PDA

View Full Version : United Airlines tries to wrestle 17th century violin away from passenger

angelatc
06-08-2017, 09:28 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/06/06/an-airline-tried-to-get-a-musician-to-check-her-17th-century-violin-a-wrestling-match-ensued/?utm_term=.57e649d16d89

For the small fraternity of people who make their living coaxing musical notes out of vulnerable pieces of wood and metal, few things are more terrifying than seeing an expensive, defenseless instrument disappear on that little conveyor belt at the airport.

Horror stories abound. A musician checked his $45,000, 75-year-old cello, which airport workers promptly placed beneath somebody’s golf clubs, snapping its neck. A noted German soloist said airport workers roughed up his cello case. After his flight, he found his $20,000 bow broken in half. A Florida State University music student on a flight to Tallahassee found splinters of wood where her cello used to be.

Those stories and many, many more have converged into an unwritten musicians’ rule: Never trust an airline with your instrument.

So when a Houston-based gate agent at United Airlines told Yennifer Correia that she would have to check her 17th-century violin, which costs more than her car, the first words out of her mouth were: “What are my other options?”

Correia, a classical violinist on her way to play in the summer season at the Missouri Symphony Orchestra, asked for an airport supervisor. But the supervisor said there were no other options. The violin had to be checked.

Her attorney, Phil MacNaughton, recounted what happened from there. Correia told the supervisor, “I can’t not take my violin on board. I’ll pay the money. I’ll take another flight. Just tell me what I can do.”

As the altercation intensified, Correia told the agents that she would appeal to their bosses and asked the supervisor for her name, MacNaughton said. The supervisor said she wanted Correia’s name and reached for the tag on her luggage.

“Without provocation, the supervisor for the Chicago-based carrier then lunged for Ms. Correia’s case and, incredibly, tried to wrestle it away from the musician,” said a statement written by MacNaughton.

“I start screaming, ‘Help, help, help, can somebody record what’s happening because this lady’s trying to take my personal suitcase from me,’” Correia told Houston NBC-affiliate KPRC.

The supervisor said she was going to call security, and Correia apparently responded, “Please do.” Then the supervisor dashed off. That was the last Correia saw of her.

Federal law requires airports to accommodate musicians who want to carry their instruments with them in the airplane’s cabin. (https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Musical%20instruments_FR_final%20rule.pdf)
https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/files/2017/06/yenniferheadshot.jpg

specsaregood
06-08-2017, 09:35 AM
“What are my other options?”

You drive. problem solved. Houston to Missouri aint that bad.

fisharmor
06-08-2017, 09:38 AM
You drive. problem solved. Houston to Missouri aint that bad.

It is if you're doing the posted speed, and if you're driving around with an instrument that costs more than a car, then you should, because if you don't, it'll still get taken from you.

Dr.3D
06-08-2017, 09:53 AM
I would be sure to insure the instrument to the amount necessary to replace it.

specsaregood
06-08-2017, 10:00 AM
It is if you're doing the posted speed, and if you're driving around with an instrument that costs more than a car, then you should, because if you don't, it'll still get taken from you.

Meh, I'd drive it without a second thought over checking an expensive violin in as luggage.

Ender
06-08-2017, 10:05 AM

The problem is that it can never be replaced. Each instrument, especially one this old, is very unique and irreplaceable.

Dr.3D
06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
The problem is that it can never be replaced. Each instrument, especially one this old, is very unique and irreplaceable.
Of course but it could be replaced with one equally as old and unique. I'm sure there are more of them out there.

acptulsa
06-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Of course but it could be replaced with one equally as old and unique. I'm sure there are more of them out there.

They are hand made. This isn't about it's old, it's rare, it's pretty, all the usual antique market drivers. This is about how does a hand made instrument sound?

Sure, equally as old and unique is easy to find. But can she and any of those make beautiful music together?

At the end of the day, the lady does not have to get on your airplane. Attempting to snatch that violin is grand theft. Doesn't matter if you're just trying to check it, and she has the claim, and you fully believe she'll get it back. It's in her possession, and she does not care to entrust you with it, and trying to force her to do so by forcibly separating her from it is grand theft.

Dr.3D
06-08-2017, 10:21 AM
They are hand made. This isn't about it's old, it's rare, it's pretty, all the usual antique market drivers. This is about how does a hand made instrument sound?

Sure, equally as old and unique is easy to find. But can she and any of those make beautiful music together?

At the end of the day, the lady does not have to get on your airplane. Attempting to snatch that violin is grand theft. Doesn't matter if you're just trying to check it, and she has the claim, and you fully believe she'll get it back. It's in her possession, and she does not care to entrust you with it, and trying to force her to do so by forcibly separating her from it is grand theft.

Granted. If she has it insured to the point where she could retire and live a life of luxury off of the insurance, she would still be better off than not having it insured at all.

specsaregood
06-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Granted. If she has it insured to the point where she could retire and live a life of luxury off of the insurance, she would still be better off than not having it insured at all.

1. I'm sure it was insured.
2. it's probably not paid off and insurance would go to paying the loan on it.

jllundqu
06-08-2017, 10:50 AM
They make pelican cases, tough boxes, and damn near indestructible cases for instruments and other things. Pony up the dough and buy a tough case that will protect your investment... or has been mentioned above, DON'T FLY because you are CATTLE to the government and will get bent over and made to squeal for the king's pleasure every chance they get.

tod evans
06-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Instruments, especially stringed instruments of that vintage are often priceless.

Certainly not to be trusted to a goon.

Danke
06-08-2017, 11:14 AM
I believe it happen just as reported...

Jamesiv1
06-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Professionals playing 17th-century cellos, if they have any sense at all, buy a seat for the cello.

Part of the cost of doing business, as it were.

I bet she does that next time she flies.

angelatc
06-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Professionals playing 17-century cellos, if they have any sense at all, buy a seat for the cello.

Part of the cost of doing business, as it were.

I bet she does that next time she flies.

It's a violin. She offered to, or to take another flight.

Jamesiv1
06-08-2017, 11:52 AM
It's a violin. She offered to, or to take another flight.
Doesn't matter. The girl is a degenerate lib-tard and should go to prison for a long time.

I bet she also has hairy armpits and offensive body odors.

shakey1
06-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Airport thugs... probably strip-searched the violin.

tod evans
06-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Airport thugs... probably strip-searched the violin.

There might be drugs!

Brian4Liberty
06-08-2017, 12:17 PM
They make pelican cases, tough boxes, and damn near indestructible cases for instruments and other things. Pony up the dough and buy a tough case that will protect your investment... or has been mentioned above, DON'T FLY because you are CATTLE to the government and will get bent over and made to squeal for the king's pleasure every chance they get.

That was my first thought. The story about the neck of a cello being broken by golf clubs indicates it was in a bag, not a case. Might be a way to get an insured instrument replaced or paid out (for more than real value)? Scams?

Brian4Liberty
06-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Seems like a violin would be small enough for carry-on. Smaller than the bags a lot of people bring on.

timosman
06-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Seems like a violin would be small enough for carry-on. Smaller than the bags a lot of people bring on.

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/g1360363293126335454.jpg.png

Anti Federalist
06-08-2017, 12:45 PM
So she drives, and gets tossed by some asshole cop in the middle of the night on some dark highway, who "seizes her assets" because "drugs".

Just another day in the land of the free.

Anti Federalist
06-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Doesn't matter. The girl is a degenerate lib-tard and should go to prison for a long time.

I bet she also has hairy armpits and offensive body odors.

FFS, we only need ONE Texan on this board.

Swordsmyth
06-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Get a hardened padded case, lock it and don't tell anyone what is in it. Then check it.

This was clearly an attempted theft.

Origanalist
06-08-2017, 03:23 PM
If she asked me in a nice way I would drive her.

angelatc
06-08-2017, 05:13 PM
That was my first thought. The story about the neck of a cello being broken by golf clubs indicates it was in a bag, not a case. Might be a way to get an insured instrument replaced or paid out (for more than real value)? Scams?

My sons guitar case is what I pictured. Not a bag, but not a hard plastic travel case either.

oyarde
06-08-2017, 05:32 PM
I believe it happen just as reported...

I was scared to read it , I figured you & Ed would be in the article .