PDA

View Full Version : Saddest excuse yet not to vote for Ron Paul

Original_Intent
12-10-2007, 11:36 PM
OK, so a fellow RP supporter and I are discussing the lamestream media's mistreatment of RP such as not doing a "Meet the Press" piece on him etc. And the guy in the next cube says "Ya know, I have come to think that Ron Paul is the best choice. But it is clear the media and so forth are "touting him down" (his words) and because they don't want him to win that means 90% of Americans won't vote for him. So I think it would be better to support Mitt Romney because at least the media will give him a fair shot and he would be better than Giuliani."

I said "So you admit that the media has predetermined who it is OK to vote for and who is unacceptable, and you are going to let that stand?? You are going to grant them that kind of power?"

Him: "Well, they have all the power, I am just one guy, it would be a waste of time supporting someone who they aren't going to let win anyway, I would rather vote for someone who I think is the best option that has a shot."

I kid you not people, he actually believes that the power elite have the power to decide who we get to chose from, AND DOESN'T HAVE MUCH OF A PROBLEM WITH IT! And the sad thing is this is a SMART guy in other things, I would guess IQ in the 140+ range!

I just don;t get it and it also scares me a little - I mean if a reasonably intelligent, well educated 30 something guy can think like this in America...I think this country is going down the crapper and probably belongs there. I mean, people like this don't DESERVE Ron Paul - I am still in dumbfounded amazement.

DealzOnWheelz
12-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Obviously you haven't done your job as a ron paul supporter and shown him the light and how many people really are voting for him. Once you awaken him to the Revolution he will not be able to not vote for rp.

just ask him "Do you think he should win?" When he says "Yes" tell him "thats all that should matter when casting your vote" "you don't know your voice won't be heard if you wear a muzzle"

dirka
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
That is exactly why I think things will turn out bad for Ron Paul. There are just too many spineless people in our country. No one has the guts to stand up to the media. Even though there is nothing to lose in a primary or caucus. I mean, if they try to vote for Ron and he loses, so what, one of the other cookie cutter A-holes will go on.

THIS IS THE TIME TO STAND YOUR GROUND AND TAKE A CHANCE TO HELP RON PAUL.

krott5333
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
send him to www.thecaseforronpaul.com

ionlyknowy
12-10-2007, 11:48 PM
People like to vote for the winner... It is pretty vain really..

For the next four years people will ask this person who they voted for, and everyone wants to say that they voted for the person that WON!

Not some loser that no one knew about...

It makes people feel important to vote for the hyped up winner.

Our goal should be to make the person feel important for voting for Ron Paul.

In reality, this person probably tries to stroke his ego in other ways also. Maybe drives a nice flashy car, or talks about having a lot of money, or women, or whatever. Whatever fills the void in his life.

jenius
12-10-2007, 11:49 PM
It's the illusion of control. He thinks he actually has some influence if he votes for one of the "top tier" candidates, whereas he's afraid that his vote will be wasted if he votes for someone who appears clearly to have no chance.

It's an incredibly common misconception, and lots of people do the exact same thing. I haven't yet figured out how to get people out of this mindset.

The only thing that works is to continue to convince him that NO OTHER candidate is REMOTELY like Ron Paul. As far as I know, the only thing that will work is if he sees Ron Paul the way we do: the only candidate who is actually conservative and actually against big government. Every other Republican has completely abandoned the fight. He might as well vote Democrat if he's not voting for Ron Paul, because there's really no difference among the others other than personality.

therealjjj77
12-10-2007, 11:52 PM
OK, so a fellow RP supporter and I are discussing the lamestream media's mistreatment of RP such as not doing a "Meet the Press" piece on him etc. And the guy in the next cube says "Ya know, I have come to think that Ron Paul is the best choice. But it is clear the media and so forth are "touting him down" (his words) and because they don't want him to win that means 90% of Americans won't vote for him. So I think it would be better to support Mitt Romney because at least the media will give him a fair shot and he would be better than Giuliani."

I said "So you admit that the media has predetermined who it is OK to vote for and who is unacceptable, and you are going to let that stand?? You are going to grant them that kind of power?"

Him: "Well, they have all the power, I am just one guy, it would be a waste of time supporting someone who they aren't going to let win anyway, I would rather vote for someone who I think is the best option that has a shot."

I kid you not people, he actually believes that the power elite have the power to decide who we get to chose from, AND DOESN'T HAVE MUCH OF A PROBLEM WITH IT! And the sad thing is this is a SMART guy in other things, I would guess IQ in the 140+ range!

I just don;t get it and it also scares me a little - I mean if a reasonably intelligent, well educated 30 something guy can think like this in America...I think this country is going down the crapper and probably belongs there. I mean, people like this don't DESERVE Ron Paul - I am still in dumbfounded amazement.

Tell him that despite the media, Ron Paul has won 54% of all the straw polls. And most of them he has won by a very large margin. Ask him if it's possible that the media might be losing their control over us.

VRP08
12-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Sad! Sad! Sad!

bbachtung
12-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I presume that since you're in Utah that your friend is in Utah, too. If that is the case, then tell him that voting for Ron Paul won't hurt Mitt's chances there because Mitt is a shoe-in there (I don't think he is, but most people do). What does he lose by voting for RP in a state that Mitt's expected to win easily?

OferNave
12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
There's a lot of people like that. That's why it's been a massive uphill struggle the whole way, even now. There are 100k of us who have worked our asses off, and will continue to do so. At some point we will tip over. That's kind of the point of the Tea Party.

Get Paul polling in third in a few places (or nationwide), and we'll start swinging people like your buddy.

max
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
It is a fundamental part of human nature to grovel before power. We are a special breed...we are the true elite.

The only thing that will move these sheep is to raise exhorbitant sums of money and win New Hampshire. Even then, the media will spin it in favor of whoever came in 2nd place.

We MUST raise 10 million on 12/16...and we MUST place in Iowa and win New Hampshire. If the Tea Party, the blimp, and a NH victory doesn't convince the fence sitting sheep, then America deserves the horrible fate that awaits it down the road.

damn shame we have to suffer for the cowardice and stupidity of the sheep.

Original_Intent
12-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Tell him that despite the media, Ron Paul has won 54% of all the straw polls. And most of them he has won by a very large margin. Ask him if it's possible that the media might be losing their control over us.

That's a good point.

I just cannot believe that anyone would cower before the media and ADMIT they would prefer to vote for someone else but "the media" is going to stop him from winning so what is the point? I am just floored I cannot conceive how a human being could BELIEVE that and ACCEPT that "Oh well, that's the way it is."

I mean, how would it be to live your whole life saying that you will accept whatever crumbs fall off the elite's table? Sad!

fuzzybekool
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
The only way I feel to break the chains the MSM and other powers have on us is to demonstrate. Martin Luther King Jr. faced far worse obstacles than us and was able to lead a movement through use of non-violence and massive demonstrations and boycotts.

I know it's easy to talk about it here, but damn, if we were to launch a massive demonstration of 100,000 Ron Paul people marching on CNN or NBC or the White House. I know that would get my attention if I was that office worker and show me that there is real strength to this movement.

fcofer
12-11-2007, 12:46 AM
People who make the "I don't want to waste my vote" argument do so because they are mathematically ignorant.

If your friend has an IQ of 140+, then he should be able to quickly do some basic combinatorics to prove to himself that under practically no situations is he actually going to "waste" his vote.

Suppose that there were only 10,000 total voters, plus you, in an election between two candidates. And further suppose that everyone else but you chose their vote completely at random (to maximize the chance that your "sophisticated" vote would change the election). Obviously, your vote would only "influence" the election if it came down to a 5,000 to 5,000 split. What are the odds of this?

1 / ( 10,000 choose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose) 2 ) = 1 / 49,995,000.

You've got better odds of winning the lottery. You might as well vote your conscience.

LBT
12-11-2007, 12:49 AM
This is why New Hampshire is so important.

A win or 2nd place there will change the perception of a lot of people.

RedLightning
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
People like to vote for the winner... It is pretty vain really..

I want to vote for the winner too, Ron Paul.

Paulitician
12-11-2007, 01:09 AM
“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere” —Voltaire

It is the sad truth :(

amonasro
12-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Intelligence doesn't equal courage.

mavtek
12-11-2007, 01:21 AM
I've heard this one before, move on, get others. We will prove him wrong on the 16th and then again with the votes.

Cap'n Crunk
12-11-2007, 01:35 AM
This is why New Hampshire is so important.

A win or 2nd place there will change the perception of a lot of people.

agreed this is why we just have to convert as many people in the early primaries and get them out to vote. Once people see that he actually has real support, they will consider voting for him. so let's have a good showing in Iowa and New Hampshire and after that converting people should become a lot easier.

noztnac
12-11-2007, 01:50 AM

Unfortunately there are many people out there just like him. Tell him that on election day that rather than spend money on gas driving to vote he should drive to the ice-cream store. Then he can buy ice-cream with the money he saves by not buying gas. If he votes he will get nothing and will have wasted his money.