PDA

View Full Version : Seattle 'Secure scheduling' ordinance

nobody's_hero
07-03-2017, 09:33 AM
I think Seattle is trying to become Detroit.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/seattles-secure-scheduling-rewrites-work-rules-at-stores-restaurants/

The law applies to large retailers and quick-serve food and drink establishments with 500 or more workers, and to full-service restaurants with both 500-plus employees and 40 or more locations.

Employers including Starbucks, Safeway, QFC, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Costco, REI, Red Robin, IHOP, McDonald’s, Subway, and Denny’s are examples of companies that would be covered, according to city staffers.

Of Ivar’s current 1,400 employees statewide, about 250 fall under the law — those who work at Ivar’s five seafood bars, four Kidd Valleys and its locations in three sports stadiums in Seattle. Ivar’s full-service restaurants are exempt.

Employers would be required to give good-faith estimates of hours an employee can expect to work; post work schedules 14 days in advance; provide at least 10 hours rest between opening and closing shifts or pay extra if the rest time is shorter; offer available hours to existing employees before hiring new workers; and pay additional “premium pay” when employers make changes to the posted schedule.

Very foolish for them to do this on the heels of a minimum wage hike that employers are already struggling to try to adjust to. Now, while they are trying to figure out who even gets to work, they must be sure they let them know 2 weeks in advance or face penalties. Sounds like it would be a great time to own a business just on the free side of the city limits.

tod evans
07-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Real-estate prices are going down soon.

osan
07-03-2017, 12:38 PM
I didn't much care for the people of Seattle when i lived there, but now they have augmented their already repugnant qualities with ignorance and stupidity to rival that of San Francisco.

ETA: How do hey figure the auhoriy to issue such fiat?

Keith and stuff
07-03-2017, 12:52 PM
This will also punish employees as they will have to plan vacations and off days even further out in the future. If an employee wins a radio contest for free concert tickets, they are now more likely to call in sick, though placing additional burden on their employer and co-workers. So this hurts everyone :(