PDA

View Full Version : Bill Would Stop Warrantless Border Device Searches of US Citizens

DamianTV
04-04-2017, 05:05 PM
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/04/04/1753201/bill-would-stop-warrantless-border-device-searches-of-us-citizens

Senators Ron Wyden and Rand Paul as well as Reps. Jared Polis and Blake Farenthold have introduced legislation that would require law enforcement to first obtain a warrant before they can search our electronic devices when we enter the United States. From a report:

A new bipartisan bill would prevent Americans' electronic devices from being searched at the border without a warrant, a response to an increase in such electronic searches. The bill would require a warrant before agents could search Americans' phones, laptops and other devices at entries to the US, including airports and border crossings. "Americans' constitutional rights shouldn't disappear at the border," Wyden said in a statement. "By requiring a warrant to search Americans' devices and prohibiting unreasonable delay, this bill makes sure that border agents are focused on criminals and terrorists instead of wasting their time thumbing through innocent Americans' personal photos and other data."

Yes, this is in DIRECT contradiction with another thread I just started:

'Extreme Vetting' Would Require Visitors To US To Share Contacts, Passwords
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?509350-Extreme-Vetting-Would-Require-Visitors-To-US-To-Share-Contacts-Passwords

TheCount
04-04-2017, 05:06 PM
But muh security theatre.

CPUd
04-04-2017, 05:53 PM
I hadn't heard about these searches until 1-2 years ago. It's never happened to me, but pretty much everyone I know who are foreign nationals from certain parts of the world are getting their phones dumped when coming into the US.

phill4paul
04-04-2017, 06:52 PM
If you loved America with your heart and soul you would never leave it. Only liberal movie stars and comedians leave America when a true God Emperor is president. Only racist conservatives leave America when a first black Muslim is president. Damn straight everyone should be checked out if they leave and come back. Traitors.