PDA

View Full Version : NC 330- A bill to allow drivers to legally hit protesters blocking the roadz

asurfaholic
05-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Some common sense, I'd expect the liberal ex-attorney general governor to veto this.

http://www.charlottestories.com/nc-house-just-passed-hb-330-allowing-drivers-legally-hit-protesters-block-roads/

It was introduced by Republican Justin Burr and “provides that a person driving an automobile while exercising due care is immune for civil liability for any injury to another if the injured person was participating in a demonstration or protest and blocking traffic.”

“As we’ve seen, time and time again, as folks run out in the middle of the streets and the interstates in Charlotte and attempt to block traffic,” Burr said. The Republican commented that he wants to ensure that “drivers don’t have to fear driving through Charlotte or anywhere in North Carolina.”

phill4paul
05-06-2017, 10:28 AM
I have no problem with this.

tod evans
05-06-2017, 10:41 AM
"He needed killin' " should be an acceptable defense to everybody except government employees..

specsaregood
05-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Some common sense, I'd expect the liberal ex-attorney general governor to veto this.

http://www.charlottestories.com/nc-house-just-passed-hb-330-allowing-drivers-legally-hit-protesters-block-roads/

The thread title is sensationalist. It doesn't read to me like the bill makes it legal to run over protestors; it just makes one immune from civil liability if it happens on accident. And what about criminal liability?

phill4paul
05-06-2017, 10:51 AM
The thread title is sensationalist. It doesn't read to me like the bill makes it legal to run over protestors; it just makes one immune from civil liability if it happens on accident. And what about criminal liability?

while exercising due care

I'd imagine if you didn't exercise "due care" then you would probably be held criminally liable. As for myself if I'm driving down the highway or street and a mob appears banging on my vehicle and threatening me then I'm shifting into 4WD and will plead "feared for my life" at a later time. That also applies if I have a medical emergency in the passenger seat.

asurfaholic
05-06-2017, 11:03 AM

Maybe a little sensational but I was more or less quoting the article title. But it's not really far off from what is actually being legalized in the bill.

Not sure about the 2nd part - criminally could a cop witnessing the thing arrest you if this law goes into effect?

ghengis86
05-06-2017, 11:27 AM
I'd imagine if you didn't exercise "due care" then you would probably be held criminally liable. As for myself if I'm driving down the highway or street and a mob appears banging on my vehicle and threatening me then I'm shifting into 4WD and will plead "feared for my life" at a later time. That also applies if I have a medical emergency in the passenger seat.

This. Reginald Denny defense.

GunnyFreedom
05-06-2017, 01:11 PM
The impetus would be on the prosecution to demonstrate intent to run over someone in order to secure a conviction. So long as you do not appear to be deliberately targeting a protester you should be just fine. If you legitimately attempt to avoid hitting someone that would further be evidence of "due care."

specsaregood
05-06-2017, 01:22 PM
The impetus would be on the prosecution to demonstrate intent to run over someone in order to secure a conviction. So long as you do not appear to be deliberately targeting a protester you should be just fine. If you legitimately attempt to avoid hitting someone that would further be evidence of "due care."

Right, it doesn't make it legal to go and hit protestors, in any way.

kpitcher
05-06-2017, 01:40 PM
This line of people was blocking the road, I had to run them over! Oh they were cops forming a line against protesters? How was I to know that??

RJB
05-06-2017, 02:31 PM
This. Reginald Denny defense.

I lived in LA at the time and watch this live on TV when it happened. It won't happen too me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8Y6uPH-R4

Origanalist
05-07-2017, 06:31 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NctwrW0AEtwna.jpg