PDA

View Full Version : OR-Multnomah County offers incentives for homeowners to house homeless in backyards

Anti Federalist
03-18-2017, 01:18 AM
I wonder how long until this is "mandatory".

It is unfair, comrade, for you to have all the valuable space just for dogs and kids to run around on.

Multnomah County offers incentives for homeowners to house homeless in backyards

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/03/multnomah_county_wants_to_ince.html

With more than $300,000 and volunteer homeowners, Multnomah County has a new idea to fight homelessness: Build tiny houses in people's backyards and rent them out to families with children now living on the street.

The homeowners would pay nothing for the construction. They would become landlords and maintain the units for homeless families for five years.

Then the tiny houses would become theirs to do with what they want. If the homeowners break the contract before then, they pay the cost of construction.

The project would put the 8-month-old joint homeless office - a shared effort between the county and Portland -- in the housing business while offering an innovative, if so far small-scale, way to chip away at Portland's affordable housing shortage.

Four tiny houses are tentatively scheduled to launch this June at $75,000 apiece, with the hope for up to 300 accessory dwelling units as they're known in the next year if the first ones work out.

The Multnomah County Idea Lab, a 2-year-old office focused on using out-of-the-box thinking to create public policy, combined tactics of the Federal Emergency Management Agency with a county weatherization program to come up with the plan.

The tiny houses would help fill the need for low-income housing before the recently passed Portland housing bond and private developers can build the 24,000 units that studies say the city needs to stem its housing crisis.

"Those units are not going to come on line for another two to three years and they're really expensive to build in some cases," said lab director Mary Li. "We have people on the street now."

Supporters hope to be able to reduce the cost per house if the project expands, but the price tag is still cheaper than government-funded shelter beds per year. A family of four costs $32,000 a year to house and help in a shelter.

That same family could be supported in one of the pilot project's tiny houses for $15,000 a year during the five-year contract.

Once in the tiny houses, the families will plug into existing county services, including a mobile team that helps people stay in their homes after experiencing homelessness. That includes resolving disputes with landlords, helping manage unexpected expenses and job help.

Meyer Memorial Trust and the joint city-county homeless office are contributing $175,000 each to the pilot program.

If the county decides to expand the project, Li and her team would return to city and county officials to ask for more money.

So far, the idea has Mayor Ted Wheeler's support, as well as the county's.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2017, 01:24 AM
For half of that you could get twice the home in a single wide, if you just relax the zoning restrictions.

https://factoryexpo.net/floorplan/lakeview/

Oh, but no, can't have that, we're going to spend twice as much and have homeless camp out in your back yard.

agitator
03-18-2017, 01:29 AM
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fjaxpsychogeo.files.wordpress.com%2 F2012%2F06%2Ftrailer-2.jpg&f=1

tod evans
03-18-2017, 05:04 AM
$75k?

These look like kids built garden sheds.........

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2017/03/07/-6fa62d056b4af1d8.JPG

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2017/03/07/-437764b38dd50d20.JPG

http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width960/img/oregonian/photo/2017/03/07/-b8f56d0ef8f206bc.JPG

tod evans
03-18-2017, 05:16 AM
I figured it out!

^^^^^^^ This crap was designed and built by the Hipster Construction Co. ^^^^^^^^^^

https://spfaust.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/the-four-hipsters.jpg

Notice not a visible callous or scar, no scuffed boots or ripped knees..........Exactly what kind of person could justify spending $75k on a roll-off shed....

Origanalist
03-18-2017, 06:44 AM
These frikkin people are insane, literally. No wonder Trump looks good to so many people, you have real, live lunatics running over half the country.

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 07:03 AM
the families will plug into existing county services, including a mobile team that helps people stay in their homes after experiencing homelessness. That includes resolving disputes with landlords, helping manage unexpected expenses and job help.

And some are going to think they are getting a great deal. Until zero dark thirty comes kicking in the door.

specsaregood
03-18-2017, 07:05 AM
$75k?

Are those legit? wtf.

Origanalist
03-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Are those legit? wtf.

Government efficiency on display.

tod evans
03-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Are those legit? wtf.

Cut-n-paste from the link in the OP....

I'd ASSume that's what the author is talking about given the pictures are in the article....

specsaregood
03-18-2017, 07:17 AM

I'd ASSume that's what the author is talking about given the pictures are in the article....

They must be attempting to make the "homeless" feel at home by building em out of scrap materials or someshit.

Nothing says housing a homeless person in your backyard than building a house that looks like it was constructed by the homeless.

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 07:18 AM
$75k?

Hell, I might have to move out there and set up shop for a coupla years once the program starts rolling. :p Seriously, I don't think these little shacks are what is proposed. $75k is about the going price on nice 200-300sqft. tiny homes. They are going to have to include a bathroom (shower/shitter) and have electrical hook up I'm sure.
Which is another thing the home owner is going to have to think about, and the city, plumbing is going to have to be connected to city sewer and the electrical is going to have to come off the house or another meter is going to have to be set.

Origanalist
03-18-2017, 07:19 AM
Lol, 2nd comment you read on the article;

jimdeavnTexas 8 minutes ago
$75,000 apiece? That's ridiculous. My house here in Texas is isn't worth much more and way way bigger. On a third of an acre to boot.

A quick search online reveals these:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS719US719&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Storage+sheds&tbm=shop&

tod evans
03-18-2017, 07:19 AM
They must be attempting to make the "homeless" feel at home by building em out of scrap materials or someshit.

Nothing says housing a homeless person in your backyard than building a house that looks like it was constructed by the homeless.

Careful, you'll trigger the architect.....

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Lol, 2nd comment you read on the article;

How much is a bus ticket from Oregon to Texas?

tod evans
03-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Hell, I might have to move out there and set up shop for a coupla years once the program keeps rolling. :p Seriously, I don't think these little shacks are what is proposed. $75k is about the going price on nice 200-300sqft. tiny homes. They are going to have to include a bathroom (shower/shitter) and have electrical hook up I'm sure.
Which is another thing the home owner is going to have to think about, and the city, plumbing is going to have to be connected to city sewer and the electrical is going to have to come off the house or another meter is going to have to be set.

You'll need a substantial bank loan to cover you for 120 days while you wait on government checks, a lawyer on call to deal with the bureaucrats and at least one 'minority' on staff in order to qualify just to bid on the work..........

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 07:38 AM
If I'm not mistaken there is a plethora of shipping containers in Oregon. Seems to me this would be the most cost effective basic structure to begin with.

http://smallhousebliss.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/casa-cubica-exterior1-via-smallhousebliss.jpg?w=960

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 07:41 AM
You'll need a substantial bank loan to cover you for 120 days while you wait on government checks, a lawyer on call to deal with the bureaucrats and at least one 'minority' on staff in order to qualify just to bid on the work..........

Ya got that right.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2017, 09:06 AM

To be completely accurate, so zip and cpud or whomever else doesn't come and shoot you down, those are examples from another, different project:

City and county officials also supported an alternative shelter idea that relies on the tiny house model in the Kenton neighborhood, where 14 "sleeping pods" are going -- just big enough for a homeless person to sleep in and store belongings. The Kenton project will be for women and last a year, when advocates and officials will figure out whether to expand it.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler went on a brief tour of the Kenton Neighborhood Tiny Home Pilot houses in Northeast Portland Tuesday afternoon. The tour was held in advance of Wednesday's meeting of the Kenton Neighborhood Association to vote on a Good Neighbor Agreement, which would allow for the houses to be placed in the neighborhood, a move the mayor supports. March 7, 2017 Beth Nakamura/Staff

The $75,000 ones are slightly bigger, but have not been built yet, so I can't find a picture or even a close facsimile.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Jolin expects most of the families will want to move on quickly from the tiny houses, which would be about 200 square feet, with bunkbeds for the kids and water, sanitation and plumbing. If they move out before the five-year contract is up, a new family will move in.

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 09:18 AM
To be completely accurate, so zip and cpud or whomever else doesn't come and shoot you down, those are examples from another, different project:

The Kenton project will be for women and last a year, when advocates and officials will figure out whether to expand it.

Shouldn't the feminists be raging that this is sexist? No, what am I thinking? That's only when they want to act like a harridan championing "equality" when you open a damned door for them. When they get freebie stuff then it's "Male privilege has kept us down so long we are owed this and more!"

Anti Federalist
03-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Shouldn't the feminists be raging that this is sexist? No, what am I thinking? That's only when they want to act like a harridan championing "equality" when you open a damned door for them. When they get freebie stuff then it's "Male privilege has kept us down so long we are owed this and more!"

Naturally, comrade.

opal
03-18-2017, 10:14 AM
*giggles at self*
instead of backyards.. just use golf courses

Wooden Indian
03-18-2017, 10:47 AM
I don't hate it. It's voluntary, sends tax dollars back to the people that pay them, and provides a service to help families get back on their feet. Honestly didn't read the whole article though so I might be missing something.

I wouldn't do it, don't want Uncle snooping on my land, but yeah...

Beats war spending and most other BS, imo.

phill4paul
03-18-2017, 10:56 AM
I don't hate it. It's voluntary, sends tax dollars back to the people that pay them, and provides a service to help families get back on their feet. Honestly didn't read the whole article though so I might be missing something.

Don't get me wrong, if this is how this community chooses to deal with their homeless problem I'm all for it. Like you, it is just not for me.

Wooden Indian
03-18-2017, 10:59 AM
I know some dudes that can build these Tiny Houses for a shit-ton less too. LOL Must be using some if those special $500 givernment hammers.

pcosmar
03-18-2017, 11:05 AM

Based on life experiences,, this is a good thing. but I would prefer government out of it..

Just don't prohibit it ( as is the usual case)

And yes I have been homeless in Portland..

I got a wife.

pcosmar
03-18-2017, 11:08 AM
I know some dudes that can build these Tiny Houses for a $#@!-ton less too. LOL Must be using some if those special $500 givernment hammers.

Camper trailers can be had on the cheap. Equipped and comfy. easy set up.