PDA

View Full Version : Obama Supports Homegrown Terrorism Bill

Give me liberty
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
http://www.indypendent.org/2007/12/10/obama-supports-homegrown-terrorism-bill/

Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama says that he will support the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act (S. 1959). According to the automatic email responses constituents are receiving from his office, Obama appears to be straddling the fence between preserving civil liberties and being tough on terrorism.

“The American people understand that new threats require flexible responses to keep them safe. They also insist that our responses to threats respect the constitution and do not violate the basic tenets of our democracy,” Obama’s email said. Several people who have written to Obama have posted his response on various blogs, including “Justin” who’s personal blog was picked up on diggs.com.

“I wrote Senator Obama (my senator from Illinois) about this act, which is now in a committee of his (the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs). I asked that he read the bill (not to insult his intelligence, but after the Patriot Act it appears this is a necessary request for most senators), and that he recognize the dire consequences that could result from its vague language,” Justin wrote Dec. 6 below the post of Obama’s email. “He’s quite eloquent, you’ve got to give him that. This act ‘includes provisions prohibiting the Department of Homeland Security’s efforts from violating civil rights and civil liberties of U.S. citizens.’ Didn’t we used to have something like that? What was it called? Oh right… The Constitution.”

The House version of the bill, H.R. 1955, passed Oct. 23 by a vote of 404-6 under the “suspension of the rules,” a provision that is available to quickly pass bills considered “non-controversial.”

Obama is on the 17-member Senate Committee for Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, where S. 1959 was introduced by Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) Aug. 2. “I will keep your important comments in mind as I work with my colleagues on the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs. I will work to ensure that this legislation helps to achieve our domestic security objectives while protecting civil liberties and constitutional rights,” Obama stated in his email to Justin.

Many scholars, historians and civil liberties experts say they fear that the proposed bill will set the stage for future criminal legislation that be used against U.S.-based groups engaged in legal but unpopular political activism, ranging from political Islamists to animal-rights and environmental campaigners to radical right-wing organizations.

“This bill fits the pattern we are seeing coming out of Congress – both Republican and Democratic – of a continued campaign of fear, which gets into heads of Americans that we now need to start criminalizing ideology,” said Alejandro Queral, executive director of the Northwest Constitutional Rights Center. He said he is very concerned about the bill’s vague definitions of “violent radicalization,” “homegrown terrorism,” and the terms within the definitions including “extremist belief system,” “violence” and “force.”

----
well so much for Oprah & Obama lovefest
when will Oprah ever wake up?

so guys what do you think what will happen if obama wins? well i hope not.

Pharoah
12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
so he supports thought crime and he supports the draft - I've lost respect for him.

hillertexas
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Subject: Message from Senator Barack Obama
To:
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:34:14 -0500

Dear Thera:

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts regarding the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, this legislation would amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to add provisions concerning the prevention of homegrown terrorism. While the American people understand that new threats require flexible responses to keep them safe, it is important that these responses do not violate some of the most basic tenets of our democracy. The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act includes specific provisions prohibiting the Department of Homeland Security's efforts from violating civil rights and civil liberties of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.

As you mention, this legislation passed the House on October 23, 2007. It is currently being considered by the Senate panel on Homeland Security, of which I am a member. I will keep your comments in mind as I work with my colleagues on this panel, and I will work to ensure that this legislation finds an appropriate balance between civil liberties and security.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yea right.....very vague provisions...and very vague definitions of homegrown terrorism. He definitely supports this bill.

dantheman
12-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Did Ron Paul vote on this?

BuddyRey
12-11-2007, 11:03 AM
We have to get this news to EVERY DEMOCRAT, LIBERAL, AND PROGRESSIVE IN THE COUNTRY!!!

We have to show them that the Dems, by and large, are just as corrupt and averse to the tenets of individual freedom in this country as the Republicans are.