PDA

View Full Version : A new simple idea to promote Ron Paul.

MidnightUT
12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Hello everyone, first post here.

I have been a Ron Paul fanatic since late October when I found him and he cured my apathy. This site is one of many that I read daily as I attempt to assimilate as much information as possible about the good doctor.

Within the last few days I thought of an idea that we can hopefully use to further promote Dr. Paul's message. It is a very simple idea, that in no way competes with what many of you have contributed to the movement, but I feel it is unique and hey it can't hurt. I did a quick search and haven't seen it mentioned, but if it has been apologies.

My idea was to create a Folding@Home team to support Ron Paul. I have gone ahead and done just that:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=96878

For those of you not familiar, information about Folding@Home can be found at:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

I can go into more detail about exactly what Folding@Home is, and how we can join together both to help science and Ron Paul if anyone is interested but not clear on what it is or how to participate. For those wanting to join the team, the team number is 96878.

If I have messed anything up with the created of the team, or if this is a ridiculous idea please feel free to voice your criticism. My goal would be for us to get several thousand computers and PS3s all working together to "Cure Cancer for Ron Paul". This wouldn't directly help or promote Dr. Paul like several of the other projects, but if it gets big enough maybe it'd garner a bit of media attention. We all know how the MSM loves the "gimmicks", and worse case scenario we help out a good cause.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your time, and keep up the good work everyone.

-Mid

MidnightUT
12-10-2007, 11:46 PM
It is probably bad etiquette to reply to one's own thread, however I forgot to mention one of the biggest perks.

This idea is FREE, and a great way for those of us seriously strapped for cash to participate. It will use up a bit more electricity than usual, probably a few dollars at most per month, but hey think of it as a free foot warmer during these cold months :)

-Mid

honkywill
12-10-2007, 11:51 PM
this is cool.

voiceactivated
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I don't get it. What are you suggesting we do and how does this cure cancer?

MidnightUT
12-11-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't get it. What are you suggesting we do and how does this cure cancer?

I've got to call it a night, I'll write up a more in depth explaination tomorrow, and detailed instructions of how to participate.

The short and simplified version is that we all download and install a small program on our computers (it is from Standford and perfectly safe). This program uses our computers when they are idle and we aren't using them anyway to do calculations on how different proteins fold and behave. The results from the work done by all of our computers are sent back to Standford where they analyze the results, and use the findings to further a myriad of scientific research including cures for cancers and various other diseases.

There is a bunch of good information on their FAQ page, please forgive me if my generalization is slightly off. Hope this helps.

jnpg
12-11-2007, 12:12 AM
i might do this- do we have a team paul?

hasan
12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
i know a little bit about the role of proteing misfolding, more specifically on amyloid fibrils, in alzheimers disease. looking forward to your in depth explanation

MidnightUT
12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
i might do this- do we have a team paul?

I swear I really am going to bed :)

I created the team: RonPaul2008
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=96878

I believe I have the ability to change the name if we don't like that one. If you want contribute when setting up the program enter 96878 for the Team Number. It is fairly straight forward, but I'll try to get instructions/screenshots up tomorrow.

Ron Paul Fan
12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Sounds like a trap in order to hack into our computers and personal lives. What do proteins, running a program on your computer, and curing Mad Cow Disease have in common?

MidnightUT
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Sounds like a trap in order to hack into our computers and personal lives. What do proteins, running a program on your computer, and curing Mad Cow Disease have in common?

It is definitely not a trap. I'm sure others will chime in here for the legitimacy of this project. It is ran by Stanford University, and is a fairly well known project. I appreciate your skepticism though, it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Here is more information from the Stanford website for those who can't wait for my writeup:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ#ntoc2

hasan
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM

i have actually heard of this project. it isnt a way of hacking into our computers as far as i know. i can confirm with a source in stanford if you like

Ron Paul Fan
12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Well, if hasan will vouch for the validity of the project then I'm willing to try it when you give us more info tomorrow. If I can cure cancer and help Ron Paul then I'll be twice the man that Tommy Thompson is, if I'm not already.

angrydragon
12-11-2007, 12:30 AM
It's a legit program, no hacking or anything.

fuzzybekool
12-11-2007, 12:30 AM
<-- Skeptic here... sorry to the person with the thread, but i am not giving up my control of my computer.

Computers is what launched this movement.
Sorry , too suspicious for me.

angrydragon
12-11-2007, 12:33 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

krott5333
12-11-2007, 12:35 AM

its not a trap. Folding@Home has been around for a few years, and it is done through a legitimate university. It combines multiple computers to become one giant super computer working toward cures for diseases.

IowaSupport
12-11-2007, 12:41 AM
So far as I know it's no trap. I'm willing to let my PC do a little folding for RP.

Man from La Mancha
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
How does this help Ron Paul?

Energy
12-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I've done folding@home before. This is legit. You're just donating unused CPU cycles from your computer. No hacking. It's done through Stanford University.

How does this help Ron Paul?

The idea is getting his name out there, however small. Ideally on this list: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamstats
But that will require a ton of Ron Paul computers to crack the top 100.

hasan
12-11-2007, 12:47 AM
it might be a good way of proving ron paul's view that people will take the initiative when it comes to education rather than letting the government control it

Libertarian
12-11-2007, 04:50 AM

This is completely legit. There are millions of people running this program on their Sony PS3's...and there are hundreds of groups online (at computer forums, etc) that have contests to see who can dedicate the most most computer power to running this program.

The power generated by "distributed computing" like this puts every supercomputer in the world to shame. Even if the Ron Paul group doesn't grow to hundreds of members, it is still a good idea to run Folding@Home. It is for a great cause, and will help in the effort to find important cures. Send it to everyone you know.

Matthew Zak
12-11-2007, 05:08 AM
This sounds like a fantastic idea. I suggest that skeptics do a little research -- I know I intend to.

If we promote this through the meet up alliance we could easily get 20,000 computers in on this which would make a big difference. Killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I'm sure Dr. Paul would appreciate it, too.

troyd1
12-11-2007, 07:40 AM
I am signed up!

Pete Kay
12-11-2007, 07:44 AM
This is a great idea. Nice way to promote Ron Paul while working for a good cause withouth really having to do anything at all. Everyone should sign up.

MidnightUT
12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
This is a great idea. Nice way to promote Ron Paul while working for a good cause withouth really having to do anything at all. Everyone should sign up.

Ha, I couldn't have said it better myself :)

I appreciate everyone's comments.

I'm working on a more detailed post, might be a bit later in the day before I have time to post it up though.

MidnightUT
12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I started a new thread with a lot more detail. Hopefully it helps.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=51522

Corydoras
12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Who is the target audience?

hugh8jass
12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I've been doing this for years, and even know one of the tekkies at Stanford.

Not a trap, actually one of the most socially responsible things you can do with a computer (it does all the good stuff in the background without bothering you)

Any computer over 1Ghz that isn't running this program is just wasting lots of electricity.

Kudos MidnightUT

It is definitely not a trap. I'm sure others will chime in here for the legitimacy of this project. It is ran by Stanford University, and is a fairly well known project. I appreciate your skepticism though, it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Here is more information from the Stanford website for those who can't wait for my writeup:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ#ntoc2

MidnightUT
12-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Who is the target audience?

The target audience is any Ron Paul supporter with a computer. Literally anyone with a computer can participate.

I created another thread with more information if you're interested.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=51522