PDA

View Full Version : GA Thousands drop out of food stamp program due to work requirement.

phill4paul
05-27-2017, 06:18 AM
I changed the title of the article slightly for the thread header. ;)

Thousands dropped from food stamps due to work requirements

Thousands of Georgians have lost their food stamps after the state gave them an ultimatum: Get a job or lose your benefits.

Is that good news or bad news? Depends who you talk to. Placing work requirements on food stamps has proven controversial across the country, with opinions often divided along political lines.

Georgia has been rolling out work requirements for food stamp recipients for over a year. The latest round affected some 12,000 people in 21 counties, several in metro Atlanta, who are considered able-bodied without children.

When the April 1 deadline came around for them to find work, more than half — 7,251 — were dropped from the program, according to state figures released this week. Essentially, the number of recipients spiraled down from 11,779 to 4,528, or a drop of 62 percent.

Views on the work mandate vary widely, and intensely. People on the political right see the requirement as a nudge to those who languish on public benefits. But those on the left believe many people who the state deems able-bodied really cannot hold a job due to physical or mental limitations. And they worry these people will suffer without the assistance.

State officials say they plan to expand the work requirements to all 159 counties by 2019, with another 60 coming on board next year.

The state began implementing the work requirements in 2016 with Cobb, Gwinnett and Hall counties. The state gave recipients there three months to find a job or training program or lose their benefits. A year later, the number of able-bodied, childless adults in those counties diminished 75 percent from 6,102 to 1,490, according to DFCS figures. The state selects counties with relatively low unemployment rates for the work requirements.

http://www.myajc.com/news/breaking-news/thousands-dropped-from-food-stamps-due-work-requirements/nAcoTvoPq4LBO0u42Z8CTP/

These are the requirements strangely missing from the AJC article:

Those who receive benefits and are deemed able bodied adults without dependents must work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in state-approved job training, or volunteer for a state-approved non-profit or charity.

tod evans
05-27-2017, 06:36 AM
Look for a major influx into state prisons, there's plenty of free grub, showers and bunks plus all their old friends are there..

That or an exodus to Ill...

ghengis86
05-27-2017, 06:43 AM
"But those on the left believe many people who the state deems able-bodied really cannot hold a job due to physical or mental limitations."

"Those who receive benefits and are deemed able bodied adults without dependents must work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in state-approved job training, or volunteer for a state-approved non-profit or charity."

I'm good with this.

tod evans
05-27-2017, 06:52 AM
"But those on the left believe many people who the state deems able-bodied really cannot hold a job due to physical or mental limitations."

"Those who receive benefits and are deemed able bodied adults without dependents must work at least 20 hours a week, be enrolled in state-approved job training, or volunteer for a state-approved non-profit or charity."

I'm good with this.

Free food should be a local church thing not a government program...

I bet there's more tax-dollars wasted on 'administration' (tax-ticks) than on actual food.

phill4paul
05-27-2017, 06:58 AM
Free food should be a local church thing not a government program...

I bet there's more tax-dollars wasted on 'administration' (tax-ticks) than on actual food.

Yup. And another excerpt from the article...

DFCS officials say they have repeatedly reached out to these recipients, offering them help with job searches and training. The agency has a $505,706 contract with Goodwill of North Georgia to help people get training and connections to employers.

WTF is Goodwills Industries a non-profit business getting a damned penny from the government taxpayers?

tod evans
05-27-2017, 07:02 AM
WTF is Goodwills Industries a non-profit business getting a damned penny from the government taxpayers?

It's for the children!

Why do you hate the children?
;)

Anti Federalist
05-27-2017, 07:50 AM

I'll wager that many of the people they help are "people of color" as well.

Why are you a racist?

tod evans
05-27-2017, 07:55 AM
"people of color"

http://images.entertainment.ie/images_content/rectangle/620x372/2016-03-15-15_09_11-JLaw-Lets-Go-To-Formal---YouTube.png

Anti Federalist
05-27-2017, 07:58 AM
LOL @ "non profit"

Goodwill International CEO Jim Gibbons, earns a base salary of $434,252

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/07/30/does-goodwill-industries-exploit-disabled-workers/#3e1127b26a56

Worth clicking through to read that article.

Like so many billion dollar "charities", they got a nice little racket going.

Not that I'm opposed to making money, just soured on the idea when it's falsely presented as "benevolent altruism" instead of a money making operation.

Origanalist
05-27-2017, 08:06 AM
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/F8N625/homeless-young-man-begging-on-street-F8N625.jpg

Origanalist
05-27-2017, 08:07 AM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/homeless-young-man-begging-street-24386148.jpg

Origanalist
05-27-2017, 08:08 AM
http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/obamaguy.jpg

tod evans
05-27-2017, 08:13 AM
^^^^^ Those 'hungry' guys are wearing nicer clothes than I am right now. ^^^^^^^^

phill4paul
05-27-2017, 10:19 AM
LOL @ "non profit"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/07/30/does-goodwill-industries-exploit-disabled-workers/#3e1127b26a56

Worth clicking through to read that article.

Like so many billion dollar "charities", they got a nice little racket going.

Not that I'm opposed to making money, just soured on the idea when it's falsely presented as "benevolent altruism" instead of a money making operation.

A racket, indeed. As a "non-profit" the local Goodwill get's most of it's labor free of charge by allowing scofflaws to serve out their "community service." Those that are employed make minimum and work less than full time so as not to receive health insurance. I tell everyone I know to donate to the local church thrift-stores instead of supporting these fuckers. One local church org. in particular is a group called Exodus and they try to get ex-scofflaws back in the workforce. Anything that has to go, goes to them.

oyarde
05-27-2017, 10:24 AM
I donate nothing to good will and would donate nothing to food stamps as well . That is what the local church charities are for , the few who really need it at no expense to anyone as it is donated . Do not support your govt .

tod evans
05-27-2017, 10:49 AM
A racket, indeed. As a "non-profit" the local Goodwill get's most of it's labor free of charge by allowing scofflaws to serve out their "community service." Those that are employed make minimum and work less than full time so as not to receive health insurance. I tell everyone I know to donate to the local church thrift-stores instead of supporting these fuckers. One local church org. in particular is a group called Exodus and they try to get ex-scofflaws back in the workforce. Anything that has to go, goes to them.

The church we go to has it's own free shit sector, 2 houses they bought are filled top to bottom with 'stuff' that's given away to actual needy folks, people who church members verify are trying and are unable for one legitimate reason or another to obtain their families needs... No government oversight or intervention. Food, clothes, furniture, appliances even cars....

jkr
05-27-2017, 11:59 AM
long pitchforks...

Brian4Liberty
05-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Look for a major influx into state prisons, there's plenty of free grub, showers and bunks plus all their old friends are there..

That or an exodus to Ill...

Yeah, many will just move to a State with better handouts. "California here I come...."