PDA

View Full Version : Would you support me if I decided to run for political office?

Brett85
07-23-2017, 02:56 PM
I'm just posting a poll to try to gauge people's support if I were to run for state representative. I live in Kansas where they just passed a massive 1.2 billion tax increase. My representative is a liberal Republican who voted for that tax increase. He and all of the other big government Republicans in Kansas need to be replaced in the next election. I know that in the past people on this forum have had plenty of disagreements with me, and I'm seen as one of the more "moderate" members of the forum. But, I just thought I would ask anyway and see if anyone would be willing to donate money to my campaign for state representative if I choose to run. (Even if it's only a small amount)

Natural Citizen
07-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Absolutely.

I might even write yo ace a speech if'n ya needed. We can get a posse up on the overpass with some signs and stuff, too.

Anti Federalist
07-23-2017, 03:04 PM
The more Ron Paul people in office the better, regardless of "moderation".

oyarde
07-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Yes . but I may ask for favors later .

Natural Citizen
07-23-2017, 03:43 PM

^^^This^^^^

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 03:47 PM
There are only a few people on this site that I wouldn't support. It's hard not to be an improvement over the typical politician.

KEEF
07-23-2017, 04:10 PM
I'm just posting a poll to try to gauge people's support if I were to run for state representative. I live in Kansas where they just passed a massive 1.2 billion tax increase. My representative is a liberal Republican who voted for that tax increase. He and all of the other big government Republicans in Kansas need to be replaced in the next election. I know that in the past people on this forum have had plenty of disagreements with me, and I'm seen as one of the more "moderate" members of the forum. But, I just thought I would ask anyway and see if anyone would be willing to donate money to my campaign for state representative if I choose to run. (Even if it's only a small amount)
I voted a maybe. More than likely yes, but I don't know you nor any of what your stances are. I have a good idea what your views are, but for me to support someone I do not know other than because he/she is one a forum that frequent would seem like me voting for a candidate just because they are part a a a particular party and I don't want the other team to win.

Dont take it the wrong way, and I do support anyone wanting to run for an office, I just cannot throw any fiscal support behind a candidate until I know as much as I can on them.

phill4paul
07-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Can't say how much or to what extent given that it would be state legislation outside my state, but yeah. Even if it were just a small donation in the form of a money bomb.

Brett85
07-23-2017, 04:48 PM
I voted a maybe. More than likely yes, but I don't know you nor any of what your stances are. I have a good idea what your views are, but for me to support someone I do not know other than because he/she is one a forum that frequent would seem like me voting for a candidate just because they are part a a a particular party and I don't want the other team to win.

Dont take it the wrong way, and I do support anyone wanting to run for an office, I just cannot throw any fiscal support behind a candidate until I know as much as I can on them.

I'm opposed to all tax increases and fee increases, opposed to all restrictions on gun ownership, support cutting spending, support reducing regulations, support preserving religious liberty, would push for ending civil asset forfeiture, would push for ending no knock raids of people's homes, would push for legalizing hemp and medical marijuana, etc.

tod evans
07-23-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm opposed to all tax increases and fee increases, opposed to all restrictions on gun ownership, support cutting spending, support reducing regulations, support preserving religious liberty, would push for ending civil asset forfeiture, would push for ending no knock raids of people's homes, would push for legalizing hemp and medical marijuana, etc.

'Splain please?

Brett85
07-23-2017, 04:55 PM
'Splain please?

I don't think that a bakery owner should be forced by law to bake a cake for a same sex wedding.

oyarde
07-23-2017, 04:55 PM

Sounds like a good platform .

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 04:57 PM
What about voter ID?

Brett85
07-23-2017, 04:58 PM
What about voter ID?

I support it. I imagine that's an issue that divides libertarians.

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 05:01 PM
I support it.
Good.

I imagine that's an issue that divides libertarians.
I have yet to hear one oppose it, It shouldn't be an issue since it doesn't violate anyone's rights.

phill4paul
07-23-2017, 05:01 PM
I don't think that a bakery owner should be forced by law to bake a cake for a same sex wedding.

I don't think this needs to be phrased in the form of "religious freedom" though that may help you to get support in certain sectors. I would just phrase it as "freedom of association." Though that would not garner near enough support as going the religious route.

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't think this needs to be phrased in the form of "religious freedom" though that may help you to get support in certain sectors. I would just phrase it as "freedom of association." Though that would not garner near enough support as going the religious route.
Maybe he could say both.

Brett85
07-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Yeah, I understand in theory that a restaurant owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone he wants to for any reason. But, I live in a religious area, so it's beneficial politically to frame the issue by using the term religious liberty.

phill4paul
07-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Maybe he could say both.

I agree. There's no reason why that couldn't be done. Freedom of association means for religious conviction or plain old "I don't like your looks, get out of my establishment."

phill4paul
07-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I understand in theory that a restaurant owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone he wants to for any reason. But, I live in a religious area, so it's beneficial politically to frame the issue by using the term religious liberty.

Fair enough. It's what I figured. I have no problem with it.

tod evans
07-23-2017, 05:30 PM

How 'bout h o m o's in publix skools?

Muslims or Jews wanting their "religious freedom"?

I'd probably offer my support for your candidacy TC but you've gotta be honest about your positions, omission is the same as lying.

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 05:33 PM
I would hope he opposes "Public Schools"

What do you mean? The details of what you mean make all the difference.

I'd probably offer my support for your candidacy FF but you've gotta be honest about your positions, omission is the same as lying.
Perhaps he only means what he said he means?

angelatc
07-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Run Brett run.

oyarde
07-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Good.

I have yet to hear one oppose it, It shouldn't be an issue since it doesn't violate anyone's rights.

Went smoothly here . Been in place since 08 if I recall.

Brett85
07-23-2017, 05:46 PM

I'd probably offer my support for your candidacy FF but you've gotta be honest about your positions, omission is the same as lying.

If I decide to run, I was planning on putting on my website that I support preserving religious liberty for people of all faiths.

Also, it's hard to run for office as a hardcore libertarian and actually win. If you think you can do it, then you should try. In some ways my district is the exact opposite of libertarian. My district is culturally conservative but strongly supports things like public schools. So my views will have to be watered down to some extent to have any chance to win, just like the campaigns that Rand Paul ran. I'm just trying to be honest with you. I just posted this thread to try to gauge support for my campaign if I choose to run, but you may not want to donate money to my campaign if you expect me to run as a hardcore libertarian. That isn't really politically possible. My platform will be similar to what I posted in post #9, sort of mainstream libertarianism or conservative libertarianism but not what people in my district would consider to be "extreme positions."

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 05:54 PM
My district is culturally conservative but strongly supports things like public schools.
Then School choice (School Vouchers etc.) and Local/Parental control of the schools would be the best position to take.

phill4paul
07-23-2017, 05:56 PM
If I decide to run, I was planning on putting on my website that I support preserving religious liberty for people of all faiths.

Also, it's hard to run for office as a hardcore libertarian and actually win. If you think you can do it, then you should try. In some ways my district is the exact opposite of libertarian. My district is culturally conservative but strongly supports things like public schools. So my views will have to be watered down to some extent to have any chance to win, just like the campaigns that Rand Paul ran. I'm just trying to be honest with you. I just posted this thread to try to gauge support for my campaign if I choose to run, but you may not want to donate money to my campaign if you expect me to run as a hardcore libertarian. That isn't really politically possible. My platform will be similar to what I posted in post #9, sort of mainstream libertarianism or conservative libertarianism but not what people in my district would consider to be "extreme positions."

In other words... a possibly winnable position.

Brett85
07-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Then School choice (School Vouchers etc.) and Local/Parental control of the schools would be the best position to take.

I think I would mostly focus on getting rid of waste within public schools and doing things more efficiently. Because I can see quite a bit of waste that goes on within the public school in my town.

tod evans
07-23-2017, 06:02 PM
I would hope he opposes "Public Schools"

The question was posed in light of "religious liberty" not whether or not "Public Schools" should be supported.

What do you mean? The details of what you mean make all the difference.

I typed exactly what I meant, there are no hidden meanings or details to elaborate on.

Perhaps he only means what he said he means?

Perhaps, but there's a long history under a couple of pseudonyms to take into account.

My query(s) were specifically posed in regard to the phrase "religious liberty" because that phrase is used to represent different things to different audiences.

tod evans
07-23-2017, 06:07 PM

I'm not a hardcore libertarian so that wouldn't dissuade me at all...

You've read enough here over the years to balance some of what you're being fed at skool...

Don't ever stop thinking for yourself and always question the motives of anyone who tries to change your position on anything.

oyarde
07-23-2017, 06:45 PM
I think I would mostly focus on getting rid of waste within public schools and doing things more efficiently. Because I can see quite a bit of waste that goes on within the public school in my town.

In my state public school is pd for with about all property tax collected and about half of state tax collected and the state spends 10k per kid per yr . Avg private school tuition is less than half that . So without public education state tax could be cut by half and property tax eliminated , however state funded education is in the state constitution so I never expect to see it in my lifetime. The costs alone though should be enough for all to see that it costs twice as much as it should . The difference is the salaries .

Brett85
07-23-2017, 06:49 PM
In my state public school is pd for with about all property tax collected and about half of state tax collected and the state spends 10k per kid per yr . Avg private school tuition is less than half that . So without public education state tax could be cut by half and property tax eliminated , however state funded education is in the state constitution so I never expect to see it in my lifetime. The costs alone though should be enough for all to see that it costs twice as much as it should . The difference is the salaries .

In Kansas the Kansas Supreme Court consistently forces the Kansas legislature to spend more money on education. It's a battle to simply slow the rate of growth of education spending in our state. It's never cut. It's impossible to cut it when the Kansas Supreme Court forces the legislature to increase education spending by large amounts.

Swordsmyth
07-23-2017, 06:52 PM
In Kansas the Kansas Supreme Court consistently forces the Kansas legislature to spend more money on education. It's a battle to simply slow the rate of growth of education spending in our state. It's never cut. It's impossible to cut it when the Kansas Supreme Court forces the legislature to increase education spending by large amounts.
It sounds like you should promote a state constitutional amendment to stop the court from doing that.

Brett85
07-23-2017, 07:01 PM
It sounds like you should promote a state constitutional amendment to stop the court from doing that.

Yeah, or propose a bill defunding the Supreme Court until they stop forcing the legislature to increase education spending by specific amounts.

heavenlyboy34
07-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Don't have any money, but as my profile says, if you have a solid "liberty" platform I can help with graphic design/illustration/music work for your campaign.

oyarde
07-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Yeah, or propose a bill defunding the Supreme Court until they stop forcing the legislature to increase education spending by specific amounts.

That is terrible that the court has the power to do that .

KEEF
07-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Thank you.

r3volution 3.0
07-24-2017, 09:58 PM
I'd support you Brett85.

Consider developing a budget, or at least an outline of a budget, to show what specific spending you'd like to cut.

Brett85
07-25-2017, 10:04 PM
I'd support you Brett85.

Consider developing a budget, or at least an outline of a budget, to show what specific spending you'd like to cut.

I'm planning on looking into that and then listing specific spending cuts on my campaign website. There's some higher up guys in Kansas who work at various conservative and libertarian think tank organizations that I was going to consult about that.

r3volution 3.0
07-25-2017, 11:17 PM
I'm planning on looking into that and then listing specific spending cuts on my campaign website. There's some higher up guys in Kansas who work at various conservative and libertarian think tank organizations that I was going to consult about that.

I'll be looking forward to it. Good luck all around.

invisible
07-28-2017, 07:42 PM
No hesitation in voting yes. Even when you have disagreed with people, you have still had an open enough mind and the intellectual honesty to admit when someone else is correct with a superior argument. That shows integrity.

tod evans
07-28-2017, 07:48 PM
No hesitation in voting yes. Even when you have disagreed with people, you have still had an open enough mind and the intellectual honesty to admit when someone else is correct with a superior argument. That shows integrity.

Well said!

misterx
08-13-2017, 05:34 PM
I voted maybe. I'd have to know more about you still, and who your opponent is, but more than likely based on what you've said so far. What is your position on borders? Do you believe in the free movement of people, or the right to national sovereignty?

acptulsa
08-13-2017, 05:55 PM
I voted maybe. I'd have to know more about you still, and who your opponent is,

Really? You know Brett, a.k.a. Traditional Conservative. He's stuffy by libertarian standards, but that's right down Kansas' alley. He knows how to stick to his guns. He was here when you got here, you ought to know him by now.

And I would hope he's for open borders! And you do too! Get a map and look at what borders the Kansas State Legislature is responsible for, before you take him to task for not promising a wall...

TheTexan
08-13-2017, 06:40 PM
We can get a posse up on the overpass with some signs and stuff, too.

Now we're talking!

+rep

TheTexan
08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Voted Maybe,

it would be irresponsible to pledge my support without first researching the other candidates

misterx
08-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Really? You know Brett, a.k.a. Traditional Conservative. He's stuffy by libertarian standards, but that's right down Kansas' alley. He knows how to stick to his guns. He was here when you got here, you ought to know him by now.

And I would hope he's for open borders! And you do too! Get a map and look at what borders the Kansas State Legislature is responsible for, before you take him to task for not promising a wall...

Sorry, I don't hang out here as much as you. However, from what I know of him I'll more than likely support him. Anyways, I won't support him if he is someone who is going to vote for driver's licenses for illegal aliens, or any number of other things that state legislators do to support the third-world invasion of the United States.

Brett85
10-13-2017, 08:02 PM
I voted maybe. I'd have to know more about you still, and who your opponent is, but more than likely based on what you've said so far. What is your position on borders? Do you believe in the free movement of people, or the right to national sovereignty?

Like acptulsa said, I'm certainly in favor of the free movement of people across the Kansas border. :) I'm opposed to driver's licenses for illegal immigrants.

Brett85
10-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Voted Maybe,

it would be irresponsible to pledge my support without first researching the other candidates

Hmmm, well ok. :) The only candidate who's likely to be in the race is the current incumbent, who's pretty close ideologically to someone like Susan Collins. Although I guess you never know for sure who might enter the race.

The Rebel Poet
10-14-2017, 06:38 AM

This. It's the right thing to do, and as a bonus, the phrase "activist judges" is major red meat.

The Rebel Poet
10-14-2017, 06:47 AM
my views will have to be watered down to some extent
Are you referring to how you vote, what you plan to say your views are, or with what tone you explain what your views are?

Brett85
10-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Are you referring to how you vote, what you plan to say your views are, or with what tone you explain what your views are?

Mostly rhetoric. For instance, I'm not running a campaign "opposing" public schools. However, I'm at least going to point out specific examples of waste within public schools, and illustrate that getting rid of this waste won't harm public schools, but will actually enhance our children's education. I live in a rural community where a large number of voters are employed by public schools. It's a delicate issue that requires a smart approach.

Brett85
10-14-2017, 07:41 PM
I will, however, be absolutely clear that the Kansas Supreme Court should have no role in the issue of education. And yes, the Kansas Constitution should be amended to say something similar to that.

Brett85
10-16-2017, 08:40 PM
I have a website that's still a work in progress. I created it on GoDaddy and had never done that before, so some things need to be changed. The bottom two sections actually apply to a business and not a political campaign and need to be removed. A donation page needs to be added. I think I have someone who goes to my church who's going to help me with that. But, I've come up with 13 different issue positions if you guys are interested in reading through it. Here it is.

https://www.brettfairchild.com/

Origanalist
10-16-2017, 08:58 PM
What do you think your chances of being elected are? Reading from your link it sounds like you're pushing the envelope of what today's dumbed down 'Muricans will tolerate. Good for you.

Brett85
10-16-2017, 09:01 PM
What do you think your chances of being elected are? Reading from your link it sounds like you're pushing the envelope of what today's dumbed down 'Muricans will tolerate. Good for you.

I'm not sure. Admittedly, it will be tough because my opponent won his last race 76% to 24%. He's well liked on a personal level. But, the guy who ran the last time didn't start his campaign until June, and I'm going to officially start in January. Also, my opponent voted for the largest tax increase in state history in the last legislative session, so I think that could cause him to lose at least some support.

Origanalist
10-16-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure. Admittedly, it will be tough because my opponent won his last race 76% to 24%. He's well liked on a personal level. But, the guy who ran the last time didn't start his campaign until June, and I'm going to officially start in January. Also, my opponent voted for the largest tax increase in state history in the last legislative session, so I think that could cause him to lose at least some support.

Ouch. Ya, a early start and getting your name, face and message out there big time is the only way to beat that.

We didn't always agree on things but I like what I read from your link. And you being here as long as you have gives me some hope you'll try to stick to it. I would support you.

wizardwatson
10-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Did someone say Kansas? :toady:

invisible
10-16-2017, 10:01 PM

You need to repeatedly hammer them on this, every chance you get! Looks like you've got a decent start on the website.

Brett85
11-04-2017, 08:53 PM
My website is finally completed.

www.brettfairchild.com

Identity
11-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Seek a realistic seat first and foremost. State rep or even something smaller. Then move onto bigger targets once you're more experienced. Learn how the game is played, learn to talk to voters and fellow politicians once in office. That's my best advice to you. Outsiders do come in and take the world by storm but they're usually "in the game" for much of their life (such as Trump being a big donor or Rand Paul being son of a Congressman).