PDA

View Full Version : how do we get the mid-upper class vote?

trey4sports
12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
how do we get the middle-upperclass family vote? have you guys found any tactics to get this vote? it seems to be the hardest to sell for me, i can tell young college kids and convince some ole timers but i cant get the middle-upperclass home (200 k per yr, big house, 2 kids, nice stuff)to be convinced, they just typically kind of smirk at some of the ideas (ending war on drugs, fed education, welfare) they try to say that then some states will become extremely rich and others will be poor and it will turn into chaos

Chibioz
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
isn't 200k per year more like upper middle class?

Van Damme
12-10-2007, 04:23 PM
isn't 200k per year more like upper middle class?

more like middle-upper class

jenninlouisiana
12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
To be honest, I am a member of that group and we're cool. I'm going to have lunch with DH tomorrow to talk it up. MANY people in my circle *love* Ron Paul but also many believe he isn't electable. Hopefully with our billboard, the sign wavings, etc, the more they see supporters the more they will come to believe that he can win!

BTW, I havent' encountered ANY resistence with this group on ending the war on drugs. You dont' have to be pro-drugs to understand the futility and wasteful spending of it. (well, this may be because it is a medical crowd).

And I haven't heard any resistance to ending welfare... are you kidding me... I mean we pay like $75,000 in taxes each year and *it* *isn't* *enough* I personally am sick and tired of being repeatedly punished because we are educated and pulled ourselves from a lower middle class existence. The government doesn't reward success. They punish you for it.

It sounds to me like it isn't the class of people per se... it is something else... like religious beliefs, etc.

(BTW, for those who are wondering, I have a chipin because I have maxxed out and am looking to do an AD on behalf of the meetup group... and don't want to make the meetup a PAC. so am trying to collect 999.00 to avoid that).

Chibioz
12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
middle upper class is way more than 200k per year i would think

krott5333
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
small business slim-jims to all business owners, and the tax-free tips slim jims to restaurants.

LynnB
12-10-2007, 04:30 PM
You just described me too! In fact, it's my KIDS (25-27-28) that were hard to bring around! I've got the oldest on board-She has a Ron Paul display on the counter of her shop, but my two others are so busy with getting their lives on track, they haven't ever even VOTED before! It's very hard to overcome their apathy for politics...but I'm working on it! That's why I'm so inspired by the enthusiasm the 18-30 group has for Dr. Paul. Actually, I'm sick to death of government intrusion into my life, and I'm certain that our foreign policy is deadly for America! That's my take...

trey4sports
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
You just described me too! In fact, it's my KIDS (25-27-28) that were hard to bring around! I've got the oldest on board-She has a Ron Paul display on the counter of her shop, but my two others are so busy with getting their lives on track, they haven't ever even VOTED before! It's very hard to overcome their apathy for politics...but I'm working on it! That's why I'm so inspired by the enthusiasm the 18-30 group has for Dr. Paul. Actually, I'm sick to death of government intrusion into my life, and I'm certain that our foreign policy is deadly for America! That's my take...

excellent

Van Damme
12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
middle upper class is way more than 200k per year i would think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_the_United_States

I always thought a salary of $100,000 per year was the threshold for being considered "upper class"

Edit: When classifying the upper-class, it becomes more important to consider net worth, rather than earnings per year.

bobmurph
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
ELIMINATE THE IRS!!!!!

200k/yr is the threshold for the top federal income tax bracket. These people get raped by the IRS.

jenninlouisiana
12-10-2007, 04:45 PM
That wikipedia article says members of the upper class do not need to work to maintain their status.

So that knocks out anyone who works for a living, no matter what their salary is.

Chernitsky
12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
he has my family's vote because he would save us a ton of money from less taxes

pretty straight forward question if you ask me

Elwar
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
No income tax.

'nuff said

Jordan
12-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Elimination of the IRS and social welfare programs.

jenninlouisiana
12-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I mean ask them to think in their head about what the exact number is of what they pay (in dollars) to the IRS.

beobeli
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
There are more of those supporters than you can see. They usually keep quiet, but I am discovering them more and more. And I am getting encouraged because there are at least 3-5X as many Ron Paul supporters than we can see. Two things that we could do to nudge them and reaffirm their support for Ron Paul, though, are:

1) get them to track Ron Paul on the Internet more actively
2) get them to dispel "non-electable" curse.

Because they don't see any coverage on the TV and don't use Internet as often as most of us, they fall into a depressive conclusion of "non-electable". Burn a DVD of youtube videos and give it to them. Email occasionally some interesting Internet links.

terryp
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Just started going door to door in the small city here in central Fl. I've also been hitting as many businesses as possible. The reaction from small business owners has been very good. Also some of the local meet up folks have been targeting holiday parades etc... , handing out slim jims in front of the Parade.

autobot
12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
How about ads in their homeowner association newsletters. This would be cheap and it would show that their peers support Ron Paul. Signs and Bumper stickers don't cut it with these folks.

PlaytoWin
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
I have been going around in my neighborhood and I think these are tops for myself and others:

No Income tax
No Death/Inheritance tax - most have children
They understand the financial dilemma our country is in terms of entitlement funding and the efffects it will have on their children

Also there are many that want out of Iraq and believe in the Constitution.

lucius
12-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I am sending out RP Christmas postcards to Dr./Dentists in San Antonio as we speak...

RCA
12-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I am sending out RP Christmas postcards to Dr./Dentists in San Antonio as we speak...

What type of postcards are you using?

rory096
12-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Stress that he's for smaller government and less taxes.

thehittgirl
12-10-2007, 09:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_class_in_the_United_States

I always thought a salary of $100,000 per year was the threshold for being considered "upper class"

Edit: When classifying the upper-class, it becomes more important to consider net worth, rather than earnings per year.

Yeah me too. Geez we're peasants here :o:p

Caravaggio
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Last weekend, I invited a group of 3 Executives for golf. Cost me over $500. Our 4-some has a combined annual income of nearly $2 million per year. I've been working on them for weeks now with respect to Dr. Paul. I have all their commitments for a Paul vote in the primaries. The issue of taxes is not what resonated with this group. But rather, sound monetary policy. Just my $.02.

Corydoras
12-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Lots of good ideas! One more:

Exchange rates and the devaluation of the dollar -- these people tend to travel a lot

lucius
12-11-2007, 01:35 AM
What type of postcards are you using?

Similar to this (1.67M download): http://www.mediamax.com/lucius_apuleius/Hosted/6f7705a6b5baf322e854v5.pdf