PDA

View Full Version : Congress Just Blocked Jeff Sessions From Messing With Medical Marijuana

DamianTV
05-05-2017, 08:34 AM
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/05/congress-just-blocked-jeff-sessions-from-messing-with-medical-marijuana/

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is clearly fired up to fight state marijuana laws. Unfortunately for him, Congress just doused his chances.

The recent 1,665-page spending bill maintains a provision that prevents the Department of Justice from using any of its funds to hamper state laws related to medical marijuana. The department cannot “prevent any of them from implementing their own laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana,” Section 537 of the bill reads.

The $1.1 trillion spending bill—the Consolidated Appropriations Act, H.R. 244 (PDF)—passed the Senate today with a 79-to-18 vote. The White House has signaled that Trump will sign it, which will keep the government running until September.

The section that ties the hands of the Department of Justice on medical marijuana enforcement is not new. It has been around since 2015. But it received little fanfare amid the Obama era, which took a lenient stance on enforcing federal marijuana laws in states that legalized use.

All that changed when Jeff Sessions took control of the Department of Justice. Sessions has repeatedly said he opposes legalization and signaled that he would abandon Obama’s lax enforcement position.

For instance, in an April 2016 Congressional Hearing, Sessions proclaimed that “good people don’t smoke marijuana.” When Sessions was asked about enforcement this February at a press conference, he said:

I am definitely not a fan of expanded use of marijuana. But states, they can pass the laws they choose. I would just say, it does remain a violation of federal law to distribute marijuana throughout any place in the United States, whether a state legalizes it or not.

With Section 537, Sessions can still go after recreational use of marijuana in the eight states that have passed such laws. But without funding, Sessions’ has little ability to fight the medical marijuana laws in 29 states and the District of Columbia.

Holy crap! Congress did something that might be interpreted as good?

wizardwatson
05-05-2017, 08:36 AM
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/05/congress-just-blocked-jeff-sessions-from-messing-with-medical-marijuana/

Holy crap! Congress did something that might be interpreted as good?

In their world, this is just collateral damage.

Sometimes, in the war for implementing constant evil, there are casualties. Probably they will have to sacrifice an extra child now, to make up for this.

Brian4Liberty
05-05-2017, 08:44 AM
May have been a way to "buy" some votes.

On the one hand, it seems to be a good thing. On the other hand, why the hell is all of this unrelated crap hidden in a spending bill? Deceptive and corrupt.

Superfluous Man
05-05-2017, 08:47 AM
But it received little fanfare amid the Obama era, which took a lenient stance on enforcing federal marijuana laws in states that legalized use.

Whoever wrote that has a short memory.

wizardwatson
05-05-2017, 08:50 AM
May have been a way to "buy" some votes.

On the one hand, it seems to be a good thing. On the other hand, why the hell is all of this unrelated crap hidden in a spending bill? Deceptive and corrupt.

The House is a rubber-stamping powerless eunuch.
The Senate is a rubber-stamping powerless eunuch.
The President is a rubber-stamping powerless eunuch.

Well..not completely true. There might be a half-dozen or so testicles in the whole bunch. I feel like that's generous though.

tod evans
05-05-2017, 09:02 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000485238891/308f21fcff4de7bb9ec18124cc38f942_400x400.jpeg

osan
05-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Is this a joke? When was the last time Congress did something that was even so much as wrong, much less right?

I am suspicious. But if true, good. Sessions needs to be narrowly channeled. He is a talented guy who could so great things if properly leashed. Sic him on Obama and that gang. Leave dope smokers alone.

Root
05-05-2017, 10:24 AM
A start I guess. Congress doesn't have the balls to end prohibition for good this time around.

CaptUSA
05-05-2017, 10:27 AM
The House is a rubber-stamping powerless eunuch.
The Senate is a rubber-stamping powerless eunuch.
The President is a rubber-stamping powerless eunuch.

Well..not completely true. There might be a half-dozen or so testicles in the whole bunch. I feel like that's generous though.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/6973cade352485cf4b48fda7af4706f5/tumblr_o4jz86rRkq1r0ajmso2_500.gif

There might be a half-dozen or so testicles in the whole bunch.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/09/17/grahamwink.gif

TheCount
05-05-2017, 10:57 AM
The text of it doesn't seem as strong as the article claims.

devil21
05-05-2017, 11:07 PM
The text of it doesn't seem as strong as the article claims.

It seems Trump agrees.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-spurns-congress-as-he-signals-medical-marijuana-fight/ar-BBANjNA?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280

President Donald Trump signaled he may ignore a congressional ban on interfering with state medical marijuana laws, arguing in a lengthy statement that he isn’t legally bound by a series of limits lawmakers imposed on him.

Trump issued the “signing statement” Friday after he signed a measure funding the government for the remainder of the federal fiscal year, reprising a controversial tactic former presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama used while in office.
Trump argued in the statement that his constitutional prerogatives supersede the restrictions Congress placed on him as a condition for funding government operations.

I'd like to see the actual signing statement to verify.

Dannno's head just exploded.

nikcers
05-05-2017, 11:42 PM
It seems Trump agrees.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-spurns-congress-as-he-signals-medical-marijuana-fight/ar-BBANjNA?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280

I'd like to see the actual signing statement to verify.

Dannno's head just exploded.
Dannno's just playing 4d chess in order to get people to realize what Trump is doing. I think a lot of people read what he is saying and understand what he is really trying to do.

DamianTV
05-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Whoever wrote that has a short memory.

I has short term memory lo... uh, wait, what was I talking about? Hi! My name is Steve! Whats your name? Im sorry, I have short term memory loss. *pause* Hi! My name is Steve...

Keith and stuff
05-06-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm glad Congress is attempting to block Obama and Trump for doing bad stuff when it comes to states that allow medical cannabis.

H. E. Panqui
05-06-2017, 03:53 PM
...baby [huey] steps...

...as one wag put it, 'i'd like to pry open their holes and scream, "IS THERE A HUMAN IN THERE SOMEWHERE?!...MY GROWING AND/OR USING GOD'S SEEDBEARING PLANTS IS NONE OF YOUR GD BUSINESS, YOU REPUBLICRAT IDIOT!!"...