel blankly ignored my repeated requests.

It isn’t hard to conclude that official Washington simply doesn’t want to answer the “international law” question on Syria. To be fair, in December 2016, the Obama administration offered up an assessment on the legalities of the use of force in Syria, but perhaps subsequent ground developments—the SAA and its allies defeating ISIS and Al Qaeda left, right, and center—have tightened some lips in the nation’s capital.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/M-Fahd-Z-Adra-768x506.jpg
U.S. military bases and outposts in Syria identified by media and independent sources as of July 26. (Commissioned by the author from M. Fahd and Z. Adra.)

The map of U.S. bases in Syria is confusing. For starters, it reveals that many of the US outposts—or “staging facilities”—are nowhere near ISIS-controlled areas. This has generated some legitimate suspicion about U.S. motives in Syria, especially since American forces have begun to attack Syrian military targets with more frequency. This summer saw U.S. strikes against Syrian allied forces, drones, and a fighter jet all in the space of a few weeks. And most memorably, in September 2016, Coalition fighters killed over 100 SAA troops fighting ISIS in Deir Ezzor, paving the way for a brief ISIS takeover of strategic points in the oil-rich province.

It appears that U.S. intentions may go beyond the stated objective of fighting terrorism in Syria—and that Washington’s goals are also territorial and political and seek to retain post-conflict zones of influence within the country: in the south, north, and along the Syrian-Iraqi border.

Former Obama White House and NSC senior legal official Brian Egan believes the coming challenge for U.S. policymakers—in terms of international law—will be to justify clashes with Syrian forces and their allies.

“I think the harder international law question to defend is with respect to use of force against the [Syrian President Bashar] al-Assad regime,” warns Egan.

continued..http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/is-the-expanding-u-s-military-presence-in-syria-legal/

jllundqu
08-07-2017, 09:55 AM
The AUMF of 2001 is their only 'legal' justification for troops in the region.

We have come full circle, gents. We went from "target al Qaeda and its affiliates" to "train and equip al Qaeda and its affiliates for regime change".

timosman
08-07-2017, 09:58 AM

We have come full circle, gents. We went from "target al Qaeda and its affiliates" to "train and equip al Qaeda and its affiliates for regime change".

Are we paying too much for the terrorists to fight us? - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?513748-Are-we-paying-too-much-for-the-terrorists-to-fight-us

shakey1
08-08-2017, 12:16 PM
We got absolutely no business there... it's un-F'ing-constitutional.

r3volution 3.0
08-08-2017, 01:52 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1trz4j.jpg

Raginfridus
08-08-2017, 02:57 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1trz4j.jpg

The US abide by law ex post facto, and we shall reap the whirlwind they've sown.

We have come full circle, gents. We went from "target al Qaeda and its affiliates" to "train and equip al Qaeda and its affiliates for regime change".I agree, except the circle isn't closed, its a spiraling vortex of blood and treasure. We went from "train and equip al Qaeda and its affiliates for regime change" to "target al Qaeda and its affiliates" to "train and equip al Qaeda and its affiliates for regime change"... The CIA supplied bin Laden's father with funds, arms, and camps for training. Then the mujaheddin deployed to Afghanistan, Osama probably coordinating directly with the CIA. Once the Soviet-backed government fell, and the USSR had seemingly withdrawn, the mujaheddin splintered into petty warlords, and Osama bin Laden went "abroad" (Pakistan).

Truth be told, the Taliban merely united against those warlords, who preferred looting and defacing the country. They had no agency outside Afghanistan, no ongoing relation whatsoever to Osama bin Laden, or with his international "jihad". So that's the truth, we backed the warlords corroding the Taliban's reconstruction, many of whom weren't even Afghani, but jihadis from all over the Muslim world, recruited to join the mujaheddin we created.