PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Interventionist Voters Elected Trump

Peace Piper
07-06-2017, 10:39 PM
http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150401134612-donald-trump-gallery-3-super-169.jpg

Anti-Interventionist Voters Elected Trump

How did Donald Trump defy all the pollsters, the pundits, and the Twitterverse “experts” and take the White House? According to the Democrats, it was all a Russian plot – Kremlin-directed Twitter “bots” spread “misinformation” and “fake news,” Russian hackers stole the DNC’s emails, and this deprived Hillary Clinton of her rightful place as President of these United States. If we listen to the Bernie Sanders wing of the party, it was all because their man Bernie failed to win the nomination due to corporate influence and the flawed election strategy of the Clinton campaign. And the Republicans tell us it was because – well, they don’t have any coherent theory, but, hey, they’ll take it regardless of why or how it happened.

What hasn’t emerged from the shock and horror of the elites, however, is a reasonably convincing explanation for the Trump victory: the storied “deplorables,” as Mrs. Clinton described them, rose up in rebellion against the coastal elites and delivered them a blow from which they are still reeling. Disdained, forgotten, and left behind, these rural not-college-educated near-the-poverty-line voters, who had traditionally voted Democratic, deserted the party – but why?

No real explanation has been forthcoming. Hillary tells us it was due, in part, to “sexism,” and the rest was a dark conspiracy by Vladimir Putin and James Comey. More objective observers attribute the switch to the relentless emphasis by the Democrats on identity politics, which seems convincing until one examines the actual statistics down to the county level in those key states – Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania – that gave the party of Trump the keys to the White House.

Francis Shen, a professor of law at the University of Minnesota, and Douglas Kriner, who teaches political science at Boston University, have done just that, and their conclusion is stunning – and vitally important to those of us who want to understand what the current relation of political forces means for the anti-interventionist movement. They write:

“With so much post-election analysis, it is surprising that no one has pointed to the possibility that inequalities in wartime sacrifice might have tipped the election. Put simply: perhaps the small slice of America that is fighting and dying for the nation’s security is tired of its political leaders ignoring this disproportionate burden. To investigate this possibility, we conducted an analysis of the 2016 Presidential election returns. In previous research, we’ve shown that communities with higher casualty rates are also communities from more rural, less wealthy, and less educated parts of the country. In both 2004 and 2006, voters in these communities became more likely to vote against politicians perceived as orchestrating the conflicts in which their friends and neighbors died.

“The data analysis presented in this working paper finds that in the 2016 election Trump spoke to this part of America. Even controlling in a statistical model for many other alternative explanations, we find that there is a significant and meaningful relationship between a community’s rate of military sacrifice and its support for Trump. Indeed, our results suggest that if three states key to Trump’s victory – Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin – had suffered even a modestly lower casualty rate, all three could have flipped from red to blue and sent Hillary Clinton to the White House.”

While the Trump campaign’s foreign policy pronouncements often veered into bombastic belligerence – “We’re going to bomb the hell out of ISIS!” – the candidate also ventured into territory previously alien to GOP presidential nominees. He denounced the Iraq war – “They lied. There were no weapons of mass destruction and they knew there were none” – and forswore the “regime change” foreign policy that produced the bloody disasters in Libya and Syria well as Iraq. His “America First” theme evoked the “isolationist” sentiment that is anathema to the Washington elites – and is the default position of the average American. And yet he did not take the reflexively anti-military position so beloved by peaceniks of the left: he praised our veterans at every opportunity and railed against their neglect by a government that used and abused them.

In an election that gave Trump a razor-thin victory in three key states, this is what gave him the margin of victory.

Snip

His cluelessness will prove his ultimate downfall. Surrounded by warhawks in the foreign policy realm, and reveling in the accolades his outbursts of aggression have won him in the media, he doesn’t understand the key role his anti-interventionist rhetoric played in propelling him to victory. The people around him, for the most part, have assiduously ignored – or sought to neutralize – that aspect of the 2016 campaign, and are unlikely to bring the Shen-Kriner analysis of the election to his attention. The “keen electoral instincts” those two analysts think Trump possesses are, in my view, a simplistic faith in his own charisma and a semi-mystical belief in his destiny as the savior of a country in decline. Facts, evidence, analysis, hard intelligence – none of it means a damned thing to a man who operates by instinct. And that instinct is ruled by range-of-the-moment considerations: the opinions of his daughter, the opinions of the pundits, and what he sees on television.

Personal character matters – and it is a life-and-death matter in a President. That Trump is lacking in the character department has been made all too obvious in the first months of his presidency. A commander-in-chief ruled by his “gut feelings” is a danger, in any case: in Trump’s case, it could well prove catastrophic...snip

full article: http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2017/07/04/anti-interventionist-voters-elected-trump/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2OfoOKzKM

surf
07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
i'm not certain how someone saying "we will bomb the shit out of them" was seen as anti-interventionist.

oh well, Trumpers gonna Trump

dean.engelhardt
07-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Excellent article.

euphemia
07-07-2017, 12:38 PM
What was the other choice? Just asking, because the only anti-interventionist running was Darryl Castle.

dannno
07-07-2017, 12:46 PM
i'm not certain how someone saying "we will bomb the shit out of them" was seen as anti-interventionist.

oh well, Trumpers gonna Trump

What was the other choice? Just asking, because the only anti-interventionist running was Darryl Castle.

When you are anti-interventionist against most of the interventions occurring like Trump was, as opposed to being for all of the interventions like his opponent was, then you are going to pick up some non-interventionist folks.

I mean, there are always going to be the purists who are like, "well Trump said this or that one time and talked a strong game, he isn't pure enough for me". But when most people who are anti-interventionist see someone who is clearly less interventionist than their opponent, they see that as a good thing in relative terms.

Zippyjuan
07-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Let's see. Bombed Yemen, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq. Threatens Iraq and North Korea. Wants more troops for Syra, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Wants more sanctions on Cuba and Iran. Yep- definitely not an interventionist!

enhanced_deficit
07-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Yes the mix of supporters behind him included anti-interventionist as well as pissed off former interventionist supporters who felt they had been tricked in the past.

During campaign , on same areas Trump faced almost similar but restrained attacks as were used against Ron Paul's "isolationist" foreign policy view earier.. but this time voters had seen much more evidence of failures.

Related

ADL asks Trump to drop "isolationist" and "anti-semitic" America First slogan, Trump declines

Source: Do you consider 'America First' slogan appropriate for American political candidates? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?494703-Do-you-consider-America-First-slogan-appropriate-for-American-political-candidates&)

Origanalist
07-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Wasn't there just a poll showing 65 % of Trump supporters would be OK with him attacking North Korea?

It seems to me that there is a large group of people who will support him no matter what he does. Cult of personality.

dannno
07-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Wasn't there just a poll showing 65 % of Trump supporters would be OK with him attacking North Korea?

Let's at least get it right - ALLEGEDLY, 65% of those who responded to the poll who were Trump supporters would support Trump attacking North Korea if he decided to do so. That doesn't mean they think he should actually do it, it just means they trust that if he decides to do it that in that case they would support it. It means they trust his judgment.

phill4paul
07-07-2017, 02:57 PM
When you are anti-interventionist against most of the interventions occurring like Trump was, as opposed to being for all of the interventions like his opponent was, then you are going to pick up some non-interventionist folks.

I mean, there are always going to be the purists who are like, "well Trump said this or that one time and talked a strong game, he isn't pure enough for me". But when most people who are anti-interventionist see someone who is clearly less interventionist than their opponent, they see that as a good thing in relative terms.

Lol. "less-interventonst." :rolleyes:

dannno
07-07-2017, 03:15 PM

McMaster wanted hundreds of thousands of troops in Syria, Trump stopped that from happening. Trump has been holding back the neocons pretty well, I'd give him a C+ so far, and I expect his grade to go up in the future.

angelatc
07-07-2017, 03:18 PM
They elected Bush too.

phill4paul
07-07-2017, 03:21 PM
McMaster wanted hundreds of thousands of troops in Syria, Trump stopped that from happening. Trump has been holding back the neocons pretty well, I'd give him a C+ so far, and I expect his grade to go up in the future.

Hundreds of thousands of troops would not have gone to Syria. War sentiment is not at a fever pitch anymore. It would have taken a major false flag. Not even the made up gassing of Syrians by Assad would have brought about the sentiment to throw hundreds of thousands of troops into Syria. Not even Hillary could have pulled it off.
But, the continued use of missiles and drones keeps the MIC funded. For the time being.

dannno
07-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Hundreds of thousands of troops would not have gone to Syria. War sentiment is not at a fever pitch anymore. It would have taken a major false flag. Not even the made up gassing of Syrians by Assad would have brought about the sentiment to throw hundreds of thousands of troops into Syria. Not even Hillary could have pulled it off.
But, the continued use of missiles and drones keeps the MIC funded. For the time being.

McMaster wanted hundreds of thousands of ground troops in Syria back in April, Trump stopped that from happening. You can thank him later.

phill4paul
07-07-2017, 03:37 PM
McMaster wanted hundreds of thousands of ground troops in Syria back in April, Trump stopped that from happening. You can thank him later.

McMaster would not have gotten it. I know you choose to believe he would and that Trump stopped him. It's the narrative they want you to believe. But, I'm telling you right now not even Hillary could not have sent hundreds of thousands of troops to Syria without major repercussions. One of those being that Congress would have been forced to bring back the declaration of wars under their authority as was intended. And Congress really doesn't want that. The black Messiah couldn't even have pulled that off without a major false flag. And if there had been a major false flag even Trump couldn't have prevented it.

Brian4Liberty
07-07-2017, 04:13 PM
His cluelessness will prove his ultimate downfall. Surrounded by warhawks in the foreign policy realm, and reveling in the accolades his outbursts of aggression have won him in the media, he doesn’t understand the key role his anti-interventionist rhetoric played in propelling him to victory.

Very true. If he seeks the praise of the MIC and neoconservative media, it will go very badly.

Origanalist
07-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Let's at least get it right - ALLEGEDLY, 65% of those who responded to the poll who were Trump supporters would support Trump attacking North Korea if he decided to do so. That doesn't mean they think he should actually do it, it just means they trust that if he decides to do it that in that case they would support it. It means they trust his judgment.

Not much difference there dannno, you're picking at nits. They would also trust his judgement if he nuked Moscow or grabbed their mom by the pussy.

kcchiefs6465
07-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Let's see. Bombed Yemen, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq. Threatens Iraq and North Korea. Wants more troops for Syra, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Wants more sanctions on Cuba and Iran. Yep- definitely not an interventionist!
Obama?

CaptUSA
07-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Well, damn... I wonder where this Zippy was when Obama was bombing Yemen, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, threatened NK and Iraq, called for military action in Syria, continued it in Iraq and Afghanistan, and further sanctioned Iran (I'll give ya Cuba).

Welcome back!

UWDude
07-07-2017, 08:31 PM
They elected Obama as well. Bush's wars is what galvanized the left.

Ender
07-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Well, damn... I wonder where this Zippy was when Obama was bombing Yemen, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, threatened NK and Iraq, called for military action in Syria, continued it in Iraq and Afghanistan, and further sanctioned Iran (I'll give ya Cuba).

Welcome back!

You gotta admit that O did do a decent deal w/Iran before he left office. Trump hates Iran.

Swordsmyth
07-07-2017, 09:24 PM
You gotta admit that O did do a decent deal w/Iran before he left office. Trump hates Iran.

He only made that deal so Hitlery could say they broke it, they were already spinning that storyline before the election.

Ender
07-07-2017, 10:53 PM
He only made that deal so Hitlery could say they broke it, they were already spinning that storyline before the election.

Not my POV:

A new report by the International Atomic Energy Agency revealed that Iran is in violation of last summer's nuclear deal. According to the report, the regime in Tehran has again exceeded the deal's threshold for heavy water, marking the second such violation since the implementation of the agreement in January. The Obama administration, however, has not called Iran's possession of excess nuclear-related material a "formal violation" of the deal, and has praised Iran for "acknowledging" it exceeded that threshold.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/iran-breaks-nuclear-deal-but-the-obama-administration-wont-say-its-a-formal-violation/article/2005321

Swordsmyth
07-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Not my POV:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/iran-breaks-nuclear-deal-but-the-obama-administration-wont-say-its-a-formal-violation/article/2005321

He made the deal so he HAD to defend it, but his NeoCon and NeoLib allies were starting the storyline, Hitlery was going to finish it and be "Justified" in attacking them after "we made them a deal and they went back on it".

TheCount
07-08-2017, 12:18 AM

This whole 'trump appointed a guy that thought we should do a thing, but then only allowed him to only half of the thing, YOU'RE WELCOME' concept is just incredibly stupid.

Also, are you somehow assuming that McMaster would have been Hillary's adviser too?

Zippyjuan
07-08-2017, 11:32 AM

Here is what McMaster actually said about troops in Syria in April:

President Donald Trump’s national security adviser is expressing doubt the U.S. will send more ground troops to Syria. His comments come as rebel forces appear close to launching an assault to capture the Islamic State group’s de facto capital of Raqqa.

H.R. McMaster spoke to ABC’s “This Week” from Afghanistan. He says it “remains to be seen” whether additional troops are needed, but he doesn’t “think so.” McMaster says the U.S. will support its “partner forces” in Syria.

It was a retired General Jack Keane who suggested ten thousand troops for Syria. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-13/trump-said-no-to-troops-in-syria-his-aides-aren-t-so-sure Cernovich mis-reported it.

Keane, who said he was not speaking for McMaster, told me he favored a plan to begin a military operation along the Euphrates River Valley. "A better option is to start the operation in the southeast along the Euphrates River Valley, establish a U.S. base of operations, work with our Sunni Arab coalition partners, who have made repeated offers to help us against the regime and also ISIS. We have turned those down during the Obama administration." Keane added that U.S. conventional forces would be the anchor of that initial push, which he said would most likely require around 10,000 U.S. conventional forces, with an expectation that Arab allies in the region would provide more troops to the U.S.-led effort.

"The president wants to defeat ISIS, he wants to win, what he needs is a U.S.-led conventional coalition ground force that can take Raqqa and clean out the Euphrates River Valley of ISIS all the way to the Iraq border," Keane said. "Handwringing about U.S. ground troops in Syria was a fetish of the Obama administration. Time to look honestly at a winning military strategy."

White House and administration officials familiar with the current debate tell me there is no consensus on how many troops to send to Syria and Iraq. Two sources told me one plan would envision sending up to 50,000 troops. Blogger and conspiracy theorist Mike Cernovich wrote on April 9 that McMaster wanted 150,000 ground troops for Syria, but U.S. officials I spoke with said that number was wildly inflated and no such plan has been under consideration.

euphemia
07-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Who did you vote for? Johnson and Clinton were not anti-interventionists. Castle was.