PDA

View Full Version : Congress approves "one-week" government extension

Jan2017
04-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Paul Ryan hard at work this week . . . nevermind "artificial deadlines"

Congress Prevents Government Shutdown From Occurring on Trump’s 100th Day

WASHINGTON — Averting a political embarrassment ahead of President Trump’s 100th day in office,
Congress on Friday approved a one-week spending measure that avoids a government shutdown.

Republicans had to be satisfied on Friday with simply keeping the lights on.

The House approved the spending measure by a vote of 382 to 30 (plus 18 non-votes),
and the Senate gave its approval with a voice vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/us/politics/congress-government-funding-stopgap.html?_r=0

TheTexan
04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
This is great news. It would have been disastrous, if the White House gift shop and national parks had to be closed. Our economy would take years to recover.

Jan2017
04-28-2017, 03:47 PM
This is great news. . . .

Paul Ryan "creative financing" . . . because it will be better to shut down government on Cinco de Mayo

---- NAYS 30 ---

Amash
Boyle, Brendan F.
Bridenstine
Cárdenas
Castor (FL)
Clarke (NY)
DeFazio
DeGette
DesJarlais
Gaetz
Garrett
Gutiérrez
Hollingsworth
Johnson, Sam
Jones
King (IA)
Lee
Lewis (GA)
Lujan Grisham, M.
Massie
Mooney (WV)
Pearce
Ratcliffe
Renacci
Rush
Sensenbrenner
Vela
Velázquez
Watson Coleman
Wittman

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll236.xml

Zippyjuan
04-29-2017, 03:14 AM
I knew they would extend it- I just expected them to extend things until October (end of the fiscal year) rather than just one week.

Jan2017
04-29-2017, 08:35 AM
I knew they would extend it- I just expected them to extend things until October (end of the fiscal year) rather than just one week.

That is all Paul Ryan is even trying for now . . . to keep the goonerment going for another five months.

He doesn't even yet have the House votes to extend it that long - to the end of the fiscal year we are already in!

Cinco de Mayo will be best for the start of a government shutdown . . . less political than the "artificial" 100-day-in-office deadline.