PDA

View Full Version : Cop Responds to Complaint of Kids Playing Football by Joining In—This is Community Policing

donnay
07-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Cop Responds to Complaint of Kids Playing Football by Joining In—This is Community Policing

A heartfelt video has gone viral and has set the bar for police officers across America as it shows what compassion and discretion are capable of creating.

By Matt Agorist - July 31, 2017

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/bufooa-696x366.jpg

Time and again, we’ve seen children held at gunpoint for walking home from a basketball game or assaulted for riding a bike. However, this story is different and it shows what a positive effect a compassionate officer can have when he uses his officer’s discretion while policing.

“I joined them for a couple of downs, and as you can see it’s taken on a life of its own,” McDonald said about the video which has since gone viral after being posted on social media this week.

“I’d just like to think that any other officer would have done the same thing that I did, and I bet there’s others who probably have,” he added.

As Buffalo News reported, the videos even got the attention of Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown, who called the episode “community policing at its best.”

Read more: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-football-compassion-video/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com

nikcers
07-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Absolutely not all of them are bad, they just get put into a position where bad choices are easier then good choices and the state turns them into revenue creators. They corrupt too easy when they are given too much power though. They get put into this role of being the cop, any anyone and everyone is a "robber". It dehumanizes people, and creates tribalism on both sides. If you don't act the role the real criminals walk all over you and you if don't make enough revenue for the state they get rid of you real fast. This justice system is an injustice system, and you can't fix it without changing people's perceptions and their attitudes towards law enforcement. That won't happen until the government makes an honest effort to end all of the injustices that are perpetuated by law enforcement.

Anti Federalist
07-31-2017, 01:28 PM
I think the bigger issue here is: what kind of malignant asshole calls cops on kids playing football in the street?

You want a police state?

That's how you get a police state.

Sure, this particular cop did not go on a power trip on this particular occasion, but rest assured, he will enforce the law when push comes to shove.

donnay
07-31-2017, 03:50 PM
I think the bigger issue here is: what kind of malignant $#@! calls cops on kids playing football in the street?

You want a police state?

That's how you get a police state.

Sure, this particular cop did not go on a power trip on this particular occasion, but rest assured, he will enforce the law when push comes to shove.

And maybe when push comes to shove we will see a lot of defectors.

timosman
07-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Great PR effort.:cool:

Jamesiv1
07-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Fake news.

kpitcher
07-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Those cops need to up their PR efforts.

The cops that played basketball with kids after a complaint, had Shack on their side.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/shaq-gainesville-police-department-kids-pickup-basketball-hoops-surprise

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-31-2017, 08:12 PM
https://i2.wp.com/www.maddistraction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/The_Longest_Yard_5_7_Movie_CLIP_Ball_Breaker_1974_ HD.gif

agitator
07-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Police officer buys diapers for woman allegedly shoplifting them for son

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-officer-buys-diapers-woman-caught-shoplifting-them-151004740--abc-news-parenting.html

angelatc
07-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Oh is this going to turn into the a feelgood cop sucking thread?

oyarde
07-31-2017, 09:17 PM
The local cops in my hometown actually sponsored the football league . There was no football in school until 8th grade , grade 3 - 7 football was PAL , police athletic league .

anaconda
07-31-2017, 09:41 PM
And apparently no relief for the citizens whose peace was being disturbed.

nikcers
07-31-2017, 09:48 PM
How dare kids go outside, that should be illegal. They should be inside and on a leash like all undomesticated animals.

anaconda
07-31-2017, 09:57 PM
Oh is this going to turn into the a feelgood cop sucking thread?

Looks that way. :(

anaconda
07-31-2017, 09:59 PM
I think the bigger issue here is: what kind of malignant $#@! calls cops on kids playing football in the street?

I guess the "libertarian" choice is to run away and move your residence.

Anti Federalist
07-31-2017, 10:12 PM

For fucks sake, you close the windows and move on with your life.

Seriously?

You are seriously saying you'd bitch to the cops about some kids playing football in the street?

The libertarian solution is to shrug it off and realize that sometimes people exercising their freedom might inconvenience you a little bit.

Then retire to the bathroom with some KY jelly and pliers to remove the 2x4 stuck up your ass.

People thinking this way is the much bigger problem than out of control cops:

Oh no, a kid riding a bike without a helmet! Call The Cops!

Oh no, somebody is playing loud music! Call The Cops!

Oh no, the couple next door is having an argument! Call The Cops!

Oh no, that guy just filled in a mud puddle! Call The Cops!

Oh no, that dog got loose! Call The Cops!

And on and on and fucking on.

anaconda
07-31-2017, 10:36 PM
For $#@!s sake, you close the windows and move on with your life.

Seriously?

You are seriously saying you'd bitch to the cops about some kids playing football in the street?

The libertarian solution is to shrug it off and realize that sometimes people exercising their freedom might inconvenience you a little bit.

Then retire to the bathroom with some KY jelly and pliers to remove the 2x4 stuck up your ass.

People thinking this way is the much bigger problem than out of control cops:

Oh no, a kid riding a bike without a helmet! Call The Cops!

Oh no, somebody is playing loud music! Call The Cops!

Oh no, the couple next door is having an argument. Call The Cops!

Oh no, that guy just filled in a mud puddle! Call The Cops!

Oh no, that dog got loose! Call The Cops!

And on and and on and $#@!ing on.

I honestly fail to see how one's person preferences are more important than another's. Some value football. Some value quiet. BTW I never said I would call the cops. It sounds like your personal valuation prefers the healthy socialization of street football over others' possible valuation of serenity. Which I imagine the likes of which contribute to the formation of community standards. Whatever they may be worth. I am uncertain if or how libertarian philosophy may or may not figure in. As I said, fleeing seems to be the only civil alternative if others' behavior is sufficiently objectionable in some way. No worries.

nikcers
07-31-2017, 10:54 PM
I honestly fail to see how one's person rights are more important than another's. Some value football. Some value quiet. BTW I never said I would call the cops. It sounds like your personal valuation prefers the healthy socialization of street football over others' possible valuation of serenity. Which I imagine the likes of which contribute to the formation of community standards. Whatever they may be worth. I am uncertain if or how libertarian philosophy may or may not figure in. As I said, fleeing seems to be the only civil alternative if others' behavior is sufficiently objectionable in some way. No worries.

You're moving in with your auntie and uncle in bel air.

nikcers
07-31-2017, 11:02 PM
For $#@!s sake, you close the windows and move on with your life..

Nope, its either move away if you are libertarian/anarchist or build a wall if you are statist/american firstist. Fight or flight anti federalist, quick there are 5 kids playing football outside, what are you going to do?

Anti Federalist
07-31-2017, 11:54 PM
I honestly fail to see how one's person preferences are more important than another's. Some value football. Some value quiet. BTW I never said I would call the cops. It sounds like your personal valuation prefers the healthy socialization of street football over others' possible valuation of serenity. Which I imagine the likes of which contribute to the formation of community standards. Whatever they may be worth. I am uncertain if or how libertarian philosophy may or may not figure in. As I said, fleeing seems to be the only civil alternative if others' behavior is sufficiently objectionable in some way. No worries.

You may not.

A lot of other people do.

And when they are inconvenienced in the slightest way, for the slightest little thing, like loud kids playing football in the street (assuming they were even loud in the first place, which is probably not the case) they call the cops. Women seem to be the worst in this regard, becoming unhinged harridans and calling cops at the drop of a hat.

Freedom does not mean you get your way in all things at all times.

Anti Federalist
07-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Nope, its either move away if you are libertarian/anarchist or build a wall if you are statist/american firstist. Fight or flight anti federalist, quick there are 5 kids playing football outside, what are you going to do?

I did both: moved and worked very hard to secure a large enough piece of land to buffer myself from 99 percent of humanity.

But even that was not enough, with only one neighbor, who turned out to be a pain in the ass and caused monetary damage to my property.

But I never even thought to call cops.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2017, 12:02 AM

Don't count on it.

In an EOTWAWKI situation, the only people that will have food, fuel, medicine and so on will be cops.

They will enforce the law, to the bitter end.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 12:52 AM
You're moving in with your auntie and uncle in bel air.

I wish.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Freedom does not mean you get your way in all things at all times.

Well said.

But would this include having to refrain, with contemptuous incredulity, from stealing the serenity around another because I insist on making reckless noise that I am too arrogant and lazy to take to the park or nearest schoolyard, or channel through headphones?

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 01:04 AM
Including not stealing the serenity of another because I insist on making reckless noise that I am too arrogant and lazy to take to the park or nearest schoolyard?

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F474x%2F56%2F79%2F2f%2F56792fe20ff 9388d7c022ee6758405e6.jpg&f=1

anaconda
08-01-2017, 01:18 AM
They will enforce the law, to the bitter end.

Perhaps not without a paycheck and a rigged court system to back them up.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 01:19 AM
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F474x%2F56%2F79%2F2f%2F56792fe20ff 9388d7c022ee6758405e6.jpg&f=1

Is there only mockery and contempt for values that are not consistent with the 51% approval for the community standard? More incentive to flee.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 01:21 AM
Can I assume you are enforcing a community standard?
I meant to visualize your attitude.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 02:23 AM
I meant to visualize your attitude.

With mockery? It seems you're making my point. But I appreciate the comment.

nikcers
08-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Is there only mockery and contempt for values that are not consistent with the 51% approval for the community standard? More incentive to flee.
what? You're the one mocking the freedom of movement and nonaggression and then make the allegory that it's somehow anarchy. The libertarian position is nonaggression, not calling the state to use their monopoly on force to force people to do something. Libertarians aren't going to start a war with a country because they are doing stuff they don't like.

Anarchy would be making them stop, shooting them. There's nothing wrong with nonaggression especially when no one is using violence against you or your property. If they are too loud go get some earplugs or earphones on. Put some soundproofing on your walls close your window shades or something. Are they in the street and won't move and blocking traffic creating a hazard, fine they should move they don't own the street. If they move out of the way though what's the harm, what are they taking from you?

shakey1
08-01-2017, 06:04 AM

I remember seein' this awhile back.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article159670899.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpYUnQsjtms

Wooden Indian
08-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Well said.

But would this include having to refrain, with contemptuous incredulity, from stealing the serenity around another because I insist on making reckless noise that I am too arrogant and lazy to take to the park or nearest schoolyard, or channel through headphones?

You type like someone I know talks.

Question... Did you recently defect to the Republican Party and or have you ever sacrificed a goat in the desert?

donnay
08-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Cop catches woman trying to steal diapers for her infant son... and BUYS them for her instead of arresting her

By Keith Griffith For Dailymail.com and Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 17:30 EDT, 31 July 2017

A rookie police officer is garnering praise for an act of kindness he extended to a woman accused of shoplifting.
Officer Bennet Johns, who joined the Laurel, Maryland police department in May, was called to a local grocery store on July 22 regarding a 20-year-old woman accused of shoplifting.
The woman was with her infant son and reportedly bought some items but did not have $15 for two packs of diapers, so tried to walk out with them.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/01/03/42DBEDAA00000578-4747898-image-a-24_1501555290933.jpg
Officer Bennet Johns is seen purchasing diapers for a shoplifing suspect last week in this picture taken by his training officer in Laurel, Maryland last week

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4747898/Police-officer-buys-diapers-shoplifting-suspect.html#ixzz4oVy96rfW

angelatc
08-01-2017, 08:47 AM

As a libertarian you have the right to soundproof your property.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 10:48 AM
As a libertarian you have the right to soundproof your property.

I suppose "as a libertarian" I could be really loud, obnoxious, and wildly rude in many ways and expect others to fortress their surroundings with sound proofing or simply move away from me. But I choose not to assault others in this way.

angelatc
08-01-2017, 11:01 AM

Looking at Venezuela, I'm not so sure. As long as the state is in charge of distributing commodities, then the people working for the state will be taken care of.

Anti Federalist
08-01-2017, 11:08 AM

The "paycheck" will be fuel, and medicine and food, when everybody else has none.

donnay
08-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Looking at Venezuela, I'm not so sure. As long as the state is in charge of distributing commodities, then the people working for the state will be taken care of.

Throughout history good always triumphs evil.

"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come." ~ Victor Hugo

surf
08-01-2017, 11:25 AM
"I looked like Sammy Watkins"

yeah, this was a feel-good cop story. when I was in college I lived w/6 UW Husky football players. 3 went to the NFL and 3 became cops. One of those that became a cop ended up writing a long front-page article defending the actions of the police when it came to beating the shit out of the protestors during the (somewhat) infamous battle of Seattle (WTO). I was disappointed.

the number of ex-college football players that become cops is extraordinary. football and protection (sans offensive line) are generally oxymoronic

angelatc
08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Throughout history good always triumphs evil.

"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come." ~ Victor Hugo

I think the score so far is tied. For some reason watching Venezuela fall apart has me troubled. As a leader, at what point do you realize you suck at leading and resign? I'd like to think that starving children in my country would be a huge tell for me.

And yet there he is, doubling down.

timosman
08-01-2017, 12:35 PM
I think the score so far is tied. For some reason watching Venezuela fall apart has me troubled. As a leader, at what point do you realize you suck at leading and resign? I'd like to think that starving children in my country would be a huge tell for me.

You have to be kidding - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?477773-Bay-Area-Who-s-Hungry-campaign-shows-hunger-as-silent-epidemic-for-California-kids

donnay
08-01-2017, 12:47 PM

And yet there he is, doubling down.

This is what evil people do.

Stalin's Forced Famine in the Ukraine: 1932-1933 7000000 Deaths...

Hitler starve many as well to ration food for his troops...

Mao starved his people...

Pol Pot starved his people...

Kim Jong Il Starved North Korea...

dannno
08-01-2017, 02:23 PM
I suppose "as a libertarian" I could be really loud, obnoxious, and wildly rude in many ways and expect others to fortress their surroundings with sound proofing or simply move away from me. But I choose not to assault others in this way.

Would you do that if you could? I don't think most people have the desire to make everybody around them, hate them.

At the same time, if you live close to other people you can't complain when they are doing what they wanna do.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 02:33 PM
At the same time, if you live close to other people you can't complain when they are doing what they wanna do.

Of course I can complain if I choose to. No ordinance against that.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Would you do that if you could? I don't think most people have the desire to make everybody around them, hate them.

In fairness, I did say "I choose not to assault others in this way."

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Of course I can complain if I choose to. No ordinance against that.
True, but not to the Kops, that would be wrong.

phill4paul
08-01-2017, 02:46 PM
As a child I grew up in Homestead, Fla. We played football in the street all the time. We rode bikes and played frisbie. We skate boarded. Someone would really have had to have a stick up their ass to do so. It was a neighborhood, with, you know, neighbors.

dannno
08-01-2017, 02:51 PM
In fairness, I did say "I choose not to assault others in this way."

So then what's the problem? Most people aren't out there saying, "gee, let me do what I can to bother my neighbors" they are exercising their preferences. If your preferences aren't in line, then find a place where they are. It's a big world and a lot of people like serenity.

donnay
08-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Cop Driving Home With His 2 Kids Sees Elderly Man Mowing Lawn, So He Stops And Does It For Him

by GWENDOLYN PLUMMER Published Aug 01, 2017

Mowing the lawn is one of my least favorite chores. Luckily, I’m not usually the one who does it.

Some people will go out of their way to find unique methods of landscaping, while others hire someone else to do the job. There are still plenty of people, though, who are willing to cut the grass themselves.

When Capt. Cortrell Davis, a police officer in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, noticed an elderly man mowing his large lawn all alone, he understood how physically taxing the chore could be. The officer immediately knew he wanted to help.

Capt. Davis was driving home with his two children, 12 and 16, when he noticed the man. Instead of driving past the neighbor with a smile, Capt. Davis stopped and asked the man if he could help him out.

The man, who according to a Facebook post from the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office is named Larry Johnson, was confused at first. Ultimately, though, he was grateful for the captain’s help.

Capt. Davis says it’s important for him to give back to the community. This moment was both a way for him to do exactly that and a way for him to show his children how important it is to help your neighbors.

Children learn from example, so this will probably be a very important lesson for them as they become adults.
https://www.littlethings.com/cop-mows-lawn/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com

timosman
08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Onion?

donnay
08-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Onion?

They make you cry. :)

anaconda
08-01-2017, 05:15 PM
So then what's the problem? Most people aren't out there saying, "gee, let me do what I can to bother my neighbors" they are exercising their preferences. If your preferences aren't in line, then find a place where they are. It's a big world and a lot of people like serenity.

This was, in fact, essentially my original statement..that the "libertarian" position must be none other than to flee. Which drew a great deal of ire and judgement, presumably regarding community standards and personal values. On the other hand, if a sufficient number of neighbors wish to set a high bar for noise tolerance, then another person could theoretically play electric guitar all night long in the middle of the street with Marshall stacks rigged up to a generator. But, oh dear! That would go against their "community standard" for noise tolerance. They'd be calling the cops in a heartbeat.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 05:16 PM
If your preferences aren't in line, then find a place where they are. It's a big world and a lot of people like serenity.

Please define "in line." Thanks.

Origanalist
08-01-2017, 05:40 PM

They will always get that paycheck because;
1. The people are indoctrinated into believing they are a necessary function of society.
2. They will imprison or kill you if you refuse to provide said paycheck.

Origanalist
08-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Fucking Californians, I swear.

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 06:01 PM
This was, in fact, essentially my original statement..that the "libertarian" position must be none other than to flee. Which drew a great deal of ire and judgement, presumably regarding community standards and personal values. On the other hand, if a sufficient number of neighbors wish to set a high bar for noise tolerance, then another person could theoretically play electric guitar all night long in the middle of the street with Marshall stacks rigged up to a generator. But, oh dear! That would go against their "community standard" for noise tolerance. They'd be calling the cops in a heartbeat.
There is a threshold where your argument makes sense, but a ball game is far below it.

Wooden Indian
08-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Hey, coppers, those kids are playing too loudly outside which offends my delicate ears, and I don't have the nerve to ask them to quiet down myself.
So I'll use your guns and authority to force them in line. Thanks! Now let me get back to posting on the ronpaulforums....

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 07:03 PM

anaconda
08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Hey, coppers, those kids are playing too loudly outside which offends my delicate ears, and I don't have the nerve to ask them to quiet down myself.
So I'll use your guns and authority to force them in line. Thanks! Now let me get back to posting on the ronpaulforums....

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

I do not advocate calling the cops. I never advocated for this. Especially in this thread.

anaconda
08-01-2017, 07:09 PM
There is a threshold where your argument makes sense, but a ball game is far below it.

What do you perceive as my argument?

Swordsmyth
08-01-2017, 07:48 PM
What do you perceive as my argument?
That there is such a thing as "Disturbing the peace".

nikcers
08-01-2017, 07:58 PM
That's a very isolationist position, if you consider yourself an isolationist then away you go. We tend to lean non interventionist rather then isolationist here.

Occam's Banana
08-01-2017, 08:54 PM
As Buffalo News reported, the videos even got the attention of Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown, who called the episode “community policing at its best.”

You'd think that "community policing at its best" would consist in things such as prevenitng (non-victimless) crimes while not beating/shooting/killing innocent people and/or animals (rather than in things such as playing a few downs of pick-up football).

But apparently not ...

angelatc
08-01-2017, 10:45 PM
You have to be kidding - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?477773-Bay-Area-Who-s-Hungry-campaign-shows-hunger-as-silent-epidemic-for-California-kids

There's a huge difference between living paycheck to paycheck, which is what that thread boils down to, and not having any food in any of the grocery stores available to buy.

Nobody in California is starving to death. If you don't have food, you can go through a dumpster, find an old chair and sell it on Craigslist.

dannno
08-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Please define "in line." Thanks.

If you don't like your neighborhood, why would you live there unless you're poor?

There are all kinds of neighborhoods with all kinds of noises and levels, and there is country living. Are you saying there is not something for you, somewhere out there? Come on Fievel, sing it..

I mean, why would you want to go into a new neighborhood and change the way everybody else is? Conversely, why would you want to stop your neighborhood, if you live in one, from adapting and changing to the needs of the people who live there? I guess it's just important not to get too attached to your living situation particularly if you are in an area that is susceptible to adapting and changing, many are less susceptible and those are available options as well.

anaconda
08-02-2017, 03:10 AM
That there is such a thing as "Disturbing the peace".

Ah, exactly. I think that there probably is. I think most all municipalities do, too. FWIW.

anaconda
08-02-2017, 03:10 AM
If you don't like your neighborhood, why would you live there unless you're poor?

There are all kinds of neighborhoods with all kinds of noises and levels, and there is country living. Are you saying there is not something for you, somewhere out there? Come on Fievel, sing it..

I mean, why would you want to go into a new neighborhood and change the way everybody else is? Conversely, why would you want to stop your neighborhood, if you live in one, from adapting and changing to the needs of the people who live there? I guess it's just important not to get too attached to your living situation particularly if you are in an area that is susceptible to adapting and changing, many are less susceptible and those are available options as well.

Excellent points, Sir.

anaconda
08-02-2017, 03:13 AM
That's a very isolationist position, if you consider yourself an isolationist then away you go. We tend to lean non interventionist rather then isolationist here.

Fair points, well said, and very germane.

donnay
08-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Police Officer Buys Shirt And Tie For Shoplifter Preparing For Job Interview

It is not often that shoplifters get a second chance – but this 18-year-old found a reprieve in a compassionate Canadian constable.

By: Good News Network It is not often that shoplifters get a second chance – but this 18-year-old found a reprieve in a compassionate Canadian constable.
The youth had been caught attempting to steal a dress shirt, tie, and socks from a Toronto Walmart earlier this week.
Const. Niran Jeyanesan was then called onto the scene by the store’s loss prevention officer after the shoplifter had been detained.
Upon talking with the perpetrator, however, Jeyanesan discovered that the man had tried to steal the products in order to prepare for a job interview that he had on Tuesday. Without any resources or finances to his name, the man felt that shoplifting was his only option.
When the young man was released without any charges, Jeyanesan then secretly bought the clothes and gave them to the youth for his job interview
“This young person has been facing his own difficulties in life and he was looking to straighten out all that by providing for his family and trying to get a job,” Jeyanesan told CP24 News.

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/police-officer-buys-shirt-and-tie-for-shoplifter-preparing-for-job-interview/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com