PDA

View Full Version : Is Barack Obama anti-war?

Ron Paul FTW
12-10-2007, 09:34 AM
What is his stance regarding the war?

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Yes he's anti-war and would talk with Iran. He's more in line with Ron's views on foreign policy.

Richie
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes he's anti-war and would talk with Iran. He's more in line with Ron's views on foreign policy.

A while back, I read that he would not take bombing Pakistan off the table.

AlexMerced
12-10-2007, 09:44 AM
he only said that to sound tough cause everyone was trying to frame him as soft, unline Paul, other people get to him

Overall, Obama isn't bad on foreign policy towards Iraq... though I wonder what's his policy towards other types of intervention.

He's better than Hillary that's for sure, and while I diagree with him, and this he still a little yellow when it comes to understanding the issues, I believe that he's honest and well intentioned.

jblosser
12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
He didn't vote against authorizing spending to bomb Iran. His pre-Senate speeches indicate he's just a regular neocon. He's saying what's popular now but he'd be business as usual if elected, whether he wanted to or not.

Kingfisher
12-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Like most polititions he says what he thinks will get him elected

Marshall
12-10-2007, 09:53 AM
He won't get out of Iraq before 2013

kylejack
12-10-2007, 09:59 AM
He won't get out of Iraq before 2013
No option is off the table with regard to Iran (i.e. pre-emptive nuclear strike)
Supports aggressive overtures in Sudan and neighboring countries http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/26/AR2005122600547.html

im_a_pepper
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I will paraphrase Barack's last 4 campaign speeches that I have heard.

'Barack Obama is for change. If Barack Obama is elected he will have change. The only way to have things change is to vote for Barack Obama. Serious issues have to be fixed in this country such as..change. We need to change. Change the war in Iraq and change our country. Change to Barack Obama. Oprah says so, 'nuff said.'

Think I just about covered his campaign there, yes?

VoteRonPaul2008
12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
He's NOT ANTI-WAR he's the biggest fake running, he'd be worse then Hillary

He said he cannot promise to have all troops out of Iraq by 2013
He said he'd invade Pakistan
He said he'd keep military option of using strikes against Iran and heres the kicker he critizes Hillary for her Iran vote but a cosponsored the same bill designating the Iranian National guard a terrorist organization

and he voted Yes to reauthorize the patriot act

what a fucking bastard

Shellshock1918
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Council of Foreign Relations.

SlapItHigh
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Obama and Bush are very similar on Foreign policy except that now Obama is against the war in Iraq (kind of). Yet he would put us in the same position in other countries. Obama advocates for all the same things that caused us to go to war in Iraq in the first place. Reading Obamas own website shows little difference in his views on foreign policy and Bush's views on foreign policy.
Obama did not try to hide the fact that his views are similar to Bush:

"There's not that much difference between my position and George Bush's position at this stage. The difference, in my mind, is who's in a position to execute." – Barack Obama, July 27, 2004

http://counterpunch.org/ruder08032004.html

More telling quotes from Obama:

"After the December 15 elections and during the course of next year, we need to focus our attention on how to reduce the US military footprint in Iraq. Notice that I say 'reduce,' and not 'fully withdraw.'" – Barack Obama, November 22, 2005

"(T)he US should not rule out military strikes to destroy nuclear production sites in Iran." – Barack Obama, Sept. 25, 2004

"When I am President, we will wage the war that has to be won, with a comprehensive strategy with five elements: getting out of Iraq and on to the right battlefield in Afghanistan and Pakistan ..." – Barack Obama, August 1, 2007

"Never has it been more important for America to lead wisely, to shrewdly project power and wield influence ... In every region of the globe, our foreign policy should promote traditional American ideals." – Barack Obama, speech to the Council on Foreign Relations, July 4, 2004

He straight up promotes preemptive war. He is not strong on pulling out troops out of Iraq soon. If he were elected potus and after how ever many years he finally did bring our troops home he's be sending them back to the area right away. I don't want to end the war in Iraq just to start another one. Can't we stop this? Can't we the people stand up and elect someone who won't keep thrusting us into unjust wars??
Yeah, neo-cons even like what Obama has to say on foreign policy:

"(Obama's foreign policy) delights neoconservative guru Robert Kagan, who summed up Obama's message succinctly: 'His critique is not that we've meddled too much but that we haven't meddled enough.… To Obama, everything and everyone everywhere is of strategic concern to the United States.'"
– Ira Chernus, July 22, 2007, Democratic Double-Speak on Iraq

http://www.barackobama.com/2007/04/23/the_american_moment_remarks_to.php

He says that protecting the American people is the #1 job of the potus yet he seems far more concerned with America being the #1 super power and nation building and being a "key player" in the middle eastern region, etc. He lacks a fundamental understanding of why we have the problems we have and how our meddling around the world has effected terrorism.

Obama the Interventionist - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042702027.html

paulitics
12-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Obama seems more sane on foreign policy, but I think he would yield to his masters.

integrity
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM

nuff said....

hellah10
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM

post of the year

amonasro
12-10-2007, 12:11 PM
What about his manadory civil service for HS students??? I was astounded when I read that on his site.

angrydragon
12-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Sure, he's anti-Republican war, but he's pro-Democratic war.

fedup100
12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
He is a CFR neocon black shill and will say anything to get elected.

Opra Winfry is an idiot who does not live any longer in the real world.

Bush has taught all of them you can lie through your teeth to get into office and then continue the plan to dismantle our Country.

When the &^$% really hits the fan, I want all the wealth stripped from all these people that helped bring this grand country to her death.

Paulitician
12-10-2007, 01:19 PM
He's seems extremely soft about his positions on anti-war in Iraq and anti-military action against Iran. He smells exactly like a shapeshifting politician. Not a leader. He might turn out to be just fine and dandy on foreign policy, but there are a lot of signs that say he wont be.

rodent
12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
After Ron, I think Obama is the most electable. Not because I agree with him, but because everyone else is evil or just has no support. God, what would it take to get America to realize small, limited government is the way to go?

iddo
12-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Obama started his pro-war rhetoric in 2004, see Chicago Tribune: Obama would consider missile strikes on Iran (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0409250111sep25,1,7098310.story)

Malakai0
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
He's a populist, opposing the war because it is unpopular. Like the rest of the dem media chosen front runners.

Also like Hillary, he eludes to setting a date and would not promise to have troops out of Iraq by the end of his first term.

mmink15
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Obama was the first candidate that I liked due to his anti-war stance. After learning about Ron Paul and reading "A Foreign Policy of Freedom" I have decided that Ron Paul and his non-intervention stance is the only true anti-war stance. This is a chance to make a step towards world peace people! It won't happen overnight, but if the strongest military in the world decided to mind their own business while remaining at the ready (armed neutrality) a new standard for civilized living would be set overnight and we would be respected as a nation not resented.

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Aside from Ron and Kucinich, Obama is the least hawkish/interventionist of anyone in the race. He opposed the Iraq war from the beginning, and said he would sit down with Iran with no conditions and talk to them like human beings.

JDeVriese
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
What every candidate except Dr. Paul has in common is that they still support a United States presence in the Middle East/Arabian Peninsula. Each one has different rhetoric on their Iraq stance, but all of them except Dr. Paul unanimously supports a presence in that region. Dr. Paul is different in the sense that he doesn't want any U.S. taxpayer-funded presence in the area. It's not so much as any of the candidates are pro/anti-war, but rather do they advocate a U.S. presence in the region. Dr. Paul does not whereas the others do.

amistybleu
12-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought his wife was in the CFR? just something I heard, is it true?

Because that entity is war mongering for the superstate.