PDA

View Full Version : Bannon's Peculiar Reading List Draws Progressives Angst at the Concept of Cyclical History

AuH20
04-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Cyclical history?!!? Hogwash. All human history is based on linear progress forward. ;):D

https://thefederalist.com/2017/04/12/progressives-hate-steve-bannons-cyclical-view-history/

If you want to make a progressive squirm, tell him that history is cyclical. Whether they realize it or not, progressives borrow their entire worldview from Christianity, and therefore have a fundamentally millenarian view of history. The idea of cycles makes them uncomfortable.

After all, humanity is supposed to be marching toward that secular paradise. Even when bad things happen—like Trump and Bannon—it’s okay because, as Obama liked to say (quoting Dr. Martin Luther King), “the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” Or, as Ashbrook asked Howe, “What about working for peace, justice, international equity? The things that might hold a crisis at bay?”

I'm also reminded of the Tytler Cycle.

http://thenicolfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cycle-of-democracy.jpg

I think we're somewhere between dependence and the incoming bondage period.

timosman
04-14-2017, 07:37 PM
I think we're somewhere between dependence and the incoming bondage period.

A pretty accurate assessment of the situation. Hope you are into BDSM.:cool:

otherone
04-14-2017, 07:46 PM
A pretty accurate assessment of the situation. Hope you are into BDSM.:cool:

lol.
The safe word is "MAGA".

timosman
04-14-2017, 07:47 PM
lol.
The safe word is "MAGA".

Works for me.:cool:

timosman
04-14-2017, 07:58 PM
How do we go from Bondage to Spiritual Faith? Did this happen before? Are we the very first cycle and somebody is lying to us?:rolleyes:

AuH20
04-14-2017, 08:02 PM
How do we go from Bondage to Spiritual Faith? Did this happen before? Are we the very first cycle and somebody is lying to us?:rolleyes:

I think it's progresses like the Exodus. :)

timosman
04-14-2017, 09:04 PM
I think it's progresses like the Exodus. :)

How do we know this is not a bs story?:D