PDA

View Full Version : 90 Cities Install A Covert Tech That Listens For Gunshots

Matt Collins
06-25-2017, 11:20 PM
In more than 90 cities across the US, including New York, microphones placed strategically around high-crime areas pick up the sounds of gunfire (http://www.businessinsider.com/how-shotspotter-works-microphones-detecting-gunshots-2017-6) and alert police to the shooting's location via dots on a city map... ShotSpotter also sends alerts to apps on cops' phones. "We've gone to the dot and found the casings 11 feet from where the dot was, according to the GPS coordinates," Capt. David Salazar of the Milwaukee Police Dept. told Business Insider. "So it's incredibly helpful. We've saved a lot of people's lives."

When three microphones pick up a gunshot, ShotSpotter figures out where the sound comes from. Human analysts in the Newark, California, headquarters confirm the noise came from a gun (not a firecracker or some other source). The police can then locate the gunshot on a map and investigate the scene. The whole process happens "much faster" than dialing 911, Salazar said, though he wouldn't disclose the exact time.

The company's CEO argues their technology deters crime by demonstrating to bad neighborhoods that police will respond quickly to gunshots. (Although last year Forbes discovered that in 30% to 70% of cases, "police found no evidence of a gunshot when they arrived.") And in a neighborhood where ShotSpotter is installed, one 60-year-old man is already complaining, "I don't like Big Brother being in all my business."

SOURCE:

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/06/25/1658213/90-cities-install-a-covert-technology-that-listens-for-gunshots?utm_source=feedburnerFaceBook&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29&utm_content=FaceBook

oyarde
06-25-2017, 11:43 PM
My flaming arrows are silent .

Swordsmyth
06-25-2017, 11:51 PM
So all a crook has to do is get his buddy to fire into the air at one end of town and hide, then pull a job at the other end of town.