PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Raises the Smoking Age

DamianTV
07-09-2017, 01:42 PM
https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/07/08/0656252/oregon-raises-the-smoking-age

Some 95 percent of lifetime smokers pick up the habit before their 21st birthday, so Oregon lawmakers yesterday passed a law making it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to purchase cigarettes in the hopes of nipping the bad habit in the bud. "By the age of 25, this addiction is cemented in the brain and it becomes very difficult -- almost impossible -- to quit," State Rep. Greg Smith, R-Heppner, told KGW. Oregon is not the first state to do this, and it probably won't be the last. No one under 21 can (lawfully) buy cigarettes in Hawaii, California, Washington, D.C., and Guam to date. It also passed in New Jersey, but noted beachcomber Gov. Chris Christie vetoed the bill -- although it could still become law there. According to the American Cancer Society, at least 250 localities across the country have passed similar local ordinances.

I have a feeling it wont be long until somebody somewhere proposes the NEW and IMPROVED drinking / smoking age be raised until 25. It wont stop anyone from drinking or smoking, but it will sure as hell appeal to the busy bodies who want to stick their noses in everyone elses business. Oh, and it will just create a whole new class of scofflaws - The AGE Criminals. Illegal if you were born on or before X date - Y timeframe.

timosman
07-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Is scratching balls still legal in this country?:rolleyes:

DamianTV
07-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Is scratching balls still legal in this country?:rolleyes:

There are two things that used to be said very frequently in this country that just arent said at all anymore:

- This is a FREE Country
- There should be a LAW against that

Guess who won?

timosman
07-09-2017, 02:03 PM
There are two things that used to be said very frequently in this country that just arent said at all anymore:

- This is a FREE Country
- There should be a LAW against that

Guess who won?

The FREE country people did not have a strategy. Just look who is in congress busily voting for new laws.;)

heavenlyboy34
07-09-2017, 02:14 PM
So when are they going to up the age for entering the military? If you can legally get sent to be blown up in the 'Stan ya oughtta be able to buy a pack of smokes, methinks.

Dangergirl
07-09-2017, 09:55 PM
My neighbors pointed something out the other day about freedom. You can't have a pool in your yard...unless you have a permit. You can't smoke in a bar...unless you have a permit. You can't build a deck to your house...unless you have a permit. So I sat and I thought, geez we really aren't free here. A guy down the street built a house to rent with a tool shed. He had to remove the shed because he was told he'd have to pay extra in taxes to have it. So raising the smoking age is about revenue because no matter how much they raise the price of cigs, I still see H.S kids smoking in the streets after school.

Zippyjuan
07-10-2017, 12:05 PM
http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/744d3maa3uqlxcitxabzxw.gif

euphemia
07-10-2017, 12:16 PM
I have a feeling it wont be long until somebody somewhere proposes the NEW and IMPROVED drinking / smoking age be raised until 25.

Actually professionals have been talking about doing exactly this for at least 25 years. It's maybe something that should not be considered a rite of passage. Young and stoned is not a good combination. Old and stoned isn't pretty, either, but at least an adult is legally responsible for his own mess.

Suzanimal
07-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Actually professionals have been talking about doing exactly this for at least 25 years. It's maybe something that should not be considered a rite of passage. Young and stoned is not a good combination. Old and stoned isn't pretty, either, but at least an adult is legally responsible for his own mess.

Eighteen is considered an adult and I think it's the legal age to buy cigarettes in most states.

oyarde
07-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Eighteen is considered an adult and I think it's the legal age to buy cigarettes in most states.

I was paying income tax at 15 and in the Army at 17 . I say if you pay income tax you should be able to vote . Once you see how the choices are you may need a drink and a smoke too.