PDA

View Full Version : SC Rep. Mark Sanford: Trump threatened to back primary challenger against me

Brian4Liberty
03-30-2017, 11:30 PM
South Carolina U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford: Trump threatened to back primary challenger against me (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/south-carolina-u-s-rep-mark-sanford-trump-threatened-to/article_47e680c2-155e-11e7-883e-5f89fc5a8c7b.html)
By Emma Dumain - Mar 30, 2017

WASHINGTON — Against the backdrop of crumbling negotiations over the GOP bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, President Donald Trump said last week he wanted to oust incumbent U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford in 2018.

The South Carolina Republican told The Post and Courier that Trump chose to convey this message through an intermediary: White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney, a former member of the S.C. congressional delegation, co-founder of the House Freedom Caucus and a friend.

"'The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,'" Sanford said Mulvaney told him.

He added that Mulvaney made it clear he did not want to deliver the message but did so at Trump's insistence.

"I’ve never had anyone, over my time in politics, put it to me as directly as that," Sanford said, perhaps understating just how monumental it is for a sitting president to openly go after members of his own party.

Sanford also isn't alone in bearing the brunt of Trump's ire. On Thursday, a week after GOP leaders canceled the vote on the health care bill, Trump tweeted he had no qualms about targeting the entire Freedom Caucus next year.
Trump's specific message to Sanford, a member of the Freedom Caucus, is unique. It comes in the context of Sanford's consistent willingness to challenge Trump, while most other GOP lawmakers have kept their criticisms quiet, including during the campaign and after the election.

Even the famously candid U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., has laid off on his attacks. As a reward for burying the hatchet, Graham has been invited to lunch at the White House and now receives personal phone calls from the commander-in-chief.
"I am committed to working in any way possible with the president, (but) I ultimately work for the people of the 1st District," Sanford said. "When a bill comes along that does not fit with the people I represent, or the promises I made in running, it's my belief that I have to represent that viewpoint regardless of other perspectives in Washington and the consequences of doing so."
Two potential challengers have come forward so far: Ted Fienning, an entrepreneur and previously a Marine Corps fighter pilot, and Tom Perez, a defense analyst and Citadel graduate who has a 22-year career in the Navy and the Reserves.
"I mentioned this to a couple of colleagues, and they said it sounds very Godfather-ish," Sanford said. "Their point was that this approach might work in New Jersey, but it probably doesn’t work so well in South Carolina."
More: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/south-carolina-u-s-rep-mark-sanford-trump-threatened-to/article_47e680c2-155e-11e7-883e-5f89fc5a8c7b.html

Brian4Liberty
03-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Mark Sanford: Trump Threatened Primary Challenge for Vote Against Trumpcare
By Adam K. Raymond - March 30, 2017

In the lead up to last week’s scheduled House vote on Trumpcare, which was cancelled before it could fail, President Trump sent a message to Republican South Carolina Representative Mark Sanford: Vote “no” and you’ll be primaried.

Sanford, best known for absconding to Argentina with his mistress while serving as South Carolina’s governor, told Charleston’s Post and Courier about the threat Thursday. He said it was relayed by former South Carolina congressman Mick Mulvaney, who’s now the head of Trump’s Office of Management and Budget.

“The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,” Sanford said Mulvaney told him.

He added that Mulvaney made it clear he did not want to deliver the message but did so at Trump’s insistence.
But if Sanford is the only GOP House member currently in Trump’s crosshairs, that wouldn’t be too big of a surprise. While he was far from the only Republican to break with the White House on Trumpcare, Sanford is one of only two GOP Representatives to sign a letter calling on Trump to release his tax returns.

And few, if any, members of Trump’s own party have been as willing to criticize him since the inauguration as Sanford has. In a Washington Post op-ed published at the end of January, Sanford chided Trump for “embarrassing companies into business decisions.” His advice: Stay off Twitter. Several weeks later, he told Politico that Trump has fanned “the flames of intolerance,” too often stretched the truth, and, a month into his presidency, still appeared unprepared for the office.
More: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/mark-sanford-trump-threatened-primary-challenge.html

Superfluous Man
03-31-2017, 01:27 PM
"I’ve never had anyone, over my time in politics, put it to me as directly as that," Sanford said, perhaps understating just how monumental it is for a sitting president to openly go after members of his own party.

It's not Sanford understating how monumental it is. It's the author of the article understating how common it is. Most power brokers in politics just don't do it as bluntly as Trump.

That said, I agree with the basic point that Trump is worse than the average president in most ways.

EBounding
03-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Just you wait and see. It's all part of the Master plan. Remember, Trump hasn't done anything yet...these threats are just words intended to make the Freedom Caucus stronger! It's only a matter of time until Trump rips off his coat revealing a RON PAUL R3VOLUTION shirt and starts getting down to some BIG LEAGUE defense of the Constitution!

loveshiscountry
03-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Mark Sanford: Trump Threatened Primary Challenge for Vote Against Trumpcare
By Adam K. Raymond - March 30, 2017
In the lead up to last week’s scheduled House vote on Trumpcare, which was cancelled before it could fail, President Trump sent a message to Republican South Carolina Representative Mark Sanford: Vote “no” and you’ll be primaried.

Sanford, best known for absconding to Argentina with his mistress while serving as South Carolina’s governor, told Charleston’s Post and Courier about the threat Thursday. He said it was relayed by former South Carolina congressman Mick Mulvaney, who’s now the head of Trump’s Office of Management and Budget.

“The president asked me to look you square in the eyes and to say that he hoped that you voted ‘no’ on this bill so he could run (a primary challenger) against you in 2018,” Sanford said Mulvaney told him.

He added that Mulvaney made it clear he did not want to deliver the message but did so at Trump’s insistence.
But if Sanford is the only GOP House member currently in Trump’s crosshairs, that wouldn’t be too big of a surprise. While he was far from the only Republican to break with the White House on Trumpcare, Sanford is one of only two GOP Representatives to sign a letter calling on Trump to release his tax returns.

And few, if any, members of Trump’s own party have been as willing to criticize him since the inauguration as Sanford has. In a Washington Post op-ed published at the end of January, Sanford chided Trump for “embarrassing companies into business decisions.” His advice: Stay off Twitter. Several weeks later, he told Politico that Trump has fanned “the flames of intolerance,” too often stretched the truth, and, a month into his presidency, still appeared unprepared for the office.
More: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...challenge.html
Didn't Jones and Sanford vote present? or is that different Bill? Wonder why they signed a letter calling for the release and voted present?