PDA

View Full Version : Feds to give N.C. only 1% of requested aid for Hurricane Matthew.

phill4paul
05-10-2017, 05:09 PM
State asks for $900 million. Feds give $6 million. Bet there are a lot of North Carolinians wishing they would have kept back some of the $79 billion they gave the Fed in 2015.

North Carolina to receive less than 1% of requested aid following Hurricane Matthew

RALEIGH, N.C. (WLOS) — The State of North Carolina requested more than $900 million in federal aid following Hurricane Matthew. Wednesday, Governor Cooper released a statement expressing his disappointment after the Trump Administration and Congress announced the state will receive just $6.1 million, less than 1% of the resources needed to help communities and families fix homes, repair businesses and recover from the historic flooding.

In a letter, Governor Cooper reiterated the critical and immediate need for support and urged the President to visit affected communities to better understand the challenges that remain.

“Families across Eastern North Carolina need help to rebuild and recover, and it is an incredible failure by the Trump Administration and Congressional leaders to turn their backs,” said Cooper. “Matthew was a historic storm and we are still working every day to help families return home and rebuild their communities. North Carolinians affected by this storm cannot be ignored by the Trump Administration and Congressional leadership, and I will continue to work with our Congressional delegation to get North Carolina residents affected by the storm the help they deserve.”

The Trump Administration’s Housing and Urban Development agency (HUD) is responsible for determining unmet recovery needs, which is a $600 million request for North Carolina, but the agency allowed for only $6 million. Remaining Congressional requests for crop damage, business repair and public buildings were ignored.

http://wlos.com/news/local/state-to-receive-less-than-1-of-requested-aid-following-hurricane-matthew

oyarde
05-10-2017, 09:55 PM
I would like to see states make it through without federal dollars .

helmuth_hubener
05-10-2017, 10:30 PM
This is great news!

Almost a billion dollars saved!

specsaregood
05-10-2017, 10:47 PM
This is great news!
Almost a billion dollars saved!

I'm pretty sure it was not "saved"; but rather, not borrowed and spent.

Sorry guys, Gov Christie probably ruined it for you all when he spent his hurricane funds on poorly disguised reelection ads, kinda soured people.

phill4paul
05-11-2017, 05:07 AM
I would like to see states make it through without federal dollars .

I would like to see states allow their citizens to deposit Fed taxes in the state fund to be doled out, or not, to Fed Gov. as they see fit.

No worries. Since I have not paid Fed tax in many years I will make a donation to a relief fund.

helmuth_hubener
05-11-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty sure it was not "saved"; but rather, not borrowed and spent.

As Benjamin Franklin always said: A billion not spent is a billion saved.

Not spent is what I meant by saved. I of course understand the feral gov't isn't building up a savings account of some sort!