PDA

View Full Version : Trump Gives Chief of Staff Reince Priebus Until Independence Day for White House Shakeup

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Trump gave Priebus the ultimatum just days after returning to Washington from a nine-day foreign trip last month, according to two administration officials and three outside advisers who spoke with Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/11/donald-trump-reince-priebus-deadline-239411).
Multiple sources told the publication that Trump berated Priebus for dysfunction in the White House in front of Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and deputy campaign manager David Bossie during a meeting in the Oval Office. Trump then gave Priebus the deadline.

More at: http://www.newsweek.com/trump-sets-independence-day-deadline-staff-shakeup-624207

It's about time.

devil21
06-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Something big will happen on July 5th then.

Chester Copperpot
06-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Something big will happen on July 5th then.

Thats my birthday.. a nice positive shake up might be a good bday gift lol

jllundqu
06-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Nothing will happen. Everyone waiting for something 'big' to happen isn't nearly cynical enough...

dannno
06-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Like I've been saying for a while now, Trump will give these guys about 6 months to a year max before they get a performance review. Before that he has to back them up and not talk too much shit so that he doesn't negatively affect their performance.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 04:17 PM
Nothing will happen. Everyone waiting for something 'big' to happen isn't nearly cynical enough...
Rebellions are built on HOPE.
But I am not going to bet the farm either.

Origanalist
06-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Rebellions are built on HOPE.
But I am not going to bet the farm either.

What are we hoping for?

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
What are we hoping for?

That DUMP will be better than what we have been getting.

TheCount
06-12-2017, 05:30 PM
That DUMP will be better than what we have been getting.Trump just put the chairman of the GOP, the guy who was in charge of 'what you have been getting' from the GOP for 6 years, in charge of deciding who the white house staff should be. And you're thinking that the result is going to be ​better?

r3volution 3.0
06-12-2017, 05:34 PM
That DUMP will be better than what we have been getting.

What specifically does a "shake up" mean?

Does it mean a change in policy (if so, how?) or just the development of a smoother PR operation?

Trump just put the chairman of the GOP, the guy who was in charge of 'what you have been getting' from the GOP for 6 years, in charge of deciding who the white house staff should be. And you're thinking that the result is going to be ​better?

We have to appoint him to see what's in him.

Swordsmyth
Trump just put the chairman of the GOP, the guy who was in charge of 'what you have been getting' from the GOP for 6 years, in charge of deciding who the white house staff should be. And you're thinking that the result is going to be ​better?
The hope is that he will FIRE him, since Priebus is unlikely to clean out the people he chose.

showpan
The shake up is obvious. Trump will complete the neoliberal coup and anyone who does not swear loyalty to them will be fired. It was just a matter of time.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 05:35 PM
What specifically does a "shake up" mean?

Does it mean a change in policy (if so, how?) or just the development of a smoother PR operation?

That is what we should be hoping about, and what I am not going to bet the farm on.

r3volution 3.0
06-12-2017, 05:36 PM
That is what we should be hoping about, and what I am not going to bet the farm on.

I'll bet that somewhere in the internet, right about now, some poor souls are reviving the "Ron Paul for Treasury Sec!" hilarity.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 05:40 PM
The shake up is obvious. Trump will complete the neoliberal coup and anyone who does not swear loyalty to them will be fired. It was just a matter of time.
I understand your point of view, but if you don't dream it it can't come true.
The left understands this and that is why they get more of what they want, while Repubs won't vote for Ron or Rand or Pat Buchanan etc. because they "can't win", the left turns out like mad for Bernie etc. even when the lose the force the Dems to give them more of what they want in order to keep their votes.
I am not going to bet the farm on this but I WILL hope.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 05:40 PM
I'll bet that somewhere in the internet, right about now, some poor souls are reviving the "Ron Paul for Treasury Sec!" hilarity.
The left understands this and that is why they get more of what they want, while Repubs won't vote for Ron or Rand or Pat Buchanan etc. because they "can't win", the left turns out like mad for Bernie etc. even when the lose they force the Dems to give them more of what they want in order to keep their votes.

TheCount
06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
The hope is that he will FIRE him, since Priebus is unlikely to clean out the people he chose.Dude, Preibus going to blame the people he didn't DIDN'T choose and replace them with people who are not going to argue. The guy who is in charge of deciding who is causing the problem was the chairman of the GOP!

"There's too much disagreement in the white house, fix it." -> "Okay" -> An army of yes-men.

r3volution 3.0
06-12-2017, 05:50 PM
The left understands this and that is why they get more of what they want, while Repubs won't vote for Ron or Rand or Pat Buchanan etc. because they "can't win", the left turns out like mad for Bernie etc. even when the lose the force the Dems to give them more of what they want in order to keep their votes.

Hey I hope so too, just not betting a dime, let alone the farm.

At a certain point, though, hope becomes counterproductive.

Every day spent hoping Stalin reads Mises and reforms is a day not spent looking for a realistic solution to the problem.

Zippyjuan
06-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Rumors are that Preibus is one of the people potentially getting fired. He disagrees with Steve Bannon too much.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Hey I hope so too, just not betting a dime, let alone the farm.

At a certain point, though, hope becomes counterproductive.

Every day spent hoping Stalin reads Mises and reforms is a day not spent looking for a realistic solution to the problem.
Hope costs me nothing and I am always looking for better solutions. And Dump is not Stalin, Obama was.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Rumors are that Preibus is one of the people potentially getting fired. He disagrees with Steve Bannon too much.
So Zippy can hope unlike TheCount ?
Wait a minute, I bet he thinks this would make things worse, Right?

r3volution 3.0
06-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Hope costs me nothing and I am always looking for better solutions. And Dump is not Stalin, Obama was.

I wasn't calling Dump Stalin, just an analogy, but while we're on the subject:

In what way is Dump less Stalin-esque than Obama? They have basically the same ideology.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 06:00 PM
I wasn't calling Dump Stalin, just an analogy, but while we're on the subject:

In what way is Dump less Stalin-esque than Obama? They have basically the same ideology.

DUMP has done things to reduce government regulations, Obama never met a regulation he didn't like.

Zippyjuan
06-12-2017, 06:07 PM
DUMP has done things to reduce government regulations, Obama never met a regulation he didn't like.

Not really. He has said they won't enforce some regulations but he hasn't removed any permanently. Many departments can't do anything about their regulations because they have too many unfilled positions.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Not really. He has said they won't enforce some regulations but he hasn't removed any permanently. Many departments can't do anything about their regulations because they have too many unfilled positions.
That is not true. There have already been regulations removed, but even if I am wrong you are forgetting the "remove 2 to add 1" rule.

r3volution 3.0
06-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Dump's deregulation is like Obama going through the budget "line by line" (to find a whopping $100 million in spending cuts).

Reforms of this caliber will ensure that society collapses January 28th 2035 instead of January 27th 2035.

i.e. big whoop

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Dump's deregulation is like Obama going through the budget "line by line" (to find a whopping $100 million in spending cuts).

Reforms of this caliber will ensure that society collapses January 27th 2035 instead of January 28th 2035.

i.e. big whoop

It is still a difference the can be encouraged to grow.
Moving from +numbers to -numbers is a threshold change, any threshold is significant.

Zippyjuan
06-12-2017, 06:18 PM
That is not true. There have already been regulations removed, but even if I am wrong you are forgetting the "remove 2 to add 1" rule.

That was a suggestion made in an executive order. It carried no force of law. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/30/trump-wants-to-cut-two-regulations-on-businesses-for-every-new-one-imposed/?utm_term=.43c246bbe8d0

President Trump signed an order Monday aimed at cutting regulations on businesses, saying that agencies should eliminate at least two regulations for each new one.

The White House later released the text of the order, which added that the cost of any new regulation should be offset by eliminating regulations with the same costs to businesses. It excluded regulations regarding the military.

The impact of the order was difficult to judge based on the president’s remarks. It could be difficult to implement under current law and would concentrate greater power in the Office of Management and Budget, which already reviews federal regulations.

Moreover, any effort to scrap a regulation triggers its own process, complete with draft rules, comment periods, and regulation rewriting. That process can be subject to litigation. At the least, Trump’s proposal would add a new time-consuming requirement for any new congressional legislation or agency regulation on topics as varied as banking, health care, environment, labor conditions and more.

It is also vague and does not say what qualifies as a "regulation".

Trump’s order directs the Office of Management and Budget to provide guidance on how to estimate costs and set standards for what qualifies as new and offsetting regulations. Trump advisers, who briefed White House reporters on background, said the administration would establish a new management regime — “a strong structural process” — to handle the task.

Most of his Executive Orders have been more policy statements than new laws. Congress hasn't passed any new laws or regulations other than the funding continuation bill.

TheCount
06-12-2017, 09:23 PM
So Zippy can hope unlike @TheCount (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=58229) ?
Wait a minute, I bet he thinks this would make things worse, Right?

Depends on who replaces him.

That rumor doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, though. Why would you task the guy you're going to fire with reorganizing the administration that someone else is going to lead?

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Depends on who replaces him.

That rumor doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, though. Why would you task the guy you're going to fire with reorganizing the administration that someone else is going to lead?
To blame him for failing and then let the new guy reorganize everything.

TheCount
06-12-2017, 09:43 PM
To blame him for failing

We're back to 32D chess with Paul Ryan now. We all saw how that went.

Swordsmyth
06-12-2017, 09:46 PM
We're back to 32D chess with Paul Ryan now. We all saw how that went.
I am hoping, but I am not betting on it, as I have said all along.
We will see soon enough.