PDA

View Full Version : Afghan soldiers are using boys as sex slaves, and the U.S. is looking the other way

Swordsmyth
07-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Anuj Chopra is the outgoing Kabul bureau chief of Agence France-Presse (AFP). His next posting for AFP will be Riyadh. He tweets at anujChopra.
KABUL – Last summer, an Afghan police commander invited me to his post for tea — and to view his “beautiful” boy sex slave.
I stumbled through a farm of chest-high opium poppy stocks to reach his mud-and-wattle outpost on the outskirts of Tarin Kot, the capital of southern Uruzgan province that is teetering in the face of a Taliban upsurge. On its open roof, a slight teenager sat next to his hulking captor, stealing sad glances at me as he quietly filled our tea glasses. A shock of auburn curls jutted out of his embroidered pillbox hat and his milky eyes were lined with kohl. The commander flaunted him the way a ringmaster exhibits an exotic animal. “See my beautiful bacha (boy slave),” he said, blithe and casual, a gun dangling at his side.
The commander, an ally of the United States in the war against the Taliban, is not an anomaly. Hundreds of such outposts of the Afghan Local Police (ALP), a front-line force armed and funded with U.S. taxpayer dollars, and other pro-government militias are believed to have enslaved young boys (https://correspondent.afp.com/behind-shame-and-silence) for dancing and sexual companionship, many of them kidnapped.
Freedom from the Taliban’s puritanical regime in 2001 also brought freedom to do “bacha bazi,” the cultural practice of sexual slavery and abuse of boys who are often dressed effeminately and whose possession is seen by Afghan strongmen as a marker of power and masculinity.
As the United States sinks deeper into the Afghan quagmire, preparing to send additional troops into a seemingly endless war, it is glossing over this hidden but pervasive abuse of children by its local allies. U.S. tolerance of this egregious inhumanity sends out the message that it is acceptable for U.S.-backed forces to keep child sex slaves.

More at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/07/18/afghan-soldiers-are-using-boys-as-sex-slaves-and-the-u-s-is-looking-the-other-way/

Jamesiv1
07-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Anybody that thinks its wrong to have young boy sex slaves can get the hell out.

Schifference
07-19-2017, 03:09 PM
They should make that illegal.

fisharmor
07-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Yawn.

This has been going on for over a decade.

They actually spent federal money on a Bacha Bazi back when GW was president.

Everybody knows about it.

Nobody cares.

PierzStyx
07-19-2017, 03:16 PM
See, its stuff like this that demonstrates the lack of the Islamic part in "Islamic fundamentalism." Might even explain why some people might prefer the Taliban. They might be tyrants, but they're likely no worse than your local warlord. And the whole not gay raping children must be a plus.

enhanced_deficit
07-19-2017, 11:51 PM
They might be US tax payers funded soldiers but technically those are not our children and their welfare should not be above our nationalistic security interests.
No need to be apologetic over this.

Related

Poll: Should US apologize for financing radicalization of Afghan children in 1980s? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?512003)

Swordsmyth
07-19-2017, 11:58 PM
They might be US tax payers funded soldiers but technically those are not our children and their welfare should not be above our nationalistic security interests.
No need to be apologetic over this.

Related

Poll: Should US apologize for financing radicalization of Afghan children in 1980s? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?512003)

I'm not sure how to take your comment.
We need to leave, we made things worse by going there, I don't know if we made things worse when we helped kick the Soviets out but we may have then.

samforpaul
07-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Very sad indeed. This prompts a question: was this (child rape) practiced under Saddam?

As a sidenote, I'm thankful to whoever years ago led me to the you tubes, "Conspiracy of Silence" and the Ted Gunderson/Paul Bonacci interview.

angelatc
07-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Yawn.

This has been going on for over a decade.

They actually spent federal money on a Bacha Bazi back when GW was president.

Everybody knows about it.

Nobody cares.

That still makes me weep inside. The Demoncrats yammering about Russia, but they ignored this back in the days?

Swordsmyth
07-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Very sad indeed. This prompts a question: was this (child rape) practiced under Saddam?

As a sidenote, I'm thankful to whoever years ago led me to the you tubes, "Conspiracy of Silence" and the Ted Gunderson/Paul Manacci interview.

This is about Afghanistan not Iraq.

Swordsmyth
07-20-2017, 05:30 PM
That still makes me weep inside. The Demoncrats yammering about Russia, but they ignored this back in the days?
They are still ignoring it.

angelatc
07-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Back then they had the House and Senate. They could have jailed people over this.

Swordsmyth
07-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Back then they had the House and Senate. They could have jailed people over this.
Dump and the Repubs have it now, they should be using this to attack them for inaction, it would be better than to never do so.
That said the Repubs are left with out excuse in this as well, Dump looks like he is ignoring it too, he could redeem himself if he does something about it but there is almost no time left before he owns this.