PDA

View Full Version : Trump to pull back EPA’s fuel efficiency determination....

phill4paul
03-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Another + in the Trump -/+ list. Assuming anything comes from it.

A senior White House official confirmed Tuesday that President Trump will reexamine fuel efficiency standards set in place during the Obama administration, opening the door for the regulations to potentially be reduced in the coming years.

The Environmental Protection Agency ignored “a voluminous record of data” when it determined earlier this year that the regulations were appropriate, and the agency plans to formally rescind that decision on Wednesday, the official said. The EPA will then restart a review of the fuel efficiency rules that is expected to be complete in 2018.

“We’re going to pull back the EPA’s determination because we don’t think it’s right and we’re going to spend another year looking at the data in front of us,” the official said. Trump will make the announcement Wednesday during a visit with automakers in Detroit.

Trump will not take steps Wednesday to revoke a waiver that allows California and a dozen other states to enforce emissions standards beyond those of the EPA, the official said. If those regulations remain intact, automakers will still be compelled to produce more fuel efficient cars regardless of any changes at the federal level.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2017/03/15/trump-to-pull-back-epas-fuel-efficiency-determination-opening-the-door-for-reduced-standards/?utm_term=.923d0d91568e

eleganz
03-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Lol liberals won't know whether to hate Trump for making gas cars dirtier or like him for making renewable energy cars more attractive.

Anti Federalist
03-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Lol liberals won't know whether to hate Trump for making gas cars dirtier or like him for making renewable energy cars more attractive.

Well, they'll have to keep hating him for imagined things then, because rolling back the insane CAFE and emissions standards set by the Obama administration will not do either of things: they will not make cars "dirtier" nor will they improve the economics of renewable energy cars.

Not that I know that there is such a thing as a "renewable" energy car.

Agreed with the OP, this is major + to be added, if in fact he follows through with it.

eleganz
03-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Well, they'll have to keep hating him for imagined things then, because rolling back the insane CAFE and emissions standards set by the Obama administration will not do either of things: they will not make cars "dirtier" nor will they improve the economics of renewable energy cars.

Not that I know that there is such a thing as a "renewable" energy car.

Agreed with the OP, this is major + to be added, if in fact he follows through with it.

Didn't know I had to explain it further.

Less mpg = burn more gas for the same distance traveled (dirtier).

Less mpg also = driving people to go electric or hybrid or in a few years time, hydrogen (renewable).

Doesn't matter what side of the issue you stand on for this topic but the above scenarios still take place.

Brian4Liberty
03-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Less mpg also = driving people to go electric or hybrid or in a few years time, hydrogen (renewable).

Doesn't matter what side of the issue you stand on for this topic but the above scenarios still take place.

Except that the commie bastards running California can't give up revenue, so they will just add taxes to vehicles that don't use gas so that they can make up for lost gas taxes. They now require hybrids to get smog checks, just to keep stealing money.

Keith and stuff
03-15-2017, 11:39 PM

I guess his point is that cars aren't likely to get less mpg. If anything, they will still continue to improve, getting more mpg under what was hinted at as Trump's plan. I guess your point is that sure cars are likely to get around the same or more mpg under what was hinted at as Trump's plan, but the improvements in mpg will take longer under Trump than what Obama wanted. You may have shortened that to mean dirtier? I think it is just a misunderstanding on both of your parts, but I have to guess at what you saying but it is a little confusing :)