PDA

View Full Version : How Popular is True Freedom, really?

Mental Dribble
12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I've become somewhat worried over the last few days.

In the beginning I thought, TRUE Freedom and the idea that others should be able to live the life they want to live without harming you would be a wildly popular idea.

But lately it seems as if so many people who claim to want that, or say they lean that way suddenly freeze up or switch back over to the other side, when an issue arises in which they feel their way is the "right way".

Last night I had a discussion with a lady who was "totally against" legislating morality, up until, at an hour into the talk the topic of civil unions and gay marriage came up. Then suddenly its ok for the some people to use the government to impose their morality and views on everyone else.

A couple days before that I was talking to a guy that was all about individual freedom as well until it came to drug use, suddenly he switched gears and said that government has the right to outlaw substances that harm us...

It just seems like so many people are all about true Freedom when it matches what THEY want to do, but when it comes to real true freedom, the type of freedom that allows a person to choose their own actions, for better or for worse, they grow cold.

Could this be what’s holding many people back from supporting Ron Paul? That in fact many people don't actually want TRUE freedom but instead what the Freedom that aligns with their own moralistic and ethical views of the world?

If so, this deeply saddens me.

Kapt Nemo
12-10-2007, 11:01 AM
A couple days before that I was talking to a guy that was all about individual freedom as well until it came to drug use, suddenly he switched gears and said that government has the right to outlaw substances that harm us...

I hope you reminded him that Tobacco and Alcohol are both legal (Taxable drugs) drugs... And that marijuana, cocaine, heroin, extascy and the rest of the "illegal" drugs kill less people annually than Tobacco and Alcohol combined...

Lucid American
12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
True freedom requires a level of responsibility many people don't want -- it leaves them feeling naked. We've all grown in a nation where sovereignty of the nation is preached but at the expense of individual sovereignty.

True freedom is scary when one is bombarded every day about the evils of a society unworthy of true freedom.

firebirdnation
12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't forget Dr. Paul would allow the states to create their own drug laws. When I talk to people who disagree with an issue such as this, I just remind them of this fact and it usually diffuses the situation.

I personally haven't used any kind of drug, including alcohol, for over 12 years now, but I have no problem with the legalization of drugs. Our prisons would be empty, the drug dealers would be put out of business, and the gangs would no longer be able to afford their weapons. We could then use the extra prison space to house violent criminals and sexual predators indefinitely. Its an all around win/win situation IMO.