PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Last Election Financing

billv
05-19-2007, 01:50 AM
While digging around, I found that Ron Paul's financing in the last election, where he ran for re-election to the House of Representatives, was almost entirely financed by private individuals, 96.8 percent to be exact. He only took 2.1 percent from Political Action Committees. Compare that to say Nancy Pelosi, who earned a similar amount of campaign contributions, she has 67 percent Political Action Comittee donations. Good to see further evidence that Ron isn't a man to be bought out by special interests.

See charts here:

Ron Paul (http://opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?CID=N00005906&cycle=2006)
Nancy Pelosi (http://opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?CID=N00005906&cycle=2006)

billv
05-19-2007, 01:54 AM
After looking further into this, I see that so far, out of 15 congressman, only 1 had a 20% contribution from PAC's and most of them had contributions from PAC's of 40 or 50 percent. I think what this means is that the PAC's, all of which I'm sure want something from Washington, know not to support Ron because he won't be bought out.

mdh
05-19-2007, 08:51 AM
If Ron Paul is polling well (over 15% or so) 6 months before the primaries or any time thereafter, expect them to start throwing huge sums of money into anti-Ron Paul adverts, too.

furface
05-19-2007, 08:54 AM
I find these facts very disturbing. What it says is that our government is bought and paid for by special interests who want to use it for their own personal gain. I know it presents a favorable impression of RP, but it looks very bad for our government. I suppose we all knew that, but it's disturbing when you find more facts to bear it out.

MsDoodahs
05-19-2007, 08:58 AM
As I have said before, Dr. Paul is not a bought and paid for candidate. He is not beholden to corporations and monied groups.

This is why he CAN say what he believes.

Other candidates have to tiptoe around and make sure they "appease" various entities that fund them.

MsDoodahs
05-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I read the other day that Mitt Romney's wealth totals something like 500 million dollars.

Do any of you think that man has ever once in his entire life stepped foot into a Walmart - alone - to actually pick up some toilet paper or dish soap or something?

The big boys have NO CLUE what LIFE is like for average americans.

I think Ron Paul DOES know. I believe this is yet another HUGE ADVANTAGE for him.

mdh
05-19-2007, 09:32 AM
We should spread the rumor that Giuliani is a scientologist. Cha-ching.
:)

billv
05-19-2007, 04:23 PM
LOL, I don't want to, as Ron Paul supporter, stoop to the low end of campaign tactics =).

billv
05-19-2007, 04:24 PM
http://www.opensecrets.org has all the campaign finance information on there for all the elected officials in Congress for the past several terms. Very interesting information on there.

lbadragan
05-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I read the other day that Mitt Romney's wealth totals something like 500 million dollars.

Do any of you think that man has ever once in his entire life stepped foot into a Walmart - alone - to actually pick up some toilet paper or dish soap or something?

The big boys have NO CLUE what LIFE is like for average americans.

I think Ron Paul DOES know. I believe this is yet another HUGE ADVANTAGE for him. You're mistaken on Romney. He went from $0 to $500,000,000 on his own. He is a self-made man. Very intelligent and a competent leader. But he's not true to the constitution, is now part of the establishment, and his foreign policy is scary. I question his character as well. I'm too cynical to believe that his views "changed" at the same time it was convenient to do so.

Korey Kaczynski
05-20-2007, 10:54 AM
We should spread the rumor that Giuliani is a scientologist. Cha-ching.
:)

With his cross-dressing incestual lifestyle, I don't think that's necessary :D

surf
05-20-2007, 11:03 AM
NORML PAC has given Paul $1000 for the past few years.

Romney: the head of Salt Lake Olympic Organizing Committe, i believe. if i remember correctly, there was a ton of corruption in the selection process (for some reason Utah colleges were giving out scholarships for kids from around the globe that, coincidentally, were offspring of the humungously corrupt International Olympic Committee members....)

mdh
05-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey, just remember when you talk about incest that WV has stricter laws on who you can marry than Maryland does. :p

MsDoodahs
05-20-2007, 11:06 AM
You're mistaken on Romney. He went from $0 to $500,000,000 on his own. He is a self-made man. Very intelligent and a competent leader. But he's not true to the constitution, is now part of the establishment, and his foreign policy is scary. I question his character as well. I'm too cynical to believe that his views "changed" at the same time it was convenient to do so.

I completely disagree with your claim that Romney is a "self made man."

He is the son of a monied and powerful individual.

Mitt was BORN into wealth and power.

"His influential father was thrice elected Governor of Michigan, and was appointed Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the Richard M. Nixon administration. Romney had a pampered upbringing, attending the Cranbrook Schools in Bloomfield Hills. The Romneys are devoutly Mormon, and he went on to Brigham Young University before matriculating at Harvard Business School and then Harvard Law School.

In 1984, Romney founded Bain Capital, an investment company that quickly came to own hundreds of other companies, including Staples, Domino's Pizza, Bright Horizons Childcare, Sealy, FTD Florists, Brookstone, and The Sports Authority."

I take it that you WERE unaware of Mitt's pampered life and that lack of awareness caused you to make what I find an OUTRAGEOUS claim that Mitt went from ZERO to FIVE HUNDRED MILLION all by his widdle self.

Now, you ARE aware.

So I say again: MITT ROMNEY HAS NO CLUE WHAT LIFE IS LIKE FOR THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF AMERICANS.