PDA

View Full Version : Save Liberty, Shut Down the Government

Suzanimal
05-01-2017, 06:02 AM
written by ron paul
monday may 1, 2017

Congress ended the week by passing a continuing resolution keeping the government funded for one more week. This stopgap funding bill is designed to give Congress and the White House more time to negotiate a long-term spending bill. Passage of a long-term spending bill has been delayed over objections to Republican efforts to preserve Obamcare's key features but give states a limited ability to opt out of some Obamacare mandates.

This type of brinkmanship has become standard operating procedure on Capitol Hill. The drama inevitably ends with a spending bill being crafted behind closed doors by small groups of members and staffers and then rushed to the floor and voted on before most members have a chance to read it. These “omnibus” spending bills are a dereliction of one of Congress’s two most important duties — allocating spending. Of course, Congress long ago abandoned another primary duty — preventing presidents from launching military attacks without first obtaining a congressional declaration of war.

The uncomfortable question raised by Congress’s abrogation of these two key functions is whether a republican form of government is compatible with a welfare-warfare state. The answer seems to be “no.”

Congress’s dysfunctional spending process is an inevitable result of the government’s growth. It is simply unrealistic to expect Congress to fund the modern leviathan via a lengthy and open process that allows individual members to have some say in how government spends their constituents’ money. The dysfunctional spending process benefits the many politicians eager to avoid accountability for government spending. The rushed process allows these politicians to say they had to vote for the spending bills. Often, these big spending bills include a promise to cut spending in the future. Like tomorrow, the promised spending cuts are always a day away.

If government continues to expand, the economy will continue to stagnate, social tensions and violence will increase, and more power will be concentrated in the hands of the president, bureaucrats, and a select few members of Congress. The only way to avoid this is for Congress to shut down most of the federal government, starting with bringing the troops home and drastically cutting the military-industrial complex’s budget. Congress must also close all unconstitutional federal agencies and programs, and wind down federal entitlement programs. A good place to start is the Department of Education. The Federal Reserve must be audited and then ended.

The root of the current crisis is neither political nor economic but philosophical. Too many have bought into the lie that government can protect us from life’s misfortunes and stamp out evil around the world without endangering our liberty, our safety, and our prosperity. Convincing a critical mass of people to reject big government is key to our success.

The breakdown of the congressional appropriations process, combined with hyper-interventionism via the Federal Reserve and foreign policy, suggest we are in the last stages of the welfare-warfare state. Whether this system’s inevitable collapse completes our descent into authoritarianism or leads to a restoration of limited, constitutional government and free markets depends on how effective those of us who know the truth are in spreading the ideas of liberty.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2017/may/01/save-liberty-shut-down-the-government/

Copyright © 2017 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
Please donate to the Ron Paul Institute

tod evans
05-01-2017, 06:31 AM
I found this to be most relevant;

If government continues to expand, the economy will continue to stagnate, social tensions and violence will increase, and more power will be concentrated in the hands of the president, bureaucrats, and a select few members of Congress. The only way to avoid this is for Congress to shut down most of the federal government, starting with bringing the troops home and drastically cutting the military-industrial complex’s budget. Congress must also close all unconstitutional federal agencies and programs, and wind down federal entitlement programs. A good place to start is the Department of Education. The Federal Reserve must be audited and then ended.

ChristianAnarchist
05-02-2017, 01:44 PM
YES!! Shut down the goonerment! Those goonsquads need to be put out of business!!!!!!!!!

osan
05-02-2017, 03:58 PM
YES!! Shut down the goonerment! Those goonsquads need to be put out of business!!!!!!!!!

And who, precisely, is going to do all that? Congress? Not on your life. Those agencies are a large part of the means by which they wield and retain their standings. For Themme to do as you suggest would be analogous to cutting their dicks off in preparation to have more and better sex.

Mass civil disobedience is likely the only answer, at least as the ice-breaker.

ChristianAnarchist
05-02-2017, 04:07 PM
And who, precisely, is going to do all that? Congress? Not on your life. Those agencies are a large part of the means by which they wield and retain their standings. For Themme to do as you suggest would be analogous to cutting their dicks off in preparation to have more and better sex.

Mass civil disobedience is likely the only answer, at least as the ice-breaker.

The same "who" that always does it. THE PEOPLE! It's all a con, a confidence game. When "The People" stop having confidence in the goonerment they lose legitimacy and as the confidence goes, the goonerment magically disappears like a vapor. What "The People" need to learn is that they don't need to replace one goonerment with a "new and improved" goonerment. They just need to learn to do without. Life could be grand...

Zippyjuan
05-02-2017, 06:03 PM
The same "who" that always does it. THE PEOPLE! It's all a con, a confidence game. When "The People" stop having confidence in the goonerment they lose legitimacy and as the confidence goes, the goonerment magically disappears like a vapor. What "The People" need to learn is that they don't need to replace one goonerment with a "new and improved" goonerment. They just need to learn to do without. Life could be grand...

Revolts do not always go as planned. One may end up in a worse situation with a more centralized, powerful government.

osan
05-02-2017, 06:36 PM
The same "who" that always does it. THE PEOPLE!

Have you been any paying attention to the current state of the American population? "The people" are corrupted with ignorance, envy, hate, avarice, cowardice, and so forth. Huge subsets are violently opposed to the very existence of others. How, exactly, in a nation where thousands of people "protest" by trying to burn down places like Portland, are "the people" going to have sufficient cohesion to do the things you suggest?

Imagine 5% of Americans actually attempted to do this, unlikely as it may seem to rational men. What do you think Theye would do, sit idly by as everything for which they live is dismantled, their positions reduced to dust? Surely you do not believe this. They will sow terror into the other 95%, identifying the 5% as the evil responsible, and recruit the mob in exchange for illusions of safety, authority, food, etc. to do what Theye would never be able to do otherwise. Then there will be a huge army of frightened, angry, vengeful people more than happy to assume their new positions and licenses to kill the enemy. It is classic Hegelian dialectic at work and it does so like a charm every time. It plays on the deepest of human weaknesses to great effect, as our history shows again and again.

Unless sufficient numbers of "the people" come to unison on such an issue, Theye will continue to do as they please and the rest of us will suck it. I don't know what proportion is enough, but I seriously doubt it could be done with much less than 15%, and that little only with a really strong sense of unison, which to me means getting back to the basics of human relations. That likelihood seems very low to me. OTOH, things change, so one cannot foresee with perfection, but I cannot think offhand what change in circumstance might funnel such large numbers of people into the right common channel of thought. But whatever it is, I am confident that it would have to be very, very bad. We are no longer a sensible, righteous people.

There is no "the people". Not today, and probably never in what I would deem the right sense.

ChristianAnarchist
05-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Have you been any paying attention to the current state of the American population? "The people" are corrupted with ignorance, envy, hate, avarice, cowardice, and so forth. Huge subsets are violently opposed to the very existence of others. How, exactly, in a nation where thousands of people "protest" by trying to burn down places like Portland, are "the people" going to have sufficient cohesion to do the things you suggest?

Imagine 5% of Americans actually attempted to do this, unlikely as it may seem to rational men. What do you think Theye would do, sit idly by as everything for which they live is dismantled, their positions reduced to dust? Surely you do not believe this. They will sow terror into the other 95%, identifying the 5% as the evil responsible, and recruit the mob in exchange for illusions of safety, authority, food, etc. to do what Theye would never be able to do otherwise. Then there will be a huge army of frightened, angry, vengeful people more than happy to assume their new positions and licenses to kill the enemy. It is classic Hegelian dialectic at work and it does so like a charm every time. It plays on the deepest of human weaknesses to great effect, as our history shows again and again.

Unless sufficient numbers of "the people" come to unison on such an issue, Theye will continue to do as they please and the rest of us will suck it. I don't know what proportion is enough, but I seriously doubt it could be done with much less than 15%, and that little only with a really strong sense of unison, which to me means getting back to the basics of human relations. That likelihood seems very low to me. OTOH, things change, so one cannot foresee with perfection, but I cannot think offhand what change in circumstance might funnel such large numbers of people into the right common channel of thought. But whatever it is, I am confident that it would have to be very, very bad. We are no longer a sensible, righteous people.

There is no "the people". Not today, and probably never in what I would deem the right sense.

Sorry, it's still the same answer... THE PEOPLE! There is literally no one else to do it. There are the goons, and there are the people. If the people are too foulked up to do it then it will never happen...

ChristianAnarchist
05-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Revolts do not always go as planned. One may end up in a worse situation with a more centralized, powerful government.

Right you are. That's why I said you have to hope "we the people" do not fall for replacing one goonerment with another goonerment. Key word is "goon". We cannot have goons over us in any flavor. All flavors are sheit. Different shades of brown, that's the only difference...

osan
05-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Sorry, it's still the same answer... THE PEOPLE! There is literally no one else to do it.

I've said no differently, and in fact it is precisely my point, save to add the positive facts of life. Without long and broad cohesion at the lowest conceptual levels regarding human relations, there will be no claiming liberty from Theire clutches, barring the Reset. Why does anyone think Theire media are fanning the flames of race, religious, ethnic, and every other brand of hatred? It divides us and so long as we remain so, Theye reign in whatever manner they choose... within loose limits. Very loose.

There are the goons, and there are the people.

The goons are united. The people are fractured.

If the people are too foulked up to do it then it will never happen...

I like what you did there.

shakey1
05-04-2017, 10:28 AM
The only way to avoid this is for Congress to shut down most of the federal government, starting with bringing the troops home and drastically cutting the military-industrial complex’s budget. Congress must also close all unconstitutional federal agencies and programs, and wind down federal entitlement programs. A good place to start is the Department of Education. The Federal Reserve must be audited and then ended.

What are the odds of that happening?

ChristianAnarchist
05-04-2017, 11:16 AM
What are the odds of that happening?

Way too high for my little pea brain to compute...