PDA

View Full Version : Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food

Suzanimal
06-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Oh, geez...why on earth would this even be illegal in the first place?

SALEM, Ore. (AP) A bill recently signed into law in Oregon allows drivers who crash into deer and elk on the road to harvest the animals' meat for food.

It's not as rare as you might think.

About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles. And advocates say roadkill can be high-quality, grass-fed grub.

Washington state began allowing the salvaging of deer and elk carcasses a year ago.

In Pennsylvania, people can take deer or turkeys that are killed on the road if they report the incidents to the state Game Commission within 24 hours.

In Oregon, Gov. Kate Brown signed the roadkill measure with little fanfare last week after lawmakers passed it without a single "nay" vote.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-joins-states-where-roadkill-harvested-food-232611099.html

oyarde
06-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Minnesota passed a law in 1987 that permits deer to be salvaged . They do not need permits for possum , raccoon and skunk . These are used to make barbarian spam which is eaten before activities like ice fishing , hockey etc .

William Tell
06-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Awesome. More freedom than we have here on that issue.:( Aw well, maybe we can legalize next session.

It's so stupid that some states make you a criminal for not letting millions of pounds of good meat rot.

Origanalist
06-24-2017, 03:54 PM
About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles.

How very gracious of them.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-24-2017, 09:23 PM
do you mean we are allowed to eat food now? yay

Suzanimal
06-24-2017, 09:34 PM
I was curious because my uncle picks up roadkill deer fairly regularly. I never occurred to that it would be illegal.

If you're curious about your state, you can click here (http://www.thegreenwolf.com/u-s-state-laws/).

Restrictions on importing cervid parts; it is illegal to sell the hide of any domestic dog or cat caught in a trap; it is illegal to sell or transfer parts of any crocodilian species considered endangered by the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service; an agent-trapper permit or farm license is required to sell alligator parts.

Georgia DNR Wildlife Resources Division; hunting regulations, including information on importing cervids; trapping regulations including information on alligators; trapping license info; the Georgia “Road Kill Bill”; regulations on export of wildlife, to include for scientific purposes

Roadkilled native species may be legally collected, though you must notify the state about roadkilled black bears; wildlife parts collected for scientific purposes require a permit.

http://www.thegreenwolf.com/u-s-state-laws/

Occam's Banana
06-25-2017, 09:33 AM
About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles.

I detect a degree of sarcasm in your remark. Silly person ...

Without the government, who would allow people to take meat from animals killed by vehicles?

Origanalist
06-25-2017, 10:13 AM
I detect a degree of sarcasm in your remark. Silly person ...

Without the government, who would allow people to take meat from animals killed by vehicles?

Thank you for not assuming my gender. That's right, without government you would have people picking up dead animals willie nillie. And you can't have that, it would be anarchy.

RJB
06-25-2017, 10:17 AM

I was going to say generous. Gracious implies permission. Here they are "giving" something us eat from their bounty.

Suzanimal
06-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Roadkilled native species may be legally collected, though you must notify the state about roadkilled black bears; wildlife parts collected for scientific purposes require a permit.

If you're going to eat them it's cool but if you're going to experiment on them you need a permit?:confused: WTF?

Occam's Banana
06-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Thank you for not assuming my gender.

You're welcome. I would never be so borrishly crass as to do such an offensive thing ...

That's right, without government you would have people picking up dead animals willie nillie. And you can't have that, it would be anarchy.

The really important thing is that there needs to be a State-issued Rule.

It doesn't really matter what the Rule is - for example, you could be allowed to take roadkill, or not - just as long as there is a Rule of some kind and the State issues it.

Otherwise, it would indeed be anarchy ...

Occam's Banana
06-25-2017, 10:50 AM
If you're going to eat them it's cool but if you're going to experiment on them you need a permit?:confused: WTF?

See my previous reply to Origanalist.

The more Rules and sub-Rules the State give us, the better we can stave off the paralyzing confusion of anarchy.

I, for one, will sleep much better knowing that there is a Rule governing whether and how people may experiment upon roadkill ...

https://i.imgur.com/HePuHIi.jpg

Origanalist
06-25-2017, 10:52 AM
You're welcome. I would never be so borrishly crass as to do such an offensive thing ...

The really important thing is that there needs to be a State-issued Rule.

It doesn't really matter what the Rule is - for example, you could be allowed to take roadkill, or not - just as long as there is a Rule of some kind and the State issues it.

Otherwise, it would indeed be anarchy ...

Yes, this is very important. It doesn't really matter what the law is, as long as there is a law. People can't self regulate you know. We would all be dead in a week.

DGambler
06-25-2017, 11:15 AM
I'd really like to get one of these people that come up with these helpful laws alone so that I could better understand their thought process... It's is wholly alien to me, I would like to experiment.

Suzanimal
06-25-2017, 11:20 AM
See my previous reply to Origanalist.

The more Rules and sub-Rules the State give us, the better we can stave off the paralyzing confusion of anarchy.

I, for one, will sleep much better knowing that there is a Rule governing whether and how people may experiment upon roadkill ...

https://i.imgur.com/HePuHIi.jpg

Muh experiments. :mad::(

Suzanimal
06-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I'd really like to get one of these people that come up with these helpful laws alone so that I could better understand their thought process... It's is wholly alien to me, I would like to experiment.

You better get a permit.

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Oh, geez...why on earth would this even be illegal in the first place?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-joins-states-where-roadkill-harvested-food-232611099.html

My guess would be that they control hunting with licenses, permits and tags, and they don't want "roadkill" used as a way to get around that. "It stepped right out in front of us. The bullet hole is just a coincidence."

Seems like there used to be a problem with old roadkill being used for rendering and being sold for human consumption.

Brian4Liberty
06-25-2017, 11:30 AM

What about if you want to smear them on your face and lips?

Road Kill (tallow), 13 Gross Ingredients Hidden in Your Beauty Products - (Page 11)

Road Kill (tallow) According to Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database, the process of rendering animal fat consists of boiling animal carcasses in a pot to create fatty byproducts. The decaying animals used come from every source imaginable: lab animals, deadstock (animals that die before they reach the slaughterhouse), euthanized zoo and shelter animals, expired meat from grocery stores and -- wait for it -- road kill. The majority of this fat is used as a skin-conditioning agent and an emollient in cosmetics like lipstick, eyeshadow and soap.

Suzanimal
06-25-2017, 11:37 AM
What about if you want to smear them on your face and lips?

I've eaten it so why not smear it on my face? Urine is also in some cosmetics.

Not the worst thing I've had on my face.

Suzanimal
06-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Man Dragging Roadkill Shot by Dog-Lover: Sheriff

(Newser) – Authorities say an altercation over a dead raccoon led to a shooting in rural Washington state, the AP reports. Mason County Sheriff's Lt. Travis Adams tells KOMO a man was walking along a highway Sunday dragging the roadkill behind him with a rope. The animal had been hit by a car, and he wanted to use it as crab bait. Adams says two vehicles stopped, and people confronted the man because they thought he was dragging a dead dog. One person who had been in a pickup truck shot the man twice in the leg. Both vehicles then sped off. Deputies have contacted people in the other vehicle, and authorities say they're cooperating. No arrests have been made. The man is expected to recover.

http://www.newser.com/story/244924/sheriff-altercation-over-dead-raccoon-prompted-shooting.html

Leaning Libertarian
06-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Awesome. More freedom than we have here on that issue.:( Aw well, maybe we can legalize next session.

It's so stupid that some states make you a criminal for not letting millions of pounds of good meat rot.

You can't eat it, but zoophilia being legal in your state, you could always claim it as your lover...

Danke
06-29-2017, 12:59 PM
I've eaten it so why not smear it on my face? Urine is also in some cosmetics. Not the worst thing I've had on my face.http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Crowd.png

oyarde
06-29-2017, 05:34 PM
http://www.newser.com/story/244924/sheriff-altercation-over-dead-raccoon-prompted-shooting.html

When I lived there I always used fish in my crab traps . That meat must have been pretty ripe if he was rope dragging it .

Dr.3D
06-29-2017, 06:04 PM
So does this mean, if you find a dead Bald Eagle on the side of the road, you can harvest it for food?

Seems to conflict with other laws I've heard about.

Seems like collecting the feathers of a dead bird, shouldn't be against any law as long as you didn't cause the death of the bird.

Occam's Banana
01-02-2019, 05:51 AM
The more Rules and sub-Rules the State gives us, the better we can stave off the paralyzing confusion of anarchy.

UPDATE

Important Rules and sub-Rules highlighted in color (from thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?529821-New-year-new-state-laws):

Oregon has become the latest state to allow animals mowed down by vehicles to be harvested for human consumption.

The measure, which went into effect Tuesday, allows people to harvest meat from deer and elk which have been struck by vehicles, the Associated Press reported (https://www.capitalpress.com/ag_sectors/rurallife/oregon-joins-other-states-allowing-roadkill-for-food/article_85ef0500-0353-5953-aaec-2b0817846d9c.html).

Oregon lawmakers first approved the measure— Senate Bill 372 (https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB372/Enrolled)— in 2017.

But there is a catch for residents who want to make meat out of roadkill. The law states that residents have to apply for a permit within 24 hours if they want to use the meat of an elk or deer for food.

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is sweetening the deal for those who happen to unintentionally strike animals while on the road by providing the “roadkill salvage permits” for free, the Statesman Journal reported (https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/31/oregon-new-laws-workers-equal-pay-discrimination-whistleblowers-roadkill/2393545002/).

Drivers who want to obtain one of these permits have to give the animal’s head and antlers to the agency within five business days.

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/01/01/oregon-becomes-latest-state-allow-roadkill-food/

Anarchy has been averted! *whew*

(And please note the magnanimous graciousness of our Rule-making overlords in granting us free post hoc permits ... isn't that swell of them ... ?)

Schifference
01-02-2019, 06:04 AM
Well this is great. Harvest the road kill and pay fees and taxes on it. What will we do next? Set up feeders and tax people to supply food for the buzzards. Are buzzards less of a living creature than other forms of life? Who is the ultimate decider of what lives and dies?

I think we need to change our thinking on what we do with human's after death. Instead of just putting them in the ground in a pine box that will rot and all will turn to dirt, we should begin injecting chemicals into corpses and then put them in steel caskets and concrete vaults. I think no person should be buried directly in the ground.

We should stop wasting our water. Instead of keeping clean water separated from gray water we should begin using water to flush feces down a new device called a flush toilet. We should mix human waste with clean water and flush it down to a central processing facility where brilliant people can then filter the feces out of the sewage and use the filtered mixture to supply fresh good quality drinking water to the masses.

It is very important that we need to know and be educated on what to do with roadkill. Permits are key to civilization.

Danke
01-02-2019, 08:06 AM
Minnesota passed a law in 1987 that permits deer to be salvaged . They do not need permits for possum , raccoon and skunk . These are used to make barbarian spam which is eaten before activities like ice fishing , hockey etc .

The savages around here have been doing this way before 1987 (probably the reason legislators were pressured to changer the law).

I have seen teepees set up around deer and moose crossing road signs.

TheTexan
01-02-2019, 08:47 AM
do you mean we are allowed to eat food now? yay

With the proper permits, yes

TheTexan
01-02-2019, 08:53 AM
I never occurred to that it would be illegal.

It shouldn't be illegal. The right to hunt animals, even with a vehicle, is why the 2nd amendment was created.

Anti Federalist
01-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

I've eaten it so why not smear it on my face? Urine is also in some cosmetics. Not the worst thing I've had on my face.

http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Crowd.png

Annnnd suzanimal's PM box is full again.

angelatc
01-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Drivers who want to obtain one of these permits have to give the animal’s head and antlers to the agency within five business days.

i sort of want to walk in wearing a bloody butcher's apron and black rubber boots while holding a dripping buck's head just to see the look on the receptionists face.

oyarde
01-02-2019, 04:49 PM

I used fish for crab bait when I lived in Washington but if we had not been so busy I could have sent the newest guy out for roadkill for fun .

Anti Globalist
01-02-2019, 06:55 PM
If I had a shovel in my car and I saw roadkill I'd stop the car immediately and pull over the side of the road so I can bury the remains of the dead animal to pay my respects.

oyarde
01-03-2019, 12:01 AM
The savages around here have been doing this way before 1987 (probably the reason legislators were pressured to changer the law).

I have seen teepees set up around deer and moose crossing road signs.

Oyarde is a Great Hunter and eats well . I remain strong and skilled while the the drugstore cowboy police palefaces in the city grow fat and weak eating mac n cheese , the bellies grow large while the mind remains small .

Suzanimal
01-03-2019, 05:12 AM
UPDATE

Important Rules and sub-Rules highlighted in color (from thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?529821-New-year-new-state-laws):

Anarchy has been averted! *whew*

(And please note the magnanimous graciousness of our Rule-making overlords in granting us free post hoc permits ... isn't that swell of them ... ?)

I feel safer knowing someone's roadkill dinner has been properly permitted. Seriously, the state should be paying people who pick up the roadkill. They're performing a service by helping keep muh road clean. There are so many deer laying on the side of the road around here the buzzards can't keep up.

head and antlers

That's fightin words in this part of the country. Deer racks are standard decor. As a matter of fact, I've seen headless deer laying on the side of the road. I know my uncle has taken racks off roadkill that wasn't fit to eat. Hell, we even have one on our tree house. Squirrels love them, btw.

I wonder why they want the racks. You think it's because they don't want people to mount them and sell them? I can't imagine someone going in for a roadkill permit and lying about picking them up some roadkill for dinner.:confused:

Suzanimal
01-03-2019, 05:15 AM
i sort of want to walk in wearing a bloody butcher's apron and black rubber boots while holding a dripping buck's head just to see the look on the receptionists face.

:tears:

I was just sitting here thinking about taking in all the random roadkill just to be an asshole. I imagine walking in and trying to get a permit for my possum and snake heads.