PDA

View Full Version : Trump: I'm giving the military 'total authorization'

timosman
04-14-2017, 03:41 AM
http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/trump-military-total-authorization-afghanistan-iraq

By: Leo Shane III, April 13, 2017

http://snagfilms-a.akamaihd.net/c4/ca/abe40b3b46839037394d0aa85346/trump-228217.jpg

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday called the recent high-profile military actions overseas proof that he’s fulfilling his promise to let defense leaders act decisively without interference from politicians.

“What I do is I authorize my military,” in response to a press question about the use of a massive bomb in an assault on Islamic State group positions in Afghanistan. “We have the greatest military in the world, and they’ve done the job, as usual. We have given them total authorization, and that’s what they’re doing.

“Frankly, that’s why they’ve been so successful lately. If you look at what’s happened over the last eight weeks and compare that really to what has happened over the last eight years, you’ll see there is a tremendous difference.”

The Afghanistan airstrike — the first battlefield use of the military’s Massive Ordnance Air Blast weapon — on Thursday was the latest in a series of large scale, sometimes controversial military actions by the Defense Department in Trump’s first three months in office.

Earlier this month, the military fired nearly 60 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian airfield in response to chemical weapons use by forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Al Assad. In January, U.S. special operations forces conducted a raid against an al-Qaida compound in Yemen that resulted in the death of a Navy SEAL and several civilians.

Pentagon leaders have also come under scrutiny for an airstrike in Iraq in March that killed more than 100 civilians, due to incomplete information supplied by friendly forces on the ground.

And the number of U.S. troops in Iraq and Syria has slowly risen in recent months, in response to international efforts to combat ISIS in the region.

White House officials said Trump was heavily involved in authorizing the Yemen raid and Syria strike, but Trump appeared to indicate he was not the final authority on the use of the MOAB against terrorist positions this week.

During the presidential campaign, he repeatedly promised to review rules of engagement for U.S. troops in war zones and limit micro-management of military operations by executive branch bureaucrats, a frequent criticism of President Obama by conservatives.

But military officials said the rules of engagement have not been updated for Iraq yet, and have not publicly commented on whether they have been given more independent operational authority in recent weeks.

Earlier in the day, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the Afghanistan attack came after officials “took all precautions necessary to prevent civilian casualties and collateral damage as a result of the operation.”

He also said the attack sent a clear message to U.S. adversaries.

“The United States takes the fight against ISIS very seriously and in order to defeat the group, we must deny them operational space, which we did,” he said.

silverhandorder
04-14-2017, 04:48 AM
Looks weak to me if you have to lob everything you got to keep enemies in line. How fast is that draining our purse? How long can we do it? They waited for us to weaken for a long time, they can wait a bit more.

So now when our soldiers or planes show up enemies will be like lol beat that already. Where your tomahawks bitch?

CaptUSA
04-14-2017, 05:10 AM
Looks weak to me if you have to lob everything you got to keep enemies in line. How fast is that draining our purse? How long can we do it? They waited for us to weaken for a long time, they can wait a bit more.

So now when our soldiers or planes show up enemies will be like lol beat that already. Where your tomahawks bitch?

Nah, it just means more military Keynesianism! Detonated bombs means more bombs have to be made!!! Which means more jobs! Which means riches! MAGA, MAGA!!

(of course, you don't want to mention that all those resources have to be pulled from somewhere else and instead of creating wealth you are literally destroying it. But let's not be pedantic. MAGA, MAGA!)

AZJoe
04-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Real meaning of his statement:

“The United States takes the fight [to protect] ISIS very seriously and in order to [regime change] the [nations that don't want to be our puppet], we must deny them [sovereignty, independence, self-government]"

phill4paul
04-14-2017, 08:32 AM
“What I do is I authorize my military,” in response to a press question about the use of a massive bomb in an assault on Islamic State group positions in Afghanistan. “We have the greatest military in the world, and they’ve done the job, as usual. We have given them total authorization, and that’s what they’re doing.

When he says "We" he means the royal "We." As in "I." And all the while Congress sits around and...does nothing.

jmdrake
04-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Nah, it just means more military Keynesianism! Detonated bombs means more bombs have to be made!!! Which means more jobs! Which means riches! MAGA, MAGA!!

(of course, you don't want to mention that all those resources have to be pulled from somewhere else and instead of creating wealth you are literally destroying it. But let's not be pedantic. MAGA, MAGA!)

You don't get it. It costs $1 million per year to maintain a MOAB ordinance and the plane and crew to deliver it and only $300K to actually fly over and drop it. So by dropping the MOAB, Trump cut the deficit by $700K. /sarc

Madison320
04-14-2017, 08:43 AM

The end game is a currency collapse. That's what prevents all countries from borrowing and printing their way to success (or domination).

William Tell
04-14-2017, 09:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Ra_LdQL2U

Peace&Freedom
04-14-2017, 09:51 AM
“What I do is I authorize my military,” in response to a press question about the use of a massive bomb in an assault on Islamic State group positions in Afghanistan. “We have the greatest military in the world, and they’ve done the job, as usual. We have given them total authorization, and that’s what they’re doing."

Of course Trump has no such authority to pass on to the military, neither constitutional, nor even under the War Powers Act. He is doing brazenly what his predecessors have been doing using a modicum of pretext or other excuses. The main/only saving grace behind this kind of intervention is that it is apparently Jacksonian in nature (i.e., intended to be short-term, big show of strength), and not all-stops out long war, maximum troops invading and dying, empire-building that the neocons prefer. As far as meddling goes, call it a form of harm reduction, compared to the 150,000 troops on the ground, full invasion scenario we would be engulfed in under a President Hillary.

It is kind of the opposite of the posture of previous administrations, that would talk the limited war talk but deliver long war and ongoing quagmires everywhere. Trump is instead letting his hawks talk the full war, regime change talk while delivering short-war, shock and awe moments of military action to keep the war party happy. He'll talk the remove-Assad talk, but not do the full invasion it would take to do it, etc. By doing so early in his term, he can bluff about performing expanded actions later, and will be believed (since he is known to have pulled the trigger previously), giving him a better position when negotiating.

For the same reason, the full Monty interventionists will not be able to paint him as weak if Trump later declines to go farther than commit to such short war, in and out operations. The question is, will Trump stop here, or truly capitulate to the full regime change empire agenda of the neocons?

CPUd
04-14-2017, 10:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ud1FNMx.jpg

seapilot
04-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Is all this war drum banging a cover up for something else? Not much talk about the debt ceiling being breached again. More excuse to spend more money that the USA does not have.