PDA

View Full Version : Free State Project

LibertiORDeth
12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
How many here are going to be apart of this?

Lyn
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Been a member since this summer. Plan on moving next summer if all works out.

LibertiORDeth
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Are you guys just moving anywhere in NH, or is there a certain destination to start with? ( A county, perhaps)?

CurtisLow
12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Why did they pick the coldest state? Why not take over NC?

murrayrothbard
12-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Why did they pick the coldest state? Why not take over NC?

NH has an extremely low state rep : citizen ratio, a small population, a history of being somewhat libertarian, low taxes, etc

GunnyFreedom
12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, there is also a Wyoming Free State Project, no? I have been toying with a move to Wyoming for a few years now - only worried about being able to make a living there.

fsk
12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
If you want to set up a "free state project" group, you can do so without moving.

All you need to do is find people willing to trade and work off-the-books. If you're careful, the bad guys won't find out that you're working and not paying taxes.

jgmaynard
12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
If you want to set up a "free state project" group, you can do so without moving.

That's not what people are talking about. What they are talking about is this project (http://www.freestateproject.org/).

I've been a member of the FSP since 2002 and have been through everything with that group.

And as for your question Luke, we are moving all over the state. There's a few reasons for this:

1) There is a huge difference between the way people (especially NHites) respond to 20,000 activists moving to a state and working as activists to raise awareness about issues and they way they would respond to a "takeover" politically, of say, Concord.

2) NH is so small geograhically, that we can stay in easy physical contact with one another when needed, even in different areas of the state.

3) This also allows us to be a net gain to communities where we land - 20k new people (say in Concord with 60k people) would severly overstrech the infrastructure, housing and job markets, etc. Instead, our members, who are largely self-employed, are able to create jobs (eg., Murphy's Tap Room). That means neighbors are more likely to give us a lot better reception.

and

4) NH has so many diverse climates and areas that different people naturally want to move to different areas - professional students are far more interested in and likey to move to a college town like Keene than a far-northern area. A "Leave me alone" type is more likely to go up north and would be less likely to move to NH if we were telling them what to do.

5) Even if we DID want to tell them where to go (which we don't - most of the time ;) ), do you REALLY think they would listen to us? :D

Hope that helps.

JM

Richie
12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I think the Free State Project is a brilliant thing. It's one of the few sane things in the LP, and I'm an LPer!

jgmaynard
12-11-2007, 12:21 AM
The FSP is non-partisan, but LPer's make up a large percentage of our group.

There was also a recent endorsement of the FSP (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CI9ZjjEtH4g) by someone we all know and love...

JM

LibertiORDeth
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
That's not what people are talking about. What they are talking about is this project (http://www.freestateproject.org/).

I've been a member of the FSP since 2002 and have been through everything with that group.

And as for your question Luke, we are moving all over the state. There's a few reasons for this:

1) There is a huge difference between the way people (especially NHites) respond to 20,000 activists moving to a state and working as activists to raise awareness about issues and they way they would respond to a "takeover" politically, of say, Concord.

2) NH is so small geograhically, that we can stay in easy physical contact with one another when needed, even in different areas of the state.

3) This also allows us to be a net gain to communities where we land - 20k new people (say in Concord with 60k people) would severly overstrech the infrastructure, housing and job markets, etc. Instead, our members, who are largely self-employed, are able to create jobs (eg., Murphy's Tap Room). That means neighbors are more likely to give us a lot better reception.

and

4) NH has so many diverse climates and areas that different people naturally want to move to different areas - professional students are far more interested in and likey to move to a college town like Keene than a far-northern area. A "Leave me alone" type is more likely to go up north and would be less likely to move to NH if we were telling them what to do.

5) Even if we DID want to tell them where to go (which we don't - most of the time ;) ), do you REALLY think they would listen to us? :D

Hope that helps.

JM

So this goes into effect once there is 20k ppl participating right? And theres half that i believe? When did this start, and when is the estimated time to reach 20k people? (And why wait, why not just move there now)?