PDA

View Full Version : Barry Goldwater, Jr. as a Running Mate?

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I have seen quite a few topics on running mates on this board ranging from that Judge on TV to Kucinich but have yet to see any about Barry Goldwater, Jr. as a possible running mate. I would like to know what your guys' take is on this and do you think Barry would even consider it if given the chance to run with Paul since it has been over 20 years since Barry has served in office.

Thanks.

0zzy
12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I have seen quite a few topics on running mates on this board ranging from that Judge on TV to Kucinich but have yet to see any about Barry Goldwater, Jr. as a possible running mate. I would like to know what your guys' take is on this and do you think Barry would even consider it if given the chance to run with Paul since it has been over 20 years since Barry has served in office.

Thanks.

Meh, he has nothing to add really. Sarah Palin = female vote, experienced.

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I see her name come up every now and then but what is really so great about her? From what I know of her, isnt she just as inexperienced as Obama?

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM

Thanks.

Andrew Napolitano?

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Also why do you state he has nothing to add? A LOT of traditional republicans see the Goldwater name as a standard in the party.

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Andrew Napolitano?

Yuppers

0zzy
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I see her name come up every now and then but what is really so great about her? From what I know of her, isnt she just as inexperienced as Obama?

She's a Governor of Alaska, has like 90%+ approval rating, pretty conservative, I'm assuming did good things in Alaska. She doesn't talk about the war much, though. Dono what her position is. She has sons who serve though.

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
TUCKER CARLSON FOR VP!

But, only if he goes back to wearing bowties!

jumpyg1258
Well if you got some links to stuff of hers like youtube vids, Id check em out.

0zzy
The Judge said he can't, he has already signed a deal with Fox for another 3 or so years.
Goldwater Sr. is very popular, but he also lost the general election badly. His son won't have anything to add just cause he's the son of Goldwater.

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Also why do you state he has nothing to add? A LOT of traditional republicans see the Goldwater name as a standard in the party.

If I remember correctly Goldwater Sr lost 37% to over 60%

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
TUCKER CARLSON FOR VP!

Youre joking right? This is the same guy who staged some hookers and vegas people at a RP rally to make him look bad. Sorry ANYONE from the MSM gets a NO in my book.

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:43 PM
For those of you who think Goldwater, Jr. has nothing to add, one has to remember that he was the one who brought us the Privacy Act.

0zzy
12-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Youre joking right? This is the same guy who staged some hookers and vegas people at a RP rally to make him look bad. Sorry ANYONE from the MSM gets a NO in my book.

He's done more good then harm.
But he's no VP material.

Mark Sanford or Sarah Palin are the choices I've heard and agreed with.

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:44 PM

I was joking......BUT Tucker voted for Ron Paul in 1988 as a Libertarian. He will strongly support him if he is successful.

jasonoliver
Bob Barr might be good too.

literatim
She's a Governor of Alaska, has like 90%+ approval rating, pretty conservative, I'm assuming did good things in Alaska. She doesn't talk about the war much, though. Dono what her position is. She has sons who serve though.

Do her views match Ron Paul's?

Ron Paul Fan
12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
After Ron Paul finishes top 3 in Iowa and wins New Hampshire, Mark Sanford will endorse him, giving Ron Paul the win in South Carolina and those two will become a small government dream team for the next 8 years and beyond.

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Do her views match Ron Paul's?

I wouldn't really want a woman on the ticket.

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't really want a woman on the ticket.

I don't mind as long as shes got the right mindset. Plus to quote Lewis Black, he states that the main function of the VP is to sit around in ones office and get as hammered as one can be but you have to be prepared to take the President's job on notice at anytime.

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
After Ron Paul finishes top 3 in Iowa and wins New Hampshire, Mark Sanford will endorse him, giving Ron Paul the win in South Carolina and those two will become a small government dream team for the next 8 years and beyond.

Sanford is young! He might be a good man to carry on the revolution in 2012 if Ron Paul does not win.

In 2012 Ron Paul will be 77 and Sanford 52.

While Ron Paul might be able to be re-elected at 77, that is too old for a 1st term.

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't mind as long as shes got the right mindset. Plus to quote Lewis Black, he states that the main function of the VP is to sit around in ones office and get as hammered as one can be but you have to be prepared to take the President's job on notice at anytime.

If we withdrawl from the Middle East - we better be prepared to look strong. Having a Woman as Pres/VP makes us look weak to the entire Islamic World. It would make us vulnerable.

0zzy
12-10-2007, 08:54 PM
If we withdrawl from the Middle East - we better be prepared to look strong. Having a Woman as Pres/VP makes us look weak to the entire Islamic World. It would make us vulnerable.

So, we should have Rudy? :X

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
So, we should have Rudy? :X

NO! I said I DON'T want a woman for president or VP!

ForLibertyFight
Sanford

jumpyg1258

You sure your not a neocon? Vote for person x or THE TERRORISTS WIN!!! Boogey Boogey Boo! SPOOKY!!!

Seriously though, umm I have doubts thats even remotely true. Just look at the power in Pakistan, a woman named Benazir Bhutto was in charge for a while and I didnt see them get invaded by the rest of the islamic world.

Thomas Paine
Colin Powell for VP. Chuck Hagel for SecDef. Pat Buchanan for SecState. Ross Perot for SecTreas. Jesse Ventura for CIA Director.

Matthew Zak
12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
NO! I said I DON'T want a woman for president or VP!

lol

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
You sure your not a neocon? Vote for person x or THE TERRORISTS WIN!!! Boogey Boogey Boo! SPOOKY!!!

Seriously though, umm I have doubts thats even remotely true. Just look at the power in Pakistan, a woman named Benazir Bhutto was in charge for a while and I didnt see them get invaded by the rest of the islamic world.

No, its just many Muslims think having a woman president is like naming a teddy bear Muhammed.

jumpyg1258
12-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Colin Powell for VP. Chuck Hagel for SecDef. Pat Buchanan for SecState. Ross Perot for SecTreas. Jesse Ventura for CIA Director.

Sorry I have no faith in any of the persons metioned above, especially Mr. Ice Cream Truck Nuke.

Ron Paul Fan
Sarah Palin has been in politics for 6 weeks. What are her qualifications again? Exactly!

jasonoliver

There won't be a CIA :D

Dan D.
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
There's 4 people Ron has actually mentioned as possible VP candidates: Chuck Hagel (but he was reluctant on this one), Mark Sanford, John Stossel, and one other whose name escapes me at the moment.

Lew Rockwell for Chief of Staff!

jasonoliver
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
There's 4 people Ron has actually mentioned as possible VP candidates: Chuck Hagel (but he was reluctant on this one), Mark Sanford, John Stossel, and one other whose name escapes me at the moment.

Lew Rockwell for Chief of Staff!

Walter E. Williams

Ron LOL
12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I like the idea of John Stossel in office.

Give me a break!

DrNoZone
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Bob Barr might be good too.

Don't make me puke! Bob Barr can't be trusted at this point. He's too recent a convert, if he even is one. Remember, this guy was (is?) a rabid drug warrior of the worst kind. Give him 10 years of solid, Paul-like honesty and integrity in his every deed, and then I'll think about changing my mind.

0zzy
12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Sarah Palin has been in politics for 6 weeks. What are her qualifications again? Exactly!

Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council and became a two-term mayor and manager of Wasilla, one of Alaska's fastest-growing communities. She was also elected President of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

2 terms Wasilla City Council
2 terms Mayor of Wasilla
President of Alaska Conference of Mayors
2002 - Failed bid for lieutenant governor (2nd place)
2003-2004 Commissioner of Oil & Gas Conservation Commission - left in protest of "lack of ethics" of the Republican Party
1 term at the Valley Hospital board
2006-Present Governor, beating incumbent

She was considered a "maverick" for filing accusations of some top Alaskan Republican officials for ethical violations.

2007, most popular governor of the United states with approval rating often in the 90s. Most recent one showed 84% approval, 5% disapproval.

Ron Paul Fan
12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council and became a two-term mayor and manager of Wasilla, one of Alaska's fastest-growing communities. She was also elected President of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

2 terms Mayor of Wasilla
2003-2004 Commissioner of Oil & Gas Conservation Commission - left in protest of "lack of ethics" of the Republican Party

She was considered a "maverick" for filing accusations of some top Alaskan Republican officials for ethical violations.

2007, most popular governor of the United states with approval rating often in the 90s. Most recent one showed 84% approval, 5% disapproval.

WOW! Much better than Sanford, a 3 term U.S. Congressman and 2 term Governor of a key early primary state! Palin has years of experience on the city council and hospital board! And she'd bring home the great state of Alaska! What a brilliant choice for VP!

leonster
12-11-2007, 06:04 AM
WOW! Much better than Sanford, a 3 term U.S. Congressman and 2 term Governor of a key early primary state! Palin has years of experience on the city council and hospital board! And she'd bring home the great state of Alaska! What a brilliant choice for VP!

Experience isn't the most important to me--remember, many current Congressional Republicans started out with ideologically somewhat similar to us--but the more experience they got, the more establishment they became and ultimately sold out.

She's fine with me, from what little I know. :)

Sanford is fine too, again from what little I know. But I don't see any reason to bash Palin.

(Alaska is fine with me too--might be refreshing to have an "outlying state" in charge of things--remind EVERYONE that there is a whole world outside DC/NY/the East Coast/Texas/California...)

tfelice
12-11-2007, 06:19 AM
I like Sanford. In fact many of us were hoping Sanford was going to run this time around, but sadly he didn't.

CelestialRender
12-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Sanford looks like the best choice, from the names floated in this thread. At least if The Judge is truly unavailable.

dude58677
12-11-2007, 07:59 AM
What about Thomas Sowell?

quickmike
12-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Well if you got some links to stuff of hers like youtube vids, Id check em out.

Is that you lil' Ron???

Coming from the past in a time machine to see how your future presidential campaign is going?

LibertyEagle
12-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Goldwater Sr. is very popular, but he also lost the general election badly. His son won't have anything to add just cause he's the son of Goldwater.

Goldwater, Sr. is dead. However, you're wrong to discount the Goldwater name, just because Goldwater, Sr. lost the election resoundingly. He is credited with reviving conservatism in this country and is widely respected. You know, REAL conservatism. Founding father principles.... What so many Republicans claim to be (conservative), but they have no clue what it really means. Goldwater's son might be the perfect person to remind them in ads and speeches. They very well might listen to him, where they might not listen to someone else.

It was well-known that Reagan ran on Goldwater's platform. That is why he talked a good game. The problem is, that he didn't DO what he talked about. Goldwater's platform also had nothing whatsoever to do with "social conservatism". That idea came about in Reagan's time. In reality, the term "social conservatism" is an oxymoron. Traditional conservatives are firm believers in the Constitution and getting the federal government out of your life, while "social conservatives" tend to want to use big government power to force their ideas on everyone else. There is in fact, very little difference between "social conservatives" and the people on the other side of the aisle that they say they loathe. They both want to use big government to force their ideas on the people; they only differ in what they want big government to force.

Don't think for a minute that Republicans don't know who Barry Goldwater is, because they most certainly do. Now, that name may not mean as much to young Republicans, but you can be sure it does to older ones. (Note: You know, the demographic that we are currently missing in our campaign ;)) You will not find many Republicans who will say ANYTHING negative about Goldwater, because he has been made an icon, just like Reagan.

That said, I agree that Goldwater, Jr. would not be the best running mate. Primarily because of his age. He is however, a wonderful endorsement and is something the campaign should be getting out to all Republicans.

BuddyRey
12-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Ron Paul would never be called a liberal in conservatives' clothing again, that's for darn sure! In most circles, to malign anything Goldwater is to malign conservatism itself. It is a SACRILEGE!!!

noztnac
12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
TUCKER CARLSON FOR VP!

Tucker was responsible for the Bunny Ranch hit piece.

JMann
12-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Qualifications for VP.

Has held elective office.
Qualified to replace the President if needed.
Young enough to run for President after Paul.
Agrees with Paul on the majority of issues.

Bobby Johnson
12-11-2007, 08:45 AM
It was well-known that Reagan ran on Goldwater's platform. That is why he talked a good game. The problem is, that he didn't DO what he talked about. Goldwater's platform also had nothing whatsoever to do with "social conservatism". That idea came about in Reagan's time. In reality, the term "social conservatism" is an oxymoron. Traditional conservatives are firm believers in the Constitution and getting the federal government out of your life, while "social conservatives" tend to want to use big government power to force their ideas on everyone else. There is in fact, very little difference between "social conservatives" and the people on the other side of the aisle that they say they loathe. They both want to use big government to force their ideas on the people; they only differ in what they want big government to force.

Liberty Eagle,
Wow. I really like how you spelled this out. May I use what you wrote to help convince a woman to support Ron Paul? She has admitted to me several times that we desperately need the equivalent of a "Ronald Reagan" type President today. She is diehard Republican because she loathes Hillary Clinton and what the Democratic Party stands for today.

She also happens to be a very strong supporter of President Bush because she fears pulling the troops out of Iraq. She is leaning toward Mike Huckabee because of this reason. She also does not mind having the federal government setting laws on banning abortion, online gambling, and other "moral" issues.

Ron Pual would be a strong fit for this woman because based on what I know of her she is a very much a "traditional" Republican on most of her views. The only thing holding her on the neoconservatives side is the Iraq war and her desire to see the federal government regulating morality.

I keep hammering at her that Ron Paul is the only Republican with the integrity to beat Hillary Clinton. I also tell her that the federal government has no authority under the Constitution to enact the laws she would like to see. I seem to be making headway with her because she is now begining to ask me questions about some of Ron Paul's views. She is starting to realize she has been deceived and is looking for alternatives. Ron Paul can have that effect of people.:D

Bobby Johnson
12-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Sorry for my double post. How did that happen?:o

jumpyg1258
12-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Is that you lil' Ron???

Coming from the past in a time machine to see how your future presidential campaign is going?

Comparing me to Ron Paul, can't think of a better compliment. heheh :D

Laja
12-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't think Goldwater would make a good running mate. No offense, but that video endorsement of him makes him seem like he was either drinking or he's a drunk.

jumpyg1258
12-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't think Goldwater would make a good running mate. No offense, but that video endorsement of him makes him seem like he was either drinking or he's a drunk.

ROFL I was thinking along the same lines when I saw the video he made, it was like he had a few cold ones before filming it. :p

Unspun
12-11-2007, 09:20 AM

2 terms Mayor of Wasilla

Her first term as governor she had the highest budget in Alaska's history. Lifelong member of neo-con NRA. Strong anti gay marriage. Can't even find her Iraq war position other than she "supports our troops".

She's not terrible, but I think Ron could do better.

Seanmc30
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Her first term as governor she had the highest budget in Alaska's history. Lifelong member of neo-con NRA. Strong anti gay marriage. Can't even find her Iraq war position other than she "supports our troops".

She's not terrible, but I think Ron could do better.

Ahh yes....but did you happen to notice the fact that she may be the most attractive politician in the western hemisphere?

A superficial voting public might find that to be "voteworthy"

But seriously, that is the most attractive 43 year old woman I've ever seen.

Seanmc30
12-11-2007, 09:25 AM
In all seriousness, a running mate is turning out to be a tough choice in my mind. I just cant think of anyone who has a voting record as outstanding as RP whose personality would bring a strong showing to the polls. Sure there are other Libertarian candidates out there, but none have any name recognition at all.

Tough choice.

jumpyg1258
12-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I just cant think of anyone who has a voting record as outstanding as RP whose personality would bring a strong showing to the polls. Sure there are other Libertarian candidates out there, but none have any name recognition at all.

Tough choice.

Which is why I brought up Barry in the first place.