PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Cory Booker just introduced a bill that could legalize marijuana nationwide

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 02:58 PM
The bill (https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8969423/Marijuana_Justice_Act.0.pdf), proposed by Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) on Tuesday, would remove marijuana from the federal scheduling system (https://www.vox.com/2014/9/25/6842187/drug-schedule-list-marijuana), which is the basis for its federal criminalization. That isn’t new in the Senate; Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), for one, also put forward (https://www.mpp.org/news/press/bernie-sanders-introduces-bill-in-senate-to-end-federal-marijuana-prohibition/) a bill that would deschedule marijuana back in 2015.
Where Booker’s bill goes further is it actively encourages states to legalize cannabis. Specifically, the bill leverages federal funds to incentivize legalization in states that have enforced laws against marijuana in a way that disproportionately impacts low-income people and people of color — a category that includes virtually every state. (A 2015 report (http://sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Black-Lives-Matter.pdf) from the Sentencing Project, for one, estimated that black Americans are 3.7 times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession as their white counterparts, but only 1.3 times as likely to use pot.)

The measure addresses the two layers of prohibition. Under current federal law, pot remains illegal even in states that have legalized — creating big barriers to states that have legalized, including restrictions on business tax deductions and access to banking. But whether marijuana is legal, decriminalized, or illegal at the state or local level is decided through state or local law — meaning that a city or state could conceivably keep marijuana illegal even if the federal government removes all its own restrictions.

More at: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2017/8/1/16073124/cory-booker-marijuana-legalization

euphemia
08-01-2017, 03:02 PM
This aggravates me no end. People should be able to grow and consume whatever they grow on their own property. Nobody should have to have the permission to do that.

For the record: I do not use pot. I think the liberty position is for government to stay out of it. Legalizing anything gives them permission to tax it.

dannno
08-01-2017, 03:03 PM
For the record: I do not use pot. I think the liberty position is for government to stay out of it. Legalizing anything gives them permission to tax it.

Ya but if you did use it, you might realize how much better paying a tax is than going to prison.

phill4paul
08-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Specifically, the bill leverages federal funds to incentivize legalization in states that have enforced laws against marijuana in a way that disproportionately impacts low-income people and people of color

Who. Gives. A. Fuck? Whether or not is 'disproportionately' impacts someone to a greater degree than someone else simply doesn't matter. Just decriminalize it. Strike every reference to 'Marijuana' from every government fatwah, edict, classification. Period.

But, it ain't gonna happen because...big pharma.

euphemia
08-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Ya but if you did use it, you might realize how much better paying a tax is than going to prison.

The point is that government should remove any kind of criminal or regulatory law. Period. This is the time when I hold the line that permission and taxation is still over the liberty line. Since this is not my issue, I think I am very objective.

I want total liberty for my friends.

dannno
08-01-2017, 03:22 PM
The point is that government should remove any kind of criminal or regulatory law. Period. This is the time when I hold the line that permission and taxation is still over the liberty line. Since this is not my issue, I think I am very objective.

Alright, so there are three options:

A) Decriminalize

B) Legalize

C) Criminalize

Right now we have option C. Option A is optimal, but Option B is preferable to option C.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Take what you can get, then try for more.

euphemia
08-01-2017, 03:32 PM

A) Decriminalize

B) Legalize

C) Criminalize

Right now we have option C. Option A is optimal, but Option B is preferable to option C.

Nope. The real liberty option is to repeal every law having to do with pot. Total silence by government.

euphemia
08-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Take what you can get, then try for more.

I am not down with that. It's a simple thing to repeal law and release people from prision. This is the one thing we can push for that will take back every liberty government has usurped. It's not a good concept to run for office on, but it is a good one to push for with an assembled legislature and admin. To me, this is the kind of thing Donald Trump says, "What's the big deal. Repeal all the laws."

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 03:41 PM
I am not down with that. It's a simple thing to repeal law and release people from prision. This is the one thing we can push for that will take back every liberty government has usurped. It's not a good concept to run for office on, but it is a good one to push for with an assembled legislature and admin. To me, this is the kind of thing Donald Trump says, "What's the big deal. Repeal all the laws."

The legislation would also be retroactive, so it would automatically expunge federal marijuana use and possession crimes from people’s records and let those currently serving time in prison for marijuana use or possession petition for resentencing.

Take what you can get or you will get nothing, but always push for more until things are right.

Working Poor
08-02-2017, 01:56 PM
I wonder if Rand will get on board wit it I hope so.

dannno
08-02-2017, 02:17 PM

A) Decriminalize

B) Legalize

C) Criminalize

Nope. The real liberty option is to repeal every law having to do with pot. Total silence by government.

That is precisely what I said in the post you were replying to.

I just said that decriminalizing is optimal, that means it is the best option. That is exactly what you said. We are both in agreement there.

The problem is that you think it is better to send people to jail for using pot than to fine them or tax them. That is the problem.

When California was legalizing, I got an email from an organization who was helping to work to write the new law. I emailed them and said the best way to do it is to decriminalize, regular old sales tax and 18+ to purchase. Why? Because as much as I wouldn' mind seeing it totally decriminalized to tell people that it will be ok for someone to grow it in their backyard and sell it to children is not going to fly. 18+ age limit and a sales tax is as close to decriminalization as you can realistically get, although like I said personally I wouldn't mind it being totally decriminalized at all.

Unfortunately my advice was not heeded.. however when the measure came up for vote, I had to decide which was better - our current state of affairs, or our state of affairs with the new bill.

specsaregood
08-02-2017, 02:20 PM
I wonder if Rand will get on board wit it I hope so.

I doubt it:

Where Booker’s bill goes further is it actively encourages states to legalize cannabis. Specifically, the bill leverages federal funds to incentivize legalization in states
I'm sure he's down with the status change, but using federal funds to incentivize legalizing it in the states? Uhm no and I hope not.

Swordsmyth
08-02-2017, 02:22 PM
I doubt it:

I'm sure he's down with the status change, but using federal funds to incentivize legalizing it in the states? Uhm no and I hope not.
Maybe that could be removed with an amendment.

specsaregood
08-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Maybe that could be removed with an amendment.

good luck with amending a dem bill so that it doesn't spend money. :) as written, I'd wager he wouldn't vote for it.

UWDude
08-02-2017, 02:57 PM
feels like a gotcha bill. Decriminalize, which some representatives can vote safely for... ...but then use federal funds to encourage legalization? Who could vote for that and get away with it with their constituency?