PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL Hightimes Ad Thread

fortilite
12-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok, so during the planning phases I made a lot of redundant threads. Here is the thread we will use from now until the ad is placed.

The Chip-In (http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad)

The Ad (made by DefCreative)
http://www.global-netventures.com/defcreativepaulad50.jpg

Now this is a draft, so let's clean up any text that needs to be cleaned up today and tomorrow.

I want to thank everyone that contributed drafts. We got more than expected!

Update (12/11/07):

Good news: We CAN get good placement, and the circulation is 206,000. (http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad)

angrydragon
12-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I think youtube: RON PAUL (doesn't need the 2008) is good enough.

adwads
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Great ad!

PRIEST
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Very nice!

fortilite
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Here is everyone who helped contribute a draft:

MadTheologian
GoRon2008
runderwo
WebFX
Rhys
Bacon
defcreative

Thank you everyone, so many great entries it was tough for us to narrow them down.

RPinSEAZ
12-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Most republican primaries are February 3rd???? Is there even one primary that's February 3rd?

angrydragon
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
It's Feb 5th.

Vendico
12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Paul also introduced legislation to legalize hemp.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Here is the official disclaimer:

Paid for by Americans United for Liberty, www.unitedforliberty.com, and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

Thank you Lord Xar for letting us use your PAC!

Melissa
12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I like this one I agree about getting rid of the you tube part

fortilite
12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Chip-In (http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad) Let's get this in the upcoming edition of Hightimes! In time for voter registration.

tsetsefly
12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
anyone who gave to the carbondale chip in, now that you got your money back give it to this ad instead!

btw should it mention that he voted agaisnt the iraq war and the patriot act? coudlnt hurt...

fortilite
12-10-2007, 06:09 PM
This is a highly targeted ad in a prominent magazine for the niche.

0zzy
12-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Primary
should be
Primary

Vendico
12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Primary
should be
Primary

good catch

Buzz
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Any background on why drug issues were chosen as the focus of the ad? Not criticizing at all, just curious.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 06:24 PM
It's a Hightimes ad.

Hurricane Bruiser
12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Any background on why drug issues were chosen as the focus of the ad? Not criticizing at all, just curious.

It's for a magazine that deals strictly with drugs.

terryp
12-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Is there a RP pic with the flag as the background instead of two pics.

Very Nice Job. Did anyone get the circulation numbers?

fortilite
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM
They didn't respond to my inquiry, I'm going to call them tomorrow about circulation numbers and page placement.

Here is the chip-in, I'll post the info there when I get it (also in this thread).
http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad

constituent
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
how about

"has introduced legislation to legalize hemp NOW!"

MadTheologian
12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
WebFX--

That looks great and professional! Congrats and good job!

tsetsefly
12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
lets get the chip ins going...

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
did I miss another poll where we voted on the design?

I think the one chosen is boring and the average reader is going to read 1% of that information. You might as well have the same templete for ALL adds because they all look the same.

But hey, thats just coming from somebody who use to look away from anything that had to do with politics.

Good luck.

boondoggle
12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
bump

OferNave
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Most republican primaries are February 3rd???? Is there even one primary that's February 3rd?

He is right, half of them are on Feb 5. I still haven't seen anyone respond to this saying they corrected the ad.

Also, did anyone ever publish the circulation number of High Times? I want to be able to quantify the return on investment before I chip in.

krott5333
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
the 'Y' at the end of primary is a different font.

And I'd suggest getting rid of the "most are february"

Other than that.. it looks excellent

DirtMcGirt
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
awesome, i would put; youtube 1st , then official site 2nd, then maybe free me tv 3rd

fortilite
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
For some reason the Widget isn't updating on Chip-In, don't worry, we have had donations:

PissedOffAmerican
12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Talking about supreme court justice nominations is NOT going to motivate pot smokers to vote for Dr Paul. As president, he would head the Executive branch, and can, through decree, END the Federal war on Drugs. THAT is what pot smokers want to hear, not "Maybe, ten or more years from now, IF Ron Paul gets a chance to appoint supreme court justices, MAYBE the supreme court will deign to hear a case on marijuana use, and MAYBE they will rule enforcement of federal drug laws is unconstitutional, MAYBE",

No, they want to hear "As president and head of the executive (enforcement) branch of the government, Ron Paul will END the unconstitutional war on non-violent marijuana users"

And THAT is the truth, no bs, tell them what they want to hear.

Curtis

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Talking about supreme court justice nominations is NOT going to motivate pot smokers to vote for Dr Paul. As president, he would head the Executive branch, and can, through decree, END the Federal war on Drugs. THAT is what pot smokers want to hear, not "Maybe, ten or more years from now, IF Ron Paul gets a chance to appoint supreme court justices, MAYBE the supreme court will deign to hear a case on marijuana use, and MAYBE they will rule enforcement of federal drug laws is unconstitutional, MAYBE",

No, they want to hear "As president and head of the executive (enforcement) branch of the government, Ron Paul will END the unconstitutional war on non-violent marijuana users"

And THAT is the truth, no bs, tell them what they want to hear.

Curtis

Some seem too scared to do that. But apparently, a traditional add is what would appeal to these readers :confused:

I still think we should go this direction.. I don't like it 100% but its more appealing....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test11.jpg

boondoggle
12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
I like that one the most! Great job. I don't know if him holding a pipe and looking like he just took a hit is the best thing, but great job, nonetheless. :)

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Dude, these ads need to say ONE THING:

Ron Paul Supports the Legalization of Marijuana.

Why do none of these ads actually say that????????????????????

StumbleBum7
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Some seem too scared to do that. But apparently, a traditional add is what would appeal to these readers :confused:

I still think we should go this direction.. I don't like it 100% but its more appealing....

very easy to look at to, and i like the idea of using HIS quotes that shows what he thinks. maybe put abit more info about reg repub for primaries and youtubing him somwehere but i do like that one a lot

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I like that one the most! Great job. I don't know if him holding a pipe and looking like he just took a hit is the best thing, but great job, nonetheless. :)

I can easily take the glasses out of his hand or pick another picture.

I just think the Typical adds are cheesy. I think we need a new poll to vote.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 09:31 PM
You guys are right, we should have a vote. I'm nervous about us meeting the donation deadline though, this is all so last minute and people are saving for the Tea Party.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 09:32 PM
You guys are right, we should have a vote. I'm nervous about us meeting the donation deadline though, this is all so last minute and people are saving for the Tea Party.

Whats the deadline again?

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 09:32 PM
RON PAUL SUPPORTS THE LEGALIZATION OR MARIJUANA.

Add it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soccrmastr
12-10-2007, 09:33 PM
yes just link the website, the official website has a video network which is based on youtube videos of the official campaign and other supporters and vids about ron paul. Just ronpaul2008.com is good and Google Ron Paul too, those are all thats needed.

ClockwiseSpark

That looks good, 'cept for the typo. Ride should be Rid. And perhaps some of his voting record.

fortilite
Whats the deadline again?

Friday :eek:

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 09:38 PM
fixing typo.... taking glasses out of hand.....

Do you guys really want it to say "RON PAUL SUPPORTS THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA"?

brumans
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
edit

Arklatex
12-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I love that first quote however who has another one to replace that 2nd one?

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test12.jpg

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Decide which ad we are doing because this might directly effect whether or not someone wants to donate.

You can't ask for money and then in the middle decide to change the ad completely.

Personally I don't like the black and red ad. It might look "cool", but it's not professional. :(

Esor
12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I like both ads and I see what everyone is saying. I think the second ad would attract more people than the first, but the first looks more professional. I will let you folks to work out more of the details because I think both would work fine. I plan on donating as well.

dmspilot00
12-10-2007, 10:00 PM
I like the first ad, but I think "End the War on Drugs" should be in large capital letters at the top, and then "Vote Ron Paul for President" should be moved down in its place. We need to capture people's attention. Oh yeah, and you are not supposed to start a sentence with a number, so spell out ten.

The second ad looks nice bu it does not grab your attention and the message is not clear. You have to read several sentences to figure out what that ad is for which is not good.

And I think the concept of this ad (http://www.integralinternet.com/myhightimesad.jpg) which I modified last night has potential as well.

Arklatex
12-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Birdlady, I think an ad with some character is ok in high times.

Let us make it real pretty i say, make it hit the spot, give it an overall message and vibe that potheads can really feel, intellectually. =)

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Theres a difference between "professional" and "traditional".

Dont forget where it is going...

http://myspace-580.vo.llnwd.net/01168/08/53/1168383580_l.jpg

tamor
12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't believe he wants to legalize marijuana. He wants the Federal Government out of the regulation of drugs. He wants the states to decide. that is a big difference.. better reword. He is being quoted from a Federal Government point of view.

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't believe he wants to legalize marijuana. He wants the Federal Government out of the regulation of drugs. He wants the states to decide. that is a big difference.. better reword. He is being quoted from a Federal Government point of view.

So, from a federal gov point of view, Ron wants to legalize weed. He's running for President, not mayor or governor.

tamor
12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
At the Federal Government level - It is about decriminalization, not legalization

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 10:13 PM

I know but people said I should put it there.

Gees people, make up your minds?!?

Vote thread please!!!! I can alter the words at the last minute If mine is picked.

I just don't think its fair that the other add (which is nice) got picked without a vote after I won the last vote.

tamor
12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
He wants the Fed Gov to have nothing to do with the laws governing drugs -- He wants the states to make these decisions.

1913_to_2008
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Put Legalize! He is for the states deciding but, he says "people should be able to do what they want" LEGALIZE IT

OferNave
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
I put in $50. Don't care which ad you use, just pick one and get on with raising the $3600. :)

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Birdlady, I think an ad with some character is ok in high times.

Let us make it real pretty i say, make it hit the spot, give it an overall message and vibe that potheads can really feel, intellectually. =)

It's not about character, it is about being professional. Wording needs to be perfect, spelling needs checked, facts and quotes need to be checked and sourced.

Count me out on this one. Good luck.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 10:22 PM
It's not about character, it is about being professional. Wording needs to be perfect, spelling needs checked, facts and quotes need to be checked and sourced.

Do you think all these adds I am posted are the FINAL one thats going to be sent to be published?!?

When a final draft is made, its made in higher quality and put into a file format that the magazine accepts. All final changes and fix's are made at THIS time.

Gees.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Wrong.

Washington, DC -- For the second time since the federal government outlawed hemp farming in the United States, a federal bill has been introduced that would remove restrictions on the cultivation of non-psychoactive industrial hemp. The chief sponsor of H.R. 1009, the "Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007," is Representative Ron Paul (R-TX).

HEMP=CANNABIS=MARIJUANA
Same plant, different names.

tamor
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Use the ad with RP picture by the American flag. The wording is more complete without saying "legalizing". I think this puts us on a more solid ground of what he actually said. I would change nothing in that ad -- looks great -- gives just enough information. :-)

Arklatex
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Hey now, I 'm a birdlover too! especially pilated woodpeckers You can donate. You're right about what you point out.

I particular don't like that quote on Paul saying legalizing drugs, I do however like that first quote very much, talking about not sending the federal government after indiviual marijuana users. (especially legal ones i might point out!)

There are a million artists out that would die to make this ad, we desperately need to alert the artist community online! I'm serious we'd have 100 submissions before sunup. :D

tamor
12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I have never heard RP say "I think Marijuana should be legalized" have you?

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Use the ad with RP picture by the American flag. The wording is more complete without saying "legalizing". I think this puts us on a more solid ground of what he actually said. I would change nothing in that ad -- looks great -- gives just enough information. :-)

He says legalizing. He says END the War on Drugs.

Washington, DC -- For the second time since the federal government outlawed hemp farming in the United States, a federal bill has been introduced that would remove restrictions on the cultivation of non-psychoactive industrial hemp. The chief sponsor of H.R. 1009,

HEMP=Cannabis=Marijuana

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Yes I have
Over and over again.
QUIT with the negative disinformation.

1913_to_2008
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Legalize needs to be said.

krott5333
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM

HEMP=Cannabis=Marijuana

thats misinformation.

I too, have never seen or heard a quote from Ron Paul saying he wants to legalize marijuana.

Socially, hemp is not marijuana. Hemp is the planty section of the plant. When people say "marijuana", they are referring to the flower.

It all comes from cannibis.

To say Ron Paul wants to legalize Marijuana, in my mind, is mis-quoting.

krott5333
12-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes I have
Over and over again.
QUIT with the negative disinformation.

source?

tamor
12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
# 67 is exactly correct

fortilite
12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
We'll lets just avoid the states issues all together, just keep the ad about what he would do about the federal government. He wants it federally legalized, states would still have the power to keep it illegal.

Arklatex
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Yes he has, but he doesn't want a direct quote like that taken out of context for an ad, a statement like that has to have some detail and context you know what I mean?

this is the best one so far: http://urbanized.ca/ronpaul/paulad-webfx.jpg

I like this quote: "i would absolutely never sue the federal government to force the law on anyone using marijuana."

I think it should have a lot of color and a good vibe. Make it professional but most importantly effective. We could really make an unbelievably successful ad here guys. I say this as a professional.

Cody Evanks

hasan
12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
ron paul says the federal government has no business regulating drugs. watch the ABC stossel interview

krott5333
12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
We'll lets just avoid the states issues all together, just keep the ad about what he would do about the federal government. He wants it federally legalized, states would still have the power to keep it illegal.

source?

krott5333
12-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Ron Paul's actual message is more than enough to win support from marijuana users. If he did nto specifically say he wants to legalize marijuana, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE AD.

That is journalistic dishonesty.

you cant go from "legalize industrial hemp" to "legalize hemp" to "legalize marijuana" to "Ron Paul gets stoned everyday."

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Ron Paul's actual message is more than enough to win support from marijuana users. If he did nto specifically say he wants to legalize marijuana, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE AD.

That is journalistic dishonesty.

you cant go from "legalize industrial hemp" to "legalize hemp" to "legalize marijuana" to "Ron Paul gets stoned everyday."

LOL I am sorry, but that was funny in some weird way in my head. I almost spit the food I was eating. You are right.

Industrial hemp is not marijuana. I have never smoked and even I know that much. Industrial hemp is used as food, medicine, plastics, makeup, clothing, paper etc.
It is non-psychoactive and only contains tiny amounts of THC. You don't smoke industrial hemp...Facts need checked here.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
In the interview, we discussed prostitution, drug use and gay marriage. Paul says these are not things that the federal government should try to control.

"I think the government's role should not be involved in personal habits. When you defend freedom, you defend freedom of choice, and you can't be picking and choosing how people use those freedoms . . .whether it's personal behavior or economic behavior, I want people to have freedom of choice," Paul asserted.

He believes the constitution says such issues should be left to the states to decide, and if a state chooses to legalize marijuana, cocaine, heroin and/or prostitution, so be it.

Overview of the Stossel interview. He wants to remove federal drug laws. He wants to federally legalize all drugs. If the states want to keep them illegal, they can.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=3970423&page=1

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Overview of the Stossel interview. He wants to remove federal drug laws.

Yes and he is not going to be putting in a federal law saying that marijuana is now legal. That is what you are all implying to the readers of Hightimes, which is incorrect. He would leave it up to the states and that reader's individual state may choose to keep it illegal. That is out of our control. We know he will "End the war on drugs", but we can't say he is going to legalize marijuana because it is simply NOT true. Now he has come out directly and said that he wants all regulations off of industrial hemp, so that is okay to put out there. Industrial hemp is not cannabis=marijuana as a few of you are stating.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
LOL I am sorry, but that was funny in some weird way in my head. I almost spit the food I was eating. You are right.

Industrial hemp is not marijuana. I have never smoked and even I know that much. Industrial hemp is used as food, medicine, plastics, makeup, clothing, paper etc.
It is non-psychoactive and only contains tiny amounts of THC. You don't smoke industrial hemp...Facts need checked here.

Educate yourself.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Cannabis_sativa.html

WebFX
12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
http://urbanized.ca/ronpaul/paulad-webfx2.jpg

Here is the corrected draft.

I incorporated as many changes as I could from the feedback. Some good ideas were not incorporated for one reason or another (space, focus, availability of images)

Points for discussion / outstanding issues:

* Some people suggested taking out the YouTube line, one person suggested just taking out the 2008 part. My feeling is the demographic reading HT is pretty web savvy and will respond to that call to action.

* There still seems to be some disagreement on how to word Dr. Paul's exact position on legalization of marijuana. We don't want to mislead anyone but at the same time the focus should be kept sharp. He wants to leave it to the states ... can anyone word this into a short sharp bullet point like the last one to replace it? If this can be done I am for that, otherwise I think it should be kept as is.

(Maybe "Ron Paul wants to end the federal prohibition on cannabis (marijuana)"?)

* Some people still want to have a poll/vote

GoRon2008: You are right that it is a very traditional looking ad -- I made a considered choice to approach it like that for a couple of reasons.

1) As opposed to trying to blend in with the style of the other ads in the magazine, this will be a marked departure and will stand out because of the contrast between it and the other ads in the magazine. It is a refreshing break of style for the eye for the reader from the rest of the ads for seeds, glassware, clothing, growing etc.

2) Minimization of possible blowback; we don't want something grungy looking (from a Republican primary voter's standpoint) that they can flash up on CNN or Fox during a hitpiece. We are disarming the MSM trolls under the bridge before they have a chance. (there is no liability to the appearance of this ad, it is clean and presidential)

3) The ad is intended to activate a subset of readers; those who can be motivated to register and vote in their state's primary to vote for Dr. Paul. This subset of people does not need to be pandered to, they just need to be presented with the facts in a clear way. (not saying you are pandering, just that we don't need to dress up RP with an underground look, the message is powerful enough to stand on it's own) -- the question is not, what will appeal to High Times readers, but more acutely, what will appeal to High Times readers who will take the information, act on it, and tell their friends.

4) Many people who read cannabis mags do so in two ways, either both or either or -- a) they are reading somewhere where they are away from a computer, such as on a bus or at school etc... the ad gives them enough information on it's own where, after reading it, they are pretty informed already, enough to talk to other people about it, without yet even going to the website. b) They settle in and enjoy them like a warm bath, cover to cover -- we don't have to worry about grabbing their attention in a sensational way -- the very fact that a politician, not to mention a candidate for president (!), not to mention a Republican (!!) is advertising in "their" magazine is sensational enough to grab their interest.

If there is anything I left out that anyone still feels strongly about, please hit me again. The more people that we can make happy, the greater a chance we have of pulling this thing off!

btw, I kicked in $10 myself also, I will put in more as we keep rolling too :D

krott5333
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM

its funny to me because I could see myself getting stoned with RP, sitting around the oval office, just kicking it, ya know?

dmspilot00
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
If there is anything I left out that anyone still feels strongly about, please hit me again. The more people that we can make happy, the greater a chance we have of pulling this thing off!
Hi, good job!

- Put "End the War on Drugs" at the top instead of "Ron Paul for President"
- Put "Vote [or Elect] Ron Paul for President" in place of "Help Ron Paul End..."

...because I think putting 'End the War on Drugs' in the larger text at top would grab people's attention better.

I am not sure about the controversial 'legalization' wording. Is that last point even necessary? Because it said he voted for the legalization in the first point, it's kind of redundant. Also, if you do keep that part, it is not really necessary to put "cannabis" and then "marijuana" in parenthesis next to it, as I'm sure the target audience knows what it means.

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Educate yourself.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Cannabis_sativa.html

And I stand by what I have said.

There are different varieties.

1. Q: What is Industrial Hemp?
A: Industrial Hemp is a number of varieties of Cannabis sativa L. that are intended for agricultural and industrial purposes. They are grown for their seed and fiber content as well as the resulting byproducts such as oil, seed cake, hurds, etc. Industrial Hemp is characterized by being low in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) and high in CBD (cannabidiol). THC is less than 1% and in Canada and Europe the current legal level for cultivation is 0.3%. The ratio of CBD to THC is greater than one.

2. Q: What is marijuana?
A: Marijuana is a preparation made from varieties of Cannabis sativa L. that are intended for medical and recreational drug use. They are grown for their THC content, primarily in the flowering tops and to a lesser extent in the leaves. Cannabis sativa L. grown for marijuana is characterized by being high in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) and low in CBD (cannabidiol). The THC content is greater than 1%, usually 3% to 20%. The ratio of CBD to THC is less than one.

3. Q: Is Industrial Hemp marijuana?
A: No. Even though they both come from Cannabis sativa L., the varieties that are used to make Industrial Hemp products (seed, fiber, etc.) and those that are used to make marijuana (flowering tops and leaves) are distinctly different. They are scientifically different and are cultivated in very different ways.

I think you need to do some research.

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
its funny to me because I could see myself getting stoned with RP, sitting around the oval office, just kicking it, ya know?

haha That would be priceless. :D

fogger
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
This goes for all our communications. I'd like to stress something like:

Ron Paul WILL be President if you register and vote in your state's primary.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
It is the same plant. It has multiple uses.
Ron Paul has been consistent in his view.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

krott5333
12-10-2007, 11:35 PM

thats your source? a phrase on the front of a magazine?

cmon, you should know better.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, I guess the controversial line is "Ron Paul supports full legalization of cannabis."

We should probably replace it with something non-subjective, such as his opposition to the rave act. "Voted against the 'Rave Act'"

Or perhaps something general such as "Wants to reduce the role the federal government plays in our lives"

Or maybe a call to action such as "Register to vote NOW!"

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 11:37 PM
thats your source? a phrase on the front of a magazine?

cmon, you should know better.

Perhaps you should read the whole article.

ClockwiseSpark
12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
And I stand by what I have said.

There are different varieties.

1. Q: What is Industrial Hemp?
A: Industrial Hemp is a number of varieties of Cannabis sativa L. that are intended for agricultural and industrial purposes. They are grown for their seed and fiber content as well as the resulting byproducts such as oil, seed cake, hurds, etc. Industrial Hemp is characterized by being low in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) and high in CBD (cannabidiol). THC is less than 1% and in Canada and Europe the current legal level for cultivation is 0.3%. The ratio of CBD to THC is greater than one.

2. Q: What is marijuana?
A: Marijuana is a preparation made from varieties of Cannabis sativa L. that are intended for medical and recreational drug use. They are grown for their THC content, primarily in the flowering tops and to a lesser extent in the leaves. Cannabis sativa L. grown for marijuana is characterized by being high in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) and low in CBD (cannabidiol). The THC content is greater than 1%, usually 3% to 20%. The ratio of CBD to THC is less than one.

3. Q: Is Industrial Hemp marijuana?
A: No. Even though they both come from Cannabis sativa L., the varieties that are used to make Industrial Hemp products (seed, fiber, etc.) and those that are used to make marijuana (flowering tops and leaves) are distinctly different. They are scientifically different and are cultivated in very different ways.
I think you need to do some research.

A preparation eh? This little tidbit is a bit misleading and that's not the only part I find questionable.

Scientifically different ways? That's a bit of an overstatement.

Not quite sure where it is you got this or why you are posting it as factual but I suggest you do some more research. This is obviously biased.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Let's get back to the ad. The controversial line is "Ron Paul supports full legalization of cannabis." I don't have a problem with it but since a lot of people do we should replace it, it isn't exactly fundamental to the ad. The main thing is getting an ad that we all feel comfortable contributing to.

We should probably replace it with something non-subjective, such as his opposition to the rave act. "Voted against the 'Rave Act'"

Or perhaps something general such as "Wants to reduce the role the federal government plays in our lives"

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 11:41 PM

Going with the bird theme here. ;)

There are different varieties of birds. A blue jay and a hawk are obviously both birds, but clearly not the same bird.

This is the same for hemp. I am not sure exactly what the restrictions are on industrial hemp. I think I saw you needed a permit that no one has been able to obtain. In Canada it must have less than 0.30% of THC. If you sold that to someone on the street to smoke, they would come back and beat you up for ripping them off. Real marijuana has 1% up to 20% THC in it. Clearly not the SAME thing.

ClockwiseSpark
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Let's get back to the ad. The controversial line is "Ron Paul supports full legalization of cannabis." I don't have a problem with it but since a lot of people do we should replace it, it isn't exactly fundamental to the ad. The main thing is getting an ad that we all feel comfortable contributing to.

The catch phrase doesn't have to do with drugs or anything like that. It could be something simple like, "Ron Paul wants you to be Free" or some variation. Then a quote below and the relevent parts of his voting record.

krott5333
12-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Wrong.

HEMP=CANNABIS=MARIJUANA
Same plant, different names.

what part of "non-psychoactive" dont you understand?

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Use the quote from 1988.

"I support the abolition of drugs laws for two reasons" Paul says."One,the government should't have the right to tell people what to do with their own bodies. Two, drug laws don't work. One is a moral arguement. the second is an economic position."

krott5333
12-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Use the quote from 1988.

see.. valid quotes and sources, now were getting somewhere.

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 11:54 PM
what part of "non-psychoactive" dont you understand?

Yes that is my whole point of listing those three things.

Pcosmar you posted this yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamor View Post

Quote:
Washington, DC -- For the second time since the federal government outlawed hemp farming in the United States, a federal bill has been introduced that would remove restrictions on the cultivation of non-psychoactive industrial hemp. The chief sponsor of H.R. 1009,

HEMP=Cannabis=Marijuana

Try smoking some non-psychoactive hemp hahah

Arklatex
12-10-2007, 11:54 PM
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=ron+paul+marijuana&search=Search

all the quotes you'd ever want

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 11:55 PM
see.. valid quotes and sources, now were getting somewhere.
I had posted it.

That was for those that can't click a link.

Just put "Ron Paul wants to legalize Cannabis."
The folks that read the magazine will understand.

Marijuana is just the Spanish name.

krott5333
12-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I strongly support the placement of such an ad regardless. I'll be donating soon.

synthetic
12-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi, good job!

- Put "Vote [or Elect] Ron Paul for President" in place of "Help Ron Paul End..."

...because I think putting 'End the War on Drugs' in the larger text at top would grab people's attention better.

+1

The ad could almost run in Business Week. Its way to contemporary for the Hightimes audience. Take some chances and keep in mind these readers want to see 6 foot blunts and basketball size buds.

Birdlady
12-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I say take it out and say he raised 4.3 million in one day. Make him seem like he has a chance to actually win the White House.

krott5333
12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
+1

The ad could almost run in Business Week. Its way to contemporary for the Hightimes audience. Take some chances and keep in mind these readers want to see 6 foot blunts and basketball size buds.

I disagree.

krott5333
12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Hi, good job!

I am not sure about the controversial 'legalization' wording. Is that last point even necessary? Because it said he voted for the legalization in the first point, it's kind of redundant. Also, if you do keep that part, it is not really necessary to put "cannabis" and then "marijuana" in parenthesis next to it, as I'm sure the target audience knows what it means.

I agree with all of this.

WebFX
12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
$74.20!!!

RP HT ChipIn (http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad)

fortilite
12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Yeah, let's get rid of the "support the full legalization of marijuana" and replace it with some call to action like "The Revolution is in full swing, register now!" or something

jgmaynard
12-11-2007, 12:29 AM
What's wrong with just "Ron Paul would end the Federal War on Marijuana and let states decide their own policies?"

JM

fortilite
12-11-2007, 12:32 AM
What's wrong with just "Ron Paul would end the Federal War on Marijuana and let states decide their own policies?"

JM

That would be great. Although the point right above it kind of says that so it might appear redundant.

hillertexas
12-11-2007, 01:49 AM

He implied it here...
http://ianschwartz.com/2007/11/26/video-ron-paul-on-the-issue-of-medical-marijuana/
"I would never use the federal government to enforce a law against anybody who uses marijuana"
He then goes on to talk about how bad the War on Drugs is.

jrich4rpaul
12-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Need something aiming more toward "Must Register Republican" on the bottom there rather than "Register to vote in the republican primaries". What's there now doesn't really point out Democrats cant vote for him.

hillertexas
12-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Perhaps you should read the whole article.

OK...sold! I think saying Ron Paul is for the legalization of marijuana is accurate. And I think it should be included in the ad. This seems to be his personal preference and he knows that it would not be up to him...just the states.

So, "Ron Paul will legalize marijuana" is false
But "Ron Paul supports the legalization of marijuana" is accurate

fortilite
12-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Good news: We CAN get good placement, and the circulation is 206,000.

Bad news: We barely have any donations. This isn't going to happen if you don't chip-in now. We have a Friday deadline. (http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad)

vinwal
12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Can High Times provide this ad a donation at cost, or maybe ask employees to help fund this ad. After all Dr. Paul is trying to bring about a High Times dream come true. Have you contacted NORML to see if they would help fund this ad? :cool:

OferNave
12-11-2007, 10:02 AM
206,000 circulation for $3.6k!? That's a steal compared to the Carbondale ad, that was 40k circulation for $3k. Plus this is way more targeted.

This is a great deal! Everyone please donate!

OferNave
12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Can High Times provide this ad a donation at cost, or maybe ask employees to help fund this ad. After all Dr. Paul is trying to bring about a High Times dream come true. Have you contacted NORML to see if they would help fund this ad? :cool:

Good point. Try to negotiate a deal, like llepard did, appealing on the fact that we're a grassroots movement, and that we're serving their cause. Tell them how USA Today gave us a huge discount.

hasan
12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
im not sure but i think the carbondale ad got canceled. is it possible to transfer the donations for that ad to this one if the donors consent?

OferNave
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
im not sure but i think the carbondale ad got canceled. is it possible to transfer the donations for that ad to this one if the donors consent?

Yes, it was cancelled and all the funds returned to the donors (I know, I was one). I was just using the numbers from that ad as a basis of comparison to evaluate the return on investment of this ad.

trey4sports
12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
im sellig some car audio equipment, hopefully i can chip in 100 bucks or so on friday

defcreative
12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Here is my entry for those who wish to see:

http://www.global-netventures.com/defcreativepaulad25.jpg

I decided that the reader who we will be trying to reach will not be interested in reading about politics while reading in high times. Therefore, I have taken a bit of a different approach for getting the reader's attention.

Feedback is welcome.

krott5333
12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
post this on the marihemp forums.

krott5333
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM

I decided that the reader who we will be trying to reach will not be interested in reading about politics while reading in high times. Therefore, I have taken a bit of a different approach for getting the reader's attention.

Feedback is welcome.

EXCELLENT!

fortilite
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Posted a poll, we'll see which one is picked.

Let's get the ad running! (http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad)

TheHand
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
You guys might consider contacting NORML for some support. http://norml.org/

fortilite
12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
We haven't gotten any response from them for an offical endorsement, not even an autoreply email. I'll send one but I doubt it will do anything.

TheHand
12-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I just emailed http://www.marijuananews.com/ about doing a Ron Paul story and specifically mentioning your effort. Hope it helps as I feel it would be right up their ally.

fortilite
12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Can everyone on MySpace help post bulletins? Let's not miss this opportunity!

TheHand
12-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Dang. Just noticed they already did an article on the 10th! Grrrr.

fortilite
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
The widget is messed up, we are at about $600 at the time of this post. And I want to thank Jeff for his very generous contribution of $500!

TheHand
12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Bump

fortilite
12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Bump

Let's get this in here! 206,000 TARGETED circulation for only $3600, perfect magazine timing. This is prime!

krott5333
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
chipped in $10. I cant afford to donate any more til the 16th

fortilite
12-11-2007, 07:58 PM
At $620 / $3600

Geronimo
12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Official Bump

WebFX
12-11-2007, 09:28 PM
$641 / 9 contributors

keep it going!

kherty
12-11-2007, 10:15 PM
I would suggest the following:

1.) Contact the campaign to see what position they would want advertised in this type of forum

Once you get the message correct then:

2.) Reach out to the Cannibis forums to get the feedback of the audience to see what targeted approach works best.

Don't rush this thing unless you get it right!

OferNave
12-12-2007, 01:40 AM
This is ad is an absolute bargain - I don't understand why you guys aren't funding it better.

I just donated another $500 to kick start the momentum. Who's gonna step up?

The Carbondale ad was funded for about the same amount. This has five times the circulation, and is far more targeted. Plus, people actually read ads in magazines, unlike newspapers. So not funding this ad is completely irrational.

fortilite
12-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Thank you Ofer! We are now 1/3rd of the way there. Where are other places we can let people know about this drive?

OferNave
12-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I've noticed it's very effective, once you're done designing are in the fundraising phase, to start a new thread and include in the title:

1) the fundraising goal
2) what percentage has been raised so far
3) the due date

Something like "High Times ad currently 52% to $2k - needed by Thu Dec 13"

literatim
12-12-2007, 08:35 AM
This is ad is an absolute bargain - I don't understand why you guys aren't funding it better.

I just donated another $500 to kick start the momentum. Who's gonna step up?

The Carbondale ad was funded for about the same amount. This has five times the circulation, and is far more targeted. Plus, people actually read ads in magazines, unlike newspapers. So not funding this ad is completely irrational.

$3600 is not a bargain for a magazine ad.

Stealth4
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Ron Paul is for the full legalization of marijuana? I thought he was OK with it for medical use (prescription), but not something you can buy in the store off the shelf.

1913_to_2008
12-12-2007, 08:43 AM
$3600 is not a bargain for a magazine ad.

For such a targeted ad this is a awesome deal. There isn't a smoker out there that wouldn't vote for Paul, if they here the message. These people have given up on politics being mistreated and abused their whole lives because of their habits. They're not out searching for a candidate because they know that nobody is ever on their side.

If they see that ad in high times they will vote for Paul. This is probably the best targeted ad yet. Plus smokers have friends over to enjoy their products with. This is when they can show their friends the ad and say dude check this shit out.

BOTTOM LINE This ad will produce 10's of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of votes.

krott5333
12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
make sure there is something about "voting in your states primary" on the ad.

OferNave
12-12-2007, 11:41 AM
bump

maeqFREEDOMfree
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
looks great! if you need anymore help with the graphics/ layout let me know...

maximus_bollox911@yahoo.com

fortilite
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
We're almost at 50%! But this is going to go down to the wire. Can someone please post this at Daily Paul?

AtomiC
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Feedback is welcome.

Wow this is the best one by FAR!!! You have to realize that a lot of readers love to read the magazine just for the amazing pictures of bud, and that picture would definitely catch your attention.

Trust me I'm a stoner, I'd know. :D

OferNave
12-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I've noticed it's very effective, once you're done designing are in the fundraising phase, to start a new thread and include in the title:

1) the fundraising goal
3) the due date

Something like "High Times ad currently 52% to $2k - needed by Thu Dec 13".

tamor
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
bump

fortilite
12-12-2007, 03:18 PM

1) the fundraising goal
3) the due date

Something like "High Times ad currently 52% to $2k - needed by Thu Dec 13".

Did one of those at your advice, I'll do another when I get home from work. Today has been a good day for donations so far.

JodieEmery
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Our magazine, Cannabis Culture, prints approximately 66,000 copies with a mostly-American audience. Our website is also frequented by US citizens -- www.CannabisCulture.com -- as are our MySpace and Facebook accounts, with thousands of fans and friends.

Cannabis Culture Magazine has been promoting Ron Paul since 2006 when the publisher and editor Marc Emery (my husband) analyzed every voting record of all US Representatives for issue #62's "Voter's Guide" and RON PAUL came out on top. Marc Emery has been a fan and follower of Ron Paul since the 1980s, and since 2006 we've featured Ron Paul promotions regularly.

The next issue of our magazine, #69 (out in mid-January) has me on the cover looking quite lovely (I'm already the "Ron Paul - Liberty Turns Me On" girl you may have seen online, the brunette in the white bikini) with a 2x5-inch RON PAUL promotion in the bottom left corner of the cover including Ron Paul's face, name, website, and 6 reasons for our audience to vote for Ron Paul.

We also have a centerfold in the same issue saying "RON PAUL - President 2008 - Champion of the Constitution" with 3 web addresses: RonPaul2008.com, DailyPaul.com, and RonPaulRadio.com. The poster can be used anywhere, and doesn't have pot leafs on it. Great for everyone to use.

In issue #62 we had the voter guide. Ron Paul got heavy promotion for being the best Representative for freedom, liberty, peace, and ending the War on Drugs (which was a prelude to the War on Terror). That in-depth analysis, which Marc spent months creating, is available at our website: http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4806.html

Issue #65 was out all-activist issue and featured the article "For the Presidency of the United States", which offered insight into Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich (to have both a Republican and Democrat endorsed). You can find that article on our website too: http://cannabisculture.com/articles/4910.html

Issue #67's Letter From the Editor (by Marc) endorsed Ron Paul heavily, and the photo was Marc in his popular Ron Paul Revolution shirt holding his "Prince of Pot" bong. That issue's cover also had www.RonPaul2008.com as the little "quote" next to the bar code, which we always switch up.

Issue #68, our currently-on-stands issue, has an article called "Your Next President On Drugs" and looks at every candidate's stance on the drug war, medical marijuana, hemp, etc. -- and of course, Ron Paul is the star of the show. That article can be seen at our website too, along with collected YouTube videos of every candidate commenting on drugs/marijuana. http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/5101.html

So.... I don't know if High Times supports Ron Paul, but they'll certainly take money -- they take money from anyone and everyone, even questionable sources... (the notoriously dubious fake bud ads from "International Oddities" litter every few pages, ads we refuse to take no matter how much money it might give us). Marc and I control our magazine and oversee every aspect of it -- we have only 5 employees, and very high standards! -- and that's why Ron Paul gets extreme promotion from us for free.

Hundreds of people have registered Republican, joined Ron Paul's campaign, donated money to him, turn into Ron Paulites like us, and done evem more because of our efforts. They write to Marc and I daily, letting us know that they found out about Ron Paul through us, online or in CC magazine, or at www.Pot.tv or in person, or at our very popular store (Marc Emery's Cannabis Culture Headquarters) in downtown Vancouver... or even through our Vancouver Meet-Up group!

Marc and I also have a radio show on RonPaulRadio.com and currently we have an offer circulating for people who donate to Ron Paul -- they can get free personalized autographed centerfolds and posters of me and/or Marc (1: my famous CC centerfold, or 2: my "Liberty Turns Me On" Ron Paul promotion; or 3: Marc's Revolution-shirt picture) ... just email Jodie@cannabisculture.com with the confirmation email, your name and mailing address.

RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!

Oh, and for other Ron Paul & Marc Emery info... read the Seattle Weekly News article from a while ago... it's promotion, one way or another! http://cannabisculture.com/articles/5045.html

Marc is a friend of Lew Rockwell, because Marc has been one of Canada's only leading Libertarian advocates, ever since he was a fan of Ron Paul. Read these Lew Rockwell website articles about Marc: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/cust3.html and http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig5/cust2.html

Also.... just one last little note... The recent Ron Paul article in Rolling Stone magazine was written by Tim Dickenson, who wroite about Marc Emery years ago. Marc contacted Dickenson after a previous article had said "all GOP candidates are for the Iraq war", encouraging Dickenson to take a closer look at Ron Paul. Dickenson later produced that excellent article; and though I imagine many others let him know that Ron Paul exists, Marc has a personal relationship with that journalist -- as Marc has been a media magnet since he was 17 -- and it seems to have had some good impact. :)

DahuiHeeNalu
12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
can u send me the rest of the ad's i got alot of head shops around here and i only have 2 version thanks pm them to me a link please if possible!

tamor
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
bump

fortilite
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
can u send me the rest of the ad's i got alot of head shops around here and i only have 2 version thanks pm them to me a link please if possible!

Here are various ads:

http://urbanized.ca/ronpaul/paulad-webfx2.jpg
http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft6.pdf
http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_7125x9875.JPG
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL-1.jpg

tsetsefly
12-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Our magazine, Cannabis Culture, prints approximately 66,000 copies with a mostly-American audience. Our website is also frequented by US citizens -- www.CannabisCulture.com -- as are our MySpace and Facebook accounts, with thousands of fans and friends.

long read, but good to hear, we need to get this ad published!

fortilite
12-12-2007, 07:57 PM

That's very cool, glad to hear you are fighting the good fight.

Storm3
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Can foreigners donate? I got $500 to donate to this VERY worthwhile project.

TheHand
12-12-2007, 09:23 PM
It's not associated with the official campaign so my guess is yes. Anyone else know?

1913_to_2008
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Bump We need this ad! This wlil be in the mind of thousands of people perfect for the message of RP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheHand
12-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Bump... Someone please officially answer Storm3. He is willing to donate $500!

fortilite
12-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Can foreigners donate? I got $500 to donate to this VERY worthwhile project.

I'm not sure, I'll look it up.

Edit Yes, I think so! MoveOn.Org get's 1/3rd of it's donations from foreigners.

enjoiskaterguy
12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Paul also introduced legislation to legalize hemp.

yes...Great stuff. PUT THIS INFO IN THERE(but put it in your own words of course and summerize it.)

Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007

On February 13, 2007 Rep. Ron Paul introduced H.R. 1009, the "Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007," with nine original co-sponsors: Representatives Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Barney Frank (D-MA), Raśl Grijalva (D-AZ), Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), Jim McDermott (D-WA), George Miller (D-CA), Pete Stark (D-CA), and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA).

more info here...

http://www.votehemp.com/legislation.html

fortilite
12-12-2007, 11:15 PM
It's too late for any major changes to the ad, we are giving the final files to them tomorrow (Thursday). Thank you for your suggestion though.

The Good Doctor
12-12-2007, 11:54 PM
This is bullshit. Why do you keep asking us to vote and then deny the proper ad? You suck. That is all I am going to say. Bait and swith motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Storm3
12-13-2007, 12:50 AM
$500 from me.

Enjoy :)

71%

defcreative
12-13-2007, 02:36 AM
$500 from me.

Enjoy :)

71%

Thank you very much for your contribution! :)

RonPaulFever
12-13-2007, 02:42 AM
"legalization" should be changed to "decriminalization"

Storm3
12-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Something I don't get. In this video released by High Times TV the presenter is sitting with an edition of High Time January... already printed!

How can our ad go into the January edition if its already printed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcXFMe5XpI

defcreative
12-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Something I don't get. In this video released by High Times TV the presenter is sitting with an edition of High Time January... already printed!

How can our ad go into the January edition if its already printed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcXFMe5XpI

That was no doubt an early proof of just the content without the advertising in yet.

Aka, content *minus* ads.

It was no doubt just for the January issue promotion.

Storm3
12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
That was no doubt an early proof of just the content without the advertising in yet.

Aka, content *minus* ads.

It was no doubt just for the January issue promotion.

Thank you defcreative, I guess you are right.

Fortilite, can you confirm this?

fortilite
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
If this isn't going in the January issue I am refunding everyones money. No way are we donating for a February issue!

krott5333
12-13-2007, 11:20 AM
"RON PAUL" is somewhat difficult to read..

either change it to a shade of one color, or outline it in white.

krott5333
12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
someone mustve just chipped in a few hundred bucks!

fortilite
12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Someone did $1100!

Now let's get the gun magazine ad:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=52568

JodieEmery
12-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Yes, the January issue of High Times is already made and out.

I think you have an ad in February's issue, but that will be available in January.

Biodemocracy
12-29-2007, 02:19 AM
I just got a message from "Girls Gone Weed": http://www.myspace.com/theggdubgang

And they said they would run your ad on their website: http://www.ggdub.com/

for $300 a month where it would get roughly 60,000 hits a day.

Any thoughts?

MBA
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Is the magazine out yet?

fortilite
12-30-2007, 10:44 PM
On the 11th

MBA
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Just picked up that latest issue of High Times, and there is NO RON PAUL AD...

WHAT THE F?CK??

MBA
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry to keep bumping this folks but I just got a very rude PM from one of the people involved with this project, and I am sorry to say but I really am disgusted by the tone taken by the childish kid who tells me that I should f*ck off for asking where did the money go?

The chipin page said if it wasn't in the January issue he was going to refund and skip the ad in High Times as we didn't want a February ad... Now that I've got the Feb issue of the magazine this clown is now telling me it's coming in the March issue to hit the streets between January 11-16th..

Which is absolutely hilarious because anyone with a copy of the magazine can look at the "Next Month in High Times" (p. 110) that says "On Sale March 22nd Don't Miss It!"

Unf?ckingbelievable.

MBA
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh yeah... one other thing...

If we miss our deadline we will refund all donations. There is little point in using them for an ad in the February issue, January is what we need to get people registered in time.

So February Issue was not worthy but a March Issue is?

GoRon2008
01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
whats going on here?

MBA
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
whats going on here?

That's a great question~~ Now I know I'm not the only one who is curious to know the answer too.

fortilite
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
1st

Nope, everything is fine. It is gonna be circulated on the 11th (or 14th depending on where you live)

2nd

Everything is not fine as there is NO RON PAUL AD in the latest issue of High Times.

3rd

It's not even out yet. Where did you get the latest one?

4th

Barnes and Noble. High Times is a local rag for me and in it, it is says Next issue, March 22nd...

5th

So yours is the March one? That's the one it's in, and it's getting released on the 11th.

6th

No, it's the February Issue, and you said it was going to be in the January Issue with the chipin.

I will check back in a week to see if there is any change... but seriously man, this was very deceptive.

7th

Fuck you, you aren't even talking about the right issue. The January issue was released 2 months ago. The February issue was released last month. Do some fucking research before you give anyone any shit.

There's our conversation today. I have told this %#$# multiple times it is labeled the MARCH issue and is coming out on the 11th but this guy keeps harrassing me about the february issue. Who is the childish one? MBA is repeatedly PMing me about the WRONG issue and he never listens when I tell him it's on the 11th and is labeled the march issue. Face it MBA, you're just a dummy.

Keep in mind these exchanges with him today weren't the first ones I had with him about this issue. He has to have been told at least 5 times already.

MBA
01-05-2008, 12:59 PM
WTF? I'm harassing you when I ask where the ad is when you yourself said...

If we miss our deadline we will refund all donations. There is little point in using them for an ad in the February issue, January is what we need to get people registered in time.

Now it's going to be in a March issue? and I'm the dummy?

fortilite
01-05-2008, 01:02 PM
For the 6th time: The March issue comes out on the 11th of JANUARY.

And you are now on ignore.

RPSignbomb
01-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Another waste of grassroot money - people who read hightimes might smoke alot of weed and blog but they are as hell don't vote.

fortilite
01-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Another waste of grassroot money - people who read hightimes might smoke alot of weed and blog but they are as hell don't vote.

LOL, neither do people in Wyoming appearantly. :eek:

MBA
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
That's not true at all RPSignbomb... Many of the people I know that read High Times are very supportive and involved in the political process.

What pisses me off about this is the outright deception.

In fact I'd even go so far as to call it FRAUDULENT.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-05-2008, 01:10 PM
That ad looks fantasic. Great job!

pcosmar
01-05-2008, 01:14 PM

I vote.
I also voted for Carter, because he was going to decriminalize Marijuana.
I had the same hope with Clinton, the first time around.
Can you say "Broken Promise".

jahazii
01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Well from my understanding this issue comes out within a week or two so no reason to get upset.

Sey.Naci
01-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm with fortilite. MBA et al should damn well stop the harrassment, because that's what it has become.

A) Anyone who knows anything about magazine publishing knows that issues go into production AT LEAST two months before they are intended to hit the shelves.

B) All but magazines with the lowest subscription numbers will have their MARCH issues out this month, January. Check the damn shelves yourselves!

This means that if you want an ad placed in a major or mid-size magazine, e.g., and you start negotiations and production of the ad today, you cannot expect to see it in print until at least March, more likely April and the issue will be marked May or June, respectively.

Therefore, fortilite COULD NOT HAVE been negotiating to place an ad for "the January issue," since that issue would already have been on the shelves in NOVEMBER 2007! That he may have innocently misspoken is ALL that he is guilty of - and when have any of us not done that?

It can be confusing for people who have never done this before. But fortilite is right that the March issue will in on the shelves soon. Watch for it within the next ten days.

slamhead
01-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Good Job Guys!!

MBA
01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
What harassment?

I've been called a dummy and told to fuck off when asking about the status of the ad that I contributed funds to which was "sold" as appearing in the January issue...

You want to call it an "innocent mistake" that's fine.

Even in your post Sey, you acknowledge that there was no way this was getting in the January issue, and that's what the root of my issue with this is...the "deception" is what's wrong with this picture and the subsequent insults and the audacity of telling a contributor to fuck off..

Storm3
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Im just catching up on this now. Did anyone get the March issue yet?

TheHand
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
bump

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Lame.

dawnbt
01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Lame.

That's not true at all!;)

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-14-2008, 10:51 AM

The head shops in San Antonio are promoting RP more than any other businesses around. They ALL have 4' x 8' signs displayed. They are distributing a ton of literature, bumper stickers, etc. for us. Your statement is completely ignorant.

MBA
01-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Im just catching up on this now. Did anyone get the March issue yet?

I'm waiting 'til tomorrow, the 16th to head back over to the Barnes and Nobel to see if there is in fact a different issue...

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Just picked it up at a Planet K in San Antonio. Looks great!

-lotus-
01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
i am printing this out and taking it to every head shop i can find in san diego...

fortilite
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Just picked it up at a Planet K in San Antonio. Looks great!

Cool, can't wait to see it. They were supposed to send me one but I think I'll have to buy it off the stands this afternoon.

TheHand
01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Great job! I just thumbed through a copy and the ad had great placement and looked good! Thank you for your efforts!

fortilite
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
The ad does look great, it uses the same blacklight inspired color scheme as the rest of the ads. I've gotta say, Hightimes has certainly improved in print and layout quality since the last time I got ahold of an issue.

AzNsOuLjAh27
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
That is fuckin beautiful!!!