PDA

View Full Version : Convictions of Blackwater cases from 2007 killings of 14 unarmed iraqi civilians overturned

charrob
08-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Our government protects its own, no matter the cost to others... there is no justice for the innocent... I suppose the hope that there ever could be in a government so corrupt and indifferent to the horror it has wielded against so many innocents is being nothing more than naive... :(

Convictions of Blackwater cases from 2007 killings of 14 unarmed iraqi civilians overturned in appeals court (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/murder-conviction-in-blackwater-case-thrown-out-other-sentences-overturned/2017/08/04/a14f275c-792e-11e7-9eac-d56bd5568db8_story.html?utm_term=.a3484cadd089)

A U.S. appeals court on Friday threw out the first-degree murder conviction of a former Blackwater Worldwide security guard sentenced to life in prison in the killings of 14 unarmed Iraqi civilians in a Baghdad traffic circle in 2007.

The court also ordered resentencings for three others convicted in the case.

The September 2007 shootings fomented deep resentments about the accountability of American security forces during one of the bloodiest periods of the Iraq War.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit panel ruled that the trial court “abused its discretion” in not allowing Nicholas A. Slatten, 33, of Sparta, Tenn., to be tried separately from his three co-defendants, even though he alone faced a murder charge for firing what prosecutors said were the first shots in the civilian massacre.

In a split ruling, the court also found the 30-year terms of the three others who had been convicted of manslaughter — Paul A. Slough, 37, of Keller, Tex.; Evan S. Liberty, 34, of Rochester, N.H.; and Dustin L. Heard, 35, of Maryville, Tenn. — violated the constitutional prohibition against “cruel and unusual punishment.”

They received 30 years because the men were also convicted of using military firearms while committing a felony, a charge that has primarily been aimed at gang members and never before against security contractors given military weapons by the U.S. government.

Lawyers for the four men were not immediately available for comment.

It could not immediately be determined if Slatten would be retried. Spokesmen for the U.S. Justice Department and U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips said Phillips’s office “is reviewing the opinion and has no further comment at this time.”

The four security guards opened fire on the Iraqis, including women and children, at Nisour Square.

In overturning the 30-year terms, U.S. circuit judges Karen LeCraft Henderson and Janice Rogers Brown wrote “we by no means intend to minimize the carnage attributable to Slough, Heard and Liberty’s actions. Their poor judgments resulted in the deaths of many innocent people,” the judges wrote. But instead of using a “sledgehammer,” they said the sentencing judge — U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth of the District — should instead tailor more “nuanced” penalties based on each defendant’s wrongdoing.

U.S. Circuit Judge Judith W. Rogers disagreed, saying the claim “lacks any merit whatsoever,” calling the 30-year terms “appropriate” for the crime and that other security guards chose not to fire their weapons at all that day.

Prosecutors said the four defendants, among 19 Blackwater guards providing security for State Department officials in Iraq, fired machine guns and grenade launchers in a reckless and out-of-control way after one of them falsely claimed their convoy, called Raven 23, was threatened by a car bomber.

The guards said that they acted in self-defense after coming under AK-47 gunfire as they cleared a path back to the nearby Green Zone for another Blackwater team that was evacuating a U.S. official from a nearby car bombing.

During the 10-week trial in 2014, no witness testified they saw the guards come under fire, nor was evidence found that AK-47 rifles carried by Iraqi insurgents were used at the time.

The four security guards were convicted in October 2014 and sentenced the following April before Lamberth in Washington. A 12-person jury found the men guilty of opening fire on the Iraqis.

The defendants had vowed to appeal what one called a “perversion of justice,” saying they fired in self-defense in a war zone and a city that was then one of the world’s most dangerous places.

At sentencing, Lamberth, a Ronald Reagan appointee and former Army captain, said the defendants, all U.S. military veterans, “appear overall to be good young men who have never been in trouble,” but added, “It is clear these fine young men just panicked.”

Lamberth commended the U.S. government for “finding and exposing the truth of what happened” after a long and troubled prosecution, saying, it entrusts contractors with deadly weapons and trains them to use them only when necessary and justified by the circumstances.

“The overall, wild, thing that went on here can just not be condoned by a court,” Lamberth said. “A court has to recognize the severity of the crimes committed, including the number of victims.”

However, Lamberth at the time acknowledged criticism by attorneys for Slough, Liberty and Heard about applying the mandatory 30-year term prosecutors sought for the firearms charge.

Lamberth sentenced the three men to time served on their other convictions for manslaughter and attempted manslaughter, as defense attorneys sought, but did so saying he expected he could resentence them if the firearms enhancement was reversed.

By a 2-1 vote, the three-judge panel did just that Friday, finding prosecutors misapplied a law that Congress originally aimed at violent drug traffickers to U.S. contractors with no prior criminal record, resulting in a punishment “grossly disproportionate to their culpability for using government-issued weapons in a war zone.”

The North Carolina-based security firm’s founder, Erik Prince, eventually left the company, which was renamed Xe Services, then later sold and renamed Academi.

RestorationOfLiberty
08-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Not in America=No power to punish them.

Suzanimal
08-04-2017, 05:26 PM
... “nuanced” penalties ....“appear overall to be good young men who have never been in trouble,” but added, “It is clear these fine young men just panicked.”

SMDH...

oyarde
08-04-2017, 05:39 PM
I was not there so I have no idea what happened . I agree with the judges that the court abused its discretion on the firearms charge.

charrob
08-06-2017, 01:36 PM
I was not there so I have no idea what happened .

From the article: "The four contractors were convicted of firing wildly into cars stalled in midafternoon traffic at Nisour Square on Sept. 16, 2007, pouring machine-gun bullets and grenades into crowds, including women clutching only purses and children holding their hands in the air. "

They shot 31 innocent civilians, including women and children; 14 of those civilians died. It was a massacre.

I agree with the judges that the court abused its discretion on the firearms charge.

If the firearms charge puts these thugs away for life, than i have no problem with it. 30 years for the deaths of 14 innocent people (31 people in total were shot) certainly does not seem severe to me: anyone that could do this is a threat to civil society.

However it does sound like they got the wrong guy that fired the first shots. Slatten was the only one convicted of murder because of firing the first shot; the other three were convicted of manslaughter. However, one of the other three actually admitted to firing the first shots directly following the massacre and was given immunity by the U.S. State Dpt.: why should anyone be given immunity if they were part of a massacre that shot 31 civilians and ultimately killed 14? I do agree each man should be tried independently and be held accountable for exactly what he did (ie. they should not be tried as a group but individually). But they should be fully prosecuted for what they did: there should be no "immunity" allowed.

I don't believe that people should be put in a cage unless they are a physical danger to civil society. Putting non-violent drug users into a cage is sick and twisted. Prosecuting Aaron Swartz and others like him is sick. But shooting 31 people, killing 14 : there's no excuse. And their defense lawyers want them to be completely freed for time served (which has been what, a couple years) for shooting 31 people??? I say throw the book at them!

And, btw, alot of these ex-military are the ones in this country who become cops and are shooting up innocent American people (and their pets) on a daily basis.