PDA

View Full Version : Trump endorses bill that would slash legal immigration

Swordsmyth
08-02-2017, 01:07 PM
President Trump backed a sweeping plan Wednesday to halve legal immigration to the United States, flanked by the two Republican senators who crafted the bill.“As a candidate I campaigned on creating a merit-based immigration system,” Trump said. He added that the legislation, called the RAISE Act (https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170802_New_RAISE_Act_Section_by_Section.pdf), would be the “most significant reform to our immigration system in half a century.”
The president said that the bill shows “compassion” to struggling American families and that it would “give American workers a pay raise by reducing unskilled immigration.”
Sens. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and David Perdue, R-Ga., first floated a version of the bill back in February (https://www.yahoo.com/news/emboldened-by-trump-republicans-aim-to-halve-legal-immigration-160727871.html). They proposed cutting the number of green cards given to family members of U.S. citizens by half and eliminating the annual visa “diversity” lottery that gives 50,000 green cards to people in nations without significant immigration levels to the U.S.
The bill would allow U.S. citizens to sponsor their minor children and spouses for legal status, but not their parents, adult children or siblings. (Some exceptions would be made for sick older parents.) That would likely reduce the number of new legal immigrants to the United States per year from roughly 1 million to 500,000.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-endorses-bill-slash-legal-immigration-172648068.html

spudea
08-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Is it true that Canada and Australia have similar merit based systems? The predictable loony left condemning this as racist...

RestorationOfLiberty
08-03-2017, 12:04 AM
Is it true that Canada and Australia have similar merit based systems? The predictable loony left condemning this as racist...

Funny how we demand to be like Australia when it comes to guns but we need to stay "All Merican!" when it comes to immigration.

UWDude
08-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Canada, New Zealand, and Australia have very strict immigration laws (way more strict than US laws). Switzerland has one of the strictest.

fedupinmo
08-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Hell, look at Mexico's immigration standards.

Zippyjuan
08-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Who will Trump hire? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?513492-Trump-s-Mar-a-Lago-resort-applies-for-70-foreign-worker-visas-during-Made-in-America-week

euphemia
08-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Who will Trump hire? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?513492-Trump-s-Mar-a-Lago-resort-applies-for-70-foreign-worker-visas-during-Made-in-America-week

I think I addressed this in the thread, but I think there may be a problem with 1) a lack of Americans applying for jobs who can 2) pass drug test and background checks, and 3) who want to do housekeeping or dishwashing on a temporary basis.

Zippyjuan
08-03-2017, 11:21 AM
I think I addressed this in the thread, but I think there may be a problem with 1) a lack of Americans applying for jobs who can 2) pass drug test and background checks, and 3) who want to do housekeeping or dishwashing on a temporary basis.

They would fall into the "limited education, limited English" category we "don't want" because they would take jobs from Americans.

The president said that the bill shows “compassion” to struggling American families and that it would “give American workers a pay raise by reducing unskilled immigration.”

Swordsmyth
08-03-2017, 01:00 PM

They would fall into the "limited education, limited English" category we "don't want" because they would take jobs from Americans.

I don't know or care who Dump's businesses hire, or whether it is right or wrong, we are not against all immigration or work visas. You want to make this a binary choice, but it is not.

CaptUSA
08-03-2017, 01:24 PM
So what happened to the line, "I'm all for legal immigration, it's the illegal immigration that bother us." I suppose the xenophobes can drop that ruse, now?

Swordsmyth
08-03-2017, 01:35 PM
So what happened to the line, "I'm all for legal immigration, it's the illegal immigration that bother us." I suppose the xenophobes can drop that ruse, now?
Less is not the same as none, we let in too many people and we let in the wrong ones.

CaptUSA
08-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Less is not the same as none, we let in too many people and we let in the wrong ones.

Lol, says who? Who are the "right" people?

Zippyjuan
08-03-2017, 04:58 PM
https://mises.org/blog/ron-paul-sums-his-anti-wall-anti-mass-deportation-views-immigration

Ron Paul took a more humane and consistent approach and refused to support more government surveillance or more wall building. At the same time, of course, he also advocated for reducing or ending subsidies for immigrants, since, as with products and services, and laborers of all types: if you subsidize it, you'll get more of it.

In this video, Paul and Daniel McAdams discuss Paul's views on immigration in light of the current debate over immigration.

On Trump's plan to round up and deport 15 million people:

Ron Paul: How practical do you think this would be to round up 15 million people without any consideration for due process?

McAdams: You’d essentially need a police state because you’d practically have to be going to go door to door almost, because they don’t keep track of these people.

Ron Paul: I think it’s impossible.

On building a wall and controlling labor:

Daniel McAdams: When we worked on immigration in your office, you were generally friendly with people who wanted some controls on the border. But we ran into terrible troubles with the extreme on [the conservative] side which wanted an authoritarian state here. They wanted "E-Verify" which means every American would have to prove he has a right to work in his own country. And then there's the wall they want.

Ron Paul: You’ll need a really efficient wall and a coast guard that goes up and down the coast blowing boats out of the water…The idea of building walls around the country, I think it’s a joke. I could never take a position that we need more barbed wire to solve this problem

At the core of the matter, however, Paul repeatedly notes that the central problem is a weak economy that cannot absorb new workers, and a welfare state that subsidizes immigration. Just as with anyone, migrants should be permitted to participate in the economy. But the welfare state distorts the benefits of labor moving toward jobs and capital. The solution to this, however, is not walls and government agents, but reductions in the welfare state, and limits on citizenship.

This position, of course, is consistent with Paul's usual laissez-faire positions in that it rejects government solutions in the form of ID cards, surveillance, regulation, and walls. At the same time, it calls for real reductions in government’s size and scope by reducing government controls on employment and labor, while reducing the welfare state. Limitations on citizenship are also consistent with this position since limiting citizenship (ceteris paribus) does not require an expansion of the state or intrusions in the free exercise of private property.

Swordsmyth
08-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Lol, says who? Who are the "right" people?
Non-communists, non-criminals, non-terrorists etc.

navy-vet
08-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Non-communists, non-criminals, non-terrorists etc.
I agree with that. I believe that President Trump also includes those who are unable or unwilling to carry their weight and contribute to the Country.

Swordsmyth
08-03-2017, 06:31 PM
I agree with that. I believe that President Trump also includes those who are unable or unwilling to carry their weight and contribute to the Country.
Yes, communists and criminals.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2017, 06:53 PM
I don't know or care who Dump's businesses hire, or whether it is right or wrong, we are not against all immigration or work visas. You want to make this a binary choice, but it is not.

This.

And I'll say it.

Shut it all down.

No long term immigration of any kind into United States until further notice.

Period.

timosman
08-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Gastarbeiter - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastarbeiter