PDA

View Full Version : Poe Leaves House Freedom Caucus After Health Plan Defeat

TheCount
03-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Rep. Ted Poe announced Sunday he has resigned from the conservative House Freedom Caucus over its opposition to the Republican health care plan, becoming the group's first public casualty in the fall-out over its role in defeating the bill.

"In order to deliver on the conservative agenda we have promised the American people for eight years, we must come together to find solutions to move this country forward," the Texas Republican said in a statement. "Saying no is easy, leading is hard, but that is what we were elected to do. Leaving this caucus will allow me to be a more effective member of Congress and advocate for the people of Texas. It is time to lead."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/03/26/politics/poe-resigns-freedom-caucus/index.html

sparebulb
03-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Poe was probably just an informer.

His cover is blown.

He is free to openly date Lindsey now.

juleswin
03-26-2017, 05:33 PM
This movie clip should be played for every member of the freedom caucus. I cannot for the life of me understand why everybody is treating this small failure like it is the end of the world. Retool, regroup and reintroduce a revised bill and keep doing it until you succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcGuFnl7ZU

phill4paul
03-26-2017, 05:59 PM
"Saying no is easy,

Apparently not for some.

Superfluous Man
03-26-2017, 06:10 PM
This movie clip should be played for every member of the freedom caucus. I cannot for the life of me understand why everybody is treating this small failure like it is the end of the world.

What small failure? Trumpcare losing was a major victory for the Freedom Caucus.

timosman
03-26-2017, 06:34 PM
What small failure? Trumpcare losing was a major victory for the Freedom Caucus.

They did not pass a single payer?:confused:

anaconda
03-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Poe appears to advocate for the type of "bipartisanship" that Ron Paul feels we have had far too much of.

TheCount
03-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Poe appears to advocate for the type of "bipartisanship" that Ron Paul feels we have had far too much of."Victory" at any cost.

eleganz
03-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Not everyone in the HFC wanted to oppose, so I believe the group voted and the majority for oppose won. Not surprising someone would leave, just one less non-conservative to have to worry about.

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Saying no is easy,

Apparently not for some.

Yeah that stuck out like a sore thumb. Saying "yes" is what is easy for the D.C. whores.

Carlybee
03-26-2017, 10:54 PM
I don't know why he was in it to begin with. He used to be a judge.

dannno
03-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Good, this will help them stand more united. Can Rand join?

Jan2017
03-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Good, this will help them stand more united. Can Rand join?

Good trade for the GOP Revolt Caucus -
Poe for Frelinghuysen, Dent, Herrera-Beutler and future considerations - spring training will be over soon.

jmdrake
03-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Poe appears to advocate for the type of "bipartisanship" that Ron Paul feels we have had far too much of.

"Victory" at any cost.
TheCount, I'm not sure what "victory" or "cost" are you talking about. Poe wanting "victory" at the cost of compromise, or the Freedom Caucus wanting "victory" at the cost of alienating marginal allies like Poe?

TheCount
03-27-2017, 08:56 AM
@TheCount (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?u=58229), I'm not sure what "victory" or "cost" are you talking about. Poe wanting "victory" at the cost of compromise, or the Freedom Caucus wanting "victory" at the cost of alienating marginal allies like Poe?Providing a "victory" to the party and Trump of doing a thing that they said they would do (health care) at the "cost" of principles. Kind of a 'we will pass this bill no matter how terrible it is because we said we would' sort of thing.

jmdrake
03-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Providing a "victory" to the party and Trump of doing a thing that they said they would do (health care) at the "cost" of principles. Kind of a 'we will pass this bill no matter how terrible it is because we said we would' sort of thing.

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up! Here's the sad part. The quickest way to "victory" would have been to vote on Rand's bill. If there are "moderates" who won't vote for a real repeal then they should be made to expose themselves.

William Tell
03-27-2017, 09:26 AM
I don't know why he was in it to begin with. He used to be a judge.

Bragging rights. So he could say he's in the conservative caucus. Not worth it when there's heat from POTUS involved apparently.

TheCount
03-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up! Here's the sad part. The quickest way to "victory" would have been to vote on Rand's bill. If there are "moderates" who won't vote for a real repeal then they should be made to expose themselves.That's why they didn't do it. Everyone would have had to vote yes, and then they wouldn't have been able to gather the votes to implement a replacement. They would have ended up with a clean repeal, which is very clearly not what they want.

Instead, they tried to force a shitty bill through and then 'fix' it later.

Likewise, rather than fixing the shitty bill, they are now hoping that Obamacare will collapse to such a degree that representatives will not have any alternative but to vote for their shitty bill.

seapilot
03-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up! Here's the sad part. The quickest way to "victory" would have been to vote on Rand's bill. If there are "moderates" who won't vote for a real repeal then they should be made to expose themselves.

I was hoping for a vote on Rand's (same as in 2015) bill as well. Maybe that is why Ryan put this bill out instead, in order to make the Freedom caucus seem like the obstructionists. He is a slimy one.

Suzanimal
03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
"In order to deliver on the conservative agenda we have promised the American people for eight years...

:rolleyes: