PDA

View Full Version : Huge Navy Scandal Unearthed

AuH20
03-15-2017, 05:22 PM
thank you for your service. :D;)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/navy-bribery-scandal-widens-sordid-details-emerge-46137785

Officers in a burgeoning Navy bribery scandal called themselves the Lion King's Harem, the Wolfpack, the Cool Kids and the Brotherhood. They scouted for others who might also accept sex, trips and other lavish perks from a Malaysian defense contractor known as "Fat Leonard" in exchange for classified information.

Allegations outlined in an indictment unsealed in San Diego on Tuesday give more details in the 3-year-old scandal that had appeared to be fading before re-emerging even bigger and more sordid than before.

Nine current and former military officers were charged in the latest indictment, including a recently retired rear admiral who collected foreign intelligence for the Navy's Seventh Fleet.

It gives an extensive list of bribes to the officers from 2006 to 2012 from Leonard Francis in exchange for classified shipping schedules and other information to help his company, Glenn Defense Marine Asia. In one example, a party with prostitutes at the Manila Hotel's MacArthur Suite during a 2007 port call to the Philippines included sex acts using historic MacArthur memorabilia.

Five executives of Francis' company also have been charged. Francis has pleaded guilty to fraud and is awaiting sentencing.

"This is a fleecing and betrayal of the United States Navy in epic proportions, and it was allegedly carried out by the Navy's highest-ranking officers," said Alana W. Robinson, the acting U.S. attorney in San Diego.

To date, 13 defendants have pleaded guilty, including another admiral who was sentenced in June and is believed to be the first active-duty Naval flag officer charged in federal court. Other cases are pending.

oyarde
03-15-2017, 05:27 PM
How much did Fat Leonard profit from the Admirals ?

AuH20
03-15-2017, 05:28 PM
How much did Fat Leonard profit from the Admirals ?

Under 100 million or so. That's what the article implied.

AuH20
03-15-2017, 05:30 PM
If these guys can be bought off so cheaply, does anyone think they care about the Constitution? I don't.

oyarde
03-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Under 100 million or so. That's what the article implied.

That covers some prostitutes in Manila and plenty left . I am not sure it was Fat Leonard they should be prosecuting though . Only 9 officers ?

AuH20
03-15-2017, 05:32 PM
That covers some prostitutes in Manila and plenty left . I am not sure it was Fat Leonard they should be prosecuting though . Only 9 officers ?

30 implicated. Still no word on the final number.

oyarde
03-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Ol' Doug ( MacArthur ) would not approve .

oyarde
03-15-2017, 05:36 PM
30 implicated. Still no word on final number.

I hope they get them all . I also hope everyone reads this and knows if it was just an ordinary branch of govt none of them would be charged. Not a single one , say FBI , EPA , ATF , CIA etc

AuH20
03-15-2017, 05:37 PM
I hope they get them all . I also hope everyone reads this and knows if it was just an ordinary branch of govt none of them would be charged. Not a single one , say FBI , EPA , ATF , CIA etc

Agreed. The civilian scum seem to be far more protected than their MIL counterparts.

phill4paul
03-15-2017, 05:37 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o5fH8wg1oZw/U210HFUSXXI/AAAAAAAACSw/abPEV_4wMp4/s1600/index%5B1%5D.jpg