PDA

View Full Version : Black student group at UC Santa Cruz takes over Kerr hall

tod evans
05-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Bundy's take over a park and get arrested and it's a big deal about the crazy white devils and their 'assault weapons'.....

Black student group at UC Santa Cruz threatens more campus takeovers if additional demands not met

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32561/

University of California Santa Cruz administrators recently agreed to meet to all four demands lodged by a black student group who commandeered a campus building and would not leave until their conditions were met.

But in addition to the four initial stipulations, the group made three other demands to the university, and it has warned UC Santa Cruz that it has four months to comply with these demands or “more Reclamations” will result.

After three days of occupation by students of Kerr Hall, Chancellor George Blumenthal agreed to give all black and Caribbean-identified students a 4-year housing guarantee to live in the Rosa Parks African American Themed House; bring back the building’s lounge; paint its exterior the “Pan-Afrikan colors” of red, green and black; and force all new incoming students to go through a mandatory diversity competency training.

“The student demonstrators raised a number of issues with campus leaders, issues we fundamentally agree upon,” Blumenthal stated in a May 4 memo to the campus community announcing the concessions. “Students from historically underrepresented communities deal with real challenges on campus and in the community. These difficulties include things that many people take for granted, such as finding housing or even just a sense of community.”

Yet the African/Black Student Alliance also demanded three additional provisions from UC Santa Cruz within its initial “Reclamation Statement,” posted on the website of the Afrikan Black Coalition. The group stipulated that if by Fall Quarter 2017 the university does not provide “detailed plans” on how to fulfill its new demands, “there will be more Reclamations.”

“Reclamation” is how the student group referred to its aggressive three-day takeover of Kerr Hall.

The alliance’s three additional demands are that the university purchase a property “to serve as a low income housing cooperative for historically disadvantaged students,” that the university “allocate $100,000” for Santa Cruz’s “SOMeCA” student organization support department, and that the university create either a Black Studies department or a Black Studies Minor or Major.

The group promised that, if their demands are not met, UC Santa Cruz will “force [them] to have to take what [they] know to be in [their] best interest to Reclaim.”

The alliance’s list of demands concludes with a quote from Assata Shakur, a former member of the Black Panther Party and a convicted murderer: “It is our duty to fight for our freedom; It is our duty to win; We must love each other and support each other; We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

Blumenthal, in his memo to the campus community, had denounced taking over buildings as a means of protest, saying it displaced the campus community. It is unknown how campus leaders will respond to this latest threat.

A spokesman for UC Santa Cruz did not respond to a question from The College Fix on whether there will be any disciplinary action against the students who forcibly took over Kerr Hall. He only told The Fix that “safety” is the school’s top priority.

As for the student demonstrators, they reject the term “occupation” to describe their “reclamation” actions, claiming: “We are pushing back against the language of ‘occupation’ in recognition of the largely white-centric and fairly recent ‘Occupy Movement.’ We are pushing back against the language of ‘occupation’ in recognition of the very real settler occupations that are hxstorical [sic] and ongoing, such as the European colonization and occupation of ‘The Americas,’ as well as the current context of occupation in Palestine.”

Origanalist
05-11-2017, 10:50 AM
The universities are lost. They should be partitioned off and quarantined.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
they put all this effort into taking over a college then when they go into class they get C's and D's because of the white man keeping them down obviously

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Chancellor George Blumenthal agreed to give all black and Caribbean-identified students a 4-year housing guarantee

I smoked some really golden colored hash one time. Do I qualify?

Brian4Liberty
05-11-2017, 11:08 AM
After three days of occupation by students of Kerr Hall, Chancellor George Blumenthal agreed to give all black and Caribbean-identified students a 4-year housing guarantee to live in the Rosa Parks African American Themed House; bring back the building’s lounge; paint its exterior the “Pan-Afrikan colors” of red, green and black; and force all new incoming students to go through a mandatory diversity competency training.

Why do they need a "guarantee"? Was the house full? Was someone kicked out for misbehavior?

Why was the "lounge" closed in the first place?

Who cares about the color? (As long as this house is not in a non-university residential neighborhood.)

Why should these students dictate a mandatory training? Perhaps every student should be forced to take training and show proficiency in playing the banjo. Banjo players unite!

The alliance’s three additional demands are that the university purchase a property “to serve as a low income housing cooperative for historically disadvantaged students,” that the university “allocate $100,000” for Santa Cruz’s “SOMeCA” student organization support department, and that the university create either a Black Studies department or a Black Studies Minor or Major.

Purchase a property in an expensive area? Sure money is everywhere. And no doubt they don't want to pay any rent either. Sure no problem.

$100k for their support group? Sure money grows on trees.

A new department and a new major? Sure, why not. Every University should have every major known to man. No more speciality Universities. This won't cost anything, will it? Is there any way we can make this a Federal Law, to apply to all education, public and private?

dannno
05-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Why was the "lounge" closed in the first place?

In the article I read the other day, which I can't find anymore, I was under the impression that the Rosa Parks themed house had a first floor that used to be a lounge and was converted into housing - the upper floors have always had housing - I was also under the impression that they wanted "guaranteed" (aka FREE) housing in the Rosa Park themed house, AND they wanted the first floor converted back into a lounge. That doesn't make any sense though, how can they guarantee more students' housing while getting rid of rooms? So what I gathered from this article may be correct - I think they are asking for guaranteed housing (possibly somewhere else) and have the first floor converted back to a lounge.

Anti Federalist
05-11-2017, 11:26 AM
and force all new incoming students to go through a mandatory diversity competency training.

Fuck you, make me.

And kiss my ass, all you white, guilty, liberals still sending your children to places like this.

Fuck you too.

Brian4Liberty
05-11-2017, 11:31 AM
In the article I read the other day, which I can't find anymore, I was under the impression that the Rosa Parks themed house had a first floor that used to be a lounge and was converted into housing - the upper floors have always had housing - I was also under the impression that they wanted "guaranteed" (aka FREE) housing in the Rosa Park themed house, AND they wanted the first floor converted back into a lounge. That doesn't make any sense though, how can they guarantee more students' housing while getting rid of rooms? So what I gathered from this article may be correct - I think they are asking for guaranteed housing (possibly somewhere else) and have the first floor converted back to a lounge.

Ah, standard leftist (lack of) logic. They want two contradictory things at one time. More rooms or a lounge, choose one.

Should have known that the words have been redefined. "Guaranteed" now means free.

phill4paul
05-11-2017, 11:33 AM
The universities are lost. They should be partitioned off and quarantined.

Razed and the ashes scattered.

Edited for poor grammar. Thanks AF. :o

Anti Federalist
05-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Raised and the ashes scattered.

Razed, scatter the ashes and salt the earth where they stood.

phill4paul
05-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Martin Luther King Jr. would be so proud.

Brian4Liberty
05-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Rental prices effect all students. But hey, if you can claim special privilege and demand that government give you free housing, why not?

And the irony here is that most of these leftist snowflakes will probably be out marching for more immigration the week after their protests for cheap housing.

Bidding war erupts for Santa Cruz rentals

SANTA CRUZ >> UC Santa Cruz student Owen Thomas, who teamed up with four fellow students to look for a place to live off-campus next year, was taken aback when Santa Cruz landlord Harry Dong emailed to ask if his group would be willing to pay more than the advertised price for his rentals and how much.

“Unfortunately, many more qualified applicants have applied to rent these houses than usual — indeed, more qualified applicants than houses I have available to accommodate them,” Dong explained to Thomas via email, which was forwarded to the Sentinel.

Thomas, who needs a place because he’ll no longer be a Stevenson College residential adviser, called the landlord’s strategy “unorthodox.”

He and his friends decided not to bid.

“It’s not ethical,” said Elyse Fischground, 21, a senior at UCSC and co-founder of Students Uniting Renters, a new group. “This market drives people to do things that are not really just for the renters.”

The Sentinel called and emailed Dong, the former longtime owner of Larry’s Photography, on Thursday and Friday but he did not respond.

FIRST TIME

Attorney Gretchen Regenhardt of California Rural Legal Assistance, which aids low-income county residents facing unlawful eviction, said this was the first time she had heard of a bidding war for rentals.

“Because of how the market is, there’s no relationship between the property owner investment and what’s being charged,” said Regenhardt. “It’s whatever the market will bear.”

She called the tactic “creative” and “terrible” and pointed out there is no law against it.

“I don’t see why it wouldn’t be legal,” she said. “There’s nothing at all to prevent a property owner from charging as much as they want in rent... It’s a symptom of how terrible our housing crisis is.”

The strategy also was new to Scott Hernandez-Jason, director of news and media relations at UC Santa Cruz, where undergraduate enrollment has grown from 14,900 in 2010-11 to 16,200 this year.

With juniors and seniors living off campus and little new housing being built locally, that drives up rent and pushes middle-income families out to Watsonville or Boulder Creek, where rents are lower.

Zillow, the real estate information company, reports median rent in Santa Cruz County is $2,913, and expects a 6 percent increase in 2017.
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/NE/20170427/NEWS/170429691

bunklocoempire
05-11-2017, 03:36 PM
“Students from historically underrepresented communities deal with real challenges on campus and in the community. These difficulties include things that many people take for granted, such as finding housing or even just a sense of community.”

Voluntarily attend a church, TCB, and see what kind of education opportunities open up for you... no? Tried that already?

Church ain't got enough sense of community for ya?

dannno
05-11-2017, 03:48 PM
The strategy also was new to Scott Hernandez-Jason, director of news and media relations at UC Santa Cruz, where undergraduate enrollment has grown from 14,900 in 2010-11 to 16,200 this year.

With juniors and seniors living off campus and little new housing being built locally, that drives up rent and pushes middle-income families out to Watsonville or Boulder Creek, where rents are lower.

Lol, this sounds really familiar.. been happening in my town for decades. The people tried to keep the town small and complained to the city who largely arrested development, but the student population kept growing out of control (we actually have two large schools here). Many people who had jobs here had to move 30+ minutes away to rural areas (not unlike Watsonville) cuz the town is surrounded by National Forest and there isn't a ton of room left to build (just like Santa Cruz).

It actually finally slowed down recently. The school built thousands of units of student housing in the last few years, and the town next door finally caved and allowed developers to build thousands of new rental units. Local traffic will increase, but it might reduce the traffic coming in and out of town during the commute.