Oh beautiful, for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain.
America, America;
God shed his grace on thee.
And crown thy good with brotherhood
from sea to shining sea!

The Ron Paul campaign now has it's own color! Until the election of November 2008, encourage supporters to wear something purple: a scarf, tie, button, hat, pin, necklace. And for the really dedicated: shirts, pants, coats & shoes.

Purple is unifying

Blue state? Red state? Ron Paul unites us all! We're going to turn all the states Purple and elect Ron Paul in 2008. Democrats, Republicans and Independents united for freedom... Our color is purple!

Purple is meaningful

As a historical symbol of elite & royalty, it's appropriate that we wear purple since Ron Paul will move to legalize the Constitution and transfer power back to the people. By wearing purple, we symbolize this movement of power. Wearing purple is a chromatic declaration and affirmation of "We the People".

Purple is fun

As an uncommon color, purple allows us to stand out in a crowd. Is your style subtle or outrageous? Get creative and personalize how you wear the color: anything from a pin or broach to purple hair! Have some fun with it. If you catch your friends not wearing purple give them a pinch! For others who aren't wearing purple, give them a metaphorical wake-up "pinch" and introduce them to Ron Paul.

Second-hand stores are a great place to pickup unique and inexpensive purple items to wear - get creative! Make your Purple4Paul clothing or accessory a conversation piece!

"Start Wearing Purple" Video

The idea for Purple 4 Ron Paul was inspired by a song "Start Wearing Purple" which is simple, catchy and energetic. If you have video editing experience, consider putting together a short video with exerpts from this song. You can use photos of Ron Paul supporters wearing purple that we'll collect on the Purple4Paul Myspace page.

Join the Purple4Paul Myspace Page

"Start Wearing Purple" is playing now at myspace.com/purple4paul (http://myspace.com/purple4paul). Become a friend of Purple4Paul and start posting comments with photos of yourself and your meetup group wearing purple.

fedup100
12-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Are you sure it's not a gang color in some cities!!:D

Voluntaryist
12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Its a gang color in the city of San Andreas ;)

jonahtrainer
12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
America

Purple is meaningful

As a historical symbol of elite & royalty, it's appropriate that we wear purple since Ron Paul will move to legalize the Constitution and transfer power back to the people. By wearing purple, we symbolize this movement of power. Wearing purple is a chromatic declaration and affirmation of "We the People".

That is why Juris Doctor robes are purple because they represent the Crown. We do not want Ron Paul to be King; we want him to be President. Consequently, I don't like the idea of wearing purple to show support for Ron Paul.

thumbto
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
There's no connection to any other purple-meaning from Barney to Crown Royal bags..

Purple4Paul is a powerful and fun promotional tool for freedom and People Power!

hawkeyenick
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
purple is lame

troyd1
12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I will wear purple because I am from Minnesota. I might not go over too well in Wisconsin with the cheeseheads.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Bad idea..

McDermit
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't think too many dudes are going to get on board with this. It'd be different of the campaign signs were purple or something, but there's no relevance...

rollingpig
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
how about wear white, black and red

Joey Wahoo
12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
This is way over the top. For those of y'all who want to do this, God bless you. But I am NOT going to wear purple clothes. (Is Prince a big RP supporter? That would be cool.)

We are libertarians. We don't wear uniforms.
:)

MrCobaltBlue
12-10-2007, 02:09 PM
<3 Gogol Bordello

cujothekitten
12-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm with a couple other people in this thread... Purple is a dangerous color to wear in major cities. Feel free to do it in the suburbs though.

RPinSEAZ
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I think we should call ourselves the brownshirts. ;)

Uniforms are for fascists.

Eli
12-10-2007, 02:13 PM
no frickin way your getting purple on this guy.

thumbto
12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Tough crowd. All I have to say is:

http://thumbto.com/flower.png

FireofLiberty
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
<3 Gogol Bordello

That's what I thought this thread was going to be about :D

Talldude1412
12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Ummm..... how about bright green? Or orange? Purple is OLD NEWS, lol. I mean, I think the gay pride people might be kinda ticked off too, "you're stealing their colors!!". Ironic seeing as how they stole refracted light (rainbows) and the word "gay" itself, but in all fairness I think our movement needs a more original color scheme.

OferNave
12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
This is a brilliant idea - and not for any of the reasons you mentioned. I actually encountered this idea a few days ago in the RonPaulRadio.com chat room.

The media refers to states as 'red' or 'blue', depending on whether they lean Republican or Democrat. Someone joked that after the election they're going to have to repaint most of them purple for Ron Paul.

It really hit the rest of us hard. It was brilliant, it was meaningful, it was a powerful visual. As Dr. Paul says, freedom unites us. We're neither red nor blue - we're both - we're purple.

So, if *that* is the reason for wearing purple, and if the reason is made clear to all, then I'm down.

Also, it would be cool to make a red/blue map of the US, and paint each state purple as Dr. Paul wins it. :)

OferNave
12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
PS-Try to avoid any Drazi wearing green sashes.

Dutch
12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
PS-Try to avoid any Drazi wearing green sashes.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Another B5 fan :p

Dutch

Talldude1412
12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
The media refers to states as 'red' or 'blue', depending on whether they lean Republican or Democrat. Someone joked that after the election they're going to have to repaint most of them purple for Ron Paul.

It really hit the rest of us hard. It was brilliant, it was meaningful, it was a powerful visual. As Dr. Paul says, freedom unites us. We're neither red nor blue - we're both - we're purple.

So, if *that* is the reason for wearing purple, and if the reason is made clear to all, then I'm down.

Also, it would be cool to make a red/blue map of the US, and paint each state purple as Dr. Paul wins it. :)

That is an original reason though, I'll give you that. Can we brainstorm a different color scheme though?

FireofLiberty
12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
How about maroon? I mean, that is one of VA Tech's colors, but it would be a good choice that stands out.

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
White would probably be a better idea, if having a campaign "color" were a good idea at all. White makes me think "honesty," "authenticity," and "starting over with a clean slate"

thumbto
12-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Brilliant, just brilliant... I've updated the thread origin with the following text:

Purple is unifying

Blue state? Red state? Ron Paul unites us all! We're going to turn all the states Purple and elect Ron Paul in 2008. Democrats, Republicans and Independents united for freedom... Our color is purple!

Talldude1412
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
White would probably be a better idea, if having a campaign "color" were a good idea at all. White makes me think "honesty," "authenticity," and "starting over with a clean slate"

True, but its an easy way for the MSM to paint us as surrender seekers, hippies, etc.

I like the maroon idea. Sets us apart from straight-up purple, and the ensuing collusions of interests :). But still works with the Red/Blue combo.

axiomata
12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Purple is unifying

Purple is meaningful

Purple is fun

Purple is hideous.

rory096
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
No! We're trying to dispel the idea that we're a cult-like movement, and everyone wearing one color ruins that.

Talldude1412
12-10-2007, 03:24 PM
No! We're trying to dispel the idea that we're a cult-like movement, and everyone wearing one color ruins that.

hahaha, good thinking

ursamajor
12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
don't let people tell you it is a bad idea. go for it!

Talldude1412
12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Personally I like the idea of some color scheme, makes our numbers clearly visible, can confuse pundits like zebras confuse lions. I just want an original color scheme, although the red-blue mix to make purple is an original reason for it.

OferNave
12-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Brilliant, just brilliant... I've updated the thread origin with the following text:

Purple is unifying

Sweet!

Elwar
12-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Two words:

Barney

OferNave
12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
It defeats the purpose to use a popular color like green, blue, maroon, etc. Everyone else is wearing that.

I also think the point about getting close to being a cult might be valid. Maybe we should stay away from wearing purple just for the sake of it, but start incorporating the purple = united theme into Ron Paul clothing, that make it clear why purple was chosen.

Troyhand
12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I thought the point of the Ron Paul Movement was to show our importance and creativity as individuals, not groups. Having some kind of collectivistic color or symbol as a calling card is unnecessary. Ron Paul is our symbol. The movement is each of us.

Alone, we're each a snowflake - singular and unique - but together, united, we create a perfect storm.

Besides, purple makes me look bloated.

FireofLiberty
12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
It defeats the purpose to use a popular color like green, blue, maroon, etc. Everyone else is wearing that.

I also think the point about getting close to being a cult might be valid. Maybe we should stay away from wearing purple just for the sake of it, but start incorporating the purple = united theme into Ron Paul clothing, that make it clear why purple was chosen.

Everyone is wearing maroon? I don't see a lot maroon.

thumbto
12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Come on people... If it's good enough for her....

purple4paul at myspace (http://myspace.com/purple4paul)

http://thumbto.com/liberty.png

SwanMaiden
12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm on board, but it should be easy for me. Deep bluish purple has always been one of my favorite colors.:p

honkywill
12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
That's what I thought this thread was going to be about :D

Same here.