PDA

View Full Version : Trump signs Russia sanctions bill but blasts Congress

timosman
08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/trump-signs-bipartisan-russia-sanctions-bill-241242

08/02/2017

President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed a bipartisan bill placing new sanctions on Russia — but in a statement, he claimed multiple aspects of the legislation violate the Constitution.

The sanctions, aimed at punishing Russia for its interference in the 2016 election, limit the president’s power to lift the sanctions without congressional approval and were initially resisted by the administration.

In one of two statements released almost simultaneously Wednesday morning by the White House, Trump said he supports the law's efforts to crack down on the actions of Iran, North Korea and Russia. But the White House protested what it sees as congressional encroachment on the president’s power in foreign affairs.

"In its haste to pass this legislation, the Congress included a number of clearly unconstitutional provisions," Trump said in one statement. "My Administration particularly expects the Congress to refrain from using this flawed bill to hinder our important work with European allies to resolve the conflict in Ukraine, and from using it to hinder our efforts to address any unintended consequences it may have for American businesses, our friends, or our allies."

The president's second statement included a stepped-up defense of his own administrations foreign policy and input on the legislation. Trump said that "despite its problems," he had signed the bill "for the sake of national unity." The statement characterized the governments of Iran and North Korea as "rogue regimes," a label he did not apply to the Russian government.

Even as he continues to label Russian interference in the election as a “hoax,” the statement went further in acknowledging the intrusion than Trump has in the past.

“I also support making clear that America will not tolerate interference in our democratic process, and that we will side with our allies and friends against Russian subversion and destabilization,” the statement said.

Still, Trump was quick to push back on what he views as congressional overreach.

"The bill remains seriously flawed — particularly because it encroaches on the executive branch’s authority to negotiate. Congress could not even negotiate a health care bill after seven years of talking," Trump said, in reference to congressional Republicans’ latest failure to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

"I built a truly great company worth many billions of dollars. That is a big part of the reason I was elected," the president continued. "As President, I can make far better deals with foreign countries than Congress.”

Dr.3D
08-02-2017, 11:35 AM
So by signing the bill, it looks like he is agreeing that Russia did interfere with the 2016 elections.

TheCount
08-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Trump just said that he is willing to sign unconstitutional legislation.

Specifically, he said that national unity is more important than the Constitution.

TheCount
08-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

I mean, whatever.

Jamesiv1
08-02-2017, 12:44 PM
You haters wouldn't know 4D chess is it bit you on the azz.

nikcers
08-02-2017, 12:53 PM
You haters wouldn't know 4D chess is it bit you on the azz.
I think the Trump fan's don't know what 4d chess really means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

goldenequity
08-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Trump just said that he is willing to sign unconstitutional legislation.

Specifically, he said that national unity is more important than the Constitution.

One of the first things I checked.
There's only 1 kinda 'bizarre' blog by some law professor that found more of a 'rules' issue
with 'how many days' the POTUS is given to respond.. etc.
but
on it's face it is not an 'unconstitutional' document.
and (of course)
that's the first thing the WH egg heads checked & cross checked w/ Judiciary.
so
I'm surprised he said that.
then again
not. :)

goldenequity
08-02-2017, 01:28 PM
OT

can someone explain wat this means?

https://www.weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Screen-Shot-2017-08-02-at-11.45.24-AM.png

TheCount
08-02-2017, 01:31 PM
One of the first things I checked.
There's only 1 kinda 'bizarre' blog by some law professor that found more of a 'rules' issue
with 'how many days' the POTUS is given to respond.. etc.
but
on it's face it is not an 'unconstitutional' document.
and (of course)
that's the first thing the WH egg heads checked & cross checked w/ Judiciary.
so
I'm surprised he said that.
then again
not. :)

It doesn't matter whether or not anyone else thinks that it's unconstitutional. Trump said that he thinks that it is, and yet signed it anyway.

juleswin
08-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Funny that Trump signed a bill that would limit his ability to unilaterally rescind a bill Obama unilaterally signed through and executive order. Anyone who voted for this bill is an idiot.

But then again, I know it is all a game, Trump would never have touched those sanctions Obama put in place, this bill just gives him cover to extend the pretend game that he is pro Russia.

I am one person who is not fool but this act.

gaazn
08-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Whats worse, sign it or have it overriden anyway?

juleswin
08-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Whats worse, sign it or have it overriden anyway?

Replead the Obama executive order sanctions on Russia before the congress ties your hands. That is what you seriously want to improve relationship with Russia. Also, try not to fill your admin with anti Russia a**holes.

Zippyjuan
08-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Replead the Obama executive order sanctions on Russia before the congress ties your hands. That is what you seriously want to improve relationship with Russia. Also, try not to fill your admin with anti Russia a**holes.

On the other hand, that could be seen as Trump acting for Russia while trying to show that he had no connections with them. This is also why he had troubles if he vetoed the bill.

He previously said he wanted Crimea returned to Ukraine. Vetoing sanctions would be letting Russia keep Crimea. https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-02-14/trump-expects-russia-to-return-crimea-to-ukraine-white-house

goldenequity
08-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Lawmakers Press Trump Administration to (soothe their guilt) Accelerate (Band-)Aid to Religious Minorities in Iraq
http://freebeacon.com/issues/lawmakers-press-trump-administration-to-accelerate-aid-to-religious-minorities-in-iraq/

christians! christians! christians! ;)

**this is how they can sleep at night.