PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity, I crunched some numbers, my health ins. cost has almost tripled

Anti Federalist
05-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Looked back over ten years while reviewing some tax files.

In 2007 my combined employee and employer monthly payments for a family plan with a $2000 deductible - $532.

So far in 2017 for the same insurance, same plan, same number of covered people, with the same company, only now with a $6000 deductible - $1593.

ETA - There have been no major claims against the policy in all that time, in fact, I have yet to ever meet my deductible in a given year.

Thanks Uncle Sucker.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/creepyunclesam.banner.jpg

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-08-2017, 11:11 PM
I know people who had Obamacare and once they got a job for a few months they wanted thousands of dollars back.

oyarde
05-08-2017, 11:30 PM
When I retired I had not been carrying my employer plan for a few years but it cost the company around 1k per month and I was to pay 160 of it . I do not remember what the deductible was because I never meet one but I think in the last 10 years it went from 250 to 500 .

jkr
05-08-2017, 11:38 PM
in gruber we trust?

timosman
05-09-2017, 12:12 AM
I know people who had Obamacare and once they got a job for a few months they wanted thousands of dollars back.

How can you be such a dummy?:rolleyes:

dannno
05-09-2017, 12:17 AM
In 2008, the year that Barack Obama was elected as president, the combined annual profits of America's ten largest health insurance companies were $8 billion. Under Obamacare, the ten largest health insurers' annual profits have risen to $15 billion. This is another fine example of the natural alliance between Big Government and Big Business, which flourishes at the expense of Main Street Americans.

(not promoting the source as a whole by any means, just this article)
http://www.weeklystandard.com/insurers-profits-have-nearly-doubled-since-obama-was-elected/article/2005073

timosman
05-09-2017, 12:19 AM
(not promoting the source as a whole by any means, just this article)
http://www.weeklystandard.com/insurers-profits-have-nearly-doubled-since-obama-was-elected/article/2005073

At the same time the profits of Realtors exceeded ten times this amount.

kcchiefs6465
05-09-2017, 12:33 AM
You know, I really had faith that 'the people' would nullify this.

Everyone was so adamant.

Now they just bitch.

And the can gets kicked.

Anti Federalist
05-09-2017, 12:38 AM
You know, I really had faith that 'the people' would nullify this.

Everyone was so adamant.

Now they just bitch.

And the can gets kicked.

That's all anybody does...us included.

We all know this is never going to get changed at the ballot box.

We all know what needs to happen.

We are all too comfortable and/or scared to commit to that.

So here we sit, and bitch.

kcchiefs6465
05-09-2017, 12:50 AM
Not purchasing health insurance is about as nonviolent as civil disobedience can get.

It would not have worked had not so many people saw the fine (which was 'waived' in the first place) got worried, and rather had simply said fuck them.

It's just ridiculous is all.

KEEF
05-09-2017, 04:03 AM
My work's health care plan started going up on cost the moment Obamacare was getting going on conversation back in 08. Since then, cost has continued to go up and not as many things are covered. Example: my first born daughter was born in 2010 (I didn't have to pay a thing), second kid comes 2013 ($2000 check made out to the hospital before we left the hospital).

I don't even want to think what the brain surgery I had back in 2006 would cost me today.

Yeah for the ACA <sarcasm> and yeah for me being one of the fortunate ones who gets to pay more so insurance companies still make their profit <sarcasm>

olehounddog
05-09-2017, 04:12 AM
My 1st daughter was born in 74. The total hospital bill was a little over $700.00 with no ins.

CaptUSA
05-09-2017, 05:21 AM
I have a niece (on my wife's family's side <- [needed to point that out]) that has 3 kids. She and her husband have no permanent jobs. They do work part-time every now and then. They both are enrolled in nursing classes and get generous subsidies to enjoy the conveniences of modern life. Not only are they all covered for free, they were able to take a 10-day family trip to Hawaii last month thanks to the tax credits from Obamacare.

And you say it's not working.... pshaw.

tod evans
05-09-2017, 05:30 AM
I have a niece (on my wife's family's side <- [needed to point that out]) that has 3 kids. She and her husband have no permanent jobs. They do work part-time every now and then. They both are enrolled in nursing classes and get generous subsidies to enjoy the conveniences of modern life. Not only are they all covered for free, they were able to take a 10-day family trip to Hawaii last month thanks to the tax credits from Obamacare.

But, but............

We neeeeeeed more nurses to keep up with the geezers and unproductive that must be kept alive on the public dime.

A Hawaiian vacation is a small price for the taxpayers to pay for these brave healthcare future professionals.

CaptUSA
05-09-2017, 05:35 AM
But, but............

We neeeeeeed more nurses to keep up with the geezers and unproductive that must be kept alive on the public dime.

A Hawaiian vacation is a small price for the taxpayers to pay for these brave healthcare future professionals.

Yes - and think about the economic double-plus good benefits to Hawaii... If not for Obamacare, Hawaii would have missed out on these 5 tourists!

phill4paul
05-09-2017, 05:35 AM
I. Will. (still) Not. Comply.

tod evans
05-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Yes - and think about the economic double-plus good benefits to Hawaii... If not for Obamacare, Hawaii would have missed out on these 5 tourists!

Does the Marriott take food-stamps?

TheTexan
05-09-2017, 05:55 AM
I. Will. (still) Not. Comply.

Ya.Sure.OK.gif

TheTexan
05-09-2017, 06:04 AM
That's all anybody does...us included.

We all know this is never going to get changed at the ballot box.

We all know what needs to happen.

We are all too comfortable and/or scared to commit to that.

So here we sit, and bitch.

It's not a good time right now, my stock portfolio is up 37% this year

dean.engelhardt
05-09-2017, 06:49 AM
I have been employed, and getting insurance through my employer since before Obamacare. Back then, my employer paid 100% of my premium for an HMO. I only paid copays for a family of 5. My out of pocket expense was under $2,000/year.

In 2017, my expected out of pocket expense is over $12,000; 6X my pre-Obamacare expense.

I consider myself lucky compared to my best friend. He and his wife are in their late fifties and do not have employer health insurance. He works one fulltime jobs and a part time job to cover medical insurance. They live on his wife's income. If the new law gets passed, they may no longer afford to work.

fedupinmo
05-09-2017, 07:06 AM
in gruber we trust?

Manila and hemp are more honest.

fisharmor
05-09-2017, 07:23 AM
My 1st daughter was born in 74. The total hospital bill was a little over $700.00 with no ins.

I was born in '74, and your daughter and I were the lucky ones. Think about the mountain of dead babies our expert modern healthcare saved. It's nearly as big as the mountain of dead kids that weren't strapped to car seats, or the mountain of dead kids that got out of eyesight of a responsible adult for five minutes.
If it saves the lives of children, isn't it worth 15 thousand dollars per birth?

Suzanimal
05-09-2017, 08:09 AM

In 2007 my combined employee and employer monthly payments for a family plan with a $2000 deductible - $532.

So far in 2017 for the same insurance, same plan, same number of covered people, with the same company, only now with a $6000 deductible - $1593.

Thanks Uncle Sucker.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/creepyunclesam.banner.jpg

Same here. Ours has more than doubled and with less coverage. :mad::( Some of that I attribute to Mr Animal hitting his mid fifties but the largest jump came with the ACA.

donnay
05-09-2017, 08:17 AM
It's all a racket.

And if you have the Cadillac insurance...God help you.

Ender
05-09-2017, 08:20 AM
It's all a racket.

Insurance has always been a racket and with it is forced upon everyone it is a total mobster scenario.

specsaregood
05-09-2017, 08:22 AM
If people only knew how much money was spent daily on drug seekers and whiners on "free" govt insurance. And Obamacare added "patient satisfaction" as a factor of medicare payments. so now hospitals have to give them the 5* treatment or risk not getting paid. the places have turned into weekend resorts.

donnay
05-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Insurance has always been a racket and with it is forced upon everyone it is a total mobster scenario.

I disagree, it wasn't always a racket. It was set up for people to have for catastrophic reasons.

This is one of the reasons I hate lobbyist. Now that is where the racket began. Government protects through graft and corruption. The citizen cannot compete therefore they always lose--hence the racket.

oyarde
05-09-2017, 10:17 AM
It's all a racket.

My older sister has a cadillac ins plan . It is why she is still working . I keep telling her one day she will turn into Ginsburg :)

Anti Federalist
05-09-2017, 11:01 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEncdhmJhHM

CaptUSA
05-09-2017, 11:12 AM
[Urge to Kill...]

lol, you're not kidding! Needless to say this niece doesn't like to visit our lake house anymore. :p

The really sad part isn't that they take the money; it's that they feel it's theirs. They have absolutely no concept of someone else paying for them.

(Her dad, my brother-in-law, is on disability from the post office because he's morbidly obese with a heart condition. But don't worry, he's on the heart transplant list - y'know, because he'll take care of someone else's heart.)

timosman
05-09-2017, 11:15 AM
lol, you're not kidding! Needless to say this niece doesn't like to visit our lake house anymore. :p

The really sad part isn't that they take the money; it's that they feel it's theirs. They have absolutely no concept of someone else paying for them.

(Her dad, my brother-in-law, is on disability from the post office because he's morbidly obese with a heart condition. But don't worry, he's on the heart transplant list - y'know, because he'll take care of someone else's heart.)

Is there a limit of how obese you can be before it is considered negligence? 1000 lbs? :confused:

CaptUSA
05-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Is there a limit of how obese you can be before it is considered negligence? 1000 lbs? :confused:

Not sure... he's easily 400 lbs. He's like 52 years old and will never work again in his life. But he still expects to be given all the advantages of society without regard to his contribution. My wife doesn't like when we talk about their tax tic family. It never ends well. ;)

Anti Federalist
05-09-2017, 12:13 PM

There's at least one in every family.

Got an idiot son in law that spends his days trying to wheedle yet another sick, lame and lazy check out of the VA, while my stepdaughter stands in traffic for 12 hours a day, flagging cars to make ends meet.

shakey1
05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Affordable Care Act... just another in the long line of goobermint legislation that does the exact opposite of what it's named.

http://www.newparadigm.ws/s/cc_images/teaserbox_27680941.jpg?t=1446575478

euphemia
05-09-2017, 03:36 PM
At the same time the profits of Realtors exceeded ten times this amount.

That would be comparing apples to jelly beans. Not even in the same orbit. Real estate is a fixed asset that accrues value according to the market where a property is located. Medical care has gone into it's own orbit directly as a result of federal intervention. A doctor used to be able to contract his own services for whatever the patient could pay, and it wasn't always money. Doesn't happen any more.

bunklocoempire
05-09-2017, 04:21 PM

That's a great long game they got going there.

Madison320
05-10-2017, 04:41 PM
The only way we won't have single payer within the next 10 years is if the dollar finally crashes.

AuH20
05-10-2017, 05:14 PM

What type of sorcery do you speak of?

AuH20
05-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Meanwhile, all you see on the major networks are all the adult infants making a huge ruckus at the Town Halls. Their precious Ocare was a giant illusion to begin with.

Anti Federalist
05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
The only way we won't have single payer within the next 10 years is if the dollar finally crashes.

And if these assholes think health care is unresponsive and expensive now, wait until it's "free".

Wooden Indian
05-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Same here. Costs skyrocketed- care plummeted. Whoda thunk It?

Soon Obama will be out of office and we can get a conservative in there with some sense! ..... oh... wait.

fedupinmo
05-10-2017, 07:30 PM

That was before the machine that goes "ping". :D

phill4paul
05-11-2017, 05:16 AM
That was before the machine that goes "ping". :D

Year, I pretty sure each "ping" costs $20.

phill4paul
05-11-2017, 05:18 AM
And if these assholes think health care is unresponsive and expensive now, wait until it's "free".

VA care might actually become better than standard healthcare. :p

enhanced_deficit
05-11-2017, 06:13 AM

ETA - There have been no major claims against the policy in all that time, in fact, I have yet to ever meet my deductible in a given year.

Thanks Uncle Sucker.

Probably just coincidence that founding father of DGPcare was in office 2008-2016.

http://www.medicine.news/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2017/03/obamacare.jpg

donnay
05-11-2017, 06:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh3JCdh-oUk